"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Mane, Salah, Aubameyang on 22 goals, Aguero on 21

What decides the Golden Boot when several players are on the same amount of goals?

_______

Eddie Nketiah makes it 1-3! Nice!

Not sure to be honest

Looks like Mané, Salah and Aubameyang shares it:

Really happy that he gets something from this season, as he and Lacazette have been the difference. It looked likely they would fight for the same spot, but fortunately they've been able to play together a lot.

The transfer budget will be close to nothing compared to the other sides, but if Edu Gaspar is appointed Arsenal's technical director this summer, I hope he'll be able to find some talent for the club.

You are fortunate to have the front two you have they have carried your side, our strikers are useless
    Mane, Salah, Aubameyang on 22 goals, Aguero on 21

What decides the Golden Boot when several players are on the same amount of goals?

_______

Eddie Nketiah makes it 1-3! Nice!

Not sure to be honest

Looks like Mané, Salah and Aubameyang shares it:

Really happy that he gets something from this season, as he and Lacazette have been the difference. It looked likely they would fight for the same spot, but fortunately they've been able to play together a lot.

The transfer budget will be close to nothing compared to the other sides, but if Edu Gaspar is appointed Arsenal's technical director this summer, I hope he'll be able to find some talent for the club.

You are fortunate to have the front two you have they have carried your side, our strikers are useless

There's been rumours linking Lacazette to Barcelona. Hope there's nothing true about this, as Arsenal really needs him and Aubameyang going forward – preferably in a front two together.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    So proud of Liverpool this season, it was devastating not to win the title but it was pleasure to be involved in such a thrilling title race with City. Credit to them they've been immense this season to beat us to it.
    On to the Champions League final next month!!
    Congratulations Man City, Commiserations Liverpool. As a neutral you both made the season an exciting spectacle!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

I know he had a run of poor results but I genuinely do not see the benefit of this decision? If it continued 10 games into the new season? Fair enough, but I think this is a poor decision right now.

He definitely will. He really made the most out of that squad.
    RogueAgent wrote: »

I know he had a run of poor results but I genuinely do not see the benefit of this decision? If it continued 10 games into the new season? Fair enough, but I think this is a poor decision right now.

Agree. Really don't see why they went through with this; keeping them up is an achievement in itself, and a bit of backing in the transfer market in the summer could make a difference, IMO.

Agree. Really don't see why they went through with this; keeping them up is an achievement in itself, and a bit of backing in the transfer market in the summer could make a difference, IMO.

Apparently the chairman does not trust Hughton to spend money that's why he was sacked.

Apparently the chairman does not trust Hughton to spend money that's why he was sacked.

Don't know how things are done at Brighton, but in most clubs, deciding which players to spend money on isn't the managers decision alone?

Don't know how things are done at Brighton, but in most clubs, deciding which players to spend money on isn't the managers decision alone?

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/778635/Brighton-News-Tony-Bloom-Sacked-Chris-Hughton/amp

That's why I said apparently, it's a Daily Star story ;)

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/778635/Brighton-News-Tony-Bloom-Sacked-Chris-Hughton/amp

That's why I said apparently, it's a Daily Star story ;)

Ah, then we can take things with a grain of salt! Surely there's some backroom people overseeing the transfer decisions alongside the manager. From the article it almost sounds like Hughton got a budget from the owner, with a message of just spending it as wisely as possible.
  • edited May 2019 Posts: 17,333

Arsenal issues statement on the Europa League final. Will be interesting to see if Chelsea does the same.
    Another match and another horrible result for Rosenborg, losing 0-2 at home against Haugesund. They're now on 6 points after 8 matches, having only scored 4 goals. 4! On top of that, a fit Bendtner is not even in the squad for the second gameweek in a row.

I'm not surprised by the results anymore though. Putting on a defender when you're 0-2 at home says it all.

Arsenal issues statement on the Europa League final. Will be interesting to see if Chelsea does the same.

I am not even sure what I am looking at, that looks horrendous

I am not even sure what I am looking at, that looks horrendous

It's incredible how UEFA can go through with a final, and "only make a maximum of 6,000 tickets available to Arsenal for a stadium with a capacity of well over 60,000." Same for Chelsea fans of course.

On top of that, Arsenal are also awaiting guarantees from UEFA that it will be safe for Mkhitaryan to travel to Baku. He wasn't part of the team that played against Qarabag earlier in the competition because of the same issue. It will be bad news for Arsenal if they can't include him in the squad, as he's played a part for them in the EL campaign.
    @Torgeirtrap I am sure that group of fans will shout even louder, though it will impact on the atmosphere. There will no doubt as usual be numerous indifferent VIP's taking up a percentage of tickets that contribute nothing.
    Ruben Loftus-Cheek out of action for a YEAR after rupturing Achilles during Boston friendly as Chelsea star is left frustrated with his club at picking up avoidable injury... and it was the owner's idea
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7038259/amp/Chelsea-midfielder-Ruben-Loftus-Cheek-faces-year-suffering-achilles-injury.html

I feel for the guy, I had a similar injury, and so close to the Europa League final.
    @Torgeirtrap I am sure that group of fans will shout even louder, though it will impact on the atmosphere. There will no doubt as usual be numerous indifferent VIP's taking up a percentage of tickets that contribute nothing.

I fear it will be a somewhat indifferent atmosphere given how few tickets both team have available for their fans. We can only hope things go well for fans travelling, and that the game will become the final it deserves to be - or as close as possible at least.

…and just as importantly that there will be a solution to the Mkhitaryan situation.
    Ruben Loftus-Cheek out of action for a YEAR after rupturing Achilles during Boston friendly as Chelsea star is left frustrated with his club at picking up avoidable injury... and it was the owner's idea
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7038259/amp/Chelsea-midfielder-Ruben-Loftus-Cheek-faces-year-suffering-achilles-injury.html

I feel for the guy, I had a similar injury, and so close to the Europa League final.

He's really been unlucky with injuries. Looks like a real talent too. How did this type of injury affect you, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns?

I fear it will be a somewhat indifferent atmosphere given how few tickets both team have available for their fans. We can only hope things go well for fans travelling, and that the game will become the final it deserves to be - or as close as possible at least.

…and just as importantly that there will be a solution to the Mkhitaryan situation.

He's really been unlucky with injuries. Looks like a real talent too. How did this type of injury affect you, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns?

Mkty certainly will need protection and assurances.

It was a cycling injury, could hardly walk for three months and had rehab for at least three months after I also had tissue damage around my ankle. Loftus Cheeks sounds worse than what I had, and him being an Elite sportsman a year out sounds about right. I was paranoid to cycle or go running for quite a while after and still get pain there, though I use the exercises I learnt through rehab most days.

It was a cycling injury, could hardly walk for three months and had rehab for at least three months after I also had tissue damage around my ankle. Loftus Cheeks sounds worse than what I had, and him being an Elite sportsman a year out sounds about right. I was paranoid to cycle or go running for quite a while after and still get pain there, though I use the exercises I learnt through rehab most days.

Don't know what the club fear can happen, but it's difficult that a player's safety is an issue at all.

It certainly seems like a nasty injury to go through, especially when it impacts your daily life like that – also afterwards. It does make you think how the injuries athletes go through will affect their lives after their sporting careers. Tore André Flo for example, has had hip replacement.

Don't know what the club fear can happen, but it's difficult that a player's safety is an issue at all.

It certainly seems like a nasty injury to go through, especially when it impacts your daily life like that – also afterwards. It does make you think how the injuries athletes go through will affect their lives after their sporting careers. Tore André Flo for example, has had hip replacement.

Wear and tear can impact though sports science is much better than it was, admittedly alot of it is down to how you manage yourself also. We see it all the time with footballers having to adapt there game due to injury and age

Wear and tear can impact though sports science is much better than it was, admittedly alot of it is down to how you manage yourself also. We see it all the time with footballers having to adapt there game due to injury and age

Indeed, sports science have certainly improved, and players are much more aware on how to take care of themselves. You don't see "heavy drinkers" in modern day football for example.

Indeed, sports science have certainly improved, and players are much more aware on how to take care of themselves. You don't see "heavy drinkers" in modern day football for example.

The benefit of the heavy drinking is they did not feel the injuries :)) the 60's, 70's and 80's was very different for sure.

When I was a kid in the 80's there was none of this having to pay for games, admittedly there were not as many games shown

The benefit of the heavy drinking is they did not feel the injuries :)) the 60's, 70's and 80's was very different for sure.

When I was a kid in the 80's there was none of this having to pay for games, admittedly there were not as many games shown

Hahaha, you might be right about that! Different times indeed.

I really don't like that you have to pay all those different broadcasters to access the football you want to see. Right now we have TV2 with the PL, EL and international games coverage, as well as half of the CL games. Viasat have the rest of the CL games, Championship/ League One and Two, The League Cup, FA Cup, Bundesliga and Ligue 1. Eurosport have the Eliteserien games, while Primera Division and Serie A is only available by a streaming service (I think).

You have some games available via the regular TV subscriptions of course, while the majority is only available through various (added) subscriptions or streaming services the broadcasters offer. Those aren't cheap!

Re. injuries, this is fantastic news! The amount of injury troubles Santi Cazorla's been through is unbelievable, and to see him playing regular football again is really great. Wish he was still an Arsenal player.

I really don't like that you have to pay all those different broadcasters to access the football you want to see. Right now we have TV2 with the PL, EL and international games coverage, as well as half of the CL games. Viasat have the rest of the CL games, Championship/ League One and Two, The League Cup, FA Cup, Bundesliga and Ligue 1. Eurosport have the Eliteserien games, while Primera Division and Serie A is only available by a streaming service (I think).

You have some games available via the regular TV subscriptions of course, while the majority is only available through various (added) subscriptions or streaming services the broadcasters offer. Those aren't cheap!

Re. injuries, this is fantastic news! The amount of injury troubles Santi Cazorla's been through is unbelievable, and to see him playing regular football again is really great. Wish he was still an Arsenal player.

Good news about Cazorla, before his injury I think he was one of your best players for a few seasons, you were tougher to beat when he played
  • RC7RC7

Good news about Cazorla, before his injury I think he was one of your best players for a few seasons, you were tougher to beat when he played

Do you ever listen to ‘Athletico Mince’? Bob Mortimer does a running gag about Santi Cazorla running a prank/joke shop emporium. If you’re into his kind of humour it’s utterly amazing.
    edited May 2019 Posts: 23,523
    RC7 wrote: »

Do you ever listen to ‘Athletico Mince’? Bob Mortimer does a running gag about Santi Cazorla running a prank/joke shop emporium. If you’re into his kind of humour it’s utterly amazing.

I am a fan of Vic and Bob I will look out for it, I like surreal daft humour

Just added it to my Podcast library

He was excellent, and Arsenal do miss his qualities in midfield. I hope they manage to find a player like him sometime in the future. Have my doubts they'll look at midfield this transfer window.

Added to my podcast library as well! Thanks, @RC7!

He was excellent, and Arsenal do miss his qualities in midfield. I hope they manage to find a player like him sometime in the future. Have my doubts they'll look at midfield this transfer window.

Added to my podcast library as well! Thanks, @RC7!

Surely they will have to replace Ramsey, read early Arsenal are in discussions about Mkty not travelling at all