Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

• GBFGBF
    oh you people...I hope Lord Brett Sinclair (love that username) will whip your asses soon for your impertinence.

Personally Moore is the only thing saving AVTAK from being the worst Bond film by far.

It may have the best ever Bond theme, one of the best scores and a brilliant gun-barrel and title sequence.
    It may have a great end-game in the mines and on the bridge.

But the rest is meh...to a point where it all is parody.

What about Walken, Mayday and Tibbett?
    I think AVTAK gets a bum deal on here sometimes.....
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    GBF wrote: »
    oh you people...I hope Lord Brett Sinclair (love that username) will whip your asses soon for your impertinence.

Personally Moore is the only thing saving AVTAK from being the worst Bond film by far.

It may have the best ever Bond theme, one of the best scores and a brilliant gun-barrel and title sequence.

^ This. Even when Roberts is bad (at the chateau, at City Hall, in the mine), the other three actors still make the movie watchable. And Moore has more chemistry with Macnee than Roberts!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited November 2016 Posts: 28,694
    echo wrote: »
    GBF wrote: »

^ This. Even when Roberts is bad (at the chateau, at City Hall, in the mine), the other three actors still make the movie watchable. And Moore has more chemistry with Macnee than Roberts!

What's not to love about Tanya Roberts?

"JAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMES! JAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMES! JAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMES! James, am I shouting loud enough and long enough for you?! JAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMES! I'm over here, you know! JAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
    barryt007 wrote: »
    I think AVTAK gets a bum deal on here sometimes.....

Me, too. Granted, I used to think of VIEW as the worst Bond film, but that spot has been taken many times since 1985 to the point AVTAK now looks like FRWL.

Like @BondJasonBond006 said, A View to a Kill has little to offer besides the score, title track, the last 20 minutes, and Roger; however, I still rank it higher than it is generally ranked. There is something about the characters and the flow of the movie that hooks me without fail. I suppose I would rather never know the reasons behind my liking for AVTAK for fear that I would recognize major flaws in those reasons, haha. I watched AVTAK recently and was slightly shocked at how much I ought to dislike it yet don't. Is that a good problem for AVTAK to have?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I am with @ToTheRight. AVTAK used to be the worst, along with MR.

Then the Brosnan films happened, and those films suddenly weren t so bad after all.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Your loss. ;)
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Not necessarily controversial, more of an interesting thought I had;

The BMW from TND was a better actor than Denise Richards. It had more acting range and read its lines better.
    That doesn't take a degree in Nuclear Physics. ;)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Sexier voice too.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Murdock wrote: »
    Your loss. ;)

Austin Powers gif ! Nice.
    For me, Bonds like DAD easily surpassed VIEW as worst Bond. Then in the Craig films, the tampering with formula and eliminating so many elements -GB, Bond getting the leading lady at the end, etc made me appreciate VIEW even more. It made me miss the times when a Bond film delivered on those expectations, and how it played out differently in each film made it still seem fresh.
    Your loss. ;)

Austin Powers gif ! Nice.

I know how much you dislike Silva but i always loved his sillier quirks. :))
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 11,189
    GoldenEye is better than both MR and AVTAK simply for the presence of Scorupco, Gottfried John, Judi Dench and Tchéky Karyo.
    MR and AVTAK are not devoid of good actors.
    MR and AVTAK are not devoid of good actors.

True but most of the time they either ham their parts up or play fairly cartoony characters. The names mentioned above play believable characters in a serious way.
    John hams it up considerably during the tank chase.
    He was full of booze man! Haven't you ever tried Russian Vodka? :))

I have. My forehead hit the pavement.
    Funny how actors are accused of hamming up their parts in Moore films or GE when the worst job ever in that regard happened in Skyfall with Bardem.

I have. My forehead hit the pavement.

See you next fall. ;)
    John hams it up considerably during the tank chase.

Kind of, but he was meant to be drunk at the time...as the above suggested.

I do like MR by the way, but I do think that GoldenEye edges it (slightly) in the acting department.
    Funny how actors are accused of hamming up their parts in Moore films or GE when the worst job ever in that regard happened in Skyfall with Bardem.

It s definitely not among the worst ever, but it was very hammy. Bardem could have done so much better. I was disappointed.
  • RC7RC7
    I can deal with hammy. The best Fleming villains were ludicrous, but brilliant, caricatures. It's why villains like Greene don't really float my boat. Fleming would never have written a character that bland. Bardem brings a certain Flemingian flair to proceedings, for me.
    RC7 wrote: »
    I can deal with hammy. The best Fleming villains were ludicrous, but brilliant, caricatures. It's why villains like Greene don't really float my boat. Fleming would never have written a character that bland. Bardem brings a certain Flemingian flair to proceedings, for me.

I agree. Silva has that flair. But sadly it doesn't fit the movie at all. He disrupts Skyfall after 70 minutes when he appears. SF becomes a totally different movie.
    To be honest, Bardem always reminds me of Pryce. The difference though is Pryce was perfect for TND, it fit the tone of the film.
  • RC7RC7
    RC7 wrote: »

I agree. Silva has that flair. But sadly it doesn't fit the movie at all. He disrupts Skyfall after 70 minutes when he appears. SF becomes a totally different movie.
    To be honest, Bardem always reminds me of Pryce. The difference though is Pryce was perfect for TND, it fit the tone of the film.

It's not Bardem's performance, though, it's the writing that scuppers the initial setup. His intro is great, but once the film returns to London he remains this ubiquitous, unstoppable force which, for me, doesn't quite work. His characterisation is perfectly fine imo.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited November 2016 Posts: 8,087
    He doesn't seem so much a coherent character as a mash up of random elements. I hate the "bip", " Bop" and weird pointing he does. I think after Heath Ledger, actors have been trying to match that intense, unhinged act. No one has come close so far.
    DAD is one of the best Bond films.

After watching it again last night not having seen in a good while i think the film is enormous fun.A big silly blockbuster of a movie and sometimes thats what you need to cheer yourself up after a rough day at work.Watch QOS after a rough day at work and to partly quote Daniel Craig and you may feel like '' Slashing your wrists ''.
    AstonLotus wrote: »
    DAD is one of the best Bond films.

After watching it again last night not having seen in a good while i think the film is enormous fun.A big silly blockbuster of a movie and sometimes thats what you need to cheer yourself up after a rough day at work.Watch QOS after a rough day at work and to partly quote Daniel Craig and you may feel like '' Slashing your wrists ''.

Loving the DAD appreciation. Been awhile since I watched it I may have to pop this one in again. I have a feeling in about 5-10 years, DAD may be looked after in a different light when another Bond is cast and the tone of the films change again. Much like AVTAK and LTK seems to have more fans now than before.