On Her Majesty's Secret Service- Very overrated?

Comments

• ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    Well, ain't that a daisy
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    RC7 wrote: »
    Anyone who doesn't like Moore is a d*ck. Period.
    How can anyone NOT like him? Still, his Bond was maybe a tad too refined, eh?
    Well my name isn't dick or Richard, and I don't like him, so you might want to change your methodology for judging people
  • RC7RC7
    chrisisall wrote: »

If people don't like him I just have to assume they're missing something, primarily a lust for life. Miserable gits. I tell thee.

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    If people don't like him I just have to assume they're missing something, primarily a lust for life. Miserable gits. I tell thee.
    Or possibly they're rather strict fans of Fleming & just don't see Moore as their version of a true Bond.
    This is Bond detente. You don't have all the say, and neither do we.
    B-)
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    You can definitely criticize any Bond, in my opinion, on this forum. What makes people wary or upset here (correct me or add to this, other longstanding members) is strong bashing and continual whining. It is just the tone, overall negativity and juvenile namecalling, belittling, whining constantly how much you hate a certain actor or film (especially if just saying the same thing over and over again) etc. that crosses the line, becomes the not acceptable kind of bashing (as if there is a borderline area there ...), and then posters can get really rude, etc. It can go downhill quickly.
    Well said. Once again "you know who" has dumbed down another thread with his "LOL" spam about how much he dislikes Roger Moore.
    chrisisall wrote: »

Or wayyyyy too soft.

I don't like him. He's like everyone's favorite drunk uncle, not a spy with a license to kill.
    Well my name isn't dick or Richard, and I don't like him, so you might want to change your methodology for judging people

I'm with you, Thomas. Leave the soft, drunken uncle in his soft, comfy chair and gimme a tough Bond any day of the week.

Thomas, it's always going to be the same reaction, insults instead of sincere debate. Bond should honestly be a tough guy and not parodied, and Moore was a horrible physical presence and wanted no part of the serious aspects of the Fleming character.
  • RC7RC7

Thomas, it's always going to be the same reaction, insults instead of sincere debate. Bond should honestly be a tough guy and not parodied, and Moore was a horrible physical presence and wanted no part of the serious aspects of the Fleming character.

You wouldn't know sincere debate if it punched you through a wall. Sticks and stones. I'm sure you guys with a hard on for tough guys can take it.
    Thanks for validating my statement :)
  • RC7RC7
    Thanks for validating my statement :)

Is that a genuine smile? It would make me immensely proud to have made Captain Killjoy smile.
    Yep!

Instead of captain Killjoy you can call me Captain Killbadbondmovies.
  • RC7RC7
    edited December 2014 Posts: 10,512
    Yep!

Instead of captain Killjoy you can call me Captain Killbadbondmovies.

There's hope for you yet. A man able to smile is a man on the path to bigger and better things, namely the appreciation of the coolest wit on the planet, Sir Roger.
    He may have had the coolest wit, but he was a lousy spy with no fighting skills.
    Even the villains he faced were bad.

Jaws drops the huge Egyptian brick on his foot, lol.
    Sir Rog rocked when it comes to Bond. If you want to talk lame Bond surely you meant to bring up Brosnan? ;)
    Unless you're related to roger Moore or he saved your life in the war, some of you need to dial it back. It's called a difference of opinion, it's nothing personal
    Unless you're related to roger Moore or he saved your life in the war, some of you need to dial it back. It's called a difference of opinion, it's nothing personal

No kidding!
    Getafix wrote: »
    Sir Rog rocked when it comes to Bond. If you want to talk lame Bond surely you meant to bring up Brosnan? ;)

Um, I'd rather watch GE than any of the Moore Bonds. That end fight is just really good, the best Broz ever got. The other Broz films were not very good, but more palatable TO ME than any of the Moore silliness.

Jaws swings and misses, hitting a post and the whole egyptian rubble falls down on him.
    Somewhere, Robert Shaw was watching and thinking, "I can take that guy easy."
    Why are talking about Sir Rog in an OHMSS thread?

Any way I empathise with you guys a little as I feel the same way about Brosnan as you do about Moore.

I personally love Moore and not only feel sorry for you but wonder how anyone who really dislikes his films can be a Bond fan. For many people he was Bond for many years - almost eclipsing Connery in the 80s and bringing so many years or entertainment to so many. Without him I doubt Bond would still be going.
    Back on topic, ohmss is good, but it's a bit overrated. Not on a scale like goldfinger, but it's still overrated
    Wow you're from the school that thinks GF is overrated as well?

Any way I empathise with you guys a little as I feel the same way about Brosnan as you do about Moore.

I personally love Moore and not only feel sorry for you but wonder how anyone who really dislikes his films can be a Bond fan. For many people he was Bond for many years - almost eclipsing Connery in the 80s and bringing so many years or entertainment to so many. Without him I doubt Bond would still be going.

Bros is guilty of just making bad bond films. Moore is guilty of taking the franchise into self parody that never fully recovered until the Craig Era.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2014 Posts: 23,883
    I think GF is overrated too. I don't watch it very often at all. I much prefer DN, FRWL, & TB. Those for me are Connery's best.

RE: OHMSS - it is a very good standalone film, but I really think it's a one off. Like CR, it had a very good novel with some depth that was used as its base, and given its unusual tone and tenderness (completely missing otherwise in the movie series from the 60's up to CR) it is fondly remembered, as it should be. Sure, it gets a lot of revisionist love nowadays, some of which may be unfounded, but it is the unique qualities of that movie that make it so appealing to many, myself included. The Lazenby conversation is a different one that I won't get into here.

RE: Moore - I am a huge fan of his. However, he had his faults, like all the Bonds did. Whatever you may think of him, he was extremely charismatic and made a successful series of movies for 12 years, carrying the franchise through a decade of major change. An incredible achievement. No other Bond has done that yet (Craig may, just because of the long gaps between his movies).

And yes, @doublohdad, I'll give you this: he was not a good fighter on screen. As I said on another thread, he was a lover, not a fighter.
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 11,425

Bros is guilty of just making bad bond films. Moore is guilty of taking the franchise into self parody that never fully recovered until the Craig Era.

Hmmm. Or you love what Moore did and actually think it's a lot of fun. The self parody started way before Moore any way. Have you not seen YOLT and DAF?

Moore picked up where Connery left off in many respects. By the end Connery couldn't take it seriously - it had become a bloated joke.

The Bond universe needs to be treated with a bit of a sense of humour otherwise it becomes worse than parody - it becomes po-faced stupidity. And you can't carry on in the same vein forever. You need to mix things up otherwise audiences become bored. Even the Moore era has more variety than you give it credit for.

There are plenty of great serious moments of high tension throughout the Moore era. And lots of laughs. If you don't like it fine but the origins of it go back way before Moore. And they continued after Moore as well.
    Yes, I think goldfinger is vastly overrated. Again, it's an opinion I have that does not mesh with yours.
    Bondjames, I agree with you, I rank GF after TB and FRWL but above DN. Actually... I'd now heretically rank OHMSS above GF. I know, but damn, that's a good movie.

I'd have respected Moore more if instead of telling the tiger to 'sit!' He'd just pulled out his pistol and shot it.

A spy with a license to kill needs to be a good spy, not just charismatic. That sells cars, not makes superspies.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    For god sakes Make a Moore and Brosnan bashing thread already and stop derailing every other thread. It's quite tiresome.
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 1,146
    Murdock wrote: »
    For god sakes Make a Moore and Brosnan bashing thread already and stop derailing every other thread. It's quite tiresome.

It's a difference of opinion, man, not the end of the world. No animals were injured in the making of this thread. You can simply ignore my posts if you can't or won't debate me. And I think I objectively point out good and bad stuff in all the Bond films. The space stuff in YOLT is just pretty lame considering that 2001 had already come out. It's just that most of the bad stuff happens in the Moore and Broz films.

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Murdock wrote: »

It's a difference of opinion, man, no the end of the world. You can just ignore my posts if you simply can't debate me. And I think I objectively point out good and bad stuff in all the Bond films. It's just that most of the bad stuff happens in the Moore and Broz films.

Then make a thread about it. Your Post's on Brosnan and Moore aren't relevant to this thread since it's a thread about "Is OHMSS overrated." Last time I checked Moore and Brosnan weren't in this film.

I'll say it again. Make a Moore and Brosnan bashing thread instead of clogging up others with Moore and Brosnan hate when it's not even asking for it.