Bond Movie A vs. Bond Movie B (Diamonds Are Forever vs. The World Is Not Enough)

Comments

• PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    Moonraker. I saw it first of these two so I freely admit that may have some influence on my decision here. Nonetheless, I think it's aged the better of the two Lewis Gilbert-directed sci-fi Bond Moore flicks. I prefer John Barry's more traditionally sounding music to Marvin Hamlisch's disco score, Lois Chiles to Barbara Bach, Lonsdale's Drax to Jurgens' Stromberg. I also like how Bond meets both the leading lady and the central villain early on in the story in MR.
    No doubt with this two
    The Spy Who Loved Me: my second favourite vs. Moonraker, the worst film of the series, with a stupid superstrong Jaws who can be carried out by a few people, that falls in love, and that even talks. A film where Bond goes to the space and uses laser guns. Laser guns! this is not Star Wars, even though this film was made because of the success of Star Wars.
    So yes: TSWLM
    TSWLM
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    while my feelings towards Moonraker have lightened up a bit in recent time - it's still the dumber and sillier out of the two... and i still maintain that MR is just dumbed down clone of TSWLM...

MR might have the better score, and better villain... but overall, I feel as though the plot of TSWLM while being over the top, and far fetched - doesn't take it to the absurd levels that MR does.... also, Moore reaches the apex of his tenure as 007 in TSWLM, and brings forth his best outing in the role... Jaws is a menacing threat, and not the sideshow clown he became in MR... plus IMO, the action set pieces are far better and more memorable in TSWLM than MR..

verdict : The Spy Who Loved Me
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 4,622
    Two awesome Bond-films in the grand escapist design. If I must pick, I'll take MR. Bond in outerspace. Spectacular!
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Moonraker for not having a disco soundtrack.
    A tough match. But MR is to good, it has the edge.
    The Spy Who Loved Me
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 147
    MR wins

List of rating.
    MR - 10
    TSWLM - 13
  • TSWLM better Bond girl! plot very similar and villian is weak.......TSWLM better henchman Jaws than MR Jaws so definately TSWLM
    TSWLM, it's a better all around film and Jaws is still a decent henchman at this point.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Both these films have a strong place in my appreciation of all things Bondian. But as TSWLM started this most wonderful journey, how could I vote against it?
    Again, another tough choice. MR has many many reasons to enjoy it. Spy just edges it out though.
    They are the same film film arent they?

One is underwater, the other in outer space?

Spy wins. It doesnt quite have the film ruining humour of MR. Its a little more toned down and witty. MR is spectacular but as soon as Jaws flaps his arms to comedy music as he plummets towards the circus tent we know what kind of film it was going to be.

And Spy doesnt have a Mayan pyramid in the Brazilian rainforest. Schoolboy error.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    TSWLM which is now 12-5, winning.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Oh there is no hesitation for me: TSWLM, one of my favorites.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Evidently MR, due to the majestic Barry soundtrack, and the most entertaining Bond performance in the franchise !! But TSWLM is also very good.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 3,494
    TSWLM easily and completely over that mockery of a Fleming novel X(

The only thing Moonraker has going for it in comparison is a Barry soundtrack.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Moonraker.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    14-7, TSWLM's favor, still.
    TSWLM Brilliant film, Roger is on top form.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    MR

Look, TSWLM is probably the more stable film but MR, IMO, is by far the most enjoyable of these two. In the end, all I need to do is listen to the Barry score and go: yes, MR all the way! :)
    15-8, TSWLM still on top.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    MR sneaks it by just being a bit more entertaining throughout. Hard pressed to think of a boring bit of MR but TSWLM has the odd lull here and there. MR never lets up and puts every penny up on the screen at all times. Rollocking good fun. Even as a Fleming purist I have to say that its simply a fantastic romp.
    Moonraker - better women, more fun, excellent actionscenes and one of the great 007 scores.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Love both but I going with The Spy Who Loved Me. I just enjoy the story more.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 127
    The Spy Who Loved Me. For me it just feels as a superior movie overall.
    The Spy Who Loved Me
    21-10, still TSWLM.
    No sense in voting really but I went with Moonraker, it's simply more fun and is unparalleled in the franchise for action some would say
    Moonraker for me. Better villain, better score, better atmosphere, has aged better...yada yada yada....