Skyfall's running time

Comments

I want 130 to 137 minutes to fill out the meat of the story and have a mix of long and quick action piece, big set pieces mixed with creeping around corners spying bits and a crowded village market chase scene....
    More info on the length...

How long was the first cut of Skyfall?

BROCCOLI: There’s not much of a difference. What happens is that, because we shoot for a very long period of time, we have the legendary Stuart Baird cutting the movie, and he cuts alongside [the production]. By the time we finish shooting, there’s an assembly. It’s deliberately a little long and a little loose because you want to have the opportunity to fine tune it. So, Stuart had a great assembly, and he and (director) Sam [Mendes] worked on it for a couple of weeks, and then presented it to us. It was probably only about 8 to 10 minutes longer than the cut is now.

And do you have a final running time on it now?

BROCCOLI: I think it’s 2 hours and 21 minutes, or something around there.

So, you don’t have too many deleted scenes, then?

BROCCOLI: No, we don’t. Very little was deleted.

http://collider.com/barbara-broccoli-james-bond-documentary-interview/200558/
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    As long as it hold my attention then this is fine with me and I don't think Skyfall is going to be boring.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    In Sweden the length has increased from 2 hours and 22 minutes to 2 hours and 23 minutes.
    MrBond wrote:
    In Sweden the length has increased from 2 hours and 22 minutes to 2 hours and 23 minutes.

Yes, 143 minutes seem to be the final running time.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 15
    This site gives the runtime at 145. It seems pretty consistent the film is going to run somewhere between 2 hours and 20 minutes and 2 hours and 30 minutes. That and the Broccoli exchange above should solidify the runtime estimation.
    http://collider.com/james-bond-skyfall-featurette/194052/
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 418
    I'm hoping it will be around 2.15 mins. I like Bond movies to feel epic, and i want to get the feeling that i've been on a long journey, adventure. QoS was much too short, and even before i got to see the film, i had a sunken feeling when i found out its running time. I like it when characters that you know are going to be in the film, take a while before you get to see them, a build up to it..
    I would be happy with anything over 2 hours to be honest. The 104-minute QOS was dreadfully short really...
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    2 hours and 25 minutes (or slightly around there) sounds perfect to me.
  • MartinBondMartinBond Trying not to muck it up again
    I think it all comes down to the pace. Watching Dr. no I always felt a bit bored towards the end, while On Her Majesty's Secret Service went past the 2 hour mark without me noticing. If the trailers and interviews are anything to go by, Skyfall will keep us intrigued for every second
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 5,767
    MartinBond wrote:
    I think it all comes down to the pace.
    Exactly.
    bondsum wrote:
    So, you don’t have too many deleted scenes, then?

BROCCOLI: No, we don’t. Very little was deleted.

http://collider.com/barbara-broccoli-james-bond-documentary-interview/200558/
    I hate this deleted scenes bs. I´m absolutely on Scorsese´s side, when he said that the film is what is shown on the screen, not any deleted scenes.
    Having said that, I just ordered the director´s cut of Last of the Mohicans. :\">
  • I hope they didn't cut the scene with
    M and Tanner going through security at Mallory's office, I thought it was quite funny in the script.
    For some reason I feel like they probably did.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited October 2012 Posts: 23,539
    Agreed. Deleted scenes aren't needed unless after decades of having built tremendous success and pleasing generations of fans one inserts previously deleted scenes as a means to satisfy fans' curiosity rather than to actually make the film better. IMO Aliens and T2 benefited from the deleted scenes being re-inserted only because I got slightly different films than the ones I'd already known for so long. That said, films like Léon, ID4, Episode I and many more were everything but improved via deleted scenes re-inserted IMO.
    What's even worse is how some films deliberately shoot multiple endings and scenes intended to be deleted, so the DVD/BR releases can shout it out that their version is 'uncut' or 'the director's cut' or 'the version you've never seen'...
    I hope they didn't cut the scene with
    M and Tanner going through security at Mallory's office, I thought it was quite funny in the script.
    As long as it has a meaning for the film.
    Having scenes in a film just because they are cool, even if the film as a whole doesn´t gel, is more Tarantino´s metier, not Bond´s.

• boldfinger wrote:
    I hope they didn't cut the scene with
    As long as it has a meaning for the film.
    Having scenes in a film just because they are cool, even if the film as a whole doesn´t gel, is more Tarantino´s metier, not Bond´s.

Well it's more of a comic relief thing, and I think it does a good job of
    Expressing M's frustrations over having to meet with Mallory, as she describes it like "Being summoned to the headmaster's office"
  • Im really hoping they dont cut the scenes with Bond on his own. For instance the moment when he runs through London alone, swims in Shanghai, the shooting gallery and the interrogation sequence. But I have feeling these scenes have been removed. The tracklistings don't seem to allude to such sequences, it seems Bond comes back to London and is straight into China.
  • Im really hoping they dont cut the scenes with Bond on his own. For instance the moment when he runs through London alone, swims in Shanghai, the shooting gallery and the interrogation sequence. But I have feeling these scenes have been removed. The tracklistings don't seem to allude to such sequences, it seems Bond comes back to London and is straight into China.
    I certainly hope not, I think those scenes are actually very important. But as for the track listings, there's usually missing cues, or those scenes may not be scored. Also in some of Newman's other scores he's used a track in more than one scene.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 3,333
    boldfinger wrote:
    I´m absolutely on Scorsese's side, when he said that the film is what is shown on the screen, not any deleted scenes.
    Having said that, I just ordered the director's cut of Last of the Mohicans. :\">
    Didn't know there was an expanded version of Last of the Mohicans until you mentioned it. I wonder how much longer the new version will be? Hopefully it'll be the 3 hr version that Mann was forced to cut by the studios.

I don't mind expanded versions so long as the additional scenes add something that was needed to the movie. I hate these so-called Director Cuts that actually end up shorter or with only 4 added minutes. Though I think there's plenty of circumstances where an expanded version is justified, such as Once Upon a Time in America which was butchered to get more cinema showings squeezed into a single day, or Kingdom of Heaven which benefited from the longer version. I still hope to see an Expanded version of Prometheus some day.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    Im really hoping they dont cut the scenes with Bond on his own. For instance the moment when he runs through London alone, swims in Shanghai, the shooting gallery and the interrogation sequence. But I have feeling these scenes have been removed. The tracklistings don't seem to allude to such sequences, it seems Bond comes back to London and is straight into China.

That would be very stupid if it happenend. Just because the trailers has putted such a empahtize on just those sequences. But it will be interesting to see how those scenes are going to be!
    I'm checking the BBFC website multiple times every day hoping to see Skyfall classified and the running time confirmed. The classification should be up any day now!
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    I thought the running time at 143 minutes were confirmed? :-?
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I'm checking the BBFC website multiple times every day hoping to see Skyfall classified and the running time confirmed. The classification should be up any day now!

It should be done by this Friday at the latest, so any day now. I'm eager to see what the BBFC have to say.
    MrBond wrote:

Yes, 143 minutes seem to be the final running time.

To me 143 minutes always sounds longer than 2 hr 23! Doh, must stop taking these stupid pills!

• HerrBondHerrBond Berlin
    JamesBond.de also confirmed 143 minutes as the final running time of SF.
  • Didnt they also say the other week that the swimming scenes had been cut?
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    The cinema where I'm watching it states 140' but in my experience they always round up the time so 143' seems quite plausible.
  • HerrBondHerrBond Berlin
    the information about the running time comes directly from sony pictures, the news that the swimming scenes had been cut came from a german magazine, so that isn't officially confirmed, of course.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    HerrBond wrote:
    the information about the running time comes directly from sony pictures, the news that the swimming scenes had been cut came from a german magazine, so that isn't officially confirmed, of course.

I would doubt the swimming scenes were cut, there is just too much buzz around them but we never know!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    The running time for SF pleases me. Anything from 130 minutes onwards means we're probably getting something for our money. Sure sure, there's quality and there's quantity and quality is what matters, but at least 130 minutes allows a film to develop story and characters and have some big action sequences in between. It can allow a film to breathe if it so chooses. Of course at this point I can't predict the film will be magical based on the running time alone, but at least there's a real possibility it will be. Bond films should have ambitions which require, if for nothing else at least for practical reasons, a two hour canvas minimum. I hate to sound like a broken record but here's where QoS instilled genuine (as it would turn out) fear in me: at a little over 90 minutes, it could never have delivered the full package of a great Bond film. It had to reduce certain elements to near zero in order to get things squeezed in and truth be told, it did. Character development, camera work / editing and story development all suffered, IMO, from the simple fact that it had to be over with in barely an hour and a half.
This discussion has been closed.