"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

Spurs have spent quite a lot on their new stadium. And will continue to do so for the next decade.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Of course Spurs is a money-powered team, every team that sits near the top of the PL is a money-powered team. Fine, they didn’t throw away too much money on new signings, but they did receive 200 million bucks tv money, compared to Ajax’ 10 million. Any non-Spurs fan not supporting Ajax yesterday is hard for me to understand.
    Spurs a money powered team :))
    Money did not help Barca, PSG, Man City or even my side Man United in recent years in the CL, weak argument

Ajax lost because they could not defend

Would it be a coincidence that Eriksen, Aldewereldt and Vertonghen all got their first big break with Ajax Amsterdam as players. Before Spurs lured them with the big money?

Last night was a great match and lasted 10 seconds to much for Ajax. It is not like the 3-3 overal showed Spurs being better defenders.
    Have to say as a neutral fan where CL is concerned? When I saw the outcome this morning that Spurs had also turned it around? I laughed so much as I thought how cheesed off will the EU Politicians be that the final is occupied by 2 English teams! Lol! Be even more hilarious if Chelsea and Arsenal contest the Europa League final too?
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    Have to say as a neutral fan where CL is concerned? When I saw the outcome this morning that Spurs had also turned it around? I laughed so much as I thought how cheesed off will the EU Politicians be that the final is occupied by 2 English teams! Lol! Be even more hilarious if Chelsea and Arsenal contest the Europa League final too?

I know I thought the same, and as things stand it will be Arsenal v Chelsea in the Europa final. Great for English football if it happens

I know I thought the same, and as things stand it will be Arsenal v Chelsea in the Europa final. Great for English football if it happens

Absolutely!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

Absolutely!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7008487/amp/England-country-four-European-finalists.html
    It would be unprecedented
    Lna.gif

Phew! That went well in the end. After the horrible games the last few weeks, this was much needed. Even more so given the nightmare that was yesterday's result.
    Lna.gif

Phew! That went well in the end. After the horrible games the last few weeks, this was much needed. Even more so given the nightmare that was yesterday's result.

Great result not easy to score that many in Valencia
    CHELSEA 1-1 FRANKFURT (AGG: 2-2) and now penalties, I want Chelsea to win
    edited May 2019 Posts: 23,527
    Well done Chelsea, my team Man United may have had a shocker this season though the Premiership has achieved ultimate bragging rights.

• edited May 2019 Posts: 17,333
    Lna.gif

No, and when Valencia got the first goal, I thought that was it for Arsenal. Luckily, Lacazette and Aubameyang did their job perfectly.

Chelsea against Arsenal in Baku. Didn't know what to hope for in the penalty shootout, but Chelsea is a team Arsenal struggle with…
    Lna.gif

No, and whenValencia got the first goal, I thought that was it for Arsenal. Luckily, Lacazette and Aubameyang did their job perfectly.

Chelsea against Arsenal in Baku. Didn't know what to hope for in the penalty shootout, but Chelsea is a team Arsenal struggle with…

Your team has goals I think it will be a case of out scoring them, you have the fire power as illustrated with the Valencia games to compensate a weak defence
    Lna.gif

No, and whenValencia got the first goal, I thought that was it for Arsenal. Luckily, Lacazette and Aubameyang did their job perfectly.

Your team has goals I think it will be a case of out scoring them, you have the fire power as illustrated with the Valencia games to compensate a weak defence

That's the problem. Arsenal need to get Lacazette and Aubameyang in good positions, or this final will get ugly. Chelsea will be favourites in this game.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Great stuff from Chelsea. Well done boys.
    Another all English affair in European football. Europa league final, Chelsea vs Arsenal

Bring it on!
  • RC7RC7

Absolutely!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7008487/amp/England-country-four-European-finalists.html

@jobo right now...

wp-content%252Fuploads%252F2013%252F06%252FJack-Nicholson.gif%252Ffit-in__1200x9600.gif?signature=FCP-M5EriZwBy9jJnZnVh7Liuak=&source=http%3A%2F%2Fmashable.com

edited May 2019 Posts: 23,527
    RC7 wrote: »

Absolutely!

@jobo right now...

wp-content%252Fuploads%252F2013%252F06%252FJack-Nicholson.gif%252Ffit-in__1200x9600.gif?signature=FCP-M5EriZwBy9jJnZnVh7Liuak=&source=http%3A%2F%2Fmashable.com
    :))
    I would say the Premier League has a valid argument of being the best in Europe

Absolutely!

@jobo right now...

Because of one extraordinary season? I wouldn’t jump to conclusions. I remember vividly how English teams, even with their excessive budgets, were underperforming in Europe until quite recently. I also remember very well how back then no one was allowed to use that argument the other way around ;)
    It is impressive the way English teams have dominated Europe this season,and in the style they have done it.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    GoldenGun wrote: »

Absolutely!

@jobo right now...

Because of one extraordinary season? I wouldn’t jump to conclusions. I remember vividly how English teams, even with their excessive budgets, were underperforming in Europe until quite recently. I also remember very well how back then no one was allowed to use that argument the other way around ;)

Indeed, one swallow doesn't make a Summer, as the saying goes.
    But, it is an extraordinary achievement especially by Spurs and Liverpool. Also the Manchester clubs made the QFs as well.

True, quite an achievement.

Ironic though how the final of the Champions League anno 2019 is contested by two teams whose most recent titles date back to 1961 and 1990.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    True, quite an achievement.

Ironic though how the final of the Champions League anno 2019 is contested by two teams whose most recent titles date back to 1961 and 1990.

Yes there is something ironic about that.
  • edited May 2019 Posts: 7,505

Absolutely!

@jobo right now...

Lol!
    Back a couple of years ago when Spain had four European finalists you all claimed it was completely irrelevant and har nothing to do with the quality of the actual league. So I assume it is the same now, right? ;))

Absolutely!

@jobo right now...

Exactly. One thing is certain: English football fans will always ibsist they have the best league no matter how good ør bad they perform in European competition. They are quite cute in that way.

It used to be the same with the English national team as well, and that was even more hilarious. They have come to senses on that arena during the last couple of decades though ;)
    What a drama in the PL at the moment!
    Not anymore.
    Mane, Salah, Aubameyang on 22 goals, Aguero on 21

What decides the Golden Boot when several players are on the same amount of goals?

_______

Eddie Nketiah makes it 1-3! Nice!

What decides the Golden Boot when several players are on the same amount of goals?

_______

Not sure to be honest

_______

Not sure to be honest

Looks like Mané, Salah and Aubameyang shares it:

Really happy that he gets something from this season, as he and Lacazette have been the difference. It looked likely they would fight for the same spot, but fortunately they've been able to play together a lot.

The transfer budget will be close to nothing compared to the other sides, but if Edu Gaspar is appointed Arsenal's technical director this summer, I hope he'll be able to find some talent for the club.