The Filmmakers Thread

Comments

• DIY FILM GEAR TIME!!

Following my viewing of an episode of FilmRiot. I decided I would give making a DIY camera slider a go. And now, for those who are interested, I will share with!

In the video Ryan uses EMT as his rails for the camera to go down. But, being in the UK, I found EMT to be rather tricky to find, so instead I used wooden dowel - which worked surprisingly well!

Parts:

I used...

2 x 1m lengths of wooden dowel 18mm diameter (cut for me in store :D) £3.50

1 piece of square scrap wood for the camera platform. FREE - they had a box in store

2 pieces of rectangular scrap wood for the wooden dowel to be secured to on either end - FREE - again, from the box

2 x 20mm pvc tees, these are what slide down the dowel, with the camera platform secured to the tee. Theses had to be a couple mm bigger than the dowel in order for it to be able to slide freely £3.25

4 copper clamp things. (to secure dowel to scrap wood on either end) £0.80

Enough screws, bolts and nuts for the whole thing £1.15

How I built it:

First, I drilled holes in both tees, and on either side of the wood. (pictures below) Next, I pushed carriage bolts through the wood and into the tees, and then secured them with nuts inside the tees. Thus, the camera platform was complete

Next I slid both wooden dowel lengths through the PVC tees and then secured the dowel down either side with the scrap wood and copper clamp things. I had to be careful that the dowel was always parallel and the distance didn't change otherwise the camera platform wouldn't run freely.

And there we have it, the only thing I am yet to do, is find a way of securing the camera down into the platform...

The whole build cost me just under £10.00, which is about $15.00

Pictures:

S1140002.jpg

S1140003.jpg

S1140004.jpg

That's it!

James.
  • @jamesh101

- I saw that episode too.
    How long did it take you to make it (Asin building time)?
  • Around 40 mins. Not long at all! I spent a fair few days researching though!
  • jamesh101 wrote:
    Around 40 mins. Not long at all! I spent a fair few days researching though!

Aha! Interesting, i'd love to build one for myself, as with my current film project I am trying to go with a steadier and smoother take to what I did with my use of hand-held on my previous film. I might actually see if i can give it a go; thanks for commenting with the correct needed equiptment!
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 298
    No problem. You should definitely try building it. The build was not at all challenging, the only difficult part I found was drilling through the PVC tees, I was always scared they would fly up and hit me in the face lol!
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    jamesh101 wrote:
    DIY FILM GEAR TIME!!
    Pictures:

S1140002.jpg

S1140003.jpg

S1140004.jpg

That's it!

James.

You're Chuck Norris! Lol, i'd never think about something like that if i were a film maker. These directors really need to have a very open mind for everything, for every kind of improvisation.
    Thank you lol! Indeed there is a great amount of 'thinking on you're feet' being a Director - not that I am one (yet :D). When I shoot films, I find that loads usually goes wrong, even if I plan my shoot religiously, there are always problems. Although I find gaffers tape solves most ;)
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 303
    Hey guys :)
    - I was just thinking, if we all are up for it, and if we all have the time, why don't we have a little 'film competition'?

Everybody is given the exact same script to a 5 minute film or something, and then has to go away and do their best to make a film from that script, and at the end we can compare and help eachother out through talking about what they did different, and what they could do to make it better and so-on. It could really help each one of us out!

It may never happen, or it may sound stupid, but i'd love to give it a go. So how about it?
  • Hey guys :)
    - I was just thinking, if we all are up for it, and if we all have the time, why don't we have a little 'film competition'?

Everybody is given the exact same script to a 5 minute film or something, and then has to go away and do their best to make a film from that script, and at the end we can compare and help eachother out through talking about what they did different, and what they could do to make it better and so-on. It could really help each one of us out!

It may never happen, or it may sound stupid, but i'd love to give it a go. So how about it?

An absolutely brilliant idea, but let's make it 3 mins. Nice and simple. I'm in - but we need a couple others! :D
  • tqbtqb
    is there a prize? :)
  • tqb wrote:
    is there a prize? :)

Haha, yeah, the winner is hailed: 'Top Film maker of the 3 / 5 minute MI6 'Film Makers thread' competition'!
  • Are you in @tqb?
  • tqbtqb
    jamesh101 wrote:
    Are you in @tqb?
    time permitting- yes.
    but the less actors needed the better.

I'm in.
  • *Just to say, i'm in also :')
    - One thing, who's organising it?
  • I don't mind doing it!?
  • jamesh101 wrote:
    I don't mind doing it!?

Ok then! :)
  • tqbtqb
    We should try to get more people in it. Maybe they can put a message on the main page-
    I will kick everything off tomorrow then!
    jamesh101 wrote:

When is tomorrow? ;)

I have an awesome idea for us writers out there, if anyone is interested. It can be woven into our current project here or a separate one.
  • JWESTBROOK wrote:
    jamesh101 wrote:

When is tomorrow? ;)

I have an awesome idea for us writers out there, if anyone is interested. It can be woven into our current project here or a separate one.

What's your idea? :)
    - Oh and by the way, whatever the final script is, it has to be compatable to make with each contender (Meaning, something that we will actually be able to make) :')
  • Ah yes. Sorry I haven't "kicked everything off". I've been searching for a script. We could all write our own!? Ideas!?
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I'd like to take part in the film comp in future. You know, once I buy a video camera and all... :-S
    [What's your idea? :)
    - Oh and by the way, whatever the final script is, it has to be compatable to make with each contender (Meaning, something that we will actually be able to make) :')

Well the idea comes from Joseph Gordon Levitt's site RECollection, where he gets a bunch of artists to create and contribute to ideas and projects.

One of the the ones he RECommended on YT the other day was a short written skit with only dialogue. No set up, no narration. Just two or more people talking, like a conversation.

The one he used as an example was about two people talking about something one of them did the night before. It didn't even really reveal what they were talking about. I thought it was brilliant, and rather tricky.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited February 2012 Posts: 13,997
    ^Yes, it would make sense to start with something less action-orientated so we can get the feel for the competition.

I haven't played around with video cameras much, but I'm familiar with 3D animation, which begs the question: For this competition, will we be allowed to submit 3D animated films, or is it strictly live action?
    QBranch wrote:
    ^Yes, it would make sense to start with something less action-orientated so we can get the feel for the competition.

I haven't played around with video cameras much, but I'm familiar with 3D Animation, which begs the question: For this competition, will we be allowed to submit 3D animated films, or is it strictly live action?

The example is around 1:50.
  • I think - for this competition we should stick to live action, but I think that in the future we should absolutely hold a competition for 3D animation or both.
    Youtube is hosting a Film Festival,

winner gets to work with Ridley Scott to create a new feature, and a $500,000 grant.

Maybe we should get this competition on here started, so we can submit ours to this!
  • tqbtqb
    edited February 2012 Posts: 1,022
    Haha i have a movie submitted to the Youtube Fest. But i wouldn't mind submitting another hah

and Michael Fassbender is a judge
    ^^ Lets see it!