Was Tim Dalton ahead of his time?

edited January 2012 in Actors Posts: 56
I went to the screening of TLD on the south bank a couple of years back - and asked John Glen about how he thought Dalton's approach had influenced Craig - he said he thought Tim was "ahead of his time"

What do u guys think?

Comments

• edited January 2012 Posts: 1,778
    Absolutly true. What is working so well now didn't work back in the late 80s. Dalton was ahead of the curve in many ways and should be given far more credit than he recieves.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    i dont know if he was ahead of his time, but it was obvious that the fans weren't ready for an actor of his caliber to redefine the role the way he did.
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 11,189
    I suspect it was also due to the fact he came after Roger Moore. Audiences just didn't want a more serious, harder edge potrayal after the (mainly) fun antics of Sir Rog.
    i agree that he was ahead of his time. When i watch how DC performs as 007! I always have occasional flashbacks of how TD took on the role.

It's just a case of timing sadly as i did enjoy TD's tenure as Bond
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Oh I think they did BAIN, and Timbo wasn't ahead of his time just because he played it straight. He failed to set the world alight simply because he never was nor is a great leading film actor.
    But I remember lots of old-school fans yearning for a comeback of the good old days of Connery. I'd say TLD sat well enough with fans and the casual moviegoer. What was ahead of its time was the very serious tone and hard edge of LTK. That came twenty years early. I'd say a third Dalton could have found a balance again IMO, could have given later entries a better focus.
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Very true, he was miles ahead of his time and after the more light hearted fun moore films (which I still like just not as much as daltons films), people just weren't ready for a darker james bond. Which is a shame, because I would've loved to see dalton do more. I like craig, but it makes me a little sad when I see how successful CR was because it was darker and more hard edged, while everybody seems to forget dalton.

Dalton is the best bond ever.
    HASEROT wrote:
    i dont know if he was ahead of his time, but it was obvious that the fans weren't ready for an actor of his caliber to redefine the role the way he did.

Speak for yourself.

This fan thought he was a breath of fresh air.

After he went, the films went backwards. For a time.
    Like I said @NicNac, I was too young to remember Dalton during his actual run.

LTK was a step in the wrong direction. Its a decent thriller but a misguided attempt to exploit Bond's vengeful side. I suspect its luke-warm reception contributed to the fairly muted response Dalton had.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Yes he was ahead of his time. After 12 years of Moore, Dalton brought some dignity back to the films, which sadly didn't last long, as the series quickly went back downhill with Brosnan. And to this day, it still hasn't really recovered.

LTK is pure Bond, just not in the way we would expect.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited January 2012 Posts: 15,692
    actonsteve wrote:
    HASEROT wrote:

Speak for yourself.

Well TLD and LTK are 2 of the 3 least grossing and least attended films in the franchise.

• edited January 2012 Posts: 12,837
    BAIN123 wrote:

LTK was a step in the wrong direction. Its a decent thriller but a misguided attempt to exploit Bond's vengeful side. I suspect its luke-warm reception contributed to the fairly muted response Dalton had.

I was about 8 when LTK came out but on the internet it says that LTK got positive reviews at the time. It might not have made as much money as other bond films but people who saw it enjoyed it. Plus, dalton had tough competition during his era. TLD was up against die hard. And I really enjoy LTK, its my fave bond film.
    BAIN123 wrote:

I was about 8 when LTK came out but on the internet it says that LTK got positive reviews at the time. And I really enjoy LTK, its my fave bond film.

I like LTK but theres something about it that just seemed a bit off. It's like its trying really hard to be really violent, dark and gritty but at the same time loses its sense of fantasy.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    actonsteve wrote:
    HASEROT wrote:

Speak for yourself.

Well TLD and LTK are 2 of the 3 least grossing and least attended films in the franchise.

That's not exactly a sure fire sign of quality though. Just look at DAD, CR and/or QOS.
    [quote="MajorDSmythe"]
    actonsteve wrote:
    HASEROT wrote:

Speak for yourself.

That's not exactly a sure fire sign of quality though. Just look at DAD, CR and/or QOS.[/quote]

That is a genuinely decent film though made by someone who knew what he was doing.
  • actonsteve wrote:
    HASEROT wrote:

Speak for yourself.

That's not exactly a sure fire sign of quality though. Just look at DAD, CR and/or QOS.

I'll give you these 2 but CR was pretty good
    edited January 2012 Posts: 13,894
    BAIN123 wrote:
    [quote="MajorDSmythe"]
    actonsteve wrote:
    HASEROT wrote:

Speak for yourself.

That is a genuinely decent film though made by someone who knew what he was doing. [/quote]

That's a matter of opinion. Personally, I would rather less financially sound Bonds that take the series in a new direction, over Box Office hits that don't really bring anything new to the series. Though I would've been interested in a Dalton/Campbell Bond.
    [

But both have a good reputation and legacy with fans while some of the big box office grossers have shit that seriously stinks.
    NicNac wrote:
    Oh I think they did BAIN, and Timbo wasn't ahead of his time just because he played it straight. He failed to set the world alight simply because he never was nor is a great leading film actor.

I really think, that is the reason above all else. From what I remember, I wasn't attracted to him at all and together with the darker approach, that didn't go down well. I could imagine, that I am not alone with that.
    Germanlady wrote:
    NicNac wrote:

I really think, that is the reason above all else. From what I remember, I wasn't attracted to him at all and together with the darker approach, that didn't go down well. I could imagine, that I am not alone with that.

It's good to have woman on here @Germanlady. I've spoken to very few women about Dalton but the ones I have spoken to (each old enough to remember) didn't look upon him too fondly. Shame because he certainly has a striking presence and one of the coolest vioces.

I think its just his style that didn't gel. He just wasn't "fun" enough. Ive grown to like Dalton's 007 more over the years but I think he's more enjoyable and more engaging in films like Hot Fuzz where he's loosened up. I remember @thelordflasheart saying women who met him in real life were amazed that he had a real "cheeky charm" about him and wish they'd seen more of that during his run as Bond.
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 886
    I think that Dalton's version of Bond was indeed courageous if indeed ill timed, as I felt that the world 'in general' was not ready. Of course, many die-hard fans realized which direction EoN and the franchise was going and appreciated it, in fact I feel that Dalton paved the way for so much change and advancement.
    I'd shake the man's hand if ever I met him. His two films still hold up very well.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    actonsteve wrote:
    [

But both have a good reputation and legacy with fans while some of the big box office grossers have shit that seriously stinks.

my comment wasn't meant as a knock on his 2 films - because i love them both, and TLD is one of my personal favorites... both films are excellent, and were very under-appreciated in their time by the majority of the movie going public.... that is the point i was trying to make.....

over time, those films have rightfully found their place.
  • If LTK had come first it would have cleaned up
    craigrules wrote:
    If LTK had come first it would have cleaned up

Would it? After AVTAK? I'm not so sure.

I think the question is whether people can envision Dalton working now. Two things I think Craig has over Dalts are 1. a raw, brutal quality and 2. A SLIGHTLY better way with humour. Both these things are more appealing to audiences - especially women.
  • DiscoVolanteDiscoVolante Stockholm, Sweden
    <b><font color=darkblue>This is not News. Moved to Actors</font></b>
    Did not care for Dalton then and still do not.

I do not think he was the 007 the general audiences wanted and you know that the customer is right in the end since he/she/they pay the bills.
    SaintMark wrote:
    Did not care for Dalton then and still do not.
    I do not think he was the 007 the general audiences wanted and you know that the customer is right in the end since he/she/they pay the bills.

Did you read any of the books? It seems that people who read the books liked him more or at least appreciated what he wanted to do.

LTK is pure Bond, just not in the way we would expect

I'm not sure about that. I enjoy the film but there's just something off about it. It's dirtier but in a more generic manner. The plot is simply "Bond's mad and he's going to get even". Replace Bond with a man working with Felix in the CIA and the film wouldn't be that much different. It lacks a "quirkiness".

At least when Bond was seeking revenge in the YOLT book he was in an OTT setting.
    Yes I have read the books even before I became aware that there was such a thing as a 007 movie. (yes, am that old)
    Do read the occasional one, have them all in two languages (Dutch & English).

Still never saw or see Dalton as 007, when I read the books I see SC's face mostly.
    HASEROT wrote:
    Yes he was ahead of his time. After 12 years of Moore, Dalton brought some dignity back to the films, which sadly didn't last long, as the series quickly went back downhill with Brosnan. And to this day, it still hasn't really recovered.

LTK is pure Bond, just not in the way we would expect.

You guys are so right. I really wish Dalton had done GE. He would be better appreciated today. I always liked him and I rank his two films as top notch.

• edited January 2012 Posts: 1,778
    Even though I loved Dalton I'll admit he had flaws. Of the darker Bond's I prefer Craig. But remember when TLD was released Dalton was actally quite popular. It was LTK that turned some people off. Probably because just a few years earlier Roger Moore was snow boarding to the beach boys and now we had a Bond movie where people's heads were exploding and drug dealers were being thrown into meat grinders. The transition was too drastic. I loved it but the general public didn't.