The James Bond Questions Thread

Comments

MrBond wrote:
    Isn't Mathis just a contact who is working for some sort of station in Europe. Just like Kerim
    Bey did (Station T). And Silva, well he could've borned in another country but perhaps moved to the UK in his teens?

I'm not up on the current realistic ways government agencies work, but would it be a possibility that Silva began working of MI6 as a defected agent? I was reading about Aldrich Ames (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aldrich_Ames) and there was a lot of material for agents that turned sides. Silva would have been an agent during that time period where people would be jumping sides.
    One name: Darko Kerim Bey. Granted, his mother was british, but he was a turkish citizen, and so were his son. But he was head of station T in Istanbul. So, it's quite possible for a foreign (not british) national to work for the british secret services (at least in the world of James Bond).
  • In Goldeneye, is there a deleted scene or line that explains Ouromov's impersonation of Admiral Farrel? It always strikes me as odd that we simply see Xenia arrive at the helicopter demonstration with an exact lookalike without any hint that it's really elaborate makeup.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    In the Fleming novels, Did Blofeld have a cat?
    I was just thinking; the lady in the hotel in the opening of TSWLM (the one who seduces Bond while the little bald guy tries to shoot him) is she just a girl hoping to get her rocks off with 007? I always thought she was in the employ of the villain and was send there to lull Bond into a false sense of security.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Murdock wrote:
    In the Fleming novels, Did Blofeld have a cat?

No he did not.
  • I was just thinking; the lady in the hotel in the opening of TSWLM (the one who seduces Bond while the little bald guy tries to shoot him) is she just a girl hoping to get her rocks off with 007? I always thought she was in the employ of the villain and was send there to lull Bond into a false sense of security.

You mean the woman in Fekkesh's apartment, right? She seemed to be working with the assassins but quickly developed a liking for James and didn't want him killed just yet?

This question may be silly but one of the taglines for Moonraker was "Where all the other Bonds end... this one begins!" What the heck does that mean? In terms of excitement?

• TOFANA007TOFANA007 Banned
    in GOLDENEYE what Brosnan say when his driving instuctor say "You really think its ok to drive quite so fast?" and what he say? "More awkward than you think"???
    I think it's 'More often than you'd think'. Although when I was a kid I thought he said 'after', which puzzled me for years. I wish these damn Bond's would quit mumbling!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Yeah, he says "More often than you'd think."

Even to this day, I've still found myself slightly confused with two of Judi Dench's lines: the first about "At the rate money changes hands, you could probably find a tenner in my wallet with a tag." I had no idea what the word 'tenner' was, and wallet sounded like 'walborough' or something. Confused the hell out of me.

The second is in SF when she tells Silva about "not having remembered you at all" or something, when he's in the cage and they're initially talking. Still confuses me.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    Creasy47 wrote:

Even to this day, I've still found myself slightly confused with two of Judi Dench's lines: the first about "At the rate money changes hands, you could probably find a tenner in my wallet with a tag." I had no idea what the word 'tenner' was, and wallet sounded like 'walborough' or something. Confused the hell out of me.

The second is in SF when she tells Silva about "not having remembered you at all" or something, when he's in the cage and they're initially talking. Still confuses me.

"Tenner" is a ten pound note.

And about the one in SF, i think it's quite clear that she remembers Silva. She just want to hide that by saying that line.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    MrBond wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

And about the one in SF, i think it's quite clear that she remembers Silva. She just want to hide that by saying that line.

That's how I feel about Bond saying Silva killing Severine was a waste of scotch. I think that since Bond and Silva had been trying to constantly 1-up each other Bond didn't want to make it seem like Severine meant anything to him or that he was affected by her death that Silva surprised him with, so he said that line to try and appear callous when he really wasn't.
    Yeah, I had no idea what a 'tenner' was until I looked it up then.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    MrBond wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

That's how I feel about Bond saying Silva killing Severine was a waste of scotch. I think that since Bond and Silva had been trying to constantly 1-up each other Bond didn't want to make it seem like Severine meant anything to him or that he was affected by her death that Silva surprised him with, so he said that line to try and appear callous when he really wasn't.

Precisely. I don't know how many people can complain on that line, i mean. That single line harks back to the "ignorance" of the Connery days. He tries to hide his feeling with a quip. If that isn't Bond, then i don't know...
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    MrBond wrote:
    MrBond wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

Precisely. I don't know how many people can complain on that line, i mean. That single line harks back to the "ignorance" of the Connery days. He tries to hide his feeling with a quip. If that isn't Bond, then i don't know...

You can even tell by his expression and tone that he is livid. And one of the thngs Dan's Bond constantly has done in the three films is hide his feelings. Like when Solange dies, when Vesper dies and how he constantly tries to hide his feelings for her and even how he has to hide his great care for M because she is his boss. This is a common behavior for Dan's Bond.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, with Solange, he was textbook definition of cold. I loved it.

"But I don't think that's a problem for you, Bond, is it?"
    "No."

His face and how he looks away, just absolutely cold. Hides it so fast.

And again, @MrBond, I can't get over how much I love that display picture.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    Yep, he looks disgusted and empty. He just throws away a line to hide his true feeling, not just "for the sake of it" as many want's to see it.

@Creasy47 thank you!
    Creasy47 wrote:
    And again, @MrBond, I can't get over how much I love that display picture.

@Creasy47, are you talking about @MrBond's Dalton profile picture? If so, I agree! That's Bond right there, in the flesh!

• MrBondMrBond Station S
    As Dalton looks in that picture, that's not just pure cinematic Bond. But also pure Fleming Bond.

Now to something entirely different. I've heard that Bibi Dahls name from FYEO *shudders* have some sort of double meaning, but i can't for the love of god come up with it. Whats the innuendo?
    edited March 2013 Posts: 28,694
    MrBond wrote:
    Now to something entirely different. I've heard that Bibi Dahls name from FYEO *shudders* have some sort of double meaning, but i can't for the love of god come up with it. Whats the innuendo?

I wonder if it is a type of ice cream... =))

In all seriousness, the name sounds like Barbie Doll, and she was a blondie. Just throwing that suggestion out there.
    Yeah, that picture of Dalton is just 100% badass. That's really hard to top.
  • edited March 2013 Posts: 2,015
    MrBond wrote:
    Whats the innuendo?
    I wonder if it is a type of ice cream... :))
    In the French version, Bond even says "I'll buy you an ice cream... (pause) with two balls" ! It succeeded in making the people laugh in the theater...

MrBond wrote:
    Whats the innuendo?
    I wonder if it is a type of ice cream... :))
    In the French version, Bond even says "I'll buy you an ice cream... (pause) with two balls" ! It succeeded in making the people laugh in the theater...
    Yeah...there is just so much wrong with that scene.
    :-&
    'A nice cream'?
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    One that popped into my mind the other day. And of course it's a Bond film, so it gives me the answer already. But how did Bond get the jet pack in place at the French chateau of Jaques Boiter?
    Also, how did he know that Boiter would go to that exact room, or the general layout of the building?
  • edited March 2013 Posts: 2,015
    In our country, such castles are often places that anyone can visit, like museums (such visits pay the bills for the owner, and the work they do to restore the historical artifacts etc help cut their taxes). The rooms where the owner actually lives are only a few of them, you don't have to wander into a maze of flats. And the surroundings are not protected much (and probably not at all in the 60's I guess). So for a French viewer at least, there's nothing "plain wrong" in this scene.

And just for the sake of it, here are the two entrances of the two JB's homes :

tumblr_me16oukP7o1ryut26o1_500.jpg

anet.jpg
    TSWLM- When Bond is planning to meet Fekkish in Cairo, why does the woman who seems to be his assistant throw herself in the path of the bullet Sandor has directed at Bond when she has barely known him for a minute?
  • edited March 2013 Posts: 4,813
    Because he's Roger Moore :x

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTuhGiJaMdiI64NT78Pku_HXc21kDv8vRNvRpcqCpsDzo618Dbo6Q

lol honestly that's bugged me ever since I saw the movie. I try to believe that she reacted the way she did because she was in between Bond and Sandor-- and just realized that that he was going to shoot through her to get Bond. But the way it was filmed, it could be anyone's guess
    I have a question. Say if Roger Moore didnt retire after AVTAK and wanted to play Bond in TLD would EON and Cubby have let Moore play Bond again? or no?
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    edited March 2013 Posts: 14,875
    TSWLM- When Bond is planning to meet Fekkish in Cairo, why does the woman who seems to be his assistant throw herself in the path of the bullet Sandor has directed at Bond when she has barely known him for a minute?

Because Bond spun Felicca (Olga Bisera) around to take the bullet at the last moment, after she screams. She knows that Sandor is going to kill Bond. I always assumed she had been bribed by Sandor in some way, but didn't want to go through with it.

fjdinardo wrote:
    I have a question. Say if Roger Moore didnt retire after AVTAK and wanted to play Bond in TLD would EON and Cubby have let Moore play Bond again? or no?

As for Roger Moore appearing in TLD, I believe that the script was originally written with Moore in mind. When he stepped down, certain parts of the film were re-written to compensate for Daltons more gritty performance.
    Hard to imagine Moore in TLD, and what the outcome would've been.