Favorite version of the Bond theme?

124»

Comments

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Well I finally figured out which version of the James Bond theme that is which is now my new favorite version. It's from the album "The Concert John Barry" Released in 1972.

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Might just have to pick up that album, just checked it on the Discogs website and a N/M copy could be mine for under a £5

Barry always sounds it's best on vinyl.
    I bought the CD instantly, It's really good. It's cool to find out he did that symphonic style of the Bond theme common in the Moore era before Live and Let Die even came out.
    I just bought it should be on it's way this week to me, I look forward to giving it a spin.

Thanks for that find Murdock.
    My pleasure Shardlake. A worthy addition to my Bond music collection and John Barry collection as well. :)
    I've got all the Barry Bond LP's now but are always looking for more Barry full stop.

• edited April 2016 Posts: 1,817
    My favourite is probably David Arnold's version for CR. It's basically DN, but touched up.

Honourable mentions to QOS, LTK and DN. Those are the ones that spring to mind immediately. I don't like Newman's arrangement in SF (Breadcrumbs) it isn't as bombastic as it should be.
    This is just a small sample of how many versions of the James Bond Theme I have alone. The rest are with soundtracks these are just single versions I've gathered over the years. :D
    snt97Ai.jpg?2
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    The James Bond Theme - Bond vs Oakenfold
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    The Bond theme through the decades. This guy needs to do more of this stuff;
    Murdock wrote: »
    My pleasure Shardlake. A worthy addition to my Bond music collection and John Barry collection as well. :)

@Murdock definitely a find that album, currently spinning as I type. The Bond suite is terrific and yes I do like that arrangement of the JB theme.

I have a soft spot for the earlier arrangements, this one in particular, no sample though I'm afraid, from this albums I have in my collection. I'd not heard the Adventurer before, cracking tune.

http://www.amazon.com/Themeology-Best-JOHN-BARRY/dp/B000025OLO

I think the same arrangement is on some other earlier compilations from the 60's

I do think Barry's versions are always worth my time but I do like the jazzy swing of those earlier versions but can also appreciate the bigger more sweeping orchestral arrangements.

The Bond theme on OHMSS is also a particular favourite of mine but that score is one of my all time favourites anyway.

John Barry is the longest lasting musical influence on me, I remember my Dad playing me is Barry Bond LP's from an early age, I think that music is actually my first taste of Bond.

His music has stuck with me ever since and he's my favourite composer of all time and his influence far out stretchs film scoring, only a small selection of his peers have had that effect, the man is an utter genius and I have had hours of enjoyment from his music, it's probably the reason why the others have just never matched up to him.

I know some of you can enjoy the composers but long lasting effect that he's had on me makes it hard to think anyone ever matches up, whereas you could argue other aspects even the actors to play Bond have been bettered, the music is just too good imo to be touched.

Its a toss up between Barrys version in OP & AVTAK or David Arnolds in TWINE
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    I love the TLD gunbarrel music.
    @Shardlake, I have that album you mentioned. Great stuff. :) Barry's different arrangements of the Bond theme are just so cool. It wasn't until I heard the JB theme used in the Free Fall scene of Moonraker and the title theme of OHMSS that I really became interested in Bond music as a whole. As a kid I loved GoldenEye's music. I didn't even know you could own the scores yet. I didn't find that out until 10 years ago when I started collecting the scores. Barry's arrangments of the Bond theme from Moore's era are my favorite but his scores from the 60's are his Best his touch on music has never been surpassed but others have come very close. I also go above and beyond to collect his non Bond work too. His score for The Black Hole is my favorite Non Bond score of his. Very good stuff.
    The original version in DN, though my favourite variation is OHMSS.
  • edited April 2016 Posts: 4,325
    Top 6

1. FRWL titles version
    2. Original from Dr. No.
    3. OHMSS version
    4. Version in DAF when Bond enters where Willard Whyte is holding up
    5. TLD version
    6. GoldenEye trailer arrangement
    Two throwbacks I like are Billy Strange and The Ventures.