Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

The ice palace in DAD is the best villain lair outside of the 60s/70s ones. I thought it was great and it gave us what's probably the best line in the film ("plenty of ice, if you can spare it").

Stamper is one of the worst henchmen because he's just so bland. He brings nothing new. I actually prefer Zao, at least he had a more original idea behind him. Zao was a north korean terrorists with diamonds embedded in his face and a gadget packed jaguar. Stamper was just another big, blonde henchman, I thought he was a very boring character.

Strawberry Fields, while fit, is one of the most annoying Bond girls.

Samantha Bond is better than Naomi Harris as moneypenny (so far). I thought Harris' flirting with Craig felt really forced while with Bond and Brosnan it was natural, they had real chemistry.

This is exactly my thoughts on Stamper. This is exactly why I think he's quite possibly the worst in the series (though Vargas is completely useless as well).
  • RC7RC7
    The ice palace in DAD is the best villain lair outside of the 60s/70s ones. I thought it was great and it gave us what's probably the best line in the film ("plenty of ice, if you can spare it").

I think it had the 'potential' to be, but IMO it was woefully realised. Lamont tried to do an Adam and failed. Only Ken could do those, mainly because he'd probably have insisted on them building it for real. I thought it looked cheap and has aged pretty badly. The only Iceland shots with any zeal are the genuine ones, featured in the chase.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 12,837

Stamper is one of the worst henchmen because he's just so bland. He brings nothing new. I actually prefer Zao, at least he had a more original idea behind him. Zao was a north korean terrorists with diamonds embedded in his face and a gadget packed jaguar. Stamper was just another big, blonde henchman, I thought he was a very boring character.

Strawberry Fields, while fit, is one of the most annoying Bond girls.

Samantha Bond is better than Naomi Harris as moneypenny (so far). I thought Harris' flirting with Craig felt really forced while with Bond and Brosnan it was natural, they had real chemistry.

This is exactly my thoughts on Stamper. This is exactly why I think he's quite possibly the worst in the series (though Vargas is completely useless as well).

I think Elvis is probably the worst but Stamper definitely gives him a run for his money. Vargas was very forgettable but I think he has a cool death (with a great one liner from Bond afterwards) so I don't really mind him.
    RC7 wrote:

I think it had the 'potential' to be, but IMO it was woefully realised. Lamont tried to do an Adam and failed. Only Ken could do those, mainly because he'd probably have insisted on them building it for real. I thought it looked cheap and has aged pretty badly. The only Iceland shots with any zeal are the genuine ones, featured in the chase.

I thought it looked a bit cheap during the party but most of the time I thought it looked cool. I liked the big dome bit where Graves' office was, with the glass floor and all the plants underneath it. I think they missed a trick there though, they could've made the plants poisonous and made it an adaptation of the garden of death from YOLT.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Even though the editing his horrendous, the PTS for QoS is in the top 5 best PTSs in the series.

Benny wrote:
    Controversial opinion / confession :
    I have something of a soft spot for CR 67 and cannot hate it. Although not the greatest movie ever, I appreciate it's 60's ness.

Benny,thats some confession...and not a good one old pal !!

:-&
    Haha. You really don't like that movie do you Barry.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Haha. You really don't like that movie do you Barry.

hahaha its the BAIN of my life !! get it ? (Bane/BAIN)....oooh i do love a good pun ;)

Tutut.

It is a pretty awful film in fairness. I'm sure Peter Sellers looked back on dressing up as a Nazi with fondness.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Tutut.

It is a pretty awful film in fairness. I'm sure Peter Sellers looked back on dressing up as a Nazi with fondness.

The whole thing is a joke and the film is so up itself,thinking its brilliant.
    I cant bear to watch it again ever and it doesnt deserve to have Bond linked to it in any way,shape or form.

Would you prefer to watch DAD?

Both films are pretty insane.
    Easily....DAD is 1000% better !!
    I'd prefer to watch DAD too. At least the first half is relitively decent.
    It is indeed.
    DAD is my guilty pleasure when im drunk,its very watchable actually.
    barryt007 wrote:
    It is indeed.

Is it a good thing you have to be drunk to watch and enjoy it?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    BAIN123 wrote:
    barryt007 wrote:
    It is indeed.

How often do you watch it? On a daily basis?
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 19,339
    BAIN123 wrote:

Well it doesnt do me any harm,once in a while !
    How often do you watch it? On a daily basis?

hahaha im probably drunk on a daily basis but i watch DAD very infrequently.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Better than the other way around.
    Better than the other way around.

The other way round would indeed be a bit of a worry !!

• pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    I think Elvis is probably the worst but Stamper definitely gives him a run for his money.
    I agree that Elvis is definitely the worst. I know that Stamper is extremely generic but I've always enjoyed him regardless.
    pachazo wrote:
    I think Elvis is probably the worst but Stamper definitely gives him a run for his money.
    I agree that Elvis is definitely the worst. I know that Stamper is extremely generic but I've always enjoyed him regardless.

Mr Kil was the worst. Stamper's so-so but nothing special

"For Carver...yah...AND KAULFMAN...YAH"
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Would you prefer to watch DAD?

Both films are pretty insane.

I thought DAD was untouchably bad...until I saw CR67 for the first and last time. Good God, but it was dreadful. Not only a profound failure at every level, it invented a few other levels, just for good measure, and failed at them, too.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 12,837
    doubleoego wrote:
    Even though the editing his horrendous, the PTS for QoS is in the top 5 best PTSs in the series.

I think it's one of the better parts of the film and it's a decent PTS but the likes of GF, TSWLM, TLD, GE, TWINE, CR and SF blow it out of the water imo.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    pachazo wrote:

Mr Kil was the worst. Stamper's so-so but nothing special

"For Carver...yah...AND KAULFMAN...YAH"

Mr Kil was only really there for a bad pun but at least he had a distinctive look to him, he was more original than Stamper. Stamper was just a crap, boring retread of what we'd seen before.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    I saw CR67 recently, and I must say I enjoyed David Niven's lines;

Sir James: [taking the reins of the British Secret Service] Oh, by the way, Moneypenny, since I've come in here, have you heard me stammer?
    Miss Moneypenny: No, sir!
    Sir James: Splendid. Let me know if I do; I haven't got time for that sort of thing now.

and

Sir James: [Giving a description of his era's spy type] ... vocationally devoted, sublimely disinterested. Hardly a description of that sexual acrobat who leaves a trail of dead beautiful women like so many blown roses behind him - that bounder to whom you gave my name and number.

and

regrading the head of the CIA, MI6, French and Russian Intelligence on their reliance on gadgets;

Sir James: And you, Smernov, with an armoury concealed in your grotesque boots... And Le Grand, with different deadly poisons in each of your fly button. And you M, with your flame-throwing fountain pens. You're joke shop spies, gentlemen.

• @thelivingroyale, but Mr. Kil descended into self-parody. That was one of the worst jokes in DAD (no easy feat), and it only served to mock the series. Stamper was generic, but at least he didn't actively insult the franchise with his very existence.
    1. George Lazenby is not bad like many believe, but amazing

2. TMWTGG is a good film

3. License to kill is a great film

4. Not really controversial lol but yea I have watched Octopussy more than I have watched any other bond film

5. I think that TLD is a decent film, but it kind of drags on a bit, dalton feels out of place in it
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Ottofuse8 wrote:

2. TMWTGG is a good film

4. Not really controversial lol but yea I have watched Octopussy more than I have watched any other bond film

5. I think that TLD is a decent film, but it kind of drags on a bit, dalton feels out of place in it

This seems to be true for a lot of people. Funny, that...
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Birdleson wrote:
    Just looking at the majority of people's rankings on this site, I believe that this is controversial. I don't understand the OCTOPUSSY thing at all. How it's so beloved. I've read and heard many explanations, yet it escapes me. I realize that it's out there. I find it to be the epitome of the worst of the Moore era (and I am a big fan of LALD and TSWLM).
    I was in my twenties when I saw it in the theatre and didn't care for it then. I like the part where Bond shoots those Russian soldiers, I kind of dig the knife fight, but that's about it. And Steve Berkoff was very good.
    I really don't get it.

Well the truly great Bond films, have often baffled the conventional minds.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Benny wrote:
    Moore was in absolutely top form in OP, and it delivered in the fun AND espionage departments IMHO. FYEO may have been his finest moment, but OP is the one I go to again & again...
    Ottofuse8 wrote:

2. TMWTGG is a good film

Wow I agree fully on all of these besides 4 (haven't watched it too much, maybe twice or thrice)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited March 2014 Posts: 28,694
    chrisisall wrote:
    Benny wrote:
    Moore was in absolutely top form in OP, and it delivered in the fun AND espionage departments IMHO. FYEO may have been his finest moment, but OP is the one I go to again & again...

I will say this for OP: beyond all its campy moments, the defusing scene in the circus alone is admittedly very tense and very well shot. It's always nice to see Q get some credit too at the end of the adventure once one accounts for all the times that Bond would've died without his genius.