Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

I like Newman's score for SF but I struggle to think of a genuinely memorable original track from SP.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I like his little hints of the Bond Theme. Very retro.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited October 2016 Posts: 10,588
    SP has a better score than AVTAK.
    SP's score isn't bad. But Barry's "He's Dangerous" trumps anything in that film.
    That s the most tedious cue of all.
    That s the most tedious cue of all.

I like "He's dangerous" but this has always been the definitive AVTAK track for me:

That s a good one.
    That s a good one.

Sounds very nostalgic.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    "Wine With Stacey" is the first thing I got goosebumps over following my stroke. Beautiful track.
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 11,189
    royale65 wrote: »
    "Wine With Stacey" is the first thing I got goosebumps over following my stroke. Beautiful track.

I admit that in the weeks after my granddad passed away I sometimes liked to listen to that track for comfort. It one of those Barry scores that gets under your skin.

• royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    royale65 wrote: »

I admit that in the weeks after my granddad passed away I sometimes liked to listen to that track for comfort. It one of those Barry scores that gets under your skin.

It is that kind of track. Very touching.

I like parts of the AVTAK score, but it is the one Barry score that isn t in my top ten Bond scores. Non-Barry scores that I enjoy more are LTK, GE, CR, QOS, SF and SP.
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 154
    1. I don't like Daniel Craig in the role because he neither looks nor acts the part of either the movie Bond or the Fleming Bond. This isn't because of the more serious take. I like the serious take. Dalton though, was WAY better. He looked and acted the part, combining the Fleming and movie Bonds.

2. SPECTRE is one of the best movies in the entire series. It would be number one except for a poor third act (something most Bond movies suffer), a weak score (something SF also suffered), the "artsy" cinematography (hated the yellow hue on every scene) and the casting of Craig (not that he gave a bad performance, I just don't like him in the role). I am convinced that the movie was panned in the corporate media because of its strong anti-NWO stance. I LOVED the Nine Eyes subplot. It was a damned good movie with some of the best directing and acting in the entire series. It struck a near perfect balance between a fantasy action adventure and a serious espionage thriller -- and, I believe, striking that perfect balance between fun and gritty realism is the very factor defining the best Bond movies. There's NO WAY this is a worse movie than DAF (the movie in which Bond is a celebrity spy!), which is what we're to believe according to the Rotten Tomatoes aggregation of media critics.

3. SF is a horrible "Bond" movie and possibly the most plot-fault ridden of ALL Bond movies (and that's saying something, as all Bond movies are FULL of plot faults). The overly personal aspect of the story removed all mystery from the character. It was nearly completely lacking in truly Bondian panache-laden action stunts (outside the pre-credit scene). Also, I'm tired of Hong Kong being a plot device in Bond movies. To its credit, I do think the movie had some great acting, directing and cinematography.

4. QofS was a good Bond movie. The poor action editing and lack of character development kept it from being a great Bond movie, but it was still good. Much of the action, especially the fight scenes, was great (even with the bad editing). The plot was probably the most realistic of any Bond movie. Like SP, I suspect the plot is the real reason why the movie was panned by corporate media critics, as this movie too had something of an anti-NWO angle -- highlighting, as it does, the corporate takeover of natural resources (water) with the collusion of government (something that is really happening in the world).

5. TWINE is the best Brosnan Bond movie. Its problems are a weak third act (all the Brosnan Bond movies suffer from this though), some ridiculous plot elements (i.e. a lone woman attacking MI6 on open water in broad daylight all by herself) and the horrible miscasting of Denise Richards, but its still Brosnan's best. It was action packed with great stunts while still being a serious espionage thriller. The movie highlighted western oil-based involvement in Central Asia and the Middle East, probably contributing to the corporate media panning the movie.

6 GE, while enjoyable, is highly over-rated. The third act seemed copied from a dozen other Bond movies. Everyone in the world speaks English as their first language (which kept taking me out of the movie). The movie is chock full of plot faults and the silly Boris character is completely annoying.

7. This one may not really be all that controversial... Moore should have been let go after MR. When the tone of the movies changes, it requires another actor. Moore was great for the 70s. If Dalton had taken-over following MR, then FYEO would have been one of the very best movies in the series. Moore's age and lack of physicality ruins FYEO.

8. LTK is one of the best Bond movies in the entire series. It's the ONLY Bond movie where EVERY action scene is completely integrated into the plot, the stunts actually moving the story along instead of simply being tacked onto the script. Here again we have a realistic plot involving drug cocaine smuggling from South America (something in which the U.S. government is known to have been involved) and, here again, the corporate media panned it. I see a pattern here. Give us fantastic silly plots that involve threatening the western world (that Bond prevents) and the corporate media will claim to love it. Give us antil-NWO plots or plots that highlight the evils committed by the western corporate/government collusion and, no matter how great the movie, the corporate media will pan it.

9. Dalton is second best Bond actor of all time (behind Connery).

10. GF, OHMSS, GE, CR and SF are all overrated by serious Bond fans. LALD, FYEO, LTK, TWINE, OofS and SP are all underrated by serious Bond fans.

11. Craig, though a GREAT actor, is the 2nd worst Bond of all time (only ahead of Lazenby) because he is miscast as Bond. He'd make a great villian.

12. It's time for Craig to go.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    @gklein agree on everything concerning the Craig era.
    Even no. 11?
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Even no. 11?

I didn't read the small print. Of course I want Craig to stay IF Bond 25 hits the theater by 2018.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    karin-dor-beleesik-a-piranha.gif
    Interesting post gklein! I agree on a lot of it, particularly LTK, which I was trying to defend on another thread here!
    Murdock wrote: »
    karin-dor-beleesik-a-piranha.gif

Who is that?

I recognize you, but who is the woman?
  • gklein wrote: »
    1. I don't like Daniel Craig in the role because he neither looks nor acts the part of either the movie Bond or the Fleming Bond. This isn't because of the more serious take. I like the serious take. Dalton though, was WAY better. He looked and acted the part, combining the Fleming and movie Bonds.

The Craig-era has given us the best run of quality Bond movies since the sixties, but I still feel the same niggle as you about DC in the role, and I think it comes down to his looks, more than his 'swagger'. The scene in CR when he says "perhaps you're just out of practice", and he's supposed to be turning on the charm. He just looks geeky!
    He's a great actor though, and he's done the Bond series lots of favours. It's not his fault he's got sticky out ears and looks a bit like Sid James.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    gklein wrote: »

11. It's time for Craig to go.

Exactly my thoughts.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Who is that?

I recognize you, but who is the woman?

A calculated risk. Most regrettable.
    shamanimal wrote: »

The Craig-era has given us the best run of quality Bond movies since the sixties, but I still feel the same niggle as you about DC in the role, and I think it comes down to his looks, more than his 'swagger'. The scene in CR when he says "perhaps you're just out of practice", and he's supposed to be turning on the charm. He just looks geeky!
    He's a great actor though, and he's done the Bond series lots of favours. It's not his fault he's got sticky out ears and looks a bit like Sid James.

Agree completely with all you said.

Mathis1 wrote: »
    Interesting post gklein! I agree on a lot of it, particularly LTK, which I was trying to defend on another thread here!

thank you.
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 11,189
    6 GE, while enjoyable, is highly over-rated. The third act seemed copied from a dozen other Bond movies. Everyone in the world speaks English as their first language (which kept taking me out of the movie).

But they do in other Bond movies too (FRWL, OP, TSWLM, AVTAK)
    shamanimal wrote: »

I think that's a great moment. He's turning on the charm and she knows it (and he knows she knows it). Far from geeky.

Dalton was the geeky one (ducks for cover) ;)
    But they do in other Bond movies too (FRWL, OP, TSWLM, AVTAK)/b]

True, but I found it particularly annoying in GE, given the extent of Bond's interaction with Russians.
    English as a spoken language is fine, it is the accents that make it sound dumb.

True, but I found it particularly annoying in GE, given the extent of Bond's interaction with Russians.

What about Bond and Tatiana in FRWL though? She only says one phrase of Russian and that's to herself.
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 154

What about Bond and Tatiana in FRWL though? She only says one phrase of Russian and that's to herself.

Tatiana was chosen specifically and used to trap Bond and, presumably, her ability to speak English is one of the reasons she was chosen (or, at least, we can justify it that way). Anyway, again, I'm not saying that this same problem (everyone in the world speaking English) doesn't exist in other Bond movies. It definitely does. It's just that a new LEVEL of un-beleivability is struck in GE (in this regard). Hell, even Boris' riddle/joke about "something you sit on but can't take it with you" is based upon an English word (five letters) -- even though he's in a Russian setting speaking to other Russians when he presents the riddle!
    Mathis1 wrote: »

thank you.

Tatiana was chosen specifically and used to trap Bond and, presumably, her ability to speak English is one of the reasons she was chosen (or, at least, we can justify it that way). Anyway, again, I'm not saying that this same problem (everyone in the world speaking English) doesn't exist in other Bond movies. It definitely does. It's just that a new LEVEL of un-beleivability is struck in GE (in this regard). Hell, even Boris' riddle/joke about "something you sit on but can't take it with you" is based upon an English word (five letters) -- even though he's in a Russian setting speaking to other Russians when he presents the riddle!

I get your point but I can't say it's something that's really bothered me.

What bugs me a bit though about that riddle in GE is how a seemingly intelligent computer programmer fluent in English can't guess a riddle a 6 year old would get.