Which countries have produced the best Bond girls?

edited January 2012 in Actors Posts: 11,425
We know Bond has eclectic tastes in women, but I was wondering if over time he has demonstrated a preference for any particular nationality? I'm figuring that simply by virtue of their being close at hand, Bond must have struck up a healthy tally of Brits. For instance in Goldfinger all the girls are British and then in OHMSS he even marries one - or should Tracy be counted as Italian. Speaking of which, should Daniela Bianchi count as Russian or Italian? Very confusing.

Comments

• PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    I would say Italia for Luciana Paluzzi, Caterina Murino, Maria Grazia Cucinotta, Daniela Bianchi, etc., but especially Paluzzi.
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 11,425
    They would have had an even more impressive tally if MGM had allowed EON to cast Monica Belluci in the Teri Hatcher role in TND. Would have been great if they'd cast her.
    Has to be France.

Claudine Auger
    Eva Green
    Carole Bouquet
    Corinne Clery
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Sweden. Maud Adams, Izabella Scorupco, Kristina Wayborn, Britt Ekland.
    Someone else was claiming Scorupco for Poland...
  • echo wrote:

Good choice! :D Although I think Italy has better Bond girls.
    actonsteve wrote:
    Has to be France.

Claudine Auger
    Eva Green
    Carole Bouquet
    Corinne Clery

Not convinced this is an entirely stelar list, although Eva and Carole stand out.
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 5,808
    You forgot Sophie Marceau for France.

BTW, if we're talking actresses, then the actress's nationality must take precedence over the character's nationality.
    Gerard wrote:
    You forgot Sophie Marceau for France.

BTW, if we're talking actresses, then the actress's nationality must take precedence over the character's nationality.

Agreed.

And I forgot about Sophie....but from what I hear she tries to forget about Bond.

What about dual nationalities or those who moved around a bit. Is Grace Jones Jamaican or American?
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    The French for me: Claudine, Eva, Sophie, Bérénice (?), Corinne, Carole.

But I like the British as well, mostly because of Jane Seymour.
    Getafix wrote:
    What about dual nationalities or those who moved around a bit. Is Grace Jones Jamaican or American?

American I'd say..

Funny how no one has mentioned the American Bond actresses/girls.
    France for all including Sophie, but excluding Eva Green. Italy would take second place. Sweden in third.

Americans have unfortunately provided the biggest dimwits of the series: Plenty, Rosie, Stacie, Christmas, Jinx...
    Yes, I think we can all agree the American girls have been pretty much universally awful. Teri bloody Hatcher for god's sake. It's so depressing when you know some idiot money man has foisted these deadweights on the production because they'll supposedly make the film a hit back in the states. Plonking Carry Lowell in LTK was a big mistake and didn't help bring in the punters.

The whole point of Bond is that when he's not flying the flag for Britain, he goes for something a little bit exotic. Ideally continental European.

I mean, Christmas Jones and Jinx - the absolute pits.
    JBFan626 wrote:
    France for all including Sophie, but excluding Eva Green. Italy would take second place. Sweden in third.

Americans have unfortunately provided the biggest dimwits of the series: Plenty, Rosie, Stacie, Christmas, Jinx...

I pretty much agree. I do have a soft spot for Jill St John, Lois Chiles and Carey Lowell though.

Probably the best American Bond girls.

actonsteve wrote:
    Has to be France.

Claudine Auger
    Eva Green
    Carole Bouquet
    Corinne Clery

Agreed, domino definitely my favourite bond girl.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I'll agree with that and also say France.
    Vive la France!
    Getafix wrote:
    Vive la France!

There does seem to be something about French actresses that suit Bond. That je'ne se quoi...even when they are playing Greeks with a French accent.

It all bodes well for Berenice I suppose, although she's not my type.

Sorry love.
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 1,817
    Italy! It's a pity that there aren't more Italian Bond girls.
    They've all been busy the past decade at Il Duce's bunga bunga parties.
    Getafix wrote:

Sorry love.

Oh you met her?

:D
    Getafix wrote:
    They would have had an even more impressive tally if MGM had allowed EON to cast Monica Belluci in the Teri Hatcher role in TND. Would have been great if they'd cast her.

I'm one of the few who likes the novelty of Bond and Superman sharing the same girlfriend. Either way, we still would've had to sacrifice her for Wai Lin.
    echo wrote:

Sweden does get an honorable mention from me.
    actonsteve wrote:
    I do have a soft spot for Jill St John, Lois Chiles and Carey Lowell though.

Probably the best American Bond girls.

Jill, Lois and Teri are my 3 faves of that bunch. I think the others suffer from poorly written characters(more the fault of the scriptwriters rather than the actresses themselves IMHO).

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited January 2012 Posts: 28,694
    SaintMark wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

Sorry love.

Oh you met her?

:D

Not met. But STOLE HER FROM ME!
    echo wrote:
    Sorry to say, but Izabella was born in Poland. Then she moved to Sweden.

Already with just Eva( :\"> ) and Claudine alone France takes it!
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 1,492
    [I think the others suffer from poorly written characters(more the fault of the scriptwriters rather than the actresses themselves IMHO).

ummm...there were a couple of actresses employed because they were a "Hollywood name" rather then the best actress. A good actress can do something with a weak/small part ie Angela Scoular or Cassandra Harris or even Fiona Fullerton.

Where is Barbara Bach from? - that has the possibilty to sway me away from picking France as my top.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Steven wrote:
    Where is Barbara Bach from? - that has the possibilty to sway me away from picking France as my top.
    The United States of America.

Steven wrote:
    The United States of America.

Thanks @0Brady. Think it has to be France for me then. As good as Bab's is, there's just too many others which were awful.
    actonsteve wrote:
    [I think the others suffer from poorly written characters(more the fault of the scriptwriters rather than the actresses themselves IMHO).

ummm...there were a couple of actresses employed because they were a "Hollywood name" rather then the best actress. A good actress can do something with a weak/small part ie Angela Scoular or Cassandra Harris or even Fiona Fullerton.

I consider Ruby Bartlett, Countess Lisl and Pola Ivanova better written characters than most of the American Bond girl characters.