Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

• BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Yeah, QOS is complete crap. Such a letdown after CR.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Yeah, QOS is complete crap golden, underrated perfection.

Fixed that for ya!
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    QoS is probably the best directed Bond film since Majesty's, in the way it depicts Bond.
    royale65 wrote: »
    QoS is probably the best directed Bond film since Majesty's, in the way it depicts Bond.

Nah, where are all the jokes, easy smiles and pickup lines? That's what Bond is about, isn't it? ;)
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Ah, of course. My mistake ;)
    I just prefer when a film is edited in such a way as to allow you to actually see what the Hell is happening. And some idiot looking to control the water supply to seize power in Bolivia isn't exactly the grand Bond adventure of old.
  • Andi1996RueggAndi1996Ruegg Hello. It's me, Evelyn Tremble.
    Well I'm just glad I'm not the only one who doesn't see where the Gold is in QoS.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    I don’t mind the editing in QOS, I can tell what’s going on and it has a nice rough feel
    I don’t mind the editing in QOS, I can tell what’s going on and it has a nice rough feel

I get that they were going for that sort of feel, but I think they went overboard with it. It's too much Bourne and too little Bond.
    Interesting @JamesBondKenya

I love old-school directing and editing.
    QoS is a mess, beautifully shot perhaps but butchered through shaky camera work and stupid editing that really no one can find a joy to watch?? It's beyond me.

There is a lot to QoS I like, but the worst action scenes in Bond really tamper with my enjoyment to watch it. Not even the engaging brilliant score of David Arnold saves the bad CGI loaded, badly done action in QoS.
    At least there is a good middle section when the editor obviously was on his day off.

I may warm up to the film once I have learned to ignore the bad job done. Mathis and Camille are so great and I love Felix Leiter in this, totally.
    Daniel Craig is completely wasted, he has such talent and he shined in CR. Shame because Craig was at his prime physically and looks wise in QoS.

I just wish the first 20 or so minutes were not so badly done. Same for the bloody parachute sequence, I want to throw up rather than watching this scene again.

How's that for controversy ha ha...

The parachute bit is awful when you realize it came from the same series that brought us TSWLM's opening as well as MR's. One would only think there could only be improvement with time. But, no. It looks like if was filmed in front of a giant green screen with the background CGI-ed in. The back projection during the Alpine Sunbeam chase in DR NO looked more convincing, IMO.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    That is a weak point of the film, I'll admit. They could've simply omitted Craig/Kurylenko's faces and done it practically with stuntmen.
    I agree, but it’s even more fun because they did it for real in a wind tunnel
    I agree, but it’s even more fun because they did it for real in a wind tunnel

I would rather the stunt have actually been performed in free fall by stuntmen than simulated in a wind tunnel.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    You can t do anything remotely Dangerous anymore. When I was a kid we did more Dangerous stuff than the average stuntman is allowed to do today.
    You can t do anything remotely Dangerous anymore. When I was a kid we did more Dangerous stuff than the average stuntman is allowed to do today.

Just tell the insurance company it was CGI. ;)

Yeah right! ;))

QoS is a mess, beautifully shot perhaps but butchered through shaky camera work and stupid editing that really no one can find a joy to watch?? It's beyond me.

There is a lot to QoS I like, but the worst action scenes in Bond really tamper with my enjoyment to watch it. Not even the engaging brilliant score of David Arnold saves the bad CGI loaded, badly done action in QoS.
    At least there is a good middle section when the editor obviously was on his day off.

I may warm up to the film once I have learned to ignore the bad job done. Mathis and Camille are so great and I love Felix Leiter in this, totally.
    Daniel Craig is completely wasted, he has such talent and he shined in CR. Shame because Craig was at his prime physically and looks wise in QoS.

I just wish the first 20 or so minutes were not so badly done. Same for the bloody parachute sequence, I want to throw up rather than watching this scene again.

You need to see it several more times. It is the only Bond movie that improves on every viewing. I must admit i was thrown by the editing on my first viewing. Now? I wouldnt have it any other way! And there are wonderful small scenes that make great impact. Scenes between Bond and Camille, between Bond and Mathis, between Bond and M (much more interesting here than in SF!) and great characters like Beam and Mr White! Also i think the cinematography of QOS is too overlooked!
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    Mathis1 wrote: »

You need to see it several more times. It is the only Bond movie that improves on every viewing. I must admit i was thrown by the editing on my first viewing. Now? I wouldnt have it any other way! And there are wonderful small scenes that make great impact. Scenes between Bond and Camille, between Bond and Mathis, between Bond and M (much more interesting here than in SF!) and great characters like Beam and Mr White! Also i think the cinematography of QOS is too overlooked!

My thoughts exactly.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    edited December 2017 Posts: 732
    I also 100% agree: QoS gets better and better with every watching - still the editing is nothing but insane. Back then in the cinema, I was not sure if they had to do it this way because they screwed up the action scenes and to keep the pacing had to edit the hell out of the material.

Other than that the movie is really, really cool.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea

Well as others I have to admit the parashute jump isn't done well, but that's only seconds. I love the opening now, when you see what's going on it's an incredeable car chase. I also love Daniel's acting. Ever seen a man more dedicated to the job despite setbacks and his own team holding him back? I love Dench's M too in this film, having to be convincing towards her own staff even though she's put under enormous pressure from her own government and the CIA. which brings me to....
    I just prefer when a film is edited in such a way as to allow you to actually see what the Hell is happening. And some idiot looking to control the water supply to seize power in Bolivia isn't exactly the grand Bond adventure of old.
    That isn't the threat after all, now is it. It's an organisation that manipulates strong (US,UK) governments and takes over weaker ones by what ever means necessary. When we meet Greene and Medrano Greene explains this to Medrano. They've taken over Haiti because of the minimum wages. They 'have people everywhere', even within MI6, we find out at the start. And Greene isn't the head of the organisation at all, as he's explaining to Medrano in the hotel.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    edited December 2017 Posts: 1,984
    QoS is compelling when it comes to the characters and themes but the editing and settings are undoubtedly bottom-tier in comparison to the rest of the franchise. The action would've been great if it wasn't for the way it was edited. That, and the overall look of the film suffers from the same issues as LTK which is just that we're looking at the same dark/gritty scenes over and over. They switch countries but you mostly see the same colours. Definitely doesn't feel like a globetrotting adventure. The few shots by the water are refreshing as hell. Doesn't help that the pacing is a bit too fast; they don't really establish themselves in the settings and before you know it they've moved on again (or maybe you don't know at all since it all looks the same).

The plot is neither genuinely exceptional nor OTT, and I think that's my overall sentiment towards the film. It's just pretty forgettable in a lot of places, though I admit there's a couple of CR-level moments. And it's nice that they referenced some of the classics, but then they skipped the "traditional lines" and tampered with the gunbarrel.

Still, I admit it does get better with each viewing and I probably appreciate it more than Spectre now. Every time I see it, I do kind of find my complaints get fewer and/or shallower. It's mostly the visuals; anything the actors did themselves is nailed down quite well.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    The missing gunbarrel in QoS and SF are just nonsense - I think it‘s just stupid to leave them out. The non-traditional one in CR was kinda cool though - that was a good way to start over. But latest with QoS it should have been in place where it belongs.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Am I the only one who thinks the gunbarrel should also have opened CR?

I get that it makes more sense than in QOS and SF to have it at a different moment, but it still doesn't feel right.
    I'm probably the only that doesn't care much about the gunbarrel.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thinks the gunbarrel should also have opened CR?

I get that it makes more sense than in QOS and SF to have it at a different moment, but it still doesn't feel right.

What they did with it in CR was excellent. I was genuinely excited that moment when he fired the gun. It screamed: Bond is back!

Tthe SP gunbarrel gave me the same feeling though. It was really good to see it back where it belongs.
    The villain's scheme is certainly large scale and one of the most original of the series. It has rarely been used in cinema but it showed sometimes and in great movies: Chinatown, Once Upon a Time in the West, Jean de Floret and Manon des Sources...
    Which plot is the most large scale?

Sinister criminal organisation overthrows a government and takes control over a country's water supply, affecting the lives of tens of millions of people.

Privat business man wants to increase the value of his own gold... (zzzzz)

I let the jury decide...
    Qos has that CR real world plot feel, CR Is about short selling stocks and organizing terrorist attacks and QOS is about coups and water control. Both are excellent examples of bringing bond to the 21st century
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    jobo wrote: »

Sinister criminal organisation overthrows a government and takes control over a country's water supply, affecting the lives of tens of millions of people.

I let the jury decide...

And in the process, obliterate the U.S. economy.
    Remington wrote: »
    jobo wrote: »

I let the jury decide...

And in the process, obliterate the U.S. economy.

But how important is Fort Knox for the American economy after all? I dont really buy the idea that this would completely jeopardize American economy... It certainly cannot in the same fasion as relentless tax cuts and the so called 'war on terror' can, cough, cough...

The QoS plot is far more engaging to me at least. Probably because I value the fate of bolivians just as much as that of americans...