Everyday Drinking

Comments

• RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    The second Saturday in June. Tempus fugit.
    Facebook-branded-templates-1.png
    world-gin-day.jpg
    DfQhnh5V4AA_Vkj.jpg

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited June 2020 Posts: 7,526
    Have any Vesper fans tried this?
    Kina%20LAero.webp
    Kina L'Aero D'Or is supposed to be closer to Kina Lillet even than Cocchi Americano, and the manufacturer even has a Bondian name: Tempus Fugit Spirits.
    I'd love to get my hands on a bottle.
    I'll seek that out, @NickTwentyTwo. Timely.

NATIONAL-MARTINI-DAY-June-19.png
    This year the Bombay Club in New Orleans is temporarily closed, they recommend the Empire Bar at Broussard's.

I'm sure they make fine martinis. A couple other items on their menu piqued my interest.
    Broussards-100LOGO-web.png
    https://broussards.com/menu/empire-bar/
    Cocktails Through The Decades
    1920: Bee’s Knees
    Gordon’s Gin, Yellow Chartreuse, Lemon, Honey-Sage Syrup
    1930: Dorothy Lamour
    Bacardi Superior, Grapefruit, Blood Orange Solerno,
    Blueberry-Pomegranate Grenadine
    1940: Isadora Duncan
    Knob Creek Bourbon, Blackberries, Lemon, Honey-Sage Syrup
    1950: Big Hopper
    Crème De Menthe Dark, Crème De Menthe Light, Creme Cacao Dark, Crème De Cacao Light, Heavy Whipping Cream
    1960: Georgia On My Mind
    Jim Beam, Regan Orange Bitters, Angostura Bitters,
    Peach Syrup, Luxardo Cherry
    1970: Another Tequila Sunrise
    Tres Agave Blanco, Campari, Lime, Pineapple
    1980: Risky Business
    Gordon Gin, Blood Orange Solerno, Benedictine, Pineapple, Lime, Grenadine, Rhubarb Bitters
    1990: Mr Big Blues
    Wheatly Vodka, Triple Sec, Lemon, White Cranberry, Blueberries
    2000: Millennial Mule
    Jim Beam, Lime, Ginger Beer, Peach Bitters
    2010: Rougarou
    Tres Agave Blanco, Bitterman Grapefruit Syrup, Lime, Sparkling Wine
    2020: Broussard's Smile
    Delacour Brandy, Blood Orange Solerno, Lemon,
    Ginger, Angostura Bitters
    Wine By The Glass

martini-advertivement-design-template-978a7157accc086da6ef2dab365c9a8f_screen.jpg?ts=1568975025

Let me know if you find some, @RichardTheBruce. Seems like it's impossible to find any in Canada, or any able to have shipped to Canada.
    Took a look, @NickTwentyTwo. Kina L'Aero D'Or is distributed here in the States in California, New York, etc.

Not in Virginia where I live, but it's nearby in Washington DC. A mere 13 miles away. So I will search out a bottle.

I'm thinking it's just a matter of time (if I can say that) to be available in Canada.

FAVueLDr2MJos8zzFxOp277y71AiwZtqX0JUn4ncm2Pv885Ch8h8DwL1hlf_S8Y4Bs7n4LL8cYF00mznEKGEFnNqhZNdoc-bfz2KXmu1NgvJcat_E3o
    e2a341_044185112338455590c3895d58e872be.webp

And to close out National Martini Day.

Lost in America, "The Three Martini Lunch", Graham Parker.

79787647_129631338094652_4220819474410353669_n.jpg?_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.cdninstagram.com&_nc_cat=108&_nc_ohc=7qCXHg3nlUgAX84f7Ll&oh=1a0ae660551267d71b0bf28eab72b315&oe=5F271725

Did you get any of the Kina @RichardTheBruce?
    Not yet, @NickTwentyTwo. Just a matter of time, though.
    e671e8df051a7d58e6b18b1e5937a9838320f8e9.png
    If you end up with more than one extra, I might have to arrange shipping from you to me ;) Would love to get my hands on some of this stuff.
    upload.png?content-type=image%2Fpng
    media-141422564987050800.jpg

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
  • Tokoloshe2Tokoloshe2 Northern Ireland
    Not such a waste of a good scotch!

Son sells 28 years of Macallan birthday whisky to buy first home...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-54040307

• JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    I'm thinking of ordering this tequila:

fBhxW02.jpg
    I got me some Serbian beer today.
    Reassurance-JelenStrong.jpg
    lav_lager_beer.jpg

Lav is a Carlsberg product.
    Noice. :-c
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    5oyrhf0a0uan.jpeg

As an Octopussy fan, this was a no brainer when I was at the bottle shop earlier.
    Don’t know about his brother.
    :D Let us know what you think.
    I got myself some of this.
    Tatra+(Poland)+beer+can.png
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    Ah, the Tatra Mountains. On my to-visit list.
    Agent_99 wrote: »

On your bike?
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    Agent_99 wrote: »

On your bike?

Yes - well, as far as there are roads. I'm not an off-road person. Alternatively, maybe on a wolf-watching trip: http://slovakwildlife.org/en/activities/whitewilderness
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Red Stripe comes full circle: a vintage beer bottle seen in Doctor No, and coasters from No Time to Die (you heard it here first, folks):

50385104762_fe3e7e3cbb_o.png

Naturally, Red Stripe advertising is also seen in Live and Let Die, what with Jamaica in the fold.

Anyone here tried Red Stripe beer? What's the verdict?
  • Red Stripe is solid. Goes down smoothly. Nothing unpalatable about it. Though I pretty much only drink it when I make Jamaican Jerk Chicken. I wouldn't say there's anything about it that makes it stand out above any other beer, so I don't think I'd make it my regular, but I'd rather drink Red Stripe than any number of other brands I've tried.
    @Some_Kind_Of_Hero Cheers! Maybe I'll pick up a six pack for my first home viewing of NTTD.
  • edited September 2020 Posts: 6,844
    Sounds like the perfect choice! I'll probably do the same.
    I'd say that's four bottles for Jamaica and two for Cuba, where the coasters are seen.

Ah, screw it - I'm buying a carton.
    Agree with @Some_Kind_Of_Hero; Red Stripe is solid. It's not a standout beer, but being a "Bond beer" makes it a little bit interesting than many other brands.
  • edited January 2021 Posts: 1,469
    I've become a fan of Lillet. Mind you, what I have right now is Lillet Rose--the liquor store didn't have the Blanc at the time, and I know it's a world of difference. I tried the Rose with gin and vermouth, and it wasn't bad, but I'm sure the Blanc would be a better partner for that. What I like is maybe 2 parts gin, 1 part rum and 1 part Lillet Rose on ice, and you can mix in a lemon-lime soda or ginger ale. This combination packs a punch for me. I do need to try a proper Vesper with the Blanc and vodka.

I think I had Lillet Rose for the first time several years ago when I was in Paris, served by my hosts. I was impressed and later looked for it here the U.S., not remembering what it was and thinking it might've been brandy or Armagnac, which introduced me to that type of brandy. But Lillet Rose is very nice on its own. I assume the Blanc is less sweet and more refined. When I picked up the Lillet Rose I also bought some Drillaud Blackcurrant Creme de Cassis. A little in a mixed drink is tasty, but I find it doesn't keep that well.

By the way, if you like rum and want one for sipping (or occasional mixing), I highly recommend Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva. I used to like Ron Abuelo 7 years for sipping, and also had a bottle of Plantation 20th Anniversary, which I remember as being good, but I wager the Diplomatico is far better than either.
    ...and if you want something a little sweeter than a Vesper, I was just on the Lillet website and one of their recipes they call the Reverse Vesper! 3 parts Lillet Blanc, .5 part gin, 1 part vodka. "Stir" over ice and strain into a martini glass. Serve with a lemon twist.
    edited February 2021 Posts: 7,526
    Thrasos wrote: »
    ...and if you want something a little sweeter than a Vesper, I was just on the Lillet website and one of their recipes they call the Reverse Vesper! 3 parts Lillet Blanc, .5 part gin, 1 part vodka. "Stir" over ice and strain into a martini glass. Serve with a lemon twist.

Of course the manufacturers and sellers of Lillet will push a recipe that has tons of Lillet in it :)) But seriously, vermouth-forward martinis are a great idea; they make the drink really a cocktail. Order your next martini one part vermouth and one part nice gin or tequila. Very tasty!

The Vesper recipe with Lillet Blanc is really nothing too special. Try to get your hands on Cocchi Americano or Kina L'Aero D'Or, if you can find it. Orange bitters help a lot too.

The YouTube channel How To Drink did a great video on the Vesper recently (a drink he admits he doesn't like). He made a matrix of cocktails; one with Lillet Blanc, one with Cocchi, and one with the Kina, and then he made each of those shaken and then stirred. I think his favourite was the shaken Cocchi Vesper. But he had a good analysis of the drink. I'll find the link.