Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

In general isn't LALD kind of an underrated Bond film? Lots of people just pass it off as really dated and blaxploitation and ignore its good merits. To me it's easily one of the best of the lighthearted Bond films.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Agreement here.
    Birdleson wrote:
    FoxRox wrote:
    In general isn't LALD kind of an underrated Bond film? Lots of people just pass it off as really dated and blaxploitation and ignore its good merits. To me it's easily one of the best of the lighthearted Bond films.

It's number 7 on my list, and never seems to fall any further. I love every aspect of it, especially the blaxploitation stuff. Moore is excellent in his debut.

Ah there's my fellow LALD supporter haha! It's just such a fun movie; even though the likes of OHMSS and CR are my favorite type of Bond film, it's good to have films like LALD to lighten it up and be unique. And Moore is fantastic, yes.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    LALD is an awesome film. One of the first I saw, my opinion of it hasn't changed. There's so much to like, whether it's Martin's colourful score, the supernatural themes, likeable villain, and great sets in Mr. Big's Fillet of Soul HQ or Kananga's cavern lair. It also has some great allies in Felix, Solitaire, and memorable henchman in Tee Hee and Baron Samedi. Great debut for Rog', and I love the action.

My (perhaps) controversial opinion:

Out of the two 1983 themes, I prefer Lani Hall's NSNA over Rita Coolidge's All Time High.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I understand NSNA's sound quality isn't up to par with ATH, but I just like the song itself a little bit more than the latter.
    FoxRox wrote:

I think it is pretty much average on most people's list. Very consensual movie in its average rating I would have.
    Tracy wrote:
    -FRWL and TB are the most overrated Bond films.

Ow !!!!!!

:O
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I would not mind seeing a Bond film all in b/w.
    I think the PTS of CR is the most we will ever see of that.
  • RC7RC7

When I was a kid, with bags of ambition and absolutely no money, I used to dream of winning the lottery and financing my own personal B+W adaptation of MR, done as a period piece. Naturally it would have been for private viewing and as such a ridiculous vanity project. I'd still love to do it.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited February 2014 Posts: 23,718
    There's always the CR television adaptation featuring Barry Nelson. ;-)
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited February 2014 Posts: 13,352
    DarthDimi wrote:

Being 60 years old this year I wonder if it will get another release on DVD and/or BD. I would love to buy it.
    I was hoping a re-mastered version would be released. That end scene needs quite a bit of work done to it and now would seem the time to do it.

I will have a look into this Blu-ray, thanks!
    DarthDimi wrote:

I have seen that on youtube. Not very good. I once saw GE on an old b/w TV set, and it looked a lot better to be honest. One can always turn off the colors and see how it works. Maybe an idea for my next marathon, have not had one for 4 or 5 years,
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 12,837

I don't see the appeal. Colour is a step forward, why not not use it?

For some films I suppose it makes sense. EG- A Field In England. It's a film from the director of Kill List. I saw it a few months ago and I didn't really like it (thought it was boring, pretentious and disappointing) but the black and white did help create a creepy atmosphere and the film looked great, very good cinematography.

But for something like Bond, I don't see the point. I think colour adds a lot to the locations. EG- QOS. One of my least favourite Bond films but Forster used colour brilliantly. The plush white interiors, the dusty deserts outside, etc. It's a really good looking film (when you can tell what's going on) and it wouldn't be the same in black and white.

Same in Skyfall. I don't think we'd all be raving about the cinematography if it was all in black and white.
    RC7 wrote:

When I was a kid, with bags of ambition and absolutely no money, I used to dream of winning the lottery and financing my own personal B+W adaptation of MR, done as a period piece. Naturally it would have been for private viewing and as such a ridiculous vanity project. I'd still love to do it.

But why black and white? Why not do a period piece adaptation of MR in colour? I just don't get it.
    Some films just look stunning in b/w. Think Rumble Fish or Sin City. Or White Castle from the 30s. But agree that colors add tremendously to most Bond films we have had so far.
    True, it can create a good atmosphere and I liked it at the beginning of CR. But I think a whole Bond film in b/w would take away from the film rather than add to it. I think it's more suited to noire crime films than globe trotting spy films.
    There's more chance of 3D happening than black and white!
  • RC7RC7
    But why black and white? Why not do a period piece adaptation of MR in colour? I just don't get it.

Aesthetic reasons. Old B+W film stock has a quality too it that is beautiful, particularly when played back on a 35mm projector.
  • Birdleson wrote:
    I would love to see the bOnd films in period and in black and white.

I don't think the main film series should ever do a period piece. Bond has always changed with the times and moved forward, not back.

I would like a TV series set in the 50s though, that were faithful adaptations of the Fleming books. They could do it like Sherlock: feature length episodes, each based on a different book.
  • Birdleson wrote:
    FoxRox wrote:

It's number 7 on my list, and never seems to fall any further. I love every aspect of it, especially the blaxploitation stuff. Moore is excellent in his debut.

I also rate it considerably higher than most. I think it's in the 9-11 range with me right now.

• LALD is probably my third favourite Moore film. It's alright (I think I have it in the 15-20 range, can't remember) but TSWLM and OP are miles better imo.
    I'm another that would say its place around 10-ish is good enough. It is after all, better than average.
    Ive got it #16 at the moment but it fluctuates and i dont think it would get any lower than that.
    It's a mixed bag for me, I wouldn't say it's better than average. I like Moore, the theme song, the score, the villains, the voodoo stuff and Solitaire. I think there are some funny lines and I even like JW Pepper.

But I think the plot is bland, the action is forgettable (apart from the crocodile stunt), the locations aren't great and it annoys me how every single villain is black. Mid table Bond film for me. Not one of the worst but far from being one of the best either imo.
    I don't think the plot is bland at all. I understand your other criticisms.
    I found it bland because at the end of the day, Kanaga was just a drug dealer. A drug dealer with a clever idea and some cool henchmen but still just a drug dealer. At the end of LALD, Bond stopped a heroin producing operation. He did that in five minutes at the beginning of Goldfinger.

LTK would have the same issue if it was just Bond stopping Sanchez but you also have the revenge/rogue angle, which I think makes it much more interesting.
  • I would not mind seeing a Bond film all in b/w.

I doubt that would happen--but that would be kind of cool.
    I found it bland because at the end of the day, Kanaga was just a drug dealer. A drug dealer with a clever idea and some cool henchmen but still just a drug dealer. At the end of LALD, Bond stopped a heroin producing operation. He did that in five minutes at the beginning of Goldfinger.

I like the way its presented. You have the mystery of the MI6 agents being murdered, the double agents, the voodoo, their connection and the colourful collection of characters. One could summarise any Bond film with a few words but I see no need to.
  • Samuel001 wrote:

I like the way its presented. You have the mystery of the MI6 agents being murdered, the double agents, the voodoo, their connection and the colourful collection of characters.

Agreed. My first 007 memory is watching the funeral procession on TV.