"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

GadgetMan wrote: »
    0-0 in the end. Can't feel bad about that given the circumstances, but both teams must feel really annoyed about the missed chances. The only thing of note other than that is why the hell doesn't backing into players in mid air result in a booking? One day we're going to see a really serious injury from this.

Yeah. Fair result @Fire_and_Ice_Returns got it right.

Yeah, that is dangerous play that should be looked at by the officials.

It's bizarre that it isn't talked about. The angle some players land when they fall is really worrying. It's also so easy to spot the intent of the player backing into the opponent.
    When I saw the line ups i had a feeling it woukd be a bore draw. I ended up missing the game as fell asleep lol

Going for top four decent result, going for title not good enough. We all move on to the next game which must be must win now.

I'd rather I slept through this game too, haha! You didn't miss anything.

United is very much still in this, and the teams around them aren't performing at their best. Only City looks to be the team to keep them from the top spot currently. For Arsenal, this was very much an opportunity missed. I don't like the run of games coming up either; they feel like games Arsenal can throw away points in.
  • edited February 2021 Posts: 17,291
    Not to take anything away from United's win tonight, but how did this goal stand? Is there an angle showing it hits his chest rather than the arm? To me it looks like it hits the arm first.

Edit: someone just pointed out a different angle not shown here. Never mind!
    ______

On refereeing: is there a (recent) stats update on pens awarded since VAR was introduced in the PL? Would be interesting to see if there's a significant increase in pens awarded or not.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    No way was that a pen, apparently Bednerack said Martial told him it was not a foul whilst walking down the tunnel after being sent off.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    No way was that a pen, apparently Bednerack said Martial told him it was not a foul whilst walking down the tunnel after being sent off.

I'd say it was a foul but the sending off was ridiculously unnecessary and cruel on a time already down to ten men and being hammered. It wasn't a goalscoring chance once Martial touched the ball as there's no way he's getting to the ball before the keeper does. When you factor in that Bednareck was clearly making an effort to avoid Martial but couldn't, it makes it even worse.

As a United fan, I'm delighted with the win but the shine of it is certainly dulled for me by a couple of the decisions tonight. The Southampton goal should have stood as well - a perfectly good goal. The current offside rules are atrocious.
    Hoping my Norwich boys can get back to winning ways this weekend! OTBC!!! :-bd
    RogueAgent wrote: »

Stoke at home should be a good game for Norwich, shouldn't it @RogueAgent?

Hopefully so? Had abit of mickey taking because we lost to Swansea on Friday night. But i did point out we were without Buendia as he was serving his final match ban. Also it was our third game in six days, where as Swansea had a week off!!! Go figure?!!!

Hopefully so? Had abit of mickey taking because we lost to Swansea on Friday night. But i did point out we were without Buendia as he was serving his final match ban. Also it was our third game in six days, where as Swansea had a week off!!! Go figure?!!!

Buendia is a great player, so it's no surprise Norwich missed him last week. I take it he's fit for the Stoke game?

Buendia is a great player, so it's no surprise Norwich missed him last week. I take it he's fit for the Stoke game?

He sure has a great name! ;)
    I would be shocked if anyone but City wins the PL at this point. Liverpool will never make up such a margin and Manchester United don't look strong or stable enough to keep up long term.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    City looking very impressive which pains me to say, no one will stop them this season and I think they can get better, still big players out.
    jobo wrote: »

He sure has a great name! ;)

He certainly does!
    Took me a moment to realise you were on about Man City and not Norwich City! :)) =)) Over the moon about yesterdays results in the Championship. 7 point cushion now. So proud of the lads, although it is soul destroying to constantly see and read about clubs coming in for our key players.

All being well? We gain promotion and at least keep these guys for another season as they will be guaranteed first team football! [-O< :-bd OTBC!!!!
    edited February 2021 Posts: 23,369
    How Arsenal wasn't awarded a penalty here is incredible.

edited March 2021 Posts: 23,369

The goal Arsenal conceded was a bit calamitous.

Just seen the penalty shout, looked intentional.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia

So many controversial penalties given or not given.
    Seems to happen every week.

The goal Arsenal conceded was a bit calamitous.

Just seen the penalty shout, looked intentional.

The only thing more scandalous than the pen not awarded, was the Xhaka incident. How he didn't see Wood there, is just incredible!

So many controversial penalties given or not given.
    Seems to happen every week.

There's no consistency. I'm pro VAR, but that requires the refs to use it properly and consistently. If not, why have it in the first place?

RIP Glenn Roeder, a footballing gentleman in many ways. OTBC!!! =D>
    Arsenal concede when having control of the game against Sp*rs. As you'd expect really, as Arsenal have hit the woodwork already.
    Arsenal concede when having control of the game against Sp*rs. As you'd expect really, as Arsenal have hit the woodwork already.

Not watching the game though heard it was a good goal by Lamela.

Not watching the game though heard it was a good goal by Lamela.

It was – and a completely unnecessary one to concede.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    Let's just hope we win this @Torgeirtrap not for pride. But for the sake of progression.
  • edited March 2021 Posts: 17,291
    Let's just hope we win this @Torgeirtrap not for pride. But for the sake of progression.

That's my worry @GadgetMan. It's one of those games that can define not just a season, but the project itself. It's not a title match, but an important one still.

That's my worry @GadgetMan. It's one of those games that can define not just a season, but the project itself. It's not a title match, but an important one still.

Yeah. That's it. Although, it looks like we're on the verge of winning.
    Yeah, and we did just that @Torgeirtrap :)>-

Yes! Those last ten minutes had me very worried though. The team was gifting Sp*rs two massive opportunities to get a point from this game.

But it's all about the result today. It's just great to see them winning another NLD!

Yes! Those last ten minutes had me very worried though. The team was gifting Sp*rs two massive opportunities to get a point from this game.

But it's all about the result today. It's just great to see them winning another NLD!

Yeah, I was also very nervous myself. But it turned out to be a very good result for Arsenal.

Yeah, I was also very nervous myself. But it turned out to be a very good result for Arsenal.

Indeed. At least that gives them a theoretical chance at a top six finish.