Action Sequence For Daniel Craig's Bond! Ski? or Underwater?

edited January 2012 in General Discussion Posts: 12,506
Obviously one of the things about the Bond series are the action sequences! We all discuss them with great enthusiasm and a desire for more.

Before Daniel Craig retires from the role? I would love to see him involved in atleast the two above if they can be worked into a future script ofcourse?

My favourite water action sequence would ofcourse be Thunderball!
My favourite Ski action would be For Your Eyes Only!

What do you think and what are your favourites?

Comments

I want skiing. I want snow in Bond films. Although thinking of Craig on skis isn't exactly a serious image.
    Yea, would be good to see both of these - i'd like to see if they could come up with something original as well - not that I have any suggestions i'm afraid.

Regarding my favourites - I always loved the underwater scene in LTK mainly for the bondian escape (I grew up with this scene sticking out as something really cool that bond did). Favourite ski scene has to be the OHMSS chase when he's on one ski.

Going slightly off topic (sorry) i'd love for them to come up with something totally outrageous and unthinkable and then actually do it for real - the best example i can give of this is the car barrel roll in TMWTGG the had mathematicians and all sorts working on that stunt.
    Steven wrote:
    Yea, would be good to see both of these - i'd like to see if they could come up with something original as well - not that I have any suggestions i'm afraid.

Regarding my favourites - I always loved the underwater scene in LTK mainly for the bondian escape (I grew up with this scene sticking out as something really cool that bond did). Favourite ski scene has to be the OHMSS chase when he's on one ski.

Going slightly off topic (sorry) i'd love for them to come up with something totally outrageous and unthinkable and then actually do it for real - the best example i can give of this is the car barrel roll in TMWTGG the had mathematicians and all sorts working on that stunt.

As long as it does not involve silly sound effects, icebergs and surfing! ;) lol
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 660
    Yes it would be nice to see Bond ski......
    RogueAgent wrote:
    As long as it does not involve silly sound effects, icebergs and surfing! ;) lol

Lol - well those things were original, just not in a good way.
  • I didn't take too much to the Thunderball underwater scenes on an otherwise fine and entertaining Connery adventure. Sometimes it was hard to distinguish who was fighting who and it was all squirts of water and thrashing around and it went on far too long, I don't own a copy of this here Bond release but if I did I would surely fast forward through the underwater bits towards the end, it just goes on and on and Connery goes back into Goldfinger territory in terms of mundane dullness. Would Craig work better from a 2012 perspective?, I think it could be an improvement but have to say I wouldn't mind too much if they left such a thing out, I prefer my Bond on land doing his business and so not much below the waves activities

Don't know why but I just can't envisage Craig doing any ski-ing bits, it worked for Lazenby to a fine success and Roger Moore's stunt double did some fancy twists and turns and even Brosnan was fun to watch in The World is not Enough but not sure what to expect if Craig gets involved, just doesn't seem to me as a sort of 'Ski type Bond'

Roller Coaster fight!

I've outlined it on another thread, exactly like this one.. so be watchful of the Mods attacking.

But essentially Bond and a baddy fall onto a coaster and attempt to fight as it goes around the track.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Roller Coaster fight!

I've outlined it on another thread, exactly like this one.. so be watchful of the Mods attacking.

But essentially Bond and a baddy fall onto a coaster and attempt to fight as it goes around the track.

1... where would they fall from onto the coaster - from a height that wouldn't kill them?

2.... the space on a coaster for this to take place in minimal, and unless they are strapped in and slapping eachother like little girls, the sharp turns and dips would certainly send both Bond and the baddy flying off the coaster, killing them both.

interesting concept - but i find this about as realistic as CGI windsurfing on a CGI tsunami.

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    It will be one or the other I think. I'd rather underwater. The problem with skiing is, it's been done so many times before and done well. What could be added? Whereas the underwater scenes haven't been good since Thunderball...yeah, get to work on that if anything.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Obviously one of the things about the Bond series are the action sequences! We all discuss them with great enthusiasm and a desire for more.

Before Daniel Craig retires from the role? I would love to see him involved in atleast the two above if they can be worked into a future script ofcourse?

They probably will be. I see Craig as more an underwater Bond than a snow Bond.
    RogueAgent wrote:
    My favourite water action sequence would ofcourse be Thunderball!
    My favourite Ski action would be For Your Eyes Only!

What do you think and what are your favourites?

Ditto on TB. As for Ski action, Escape from Piz Gloria in OHMSS and cello ski chase in TLD.

A foot chase is what DC needs!
  • JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Roller Coaster fight!

I'm still with you on this one. It would be one of the best fights in the series.
  • Zekidk wrote:
    A foot chase is what DC needs!

A foot chase that leads to a fight on a rollercoaster, then into a motorbike chase.
    I want to see Sharks or some other deadly predator kept as a pet by chief villain!
    HASEROT wrote:
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Roller Coaster fight!

1... where would they fall from onto the coaster - from a height that wouldn't kill them?

2.... the space on a coaster for this to take place in minimal, and unless they are strapped in and slapping eachother like little girls, the sharp turns and dips would certainly send both Bond and the baddy flying off the coaster, killing them both.

interesting concept - but i find this about as realistic as CGI windsurfing on a CGI tsunami.

Let me do some digging. It was quite the essay the first time I brought it up.. I'll just cut/paste. But yes, there was a point where CraigBond falls off in a loop and lands back down as the coaster completes the loop...
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    @ thelivingroyale

I love the idea of Bond and a baddie on a coaster not strapped in. I think it would make for a very intense action scene, but I could only see Craig's Bond doing it. Thus, I'm not sure it would fit into a Bond movie. But the way I imagine the scene isn't how you do.

To nitpick, parachutes can't open anywhere near that low successfully.

The way my scene pans out goes like this:

Its 6 am. Bond is tailing a baddie and eventually arrives at a not-so-fancy hotel next to a theme park (right next to, actually). Bond bursts into the baddies room, and they tussle. The guy runs out onto the balcony and flies over the railing. He lands on top of a maintenance building for the hotel, scales across the roof, and hops the hedged fence separating the hotel grounds from theme park. He makes his way onto a service walkway for one of the bigger rides at the park, with Bond closely tailing. Currently, the theme park is running its daily tests before the park officially opens, so the rides are going without anybody on board. As they edge the coaster track, Bond tackles the guy and he slides to the edge, hanging over the tracks. Bond runs over to finish the guy off, but the guy pulls Bond down, just as the coaster leaves the docking station. They slam into a row of seats, and throw some Craig like fight moves around while the ride slowly climbs the first advance. Bond squeezes his hands tightly around the mans neck just as they reach the top of the crest, and the ride plummets, reaching speeds of up to 60 mph. Bond and the baddie fly backwards, rolling over rows and slam down at the bottom of the hill. Bond fly's off on a sharp curve and barely catches himself, dangling off the speeding ride. The baddie climbs towards him, but the coaster goes through a loop and Bond slams belly down back on top of the ride as the baddie nearly loses his grip. They clash again, then suddenly go through a second loop. This time the baddie flies off, and Bond just barely grips, but as the coaster completes the loop the baddie slams farther down the carts. As Bond advances yet again, the coaster starts to climb yet another steep incline, slowing down. Just as Bond gets close enough to the guy, he slams him in the jaw and the ride lurches down the steep decline. By now, the operator has scene the intense situation, and pulls the emergency stop while the ride is still 200 feet up. The baddie rolls to the very front of the coaster, and catches his grip, his feet dangling towards death. Bond and the baddie climb towards each other, Bond from the back and the baddie from the front, and start duking it out again. After a tense fight scene, Bond snaps the guys arm, and kicks him, causing him to fall (the coaster is still on an incline) down a few rows. The baddie gets back up with his gun, which fell out a few whirls ago, but coincidentally is in the row he landed in, and Bond pulls his piece, which he has now just found as well, twists around and BOOM, gun barrel, theme titles.

Thoughts? And thanks if you actually read through it all :) I can only imagine Craig's Bond doing this..
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 940
    Wow, intense! For some reason, it reminds me a little of the QOS scene with Mitchel! Both characters taken up high and then on big drops, whilst being essentially powerless to their situation, until the eventual "twist and boom" from Bond at the end.

As for this thread, I remember Craig in an interview once saying he can't ski and would hate the idea of it, so it may be hard to get him on the slopes (though I think it would be great).

And as for my favourites in the series, underwater would be TB and ski would have to be OHMSS.
    Both would be awesome! I love the ski and underwater sequences. They feel very thrilling and exotic for some reason.

Favorite Underwater: Thunderball climax, SPECTRE vs. US Coast Guard

Favorite Ski: For Your Eyes Only- Bond being shot at and chased by Erich Kriegler
  • You know what I'd like, there was a bit in Bird On A Wire where Mel Gibson fights some bad sorts in this indoor exotic animal park and his character gets to fight off bad guys amid lions, tigers and piranha fish, anyone who's seen the movie needs no explanation

That could be quite neat, Craig in a similar environment and fighting away amid all kinds of wild animals and fierce creatures, Bond and nemesis have a battle over a piranha pool or inside a lions cage before the animals wake up, that would be great. Bon Appetit

fish.jpg

slyfox wrote:
    Wow, intense! For some reason, it reminds me a little of the QOS scene with Mitchel! Both characters taken up high and then on big drops, whilst being essentially powerless to their situation, until the eventual "twist and boom" from Bond at the end.

As for this thread, I remember Craig in an interview once saying he can't ski and would hate the idea of it, so it may be hard to get him on the slopes (though I think it would be great).

And as for my favourites in the series, underwater would be TB and ski would have to be OHMSS.

Thanks! It does indeed remind me of the Mitchell chase. I believe in that thread Shadowinthesun had said he didn't want Bond in a theme park, so I proved otherwise :P
    I'd love to see Craig do a ski chase, similar to the one seen in OHMSS.
  • I like the roller-coaster fight idea provided that it was done without cheesy effects or CGI. I think it would have huge potential for excitement.

I'll be damned if Craig goes through another construction site.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited January 2012 Posts: 12,459
    Skiing - yes, please! And I can picture Craig skiing. But maybe really rugged mountain climbing scene first (poor DC, he is being put thru the grinder physically since coming on board)

Underwater - limited appeal to me. But I like the trunks ... ;)
    (yeah, remember I'm a gal ...)
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 2,341
    A roller coaster ride would be nice and new. Like to see him on one and duking it out with Jarvier Bardem. It would be reminscent of the bobsleigh fight in OHMSS...Just don't know how they would set it up.
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    A roller coaster ride would be nice and new. Like to see him on one and duking it out with Jarvier Bardem. It would be reminscent of the bobsleigh fight in OHMSS...Just don't know how they would set it up.

Man, there's an idea! I'd love to see this happen. It'd be brutal, fast-paced, and extremely dangerous! All they need is a bomb in the last seat. Hahaha, just kidding. It's been done too many times.
  • They could save on the budget and go off to Alton Towers UK and film it there, went years back but I understand it's all different now, I feel having a theme park bit with Bond and Villains a bit questionable with rollercoasters and all but somewhere deep inside this does get a vote of approval, bad guy gets hit by said rollercoaster as in the original 1977 Rollercoaster movie for those who've seen it, sounds a bit far fetched maybe, but it was work thinking about.

Bond gets the job done and goes off with Moneypenny to play hook a duck and win a Vokda Martini lol
    I didn't take too much to the Thunderball underwater scenes on an otherwise fine and entertaining Connery adventure. Sometimes it was hard to distinguish who was fighting who and it was all squirts of water and thrashing around and it went on far too long, I don't own a copy of this here Bond release but if I did I would surely fast forward through the underwater bits towards the end, it just goes on and on and Connery goes back into Goldfinger territory in terms of mundane dullness. Would Craig work better from a 2012 perspective?, I think it could be an improvement but have to say I wouldn't mind too much if they left such a thing out, I prefer my Bond on land doing his business and so not much below the waves activities

Don't know why but I just can't envisage Craig doing any ski-ing bits, it worked for Lazenby to a fine success and Roger Moore's stunt double did some fancy twists and turns and even Brosnan was fun to watch in The World is not Enough but not sure what to expect if Craig gets involved, just doesn't seem to me as a sort of 'Ski type Bond'

Can't believe any one cannot enjoy the underwater battle in Thunderball - certainly the best and most memorable part of an otherwise slightly dull film. It has a fantastic score as well.

Generally I'm in favour of them bringing back some classic activities - such as underwater reconassaince and skiing. I don't think they need to come up with something entirely novel each time. Just a well-choereographed and dramatic ski chase would be good. It's noticeable that the more frenetic and explosion-heavy the chases and fights get, the less dramatic and tense they often are. A simple Bond versus black-clad henchmen scenario is often much more enjoyable. I hope Mendes, with his apparent fanboy love of the films - picks up on some of these more low-tech and less flashy elements of the franchise.
  • The rollercoaster idea reminds me a bit of the intense carousel fight in Strangers on a Train. And we haven't seen a carnival scene since TLD (if I remember correctly). Definitely would be a fun setting for Craig. :)
    The earlier Bonds often used scenes of public celebration/entertainment as settings for a tense chase. The tension arose from the fact that devilish plots were emerging in the midsts of innocent merriment, and only our hero had the wherewithal to prevent catastrophe/mass murder. I think QoS attempted to capture a little of this with the chase amidst the horese racing in Sienna and the scene at the opera.
    00Beast wrote:
    OHMSS69 wrote:

Man, there's an idea! I'd love to see this happen. It'd be brutal, fast-paced, and extremely dangerous! All they need is a bomb in the last seat. Hahaha, just kidding. It's been done too many times.

Did you look at my VERY SPECIFIC outline above? Sounds like you missed it :/