Going away or coming back?

Comments

All I know about life is that it's confusing and it has felt meaningless to me far too often. I couldn't tell anyone why there is so much suffering and messed up things in the world. I just try to find outlets and gain as much happiness as I can. Bond films and this site definitely are part of that.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    FoxRox wrote: »
    All I know about life is that it's confusing and it has felt meaningless to me far too often. I couldn't tell anyone why there is so much suffering and messed up things in the world. I just try to find outlets and gain as much happiness as I can. Bond films and this site definitely are part of that.

Hard to say/admit for some, but the lack of meaning in the world and our minuscule and near microscopic impact in it provides the impetus to create whatever meaning we can manufacture on our own and in our own way. I've never found solace in fairy tales of comfort or maxims, so I try to place meaning in tangibles, namely people. Sometimes people are as hard to believe in as anything else, but they are real and that's more than I can say for most everything else. There's also books, films and figures of fiction to believe in, which I also find myself doing quite often (we're on a Bond forum, after all).

George Carlin put it best in saying that we've all got a front row seat to a freak show and should just enjoy the performance while we're here. We can't change most things, wouldn't have the power to change them even if it was possible to do so, and are largely going to die before we see great or paradigm changing reform get underway in relation to so many things. Politics is a joke, the news is fickle entertainment and near parody at times and we live in a system that is stacked against the majority of the population. With all this in mind, I take the victories when they come, like so many nations advocating for same-sex marriage as part of their national rights. Not many things that are happening now are good, and a lot of good is being eroded, but it truly is a miracle that certain human rights have been given in the last ten years to those who always deserved them.

So yes, I'm a cynic and never trust in optimism as I think by doing so you gullibly set yourself up for a raw deal and false hope...but from time to time I'm a believer too and every once in a while the human race do something extraordinary. We are living in a crazy world propagated by clashing atoms, constant shifts of planetary movement in a universe we have only begun to understand and just this planet alone is filled with more mysteries that one could solve in 100 lifetimes regarding the meaning of life, how we think and how our world has developed. I'm going to focus on those kinds of awe-inspiring notions and try to deal with all the pettiness, brutality and melancholia elsewhere in life that can sometimes sap the fun out of wondering.
    I wish I could focus on the good more, but it just feels so overwhelmed by the bad and ugly - especially when your personal life hits rock bottom. My faith in humanity is always hanging by a thread because of the things I see and what has happened to me personally from someone who is supposed to be the opposite (I really don't want to go into detail). It just feels like a cruel joke sometimes.

I don't see how someone could be something other than a cynic when it comes to viewing this world. I envy their thinking if they are more optimistic. I've tried to find solace in multiple things - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. The world's not devoid of good, but too often I just ask myself "what's the point" when things around me seem hopeless and there's no end in sight. Ultimately I'm still thankful for the things like this site and people who make efforts to be kind and respectful.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @FoxRox, I don't know your situation, but I totally get those feelings. That way of thinking is like second nature to me at this point. I understand the sort of tantalizing nature of telling oneself things for comfort (I think this is the big draw of religion and faith), but my need to deal with the truth of the matter at hand, what's real and what is supported by logic and reason always hold me back from going there. If things are bad they're bad, but I made a choice when I was very young to deal with things head on instead of losing myself in half-baked ideas or comforting words that only distract from the bad and block out my critical thinking. I know that soft model works for some, but to me that's just another form of denial and lying to oneself to avoid the honest truth of the way things are.

You seem to be in a sort of crisis of sorts, even if it's just a spiritual or human one, so know that I and everyone else is here for you if you need it. I know many people who have had some of the worst years of their lives recently, and I've had my fair share of ups and downs that have definitely changed the way I view life and the world in general. We should all be here to help pick each other up, and I try not to bring things down in debate or bring things to too personal a level. Sometimes it's hard to see behind avatars into the lives of members here that we don't know, and it's doubly hard to think of how our words could affect a specific person in a specific situation. Like everything in life, it's a learning experience.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Thanks; your support is very welcome and it's good to know there are those like you out there willing to offer that support. I've been going through the worst year of my life (for several reasons, but one in particular that is just killing me inside), and it's been hard to have hope or reason to keep moving forward. I'm not saying this as a way to draw attention to myself or throw a pity party, but trying to be relatable for anyone else like @stag going through something horrible.

I wish pain on no one - especially pain like that, but unfortunately it still happens and sometimes there isn't a way out of it, at least immediately. It's good to know you're not alone in deep suffering of any kind, and it's essential for everyone to have some support, because once you have no one you can lean on, I don't even want to know what happens next. My crisis is something that happened that was out of my control, and that just proves how unfair this life can be. I want to reach the other side and be happy more often than sad, hopefully sooner than later.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    @FoxRox & @OBrady keep your chin up guys. I'm one of those 'optimists' I guess. All I've learned to put things in perspective. Never count on others, always count on yourself.

It sounds easy but we're always more likely to look outward then inward.

And this one's always helped me along:

• Andi1996RueggAndi1996Ruegg Hello. It's me, Evelyn Tremble.
    Wow, that is fantastic. What is this? Love it, looks like something from the 60s maybe.
    @CommanderRoss, I am definitely also a proponent of the loner ideal of watching out for and counting on yourself, but that's an imperfect scenario in my life at times. I am a worse enemy/critic to myself than anyone else could dream of being, so sometimes being stuck with myself is actually the unhealthy option. In some ways it's comforting to know you've sort of met your match with yourself, but even as a sometimes misanthropic guy I am ironically dependent on my small circle for the comfort and stability people find through other means.

Despite my two common characteristics, a sometimes cynical view of humanity and the introvert's aversion to contact, I've been very lucky to have been surrounded in my life by people who not only redeem the ills of a portion of humanity in my eyes and show the softness and goodness that can be in us, they've also made me less afraid to put myself out there and be myself. I couldn't be where I am and couldn't have grown as I have without leaning on others, even if I can be critical of our species at times.
    For anyone else feeling down; this is too awesome and hilarious for words:

• stagstag In the thick of it!
    I don't think I've ever met anyone as cynical as myself. I wasn't born that way, but life and my dealings with lots of bad people across the years moulded me into that mindset.
    That said, I must point out that I have been genuinely surprised and touched with the manner people have been responding in this thread. It has rubbed away a little of the tarnish which I have accumulated over the years. Again I thank everyone for their kind words.

@FoxRox, though I'm in no position to offer personal support at this time, I wish you all the best. I'm sure you will agree that there have been enough people pinning their colours to the mast to make you think that we are not alone in facing our tribulations.
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 12,274
    @stag I thank you for wishing me the best. It truly means a lot to me, and I hope my words to you meant something. I also wasn't always cynical, but things change for the worse. We should always know we are not alone in pain, and I really hope you have many people in your life that can help you through this. I am blessed to have a few myself, even though certain circumstances can't change just now. I hope you and I (and everyone else who needs it) are fortunate enough for things to be better and not worse for a change in the near future.
    edited December 2017 Posts: 2,005
    Life is pain, grief, loss, suffering and then pain again. I've long accepted that fact.

...always count on yourself. I couldn't agree more @CommanderRoss

Three years ago I was a miserable thug. I was made that way through my surroundings but deep inside I've always known I am better than that.

And then one day I broke out of my surroundings, escaped them and changed, I didn't do it for others but for myself. It wasn't easy, it was incredibly hard and challenging and no matter where I woke up in the morning, I got up, every single day, determined. There was no alternative than moving forward.

Today I'm an accomplished athlete and a platoon leader in Swiss army special forces. With discipline and determination I have reached my goals. I'm 21 and I may not know all that much but my teen years were hell as I believe I am entitled to say.

In the army I've learned that loyalty and friendship is of paramount importance. Not to judge but to help someone who is weaker than me.

Live, fight, survive. It's the motto of the para-scouts. Combine it with loyalty and friendship and you'll have a life that is ok.

I wish everybody better times ahead who has it rough at the moment.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    @Andi that song is part of 'The meaning of life' film by Monthy Python's Flying Circus. Of the whole shambles (but very funny) film this song has always helped me get a new perspective in life.

@OBrady i'm like you hyper critical of myself. But I've learned a few things. 1. be critical but constructive. It's good to see your own mistakes, it isn't good to blame yourself, as you can't learn from blaming.
    2. the words spoken by others have often more to do with their problems then yours. i.e. if someone starts screaming at you because you made a slight error in traffic, it's an over reaction triggered by something that was never within your area or grasp to change. Hence let them be. Listen, check, and move on.
    3. There's love and beauty in everything around you, we just don't take the time to notice and we draw conclusions even before things happen. Let it be and let it go. And read'The art of war' by Sun Tsu.

And as @Andi said, never give up. It's a motto you can find with most special forces, and they're right. Fight for what you think is right, even if all seems hopeless. If it's worth fighting for it'll give meaning to your life. If you stop fighting, that's what'll dissolve.
    @CommanderRoss, funny that you mention Art of War, as that's a book I pick up and read very often, especially this year. It gives one a great perspective on a lot of things, simply because those teachings can be adapted to so many situations and challenges. Reading the art of winning without conflict also feels strange as an American, as our country has failed to live up to that standard for far too long. Asian philosophy still has much to teach us.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    @CommanderRoss, funny that you mention Art of War, as that's a book I pick up and read very often, especially this year. It gives one a great perspective on a lot of things, simply because those teachings can be adapted to so many situations and challenges. Reading the art of winning without conflict also feels strange as an American, as our country has failed to live up to that standard for far too long. Asian philosophy still has much to teach us.

Brady likes to war.

Brady likes to war.

Well, the book actually teaches the opposite. Basically that, once the fighting starts, you and everyone involved has already lost and that war should be the ultimate last resort. Highly recommended to anyone who wants to adopt some interesting skills in their professional or personal life.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm

Brady likes to war.

Well, the book actually teaches the opposite. Basically that, once the fighting starts, you and everyone involved has already lost and that war should be the ultimate last resort. Highly recommended to anyone who wants to adopt some interesting skills in their professional or personal life.

"What's your shtyle?"
    "I call it, the art of fighting without fighting."
    edited December 2017 Posts: 2,005
    I would like to give a quick update on @BondJasonBond006

Sometimes things go quicker and better than expected. When that happens we have to be grateful because in general it usually is the other way around.

Jase is out of the hospital since December 1st and is since recovering much faster than the docs expected.
    Last Sunday, December 10th, Jase arrived at the army base, his workplace. It's part of the therapy and like leave from sick leave. It's for six days, ending Friday, December 15th when this army year will end.

I'm very pleased and glad how things are going. I like to give you this picture, it's showing Jase being surrounded by some of his recruits and fellow army officers.

It's symbolic for the support, loyalty and friendship, Jase is getting every single moment from us. It's the best therapy we can give him and it's what we are about anyway. We are brothers.

full.jpg
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    @Andi1996Ruegg please post a headshot of you all rather than your boots! It would be good to see a proper photo of Jason in his army gear.

Look forward to it. And now he's well again tell him to drop in for a chat.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Wow, that's great news!
    @OBrady there are two books seldomly proper understood, but when you start to understand they will help you a lot getting the 'right'perspective (or rather understand many perspectives). I'm glad to see this book is as helpfull as it was to me and all those Chinese Generals ;-)
    Another I'd reccommend is 'the prince' or 'il prince' by Machiavelli.

@Andi thank oyu for that picture! It's good to see @Jason back where he belongs!

and on a side-note, I was wondering, have you guys ever walked the Klettgauer Marsch Tagen?
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Agreed great news to hear He's doing so well.
    @CommanderRoss

It's a great tradition to do the Klettgauer Marsch, especially amongst army officers, active as well as retired.
    I know Jase has done it several times. It's taking place in March again.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I'm delighted to hear that @BondJasonBond006 is doing so well. We're all very proud of him. I wish him all the best and a happy future.
    @CommanderRoss, Machiavelli's work is definitely on my list, but as of the moment I've not bought any of his books yet.
    @Andi In march? I thought it was in june. I did walk it twice I think, love the surroundings and perhaps @Jason and I met there before we met ;-)

@OBrady put it on the top of your list, for someone eager to understand his surroundings it's a must tbh.
    edited January 2018 Posts: 2,005
    oh man....! Sugar Man is one of my favorite songs, ever, probably!

You guys really know what good music is!

If you haven't seen the film "Searching For Sugar Man" I can only say you have to.
    edited January 2018 Posts: 2,005
    Wow, that's amazing!

We watched the film at the University in 2015 or early 2016. Cold Fact (album) is wonderful from start to finish.
    Well guys, I'll be offline for a few days, short road trip to start a new job.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    Good luck!