Pierce Brosnan's Fisticuffs

2»

Comments

• edited September 2013 Posts: 11,189
    Hmm true...but we don't see him patch up his wounds in LTK like he does in CR. I wonder whether they were trying to give Dalton a little bit of a Die Hard style look at the end of LTK too with the torn jacket and shirt.

In DN Connery gets a bit of a roughing up but still looks pretty good at the end I think.

Same goes for TB. Connery has a big fight with lots of goons but still gets away (relitively) unscathed.

However I agree that Broz (perhaps Moore also) was probably the "cleanest" of all the Bond's.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    @Bain- I don't see how you can overlook DN or especially LTK, I really don't.
    Same here.

• BAIN123 wrote:
    Hmm true...but we don't see him patch up his wounds in LTK like he does in CR. I wonder whether they were trying to give Dalton a little bit of a Die Hard style look at the end of LTK too with the torn jacket and shirt.

In DN Connery gets a bit of a roughing up but still looks pretty good at the end I think.

Same goes for TB. Connery has a big fight with lots of goons but still gets away (relitively) unscathed.

However I agree that Broz (perhaps Moore also) was probably the "cleanest" of all the Bond's.

I suppose Moore got a bit bloodied fighting the goons in TMWTGG and also from the fight with Jaws on the train.

I can't remember if Brozzer got really got roughed up from a scrap?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @identigraph, he's pretty sweaty and banged up in the GE finale. I think that was his trademark, just being really sweaty after a fight. He was never bruised or bleeding like Craig was, but he still took his punches and showed off the exhaustion pretty well.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @identigraph, he's pretty sweaty and banged up in the GE finale. I think that was his trademark, just being really sweaty after a fight. He was never bruised or bleeding like Craig was, but he still took his punches and showed off the exhaustion pretty well.

He was quite bloody and bruised during the TND finale too.
    For the question of where Bond has been most realistically hurt in his confrontations, I look at it this way: LTK and CR are the two films where Bond is most aware of his mortality. LTK especially. In LTK you can tell he didn't expect to survive the tanker chase, and I've always been of the opinion that he genuinely feared death when Le Chiffre had him in that chair.
    @CraigMooreOHMSS, true. Also in the sword fight in DAD, he gets cut up real bad.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @CraigMooreOHMSS, true. Also in the sword fight in DAD, he gets cut up real bad.

You wouldn't think that Die Another Day, with all its fantasy and comic-book influence, would produce any kind of realistic 007, but it actually does! The sword fight with Graves and the main title sequence torture scene, coupled with Bond's 14 month long imprisonment, provide us with a Bond that's not often seen- that is, weakened and brutalized.
    @00Beast, absolutely, and it's nice to see you back on the forums! Haven't seen you around here in a while.

For all the unrealistic CGI bits that DAD offers, there are still some shining, entertaining, realistic moments.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    For all the unrealistic CGI bits that DAD offers, there are still some shining, entertaining, realistic moments.
    Refreshingly nice to see ANY DAD love at all here, thanks guys!!
    @chrisisall, absolutely! I still enjoy the film for lots of parts within. I try not to let the CGI and whatnot get to me too much.
    @Creasy47, I don't care how many rate it badly, I still have fun with it.
  • Is it fair to say Pierce Brosnan is the least convincing pugilist of all the actors who have had the privilege to portray the Fleming character

Lazenby looks good and convincing in a fist-fight, Connery can mix it a little, as can Dalton or even Moore and Craig, but Brosnan always seemed a bit out of place in the fights department

One exception would be the battle with Trevelyan at the Cuban satellite center, but other than that, how many instances can you really recall that were memorable. The fight with the Carver heavies in Hamburg was amusing above all else, the fight with Graves in Die Another Day was great - but with swords - and right now, not remembering much else that comes to mind. One point of note, the steam room "fight" with Onatopp in Goldeneye was - interesting, if a little unnecessary, but I'm afraid couldn't find too many instances this time around of Brosnan's great talents with his fists. You half expect him to shy away sometimes and plead "not the hair"
    Is it fair to say Pierce Brosnan is the least convincing pugilist of all the actors who have had the privilege to portray the Fleming character

No, it's not. But you are welcome to your opinion on the matter. :)>-
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Is it fair to say Pierce Brosnan is the least convincing pugilist of all the actors who have had the privilege to portray the Fleming character

Lazenby looks good and convincing in a fist-fight, Connery can mix it a little, as can Dalton or even Moore and Craig, but Brosnan always seemed a bit out of place in the fights department

One exception would be the battle with Trevelyan at the Cuban satellite center, but other than that, how many instances can you really recall that were memorable. The fight with the Carver heavies in Hamburg was amusing above all else, the fight with Graves in Die Another Day was great - but with swords - and right now, not remembering much else that comes to mind. One point of note, the steam room "fight" with Onatopp in Goldeneye was - interesting, if a little unnecessary, but I'm afraid couldn't find too many instances this time around of Brosnan's great talents with his fists. You half expect him to shy away sometimes and plead "not the hair"

I'd actually put Moore in as the weakest in terms of fighting skills. Everytime he had a scrap he was awkward and clumsy. Brosnan, on the other hand, was quite athletic - for his first three films anyway. I still think that the GE fight with Trevelyan on the dish is in the top two fistfights in the series, only beaten by the Bond/Grant train scuffle.
  • Moore had a decent fight in Beirut with the dancer "I've lost my charm", but other than that, there wasn't really much to say. The Kotto battle in Live and Let Die just appears bizarre, and the fight with the Zorin thugs at the Sutton mansion 12 years later - the least said the better - although, we did see much of Moore's stunt double for that. The fight with the thugs at the pyramids in TSWLM was half decent, but too brief. But as this thread is about Brosnan, should leave it at that
    Moore had a decent fight in Beirut with the dancer "I've lost my charm", but other than that, there wasn't really much to say.
    Moore had his moments, but Brosnan rocked by comparison.

chrisisall wrote:
    Moore had a decent fight in Beirut with the dancer "I've lost my charm", but other than that, there wasn't really much to say.
    Moore had his moments, but Brosnan rocked by comparison.

I couldn't agree more. His fights were just comedic and light most of the time, I prefer Brosnan's. He had some grittiness in his.
    When he banged the piano top on that guy in TND I nearly spit my soda! :))
    I'd say another film where Bond is aware of his own mortality. DAD

The scene where Moon Snr. tells Bond to "turn around" on the bridge Is one of the best moments in the film IMO. Bond thinks his time is up and you can see he's expecting to be shot as he walks further onto the bridge.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    The scene where Moon Snr. tells Bond to "turn around" on the bridge Is one of the best moments in the film IMO. Bond thinks his time is up and you can see he's expecting to be shot as he walks further onto the bridge.
    If only the whole film were THAT serious...
    Oh well, we take what we can get.
    I still like DAD for what it's worth. The PTS is entertaining - the hovercraft scene is great - the hotel scene, Cuba, the sword fight, the chase between Bond and Zao. It's not all bad, but it seems as I get older, I do cringe a good bit in certain scenes.
  • Take away the opening in Korea with the hovercrafts and the swordfight with Graves and you're not left an awful lot in that years release I'm afraid. The abominable Madonna intro and silly cameo, Berry's distasteful character and stupid damn nonsense like the Invisible car concept and CGI wave surfing, just about leaves it dead in the water

Brosnan should of done the right thing, and quit with his head held high after The World Is Not Enough, and not left under a cloud with this regrettable release
    chrisisall wrote:
    When he banged the piano top on that guy in TND I nearly spit my soda! :))

The piano top? What about when he hits a guy, WITH A GODDAMN UPRIGHT BASS?

Anyway, Moore is the worst in the fights, easily. I just meant to say that Brosnan was nothing special either. Connery was good, Lazenby was the best because he knew how to fight for real and it shows completely, Dalton and Craig are excellent at the fighting. Craig especially.
  • If I were to do a ranking on fighting proficiency based on pure fisticuffs and a healthy dose of realism, including my favorite fights-

1. Craig- he's had three films worth including the two excellent Patrice fights and he always looks like he was in one, on brutality, reality, and volume alone it's hard not to give him the top spot. He's had so many, it's hard for me to pick just one convincingly but I think my favorite might be the battle with Carlos on the tanker at Miami International.

2. Connery- he set the tone for this with the Grant fight which is still considered even outside the world of Bond to be a classic, and looked like he was in one most of the time. I'd like to think his performances rubbed off on Craig as the model for Bondian fisticuffs.

3. Lazenby- for one film only he was highly impressive, as a true action star should be in this aspect. But there's only the one film, and while he sold his fights well facially, he never looked too worse for the wear. My favorite of his was the short but brutal fight in Tracy's room with Draco's black henchman.

4. Brosnan- except for the final part of the 006 fight on the dish ladder where the script fails him in realism, he did a very solid job with this in his debut and in his other films. @chrisisall mentions the piano top bit, which was indeed great as was the entire "station break" fight, and he sold the after effects very well. I'm sticking with the sword fight as my favorite moment.

5. Dalton- much as I love him and the unbelievably awesome final confrontation with Sanchez, his fights were usually too short for me and less about pure fisticuffs. Similar to Moore, almost as if Maibaum and Wilson were still in Moore mode, more often than not he outwitted the other guy in some manner by using an object or a situation. Always good though for what it was, and always realistic enough as far as looking like he was in one. Obviously my favorite fighting moment of his was already listed :)

6. Moore- he had some good moments but unlike the others, you could tell he wasn't a natural fighter and that he preferred the easy way out by manipulating the other guy into a mistake rather than just plain beating the hell out of the other guy. His best moment was the Beirut fight in TMWTGG when he actually looked like he was in a bit of trouble for a change.

Tim's my favourite, however let's be real here; Craig's the best, pugilistically. But then, shorter bone length lends itself to quicker motion. Look at Bruce Lee.