Which countries have produced the best Bond girls?

Comments

• DiscoVolanteDiscoVolante Stockholm, Sweden
    The French lovelies are probably my favourites too.

Sweden second for Iza, Maud Adams and Kristina Wayborn.

Getafix wrote:
    They've all been busy the past decade at Il Duce's bunga bunga parties.

Hahaha. That was good!
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 2,341
    I'm gonna have to go with
    France (Auger, Dufour, Eva Green)
    Italy (Paluzzi, (nuff said) Bianchi)
    Sweden (Britt Eklund, Maud Adams, Kristina Wayborne)
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    edited January 2012 Posts: 2,629
    1, France
    2. England
    3. Italy
    4. Sweden
    5. USA

My honorable mention is Switzerland with Ursula Andress and the Swiss Gatekeeper.
    Getafix wrote:
    What about dual nationalities or those who moved around a bit. Is Grace Jones Jamaican or American?

The topic is countries whom have produced the Best Bond Girls, not the Country who has produced the Best Bond Men playing a woman's role.
    I'm going with Italy here. Paluzzi and Bianchi make a great team ;)

And as many others have stated: American Bond girls have been pretty abysmal.
    If I could have thought of another Bond woman from Switzerland, Netherlands, Poland or even Japan, they would have gone ahead of the US. The US made my list mostly because of quantity and not quality.
  • We can't be proud for being held responsible for bringing such atrocities as Chiles, Richards and Berry to the series, and you too Ms Ciccone, shame on all of you for your 'contributions' to the world of James Bond. If I think now about my all time favorite Bond girls, good or bad, I would instantly go with Seymour (UK), Paluzzi (ITA), Bach (USA) and of course Andress (SWI), so there's a healthy variety of global Bond lovelies, good bond girls are good bond girls wherever you find them
    1. Italy - Bianchi, Paluzzi, Murino
    2. France - Auger, Marlohe
    3. England - Seymour, Beswick, Gayson
    4. Switzerland - Andress
    I thought that Ursula was Austrian. Anyway American were pretty lame: Hatcher, Richards, Roberts, Chiles, girl that played Bibi in FYEO, Grace Jones, Berry, St John to name a few. USA was pretty low point for Bond women.
    Oh, BTW,n Getafix, Tracy was italian by marriage only. Her ancestry is English (by her mother) and french (by her father).
    Steven wrote:
    Where is Barbara Bach from? - that has the possibilty to sway me away from picking France as my top.
    The United States of America.

Barbara is a very honourable exception to the general rule that American Bond girls are awful. I think it helps that she's playing a Ruskie tho'.

The French lassies do come across as real women, however Lana Wood not unlike her sister did impress me. (Gave me wood too :\"> )
  • *in italian accent*

mama mia, italiano hasa da besta bonda senoritas. They are, as you say in the english, perfecto :)

yep, italy are the best for bond girls by a mile
  • I've got to say:
    1.Italy
    2.England
    3.France

The American Bond girls have been generally terrible, although I do like Anya and Pam. (I'm American, but of French and Italian descent, so that makes me a little less embarassed.)
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited January 2012 Posts: 5,958
    Gerard wrote:
    Oh, BTW,n Getafix, Tracy was italian by marriage only. Her ancestry is English (by her mother) and french (by her father).

Yes, an Italian playing French, and never the other way 'round.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    echo wrote:
    Gerard wrote:

Yes, an Italian playing French, as opposed to a Frenchman playing Italian (CR, QoS).

Yeah, I don't see why CR and QoS didn't stick to Mathis as the French spy he was meant to be...so confounding...
    You know, despite my best instincts, I'm coming round to the English point of view. I have a soft spot for Maryam d'Abo, even though she's a bit wet and pathetic. And then there's the whole female cast of Goldfinger, who are fantastic. Add in Jane Seymour, Diana Rigg, and Eva Green (she's part English, I reckon) and the home country wins hands down.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Getafix wrote:
    You know, despite my best instincts, I'm coming round to the English point of view. I have a soft spot for Maryam d'Abo, even though she's a bit wet and pathetic. And then there's the whole female cast of Goldfinger, who are fantastic. Add in Jane Seymour, Diana Rigg, and Eva Green (she's part English, I reckon) and the home country wins hands down.
    Eva is French. Part English is just part.
    But the most important part in her is English.

Or Swiss/Scot to be precise...
    Getafix wrote:

I sort of agree with you but tend to think its La Belle France which has the best.

England is definitely a contender. The ones you have mentioned are strong contenders but it is often the bit parts filled by nice little actresses ie Eunice Gayson, Angela Scoular, Madeleine Smith, Carmen de Sautoy, Caroline Munro, Emily Bolton, Fiona Fullerton etc which work for me. They play them with such charm and humour they steal the show.

So, yes, England might win on numbers.
    I'm not sure whether Cassandra Harris was that great an actress but she was LIKEABLE. That's ultimately what matters.
  • I'd like to see Penelope Cruz in Bond some day, put Spain on the map etc, I think she could work in that capacity, same as with Samantha Mumba (Eire), I think a part as Bond girls could well work if they were given the chance
    I love Penelope, but she's too big a star now - we'd get Halle Berry syndrome if the Cruz appeared in Bond. If we're talking about keeping the Spanish end up, my money is on Paz Vega.
    At least Penelope has an exotic, Bond-esque quality about her unlike Ms Berry.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I wouldn't like Penelope Cruz in a Bond film, at least not as the leading girl. I feel that she would come off as another Caterina Murino a little too soon since CR.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited January 2012 Posts: 15,690
    From which country does the machine-gun totting grandma in GF come from ?
    Agreed. I was thinking she was thinking Cruz looks quite a bit like her. Maybe in a couple of films time eh? ;)
    Call me a madman, but for years I was convinced that mariella frostrup would make an excellent Bond girl. Arguably a poor man's Honor Blackman, but I still think in her day she had it in her...
  • Getafix wrote:
    Call me a madman, but for years I was convinced that mariella frostrup would make an excellent Bond girl. Arguably a poor man's Honor Blackman, but I still think in her day she had it in her...