Everyday Drinking

Comments

• edited July 2018 Posts: 19,339
    giphy.gif

How the hell did you get that video of me ?!!??!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    barryt007 wrote: »
    giphy.gif

giphy.gif

You don t remember? I bought you that beer.
    giphy.gif

giphy.gif

You don t remember? I bought you that beer.

Aaah yeah...I still think you spiked it or that stool had a wonky leg.
    You are the one who is wonky. It was a light beer.

That's why then ? it wasnt strong enough,my body freaked out and I fell off...!

I bet the same happens if you drink water.

If that happens I go into spasms and need medical treatment.

If that happens I go into spasms and need medical treatment.

011ae5022a1e67099ad39907085606cc--jack-daniels-barrel-jack-daniels-whiskey.jpg
    Perfect..they can preserve me in at as they did with Nelson and the rum after he died,as they sailed back to England !
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.

heineken_bond-1600x720.jpg
    northern-bond-620x413.jpg

Haha, brilliant! Place a bearded Pierce on that bottom picture, and you've got a craft beer loving hipster Bond!
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    Bond went to the icebox and took a pint of Canadian Club Blended Rye and some ice and soda-water and went and sat in the garden and watched the last light flame and die.

I'm trying to assemble a Bondian drinks cabinet but I keep drinking bits of it, so it's very much a work in progress. Latest acquisition:

252159_600.jpg
    I haven't had one of these in a while! Vodka martini with Gorgonzola stuffed olives! Apparently 'gluten free' vodka is a thing now. I bought it, not because I cared, but because it was new and on sale, lol

Wf5ud9a.jpg
    Gorgonzola olives sound fantastic! I've just bought a tin of lemon-stuffed olives, which should be just the thing for a martini. Why choose between lemon and olives when you could have both?
    Regarding your Canadian Club experiment, @Agent_99, I've also searched out some items I wouldn't otherwise.

Ouzo. As an aperitif, Ouzo is an anise-flavored liquor tasting of licorice, reminding of Sambuca or Raki or similar alcohols. The Ouzo I tried was a clear liquid, very strong taste. Good for me, probably even better if I'd bothered to chill it properly.

ouzo.jpg

From Russia With Love, Ian Fleming, 1957.
    Chapter Thirteen - 'B.E.A. Takes You There...
    '

The day outside faded through the colours of a dying dolphin and Mount Hymettus came at them, blue in the dusk. Down over the twinkling sprawl of Athens and then the Viscount was wheeling across the standard concrete air-strip with its drooping windsock and the notices in the strange dancing letters Bond had hardly seen since school.

Bond climbed out of the plane with the handful of pale, silent passengers and walked across to the transit lounge and up to the bar. He ordered a tumbler of Ouzo and drank it down and chased it with a mouthful of ice water. There was a strong bite under the sickly anisette taste and Bond felt the drink light a quick, small fire down his throat and in his stomach. He put down his glass and ordered another.

By the time the loudspeakers called him out again it was dusk and the half moon rode clear and high above the lights of the town. The air was soft with evening and the smell of flowers and there was the steady pulse-beat of the cicadas---zing-a-zing-a-zing---and the distant sound of a man singing. The voice was clear and sad and the song had a note of lament. Near the airport a dog barked excitedly at an unknown human smell. Bond suddenly realized that he had come into the East where the guard-dog howls all night. For some reason the realization sent a pang of pleasure and excitement into his heart.
    Chapter Fifteen - Background to a Spy

Bond climbed the cool stairs to a small anteroom where a waiter, without asking his name, took charge and led him through a maze of small, colourfully tiled, vaulted rooms to where Kerim was sitting at a corner table over the entrance to the bazaar. Kerim greeted him boisterously, waving a glass of milky liquid in which ice tinkled.

`Here you are my friend! Now, at once, some raki. You must be exhausted after your sight-seeing.' He fired orders at the waiter.

Bond sat down in a comfortable-armed chair and took the small tumbler the waiter offered him. He lifted it towards Kerim and tasted it. It was identical with ouzo. He drank it down. At once the waiter refilled his glass.
    ouzo.jpg

Ouzo also comes up in a Roger Moore film. Plus brings other possibilities.
    For Your Eyes Only, John Glen, 1981.
    Greece.
    13dac37f-c798-4df0-b660-4a0a36cd4bd1_screenshot.jpg

Waiter: Aperitif, please?

Bond: Ouzo for me, please.

Kristatos: And a whiskey.

Waiter: And to eat?

Bond: I'll have the prawns, Savoura salad and Bourdetto.

Kristatos: An excellent choice. I'll have the same. May I suggest a white Robola wine from Kefalonia, my home place?

Bond: If you'll forgive me, that's a little too scented for my palate. I prefer the Theotaku Aspero.

rombola-6.jpg

Did you mix it with water, @RichardTheBruce? I'm pretty sure Bond is wrong about drinking it neat and having the water afterwards (Kerim is drinking it properly, because it goes milky when you add water).
    I did not, @Agent_99. Sounds appropriate. As neat I quickly got a taste for it, though, again recalling Sambuca and similar drinks.

240_F_126928014_4iVAK8abFxyNSTuSGv6zc2hPr3gDKR3F.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQg3DGEZPx0cwGn5d0udHSD7nTT6nSzEvjyeHe55VzzARDccFdK

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQg3DGEZPx0cwGn5d0udHSD7nTT6nSzEvjyeHe55VzzARDccFdK

This is great!
    Some follow-up on Ouzo, proving @Agent_99 correct on a couple points.

Though not from Everyday Drinking, still from Kingsley Amis.

Colonel Sun, Robert Markham, 1968.
    Chapter 6 - The Shrine of Athene

...'Are you married?'

Bond smiled. 'No. Sometimes I think I never will be. What will you have?'

'Ouzo and ice,' said the girl, glancing up at the waiter. 'Not that Sans Rival stuff you serve all the time. Have you Boutari?'

'Certainly, madam. And for you, sir?'

'The same. Plenty of ice.'

'You know ouzo?' The girl looked at Bond consideringly. 'You know Greece well?'

'Greece I know a little and and love what I know. Ouzo I know much better: a Greek version of Pernod with a much more sinister smell but similar effects. Love would be too starry-eyed a word to use there.'

'That's a slander. And not accurate. The French took it from us and flavoured it with aniseed and dyed it green. Horrible! My name is Ariadne Alexandrou
    ."
    'Mine is Bond, James Bond. How did you know just now that I spoke English?'

The girl laughed again. 'Most people do. And you look English, Mr. Bond. Nobody could mistake you, not even for an American.'

'As a matter of fact I'm not strictly English at all. Half Scottish, half Swiss.'

'The English have swallowed you, then. What are you doing in Athens? Business or pleasure?'
    Ariadne Alexandrou returned Bond's gaze for a moment without reacting to it, then turned away to observe critically as the two small tumblers of cloudy drink--the cloudiness curling whitely outwards from the ice-cubes like liquid smoke--were set in front of them and as much again of water added. Bond watched her lovely profile, very Greek yet totally unlike the overrated, beaky, 'classical' look one associates with old coins, a carefully-finished sculpture overlaid with the softest tints of tan and white and olive and rose. the effect was set off by earrings in an ancient style, small thick hoops of beaten gold.

'I know the sort of thing you expect me to say now.' The smile turned upward. '"In Greece, when we drink to someone, we say ess iyían, your health, or colloquially yássou." Well, sometimes we do, but half the time it's "cheers" and "here's looking at you" these days.' The smile faded. 'Greece isn't very Greek any more. Every year less. I'm being a little conservative and sentimental just by asking for ouzo. The newest people want vodkatini, or Scotch and soda. Are you free for dinner Mr. Bond? Shall we go somewhere together?'
    318_0.jpgboutari-ouzo-nv-750.png
    I bet Kingsley Amis was subtly correcting Fleming, the old devil.
  • mybudgetbondmybudgetbond The World
    edited September 2018 Posts: 189
    I never had the taste for licorice, so Ouzo never appealed to me. Next time I’m in Greece I must try it again, for Bondian authenticity of course;-)
    I've had Sans Rival,its nice with a splash of water,makes it cloudy,but it has to be chilled.
    Charlie Higson posted a pic of this last night at the launch of the upcoming Fleming/Bond cocktail book. Would love to get my hands on a bottle!

DmR5T7yXsAYzW3G?format=jpg&name=large
    That's definitely one for my collection of Interesting Gin Bottles (it's a laugh riot round my place, yes).
    Oh I’m going to literally be buying it for the bottle!

I mean I’ll be drinking it too, but how could I not buy an Ian Fleming gin?!
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 17,297
    Oh I’m going to literally be buying it for the bottle!

I mean I’ll be drinking it too, but how could I not buy an Ian Fleming gin?!

What would the cost of a bottle like this be?
    It will probably be marketed as a luxury item. So maybe £50?
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 17,297
    It will probably be marketed as a luxury item. So maybe £50?
    giphy.gif
    I'd buy a bottle for that price!