"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

@Torgeirtrap I am sure that group of fans will shout even louder, though it will impact on the atmosphere. There will no doubt as usual be numerous indifferent VIP's taking up a percentage of tickets that contribute nothing.

I fear it will be a somewhat indifferent atmosphere given how few tickets both team have available for their fans. We can only hope things go well for fans travelling, and that the game will become the final it deserves to be - or as close as possible at least.

…and just as importantly that there will be a solution to the Mkhitaryan situation.
    Ruben Loftus-Cheek out of action for a YEAR after rupturing Achilles during Boston friendly as Chelsea star is left frustrated with his club at picking up avoidable injury... and it was the owner's idea
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7038259/amp/Chelsea-midfielder-Ruben-Loftus-Cheek-faces-year-suffering-achilles-injury.html

I feel for the guy, I had a similar injury, and so close to the Europa League final.

He's really been unlucky with injuries. Looks like a real talent too. How did this type of injury affect you, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns?

Mkty certainly will need protection and assurances.

It was a cycling injury, could hardly walk for three months and had rehab for at least three months after I also had tissue damage around my ankle. Loftus Cheeks sounds worse than what I had, and him being an Elite sportsman a year out sounds about right. I was paranoid to cycle or go running for quite a while after and still get pain there, though I use the exercises I learnt through rehab most days.

Don't know what the club fear can happen, but it's difficult that a player's safety is an issue at all.

It certainly seems like a nasty injury to go through, especially when it impacts your daily life like that – also afterwards. It does make you think how the injuries athletes go through will affect their lives after their sporting careers. Tore André Flo for example, has had hip replacement.

Wear and tear can impact though sports science is much better than it was, admittedly alot of it is down to how you manage yourself also. We see it all the time with footballers having to adapt there game due to injury and age

Indeed, sports science have certainly improved, and players are much more aware on how to take care of themselves. You don't see "heavy drinkers" in modern day football for example.

The benefit of the heavy drinking is they did not feel the injuries :)) the 60's, 70's and 80's was very different for sure.

When I was a kid in the 80's there was none of this having to pay for games, admittedly there were not as many games shown

Hahaha, you might be right about that! Different times indeed.

I really don't like that you have to pay all those different broadcasters to access the football you want to see. Right now we have TV2 with the PL, EL and international games coverage, as well as half of the CL games. Viasat have the rest of the CL games, Championship/ League One and Two, The League Cup, FA Cup, Bundesliga and Ligue 1. Eurosport have the Eliteserien games, while Primera Division and Serie A is only available by a streaming service (I think).

You have some games available via the regular TV subscriptions of course, while the majority is only available through various (added) subscriptions or streaming services the broadcasters offer. Those aren't cheap!

Re. injuries, this is fantastic news! The amount of injury troubles Santi Cazorla's been through is unbelievable, and to see him playing regular football again is really great. Wish he was still an Arsenal player.

Good news about Cazorla, before his injury I think he was one of your best players for a few seasons, you were tougher to beat when he played

He was excellent, and Arsenal do miss his qualities in midfield. I hope they manage to find a player like him sometime in the future. Have my doubts they'll look at midfield this transfer window.
    RC7 wrote: »
    @Torgeirtrap I am sure that group of fans will shout even louder, though it will impact on the atmosphere. There will no doubt as usual be numerous indifferent VIP's taking up a percentage of tickets that contribute nothing.

I fear it will be a somewhat indifferent atmosphere given how few tickets both team have available for their fans. We can only hope things go well for fans travelling, and that the game will become the final it deserves to be - or as close as possible at least.

…and just as importantly that there will be a solution to the Mkhitaryan situation.
    Ruben Loftus-Cheek out of action for a YEAR after rupturing Achilles during Boston friendly as Chelsea star is left frustrated with his club at picking up avoidable injury... and it was the owner's idea
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7038259/amp/Chelsea-midfielder-Ruben-Loftus-Cheek-faces-year-suffering-achilles-injury.html

I feel for the guy, I had a similar injury, and so close to the Europa League final.

He's really been unlucky with injuries. Looks like a real talent too. How did this type of injury affect you, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns?

It was a cycling injury, could hardly walk for three months and had rehab for at least three months after I also had tissue damage around my ankle. Loftus Cheeks sounds worse than what I had, and him being an Elite sportsman a year out sounds about right. I was paranoid to cycle or go running for quite a while after and still get pain there, though I use the exercises I learnt through rehab most days.

Don't know what the club fear can happen, but it's difficult that a player's safety is an issue at all.

It certainly seems like a nasty injury to go through, especially when it impacts your daily life like that – also afterwards. It does make you think how the injuries athletes go through will affect their lives after their sporting careers. Tore André Flo for example, has had hip replacement.

Wear and tear can impact though sports science is much better than it was, admittedly alot of it is down to how you manage yourself also. We see it all the time with footballers having to adapt there game due to injury and age

Indeed, sports science have certainly improved, and players are much more aware on how to take care of themselves. You don't see "heavy drinkers" in modern day football for example.

The benefit of the heavy drinking is they did not feel the injuries :)) the 60's, 70's and 80's was very different for sure.

When I was a kid in the 80's there was none of this having to pay for games, admittedly there were not as many games shown

I really don't like that you have to pay all those different broadcasters to access the football you want to see. Right now we have TV2 with the PL, EL and international games coverage, as well as half of the CL games. Viasat have the rest of the CL games, Championship/ League One and Two, The League Cup, FA Cup, Bundesliga and Ligue 1. Eurosport have the Eliteserien games, while Primera Division and Serie A is only available by a streaming service (I think).

You have some games available via the regular TV subscriptions of course, while the majority is only available through various (added) subscriptions or streaming services the broadcasters offer. Those aren't cheap!

Re. injuries, this is fantastic news! The amount of injury troubles Santi Cazorla's been through is unbelievable, and to see him playing regular football again is really great. Wish he was still an Arsenal player.

Good news about Cazorla, before his injury I think he was one of your best players for a few seasons, you were tougher to beat when he played

Do you ever listen to ‘Athletico Mince’? Bob Mortimer does a running gag about Santi Cazorla running a prank/joke shop emporium. If you’re into his kind of humour it’s utterly amazing.

I am a fan of Vic and Bob I will look out for it, I like surreal daft humour

Just added it to my Podcast library

Added to my podcast library as well! Thanks, @RC7!

Surely they will have to replace Ramsey, read early Arsenal are in discussions about Mkty not travelling at all

Some rumours seem to indicate that Arsenal will look at their youth squad rather than the transfer market. Seems pretty likely given their transfer history and available funds. There are some real talents there, but it's a big ask for one of them to be a replacement.

I fear Mkhitaryan won't be able to travel. If this happens, it will be a massive advantage Chelsea.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

He was excellent, and Arsenal do miss his qualities in midfield. I hope they manage to find a player like him sometime in the future. Have my doubts they'll look at midfield this transfer window.

Do you ever listen to ‘Athletico Mince’? Bob Mortimer does a running gag about Santi Cazorla running a prank/joke shop emporium. If you’re into his kind of humour it’s utterly amazing.

Surely they will have to replace Ramsey, read early Arsenal are in discussions about Mkty not travelling at all

Some rumours seem to indicate that Arsenal will look at their youth squad rather than the transfer market. Seems pretty likely given their transfer history and available funds. There are some real talents there, but it's a big ask for one of them to be a replacement.

I fear Mkhitaryan won't be able to travel. If this happens, it will be a massive advantage Chelsea.

I know Mkty was injured for while though I am guessing he has been a success certainly more so than Sanchez

I know Mkty was injured for while though I am guessing he has been a success certainly more so than Sanchez

He hasn't had a fantastic season necessary, but he's played his part in the EL campaign, and Arsenal can really need him as an option. Whatever happened to Sánchez is quite strange. He's played a lot in his career – perhaps too much, so that might be a reason. United certainly have an issue re. his fitness.

Got to love Héctor!

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

He hasn't had a fantastic season necessary, but he's played his part in the EL campaign, and Arsenal can really need him as an option. Whatever happened to Sánchez is quite strange. He's played a lot in his career – perhaps too much, so that might be a reason. United certainly have an issue re. his fitness.

Got to love Héctor!

Sanchez has been a disaster though I think its psychological as much as fitness, maybe he has not mixed well with the other players. I think cliques in the United dressing room is an issue

Got to love Héctor!

Sanchez has been a disaster though I think its psychological as much as fitness, maybe he has not mixed well with the other players. I think cliques in the United dressing room is an issue

There were rumours of him not mixing well with the Arsenal squad too. Especially towards the end of his stay at Arsenal. The last we heard of this was as late as now in May, when Koscielny praised Aaron Ramsey:

‘What I like about Aaron is that, we know he signs for Juventus but he is still a professional and he always fights for the club and for the team,’ said Koscielny.

‘Sometimes you have players who have stopped fighting for this team, but I think he has loved this club and that is why he stayed at 100 per cent for us. It shows a great mentality and character.’

This last part could have been directed to other players as well, but it's very likely hinting at the Sánchez situation.

Although Arsenal miss Sánchez's qualities as far as making things happen on the pitch – which he did on more than a few occasions, the current squad seems like a group that works well together. There's lot of smiles and positivity in photos and videos for example. It's a small thing, but still important as far as getting results go.

Got to love Héctor!

There were rumours of him not mixing well with the Arsenal squad too. Especially towards the end of his stay at Arsenal. The last we heard of this was as late as now in May, when Koscielny praised Aaron Ramsey:

‘What I like about Aaron is that, we know he signs for Juventus but he is still a professional and he always fights for the club and for the team,’ said Koscielny.

‘Sometimes you have players who have stopped fighting for this team, but I think he has loved this club and that is why he stayed at 100 per cent for us. It shows a great mentality and character.’

This last part could have been directed to other players as well, but it's very likely hinting at the Sánchez situation.

Although Arsenal miss Sánchez's qualities as far as making things happen on the pitch – which he did on more than a few occasions, the current squad seems like a group that works well together. There's lot of smiles and positivity in photos and videos for example. It's a small thing, but still important as far as getting results go.

Interesting kind of makes sense, all I know about Sanchez is he has dogs and that's about it

Got to love Héctor!

Interesting kind of makes sense, all I know about Sanchez is he has dogs and that's about it

He's very private from what I understand. He's known for his dogs of course, but he's not much in the media – unlike Pogba etc.
    I am watching the F.A. Cup build up I really cant see anything other than a comfortable City win, I hope I am wrong.
    I am watching the F.A. Cup build up I really cant see anything other than a comfortable City win, I hope I am wrong.

The F.A. Cup coverage only starts 30 mins before the game over here. Looking forward to the match.
  • RC7RC7
    edited May 2019 Posts: 10,512

It’s very frustrating. The semi was a great win for Watford, but a Wolves final would have been a betterl. It’s going to be a stroll for City. It’s the only final in memory that I’m not actually bothered about watching.
    In two minds whether to watch the game myself, I thought the same Wolves could have caused an upset.

The F.A. Cup coverage only starts 30 mins before the game over here. Looking forward to the match.

There were several hours of build up here

Dam David Silva goal
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports

Dam David Silva goal

With an elbow t the throat of his opponent. No call.

Kompany hand ball at the other end. No call.

Same old story. There's a reason Man City has been so dominant in England but craps out in UCL.
  • edited May 2019 Posts: 17,333

Dam David Silva goal

Would be surprised if it wasn't!

Unlucky Watford. Some refs would maybe have given a pen there. Nothing controversial about that second goal though.

Meanwhile, Lyon is 4-0 up against Barcelona in the women's CL finale. Hat-trick by Ada Hegerberg!
    I’ve turned the FA Cup final off , watching something else x That team have bought another win ,what can Watford do ? I’m outa there .
  • edited May 2019 Posts: 17,333
    We didn't expect anything else, did we? All depends on how Watford respond in the second half. An early goal might make things interesting at least.

That second half was as predictable as it gets…
    Incredible scenes from the City dressing room as the City players celebrate winning another trophy!

• GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Vincent Kompany’s return to Anderlecht pretty much made my day. Class act!
    As player-manager even!
  • RC7RC7
    Incredible scenes from the City dressing room as the City players celebrate winning another trophy!

Contrast that with Stearman celebrating Sheffield United’s promotion...

Hahaha, that's brilliant! :))
    Congratulations to Aston Villa on their promotion to the Premier League!!!!
    I have put money on the English team for the Europa Final...

Seriously this is a tough game to call, both teams are capable of not turning up
    edited May 2019 Posts: 23,521
    What the hell is that opening ceremony

Atmosphere at the stadium is none existent
    I wonder what Torgeir will do if Chelsea and Tottenham win their respective finals... ;)
    jobo wrote: »
    I wonder what Torgeir will do if Chelsea and Tottenham win their respective finals... ;)

And Barry007 bless him! I am happy to be a neutral fan! :))
    Chelsea goal from Arsenal old boy Giroud