Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

Tom Hardy could be an absolutely brilliant and brutal 007 and it's honestly a tough battle between him and Fassbender as to who I want more when Daniel steps down both are in their late 30's so I don't see age being a factor even if Craig did a 5th more then likely they would be 42/43 which would still be fine.

And why is this here apparently I am the only person on earth who thinks Hardy would be brilliant as 007
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    You are not. There are a few other Hardy boys around here.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited June 2016 Posts: 40,480
    The Tom Hardy of 'Inception' might play a good 007, but as much as I like him as an actor, I don't think he would be "brilliant" in the role.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I'd take Hardy over Murphy, who has recently been suggested. However, I'd still prefer a little more refinement going forward. Someone who could more readily pull off the smooth b@st^rd that is Bond, and also credibly demonstrate the worldly knowledge about everything that has been missing since Connery/Moore.
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 1,394
    The World Is Not Enough is Brosnans best Bond film by far.His best performance in the role along with a terrific complex plot,great action sequences,Sophie Marceau and Robert Carlyle amongst the best villains of the series,and i even liked Denise Richards as Dr.Christmas Jones!
    AstonLotus wrote: »
    The World Is Not Enough is Brosnans best Bond film by far.His best performance in the role along with a terrific complex plot,great action sequences,Sophie Marceau and Robert Carlyle amongst the best villains of the series,and i even liked Denise Richards as Dr.Christmas Jones!
    This opinion certainly fits in with the title of this thread, at least from where I'm standing!
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    I've mentioned my dislike for this character before, but I'll put it clearly and bluntly now;
    Xenia Onatopp is the worst character in the Bond franchise. I'll take Bibi, and even the double-taking pigeon over her.
    The only good thing about Live and Let Die is the theme song.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    AstonLotus wrote: »

Except Denisse as Christmas Jones i agree with this. I dont hate her but didn't add anything special to the film, im not bothered by her but I could have lived without her as well.

• Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    The Tom Hardy of 'Inception' might play a good 007, but as much as I like him as an actor, I don't think he would be "brilliant" in the role.

Isn't he too short for Bond? Hell I'm taller than him and I ain't no giant! Great actor but not Bond.
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 1,817
    Oh but the plot of TWINE is complex... The way it unravels is like a detective story. It progressively builds in a respectable zig-zag way that I do appreciate.

EDIT: But I hate Carlyle, to be honest, the moment he screams 'NOOOOOOOOOO!' in the submarine is far worse than anything else in the film...
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    I'm a TWINE defender too. In my top half Bond films actually.

Big Sophie Marceau fan too.
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    I'm a TWINE defender too. In my top half Bond films actually.

Big Sophie Marceau fan too.

Never got the hate for TWINE, although I'd prefer if the PTS was as originally done and leave the 'down the Thames' boat chase as the first action beat.
    With you on Sophie - gorgeous, sexy actress.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

I'm always surprised to see that LALD isn't as loved by fans as I always assume it is. I don't think it'll ever leave my Top 5, but if so, it'll always be a Top 10.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    First Bond in the cinema for me, so I have a soft spot for it, but I also
    Think it's a great film, and Roger gives a great performance as Bond.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.

Yep. The only other good part is when Bond drives the out of control car from the back seat.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    The only other good parts fill in the rest of the film.

Yep. The only other good part is when Bond drives the out of control car from the back seat.

I'll concede that that is actually very tense and well-shot sequence. And I love Yaphet Kotto but Kananga is just... just... there. Kotto has a lot of fun with the role but I just don't think he's a particularly good villain.
    Love TWINE. Always found it a big improvement on TND and a worthy successor to Goldeneye. It was even my favourite Brosnan film for a while. Great action, Elektra is a fantastic different villain, Brosnan is brilliant as always, there's great character development for Bond, Renard makes a menacing and then surprisingly sympathetic villain/henchman (the dynamic between the villains is brilliant, fresh and original), the theme song is the best of the Brosnan era, the Z8 is the only one of the BMWs that fits in amongst the great Bond cars, Zukofsky is back, there are some great action setpieces, Elektra's plan is actually fairly unique and interesting, etc. It has its flaws but I don't think I'll ever understand why some regard it as a bottom of the barrel Bond film. Certainly doesn't deserve to be talked about amongst the likes of TMWTGG and DAD.

Actually here's a controversial opinion. People like to talk about how the Brosnan era quickly descended into formula, but TWINE takes a lot of risks and is much more original in general than some of the more highly regarded Bond films (TSWLM, GE and Spectre to name a few, and for the record I love all of them and hold them in higher regard than TWINE).

I'm always surprised to see that LALD isn't as loved by fans as I always assume it is. I don't think it'll ever leave my Top 5, but if so, it'll always be a Top 10.

I want to love it but I just find it too flawed to make it into my top 10, which is frustrating because there's a lot of good stuff. I actually rewatched it the other day, my thoughts on what I liked/disliked are in the last Bond movie you watched thread.
  • Actually here's a controversial opinion. People like to talk about how the Brosnan era quickly descended into formula, but TWINE takes a lot of risks and is much more original in general than some of the more highly regarded Bond films (TSWLM, GE and Spectre to name a few, and for the record I love all of them and hold them in higher regard than TWINE).

I agree! TWINE was unique most of the time. I find many moments in it novel and inspired. Only devolving into genericism occasionally (caviar factory).
  • GBFGBF
    Actually here's a controversial opinion. People like to talk about how the Brosnan era quickly descended into formula, but TWINE takes a lot of risks and is much more original in general than some of the more highly regarded Bond films (TSWLM, GE and Spectre to name a few, and for the record I love all of them and hold them in higher regard than TWINE).

I agree! TWINE was unique most of the time. I find many moments in it novel and inspired. Only devolving into genericism occasionally (caviar factory).

TWINE is also for me a very underrated Bond film. I think it is very original and some more recent films such as Skyfall copied from it. My second favourite Brosnan film after the slightly better golden Eye. I actually don't like the other two.

As a fourteen year-old I thought it was great. But as the years have passed it has slipped considerably in my rankings. Not as bad as TMWTGG or DAF, but close.

As much as I viscerally dislike this film, I'm inclined to agree. They did at least try to take a different approach, which was quite unique for a spy entry. They may have executed it poorly (in my view) but they must be given credit for the premise. This was P&W's debut, if I'm not mistaken.
  • Goldfinger isn t overrated. It is almost perfect.

I think you misspelled Goldeneye there. ;)

Por que no los dos?
    Maybe only indirectly Bond movie related, but here is a bit of controversy from the EU thread I made a few minutes ago:

I always thought that both movie and novel Blofeld would be pro EU. Disdain if not hostility for democracy, disregard for national particularities, focus on discipline, obedience and loyalty towards a stateless/para-state entity... SPECTRE is like the criminal version of the EU.
    As fan fictiony as it is, I kind of like the idea that was originally intended for DAF. Get rid of Blofeld and his space laser. Instead, the man impersonating Willard Whyte is revealed to be Goldfinger, Auric's twin brother, who not only masterminded the diamond smuggling operation but is also acting as a treasurer for the KGB, using the profits to fund soviet spy operations in the US as revenge against the west for the death of his brother, while at the same time taking a large cut off the profits for himself to eventually fund larger crimes, perhaps to set up his own international crime syndicate so that he could leave a lasting legacy like his brother intended. But the Russians ordered him to dissolve the pipeline and cut his losses once they realized the west were onto them. When Bond discovers Goldfinger, he's captured and Goldfinger orders his death, but it's to be slow and painful after what Bond did to his brother. So Bond is taken to Spectreville to be tortured but is rescued by Tiffany who tails them there. With the pipeline dissolved, Goldfinger escapes Las Vegas but arranges to pick up one last shipment of diamonds himself from Sierra Leon before shutting down the pipeline for good. But he and his men are intercepted by soldiers, led by Bond, who pursues and kills him.

That's just an idea, and I tried to use bits of Fleming to give it credibility, but honestly the main reason is that Gert Frobe was such a great villain and it would've been great to have him back and make Connery's return a stand alone Bond film, instead of souring the legacy of OHMSS by making a half arsed follow up.
    CR reboot was written for the wrong actor - this whole series has been flawed from the beginning - in the space of four films Bond has rebooted himself 4 times - crazy - to account for Bond's sudden aging in this series. Crazy man, crazy man.
  • Sanchairs wrote: »
    CR reboot was written for the wrong actor - this whole series has been flawed from the beginning - in the space of four films Bond has rebooted himself 4 times - crazy - to account for Bond's sudden aging in this series. Crazy man, crazy man.

I agree to an extent. After CR everyone expected them to go to standalone missions. Unfortunately, we got QOS, which was our first ever sequel. Then SF was pretty much a reboot again with the concept of rebirth. Cue SP and Bond still isn't quite there yet really with the standalone missions.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    edited July 2016 Posts: 5,080
    My biggest gripe with the Craig era is its lack of focus and the "making it up as they go along" approach it took.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    Here is a new one
    Sean Bean is a little too handosme to be a Bond Villain. Not all have to be Goldfinger but Sean Bean was handsome enough to play Bond himself.

The Bond villains have to look a little creepy. Sure Sean has on his side that played another 00 agent but still so did Javier Bardem and still had the creepy vibe.
    He did a great Job as Alec Trevelyan but his looks were a little against him. Weve never have had such a good looking Bond baddie before