Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

peter wrote: »
    WILD GEESE, maybe, but when I was a kid, I hated it. I wanted Moore Bond to smoke a cigarette like Connery. I think I found Moore’s cigars ridiculously long— especially that profile shot in L&LD (I can’t say that that feeling has left me, even to this day).

Hahaha they were long I must admit.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited October 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I always personally thought Moore looked great with the cigar (particularly in TMWTGG waiting outside the Bottoms Up Club).

Arnie reminded me somewhat of Moore during the late 80's (strange though that may seem) with the wise cracks and the cigars. It's almost like he took Moore's nonchalant super cool Bond portrayal and exaggerated it to fit his persona.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited October 2017 Posts: 8,505
    Arnold had movie star charisma; all that posing on stage, he knew had to keep eyeballs on him. Don’t see a lot of that anymore. And yes, Arnie chewing on a cigar was awesome.
    I also thought Moore looked good with one — and Pierce as well.
    Arnie reminded me somewhat of Moore during the late 80's (strange though that may seem) with the wise cracks and the cigars. It's almost like he took Moore's nonchalant super cool Bond portrayal and exaggerated it to fit his persona.
    Now that's an interesting idea. I can see the through-line there.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Bond likes hand rolled cigarettes. Well, roll them yourself, Bond. You can put anuthing you like in them.
    20070810-043_1382494a.jpg?chk=2E4804
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Bond likes hand rolled cigarettes. Well, roll them yourself, Bond. You can put anuthing you like in them.
    20070810-043_1382494a.jpg?chk=2E4804

8-The-Hot-Chick-quotes.gif
    bondjames wrote: »
    I always personally thought Moore looked great with the cigar (particularly in TMWTGG waiting outside the Bottoms Up Club).

Not that it ever occurred to me, but there is something to this theory.
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 12,837

Yeah I've never thought of that either but it's pretty spot on. Reminds me of another post on here (can't remember who, sorry) that talked about how Indiana Jones was pretty much the perfect take on Moore's Bond. Obviously the characters are fairly different but I think the point was that style of blockbuster: light hearted, proper adventures, full of gags, great stuntwork. He was so influential. I think no matter how good any of the other actors or future actors are, Connery and Moore will always be the main two in the public eye. One was the original and one redefined it, both unbeatable at their own game.
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom

Yeah I've never thought of that either but it's pretty spot on. Reminds me of another post on here (can't remember who, sorry) that talked about how Indiana Jones was pretty much the perfect take on Moore's Bond. Obviously the characters are fairly different but I think the point was that style of blockbuster: light hearted, proper adventures, full of gags, great stuntwork. He was so influential. I think no matter how good any of the other actors or future actors are, Connery and Moore will always be the main two in the public eye. One was the original and one redefined it, both unbeatable at their own game.

Here, here. I couldn't agree, well Moore!

These two fellows will always be the icon's of Bond.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Fair comment. Agreed.
    The lift fight in DAF is a distinctly so-so fight sequence. It feels overlong and not especially exciting.
    The lift fight is actually one of my favorite scenes in DAF.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    It's definitely in the top ten of Bond fights.
    My favorites include Bond vs. Grant, Bond vs. Blofeld in OHMSS, Bond vs. Jaws (train fight probably most of all), Bond vs. Alec, Bond vs. Obanno, Bond vs. Patrice in Shanghai, and Bond vs. Hinx. I could list a lot more but those ones stand out to me most.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    edited November 2017 Posts: 1,984
    Of Moore's, I reckon Bond vs Jaws on the train was the best. Their other encounters were overly goofy and this was an instance where Moore's usually lackluster fighting didn't show since Jaws was such a monster anyway. We see genuine expressions of fear in Moore's face and it's probably the most realistic of his fights (if we can make an exception for the character of Jaws). Nothing comical or over-the-top.

Apart from replacing the rather weak Tee-Hee fight with that one, I'd agree with @Birdleson (accounting for his correction that GE should be there). Have mixed thoughts on the TB PTS fight.
    No love for the cargo net fight?
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I forgot GE. That belongs on my list.

Good; I think that fight between Bond and Alec is definitely one of the series' finest. GE has a particularly strong opening and finale I think.

I have probably stated this some time ago in this thread, but one of my most controversial Bond-related opinions is that I really love the PTS of FYEO. I will admit Blofeld laughs too much, but for the most part I love the sequence - the opening with Tracy's grave, the whole helicopter scene, and Bond finally killing Blofeld. It is one of my favorite PTSs of the whole series. Also probably a little controversial to say TB is probably a Top 10 PTS for me. If not, close to it.
  • GBFGBF
    The fight with the assassins in octopussy is my favorite Moore fight.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Of Moore's, I quite like the TMWTGG fight in the changing room and the TSWLM fight with Sandor. What they lack in brutality they make up for in atmosphere, and Bond does get bloodied in the former. I also actually quite like the LALD fight with Kananga at the lair. Moore is quite sprightly in that one and his kick is far more authoritative than in later entries.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Birdleson wrote: »
    The only good fight to come out of the Glen Era didn't involve Bond. I don't get why people like that cargo net fight. The stunt is decent, but the fight itself is lame.

I agree.

Wouldn't even clsss it as a fight reallly. It's an action sequence. Same with Bond and Blofeld on the bobsleigh.

Basically you've got:

Bond v Grant
    Bond v Oddjob
    Bond v Che Che
    Green 4 v Necros
    Bond v Alec
    Bond v Fisher
    Bond v Obanno
    Bond v Hinx

The rest is just chutney.

Although honourable mentions to:
    Bond v Bouvard
    Bond v the Rock's grandad
    Bond v Franks
    Bond v Slate

FoxRox wrote: »
    I have probably stated this some time ago in this thread, but one of my most controversial Bond-related opinions is that I really love the PTS of FYEO. I will admit Blofeld laughs too much, but for the most part I love the sequence - the opening with Tracy's grave, the whole helicopter scene, and Bond finally killing Blofeld. It is one of my favorite PTSs of the whole series.

Absodiddlylutely.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    Of Moore's, I quite like the TMWTGG fight in the changing room

Yes, that's an excellent fight of Moore's. Prior to the brawl, there are very few cuts as Bond is questioning the dancer. The audience starts to relax and assumes it will be one of those scenes, but then in a matter of seconds everything is turned upside down; the cuts are faster and since the set is small, the limited space becomes kind of claustrophobic for the viewer. The action is quite rough too. Bond slamming that goon's head against the wall comes to mind.
    The fights in the Glen era were more often either an action/stunt sequence: Bond vs Gobinda/Bond vs Necros or there was Bond vs multiple opponents.

Beginning with OP there was a Glen tradition of a fight sequence past the half way mark of the film in which 007 fights 3 or more adversaries. We had Bond vs Yo-Yo/buddies, Bond vs Zorin's gorillas then Bond vs jailer/guards. LTK broke that streak with the Barrelhead Bar sequence earlier on.
    Of those, the fight in Octopussy's palace was by far my favorite. Roger seems to pack some weight and aggression behind his punches, and he means business. AVTAK's is played more for laughs, and as I recall, the audience did indeed laugh when Stacey breaks the vase. I do like the jailbreak sequence, even if it's a bit more simply choreographed and not quite as intense. But in a way it doesn't quite measure up or give us much of an impression of Dalton's fisticuffs techniques.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    The fights in the Glen era were more often either an action/stunt sequence: Bond vs Gobinda/Bond vs Necros or there was Bond vs multiple opponents.

Beginning with OP there was a Glen tradition of a fight sequence past the half way mark of the film in which 007 fights 3 or more adversaries. We had Bond vs Yo-Yo/buddies, Bond vs Zorin's gorillas then Bond vs jailer/guards. LTK broke that streak with the Barrelhead Bar sequence earlier on.
    Of those, the fight in Octopussy's palace was by far my favorite. Roger seems to pack some weight and aggression behind his punches, and he means business. AVTAK's is played more for laughs, and as I recall, the audience did indeed laugh when Stacey breaks the vase. I do like the jailbreak sequence, even if it's a bit more simply choreographed and not quite as intense. But in a way it doesn't quite measure up or give us much of an impression of Dalton's fisticuffs techniques.

The rather crap and superfluous ice hockey scene in FYEO would conform to this model also.
    ToTheRight wrote: »

The rather crap and superfluous ice hockey scene in FYEO would conform to this model also.

I tend to forget about that one. I suppose it's the mixed approach: starts off okay and intense with Bond getting around, then turns into a joke.
    I prefer the Stacey's mansion fight, because it chooses a humorous approach and commits to it.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I do really love that DAF fight, but my favorite is a toss-up between Bond vs Trevelyan during the GE finale and Bond vs Slate in Haiti in QoS.

@ToTheRight, that mansion fight is the textbook definition of goofy, but I do enjoy it. It's further elevated by the brisk, younger stunt double pulling off moves that you know would've been impossible for Moore.
    Shouldn t the AVTAK warehouse fight be on that list?
    the mansion fight has some of the worst editing in the series.
    Shouldn t the AVTAK warehouse fight be on that list?

The only list that should be on is 'Shittest fight ever committed to film'.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Bond should've said "What a helpful chap" after the big goon generously laid down on the conveyor belt.