Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Alison Doody could very easily be a Bond girl today.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    So could Natalya.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    So could Natalya.
    Indeed.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    All of the Brosnan era actresses could return. Which says something about the quality casting in that era.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    We forget that some of these women were so young when they made these film, that some could probably still play a Bond girl today. Jenny Flex was only about 18 I think.

Dame Jane was 19 for LALD, as well. I think she may be the youngest main Bond girl, but I'm not completely sure.
    We forget that some of these women were so young when they made these film, that some could probably still play a Bond girl today. Jenny Flex was only about 18 I think.

Dame Jane was 19 for LALD, as well. I think she may be the youngest main Bond girl, but I'm not completely sure.

That would be Bibi Dahl,if you count her as one,as I do.

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited May 2017 Posts: 15,423
    barryt007 wrote: »

That would be Bibi Dahl,if you count her as one,as I do.
    Well, if Jane was 19, Bibi Dahl was 23. So, no. That doesn't make her the youngest Bond Girl.

EDIT: Just looked it up. Jane Seymour was 22. Still.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Says more about Sir Rogering if you ask me, or is that ott? Quite worrying that was normal in the seventies.
    @Birdleson I agree. People generally don't care - it's only the same few who bring it up.
    Me too.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    The only time I've ever been creeped out by Bond interacting with another woman he actually wanted was Sutton. Every other time, I never think, "Oh, Bond, what are you doing here? There's laws against this sorta thing!"
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    The only time I've ever been creeped out by Bond interacting with another woman he actually wanted was Sutton. Every other time, I never think, "Oh, Bond, what are you doing here? There's laws against this sorta thing!"

"That is not the soap."
    GoldenGun wrote: »

"That is not the soap."

Please, stop. I spend too much personal time trying to repress my memory of that moment, and you're cocking it all up.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I used to feel that way about Bond with Stacy too. It's especially offputting when he's chatting her up at Zorin's Estate. It's only much later that I realized that I was not watching Moore as Bond in that scene but rather Moore in disguise as the half-cocked James St. John Smythe (his behaviour in May Day's room is similarly discomfiting).

The difference is clear after the horse chase.

"Killing Tibbet was a mistake" is the first we see of Moore as Bond since the Ascot sequence.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I used to feel that way about Bond with Stacy too. It's especially offputting when he's chatting her up at Zorin's Estate. It's only much later that I realized that I was not watching Moore as Bond in that scene but rather Moore in disguise as the half-cocked James St. John Smythe (his behaviour in May Day's room is similarly discomfiting).

"Killing Tibbet was a mistake" is the first we see of Moore as Bond since the Ascot sequence.

It's the age thing that's off putting to me, not how Bond acts. Any reaction of his to Sutton would've made anyone call the cops. You know a Bond actor should've quit the role long before when his Bond girl is actually a girl in comparison to his own age.
  • RC7RC7
    I've never had a problem. She's a woman.

It's the age thing that's off putting to me, not how Bond acts. Any reaction of his to Sutton would've made anyone call the cops. You know a Bond actor should've quit the role long before when his Bond girl is actually a girl in comparison to his own age.
    That never bothered me at all, but I can surely see how some can have a problem with it.

I don't mind it the other way too (older women like Bellucci). Age is just a number and I'm not in the business of judging that element. We're all going to get there some time.

Behaviour like St. John Smythe exhibits however, is not to my tastes.
  • RC7RC7
    If Bond was pursuing teenagers, that's clearly unpalatable, anyone pitched as mid twenties onwards is fine. He was always bedding twenty-something's in the novels.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

A guy in his fifties is flirting with a 30 year old woman. Someone call the police!

Seriously?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    RC7 wrote: »
    I've never had a problem. She's a woman.

Agreed. Never saw it any different than that. Moore may be a bit old in the film, but Stacy doesn't look like a 14 year old, either.

A guy in his fifties is flirting with a 30 year old woman. Someone call the police!

Seriously?

It would help the film along if Roger didn't have that dirty grandpa feeling about him throughout.
    Did he even flirt with her though? I don't recall. He baked her a quiche and tucked her into bed. Oh, and saved her life at City Hall.

As I said, it was St. John Smythe who flirted with her, as I recall, and the dirty grandpa thing was intentional in the character.
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    Did he even flirt with her though? I don't recall. He baked her a quiche and tucked her into bed. Oh, and saved her life at City Hall.

As I said, it was St. John Smythe who flirted with her, as I recall, and the dirty grandpa thing was intentional in the character.
    I wonder if they were conscious of Moore's age and altered the scene so he wouldn't sleep with her. Obviously not since he does the bit at the end!

I wonder if they were conscious of Moore's age and altered the scene so he wouldn't sleep with her. Obviously not since he does the bit at the end!
    Yes, I think it was intentional. They did something similar in FYEO as well - he didn't sleep with Bibi and only had the pleasure of Melina at the end. The endings were fair game in those days because it was tradition.

Come to think of it, we've not seen Bond making out with the babe at the end since DAD. I wonder when that will return.

Yes, I think it was intentional. They did something similar in FYEO as well - he didn't sleep with Bibi and only had the pleasure of Melina at the end. The endings were fair game in those days because it was tradition.

Come to think of it, we've not seen Bond making out with the babe at the end since DAD. I wonder when that will return.

@bondjames, do you count Bond and Camille's little platonic kiss at the (basic) end of QoS? It's just before the Yusef talk, but I count it anyway.
    It was nice to see it @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, but I've never viewed that moment in the same way as I see the clinchers at the end of all the Bond films prior to Craig. I don't think that was the intention of that scene either. I believe that was intended to demonstrate some genuine warmth and respect between Bond and Camille, on account of the mutual journey they had just been on together. It worked on that deeper level as a goodbye of sorts.

I'm more referring to the tradition (or trope, depending on one's point of view) of having Bond either in bed, in the shower, on a boat, in space or wherever) making out with the Bond girl (in a light mannered way). I realize it's a cliche, but I just realized we haven't seen it since DAD. I'm not sure if it will work in a Craig film though, and perhaps the closest we'll get to it is Bond and Madeline in the Aston at the end of SP.
    @bondjames, yes, the Craig endings haven't bee built to fit in such a sequence, especially since half the films are all about Vesper and her lasting impact, causing Bond some heartbreak that doesn't make him excited to get into another relationship. In CR the girl he would've made love to died, in QoS he was unattached because of said girl and had nobody to do that with, and in SF he was again womanless. To be fair to the era, the first realistic chance there existed for Craig Bond to experience the "trope," EON jumped on it.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited May 2017 Posts: 40,670
    I love the kiss that Bond and Camille share. It's great and in the moment and says a lot about their journey together. I'm not sure the two of them hopping into bed together would've been anywhere near as good as that scene.

Damn, QoS is an excellent movie.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Camille sort of wanted him. It was Bond, strangely enough, who cut it short this time.
    Camille sort of wanted him. It was Bond, strangely enough, who cut it short this time.

I never got that sense at all. Just a thank you sort of thing, in a very raw way, between two people put through the emotional ringer side by side. Bond had yet to find his inner peace, and I think the kiss was her way of saying, "I hope you get yours too."
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I love the kiss that Bond and Camille share. It's great and in the moment and says a lot about their journey together. I'm not sure the two of them hopping into bed together would've been anywhere near as good as that scene.

Damn, QoS is an excellent movie.

Absolutely. There's people who hate it for not conforming to Bond tropes with our agent banging the girl senseless at the end, but as with much of QoS that's why I love it: it doesn't do what you expect.