Bond Movie A vs. Bond Movie B (Diamonds Are Forever vs. The World Is Not Enough)

Comments

• edited August 2012 Posts: 1,310
    Live and Let Die gets my vote. LALD definitely has faults, but its a more enjoyable film for me.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Hmm, another tough choice. I have big misgivings about QoS - what's it all about?, shaky camera work/quick edits,etc. But LALD is also a middling film for me, too much reliance on humour…which do I find more entertaining? Probably LALD, just by a croc's tooth! (and it does have the lovely Jane Seymour in).
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 501
    This is really close. 4 years ago, after watching for the first time QOS, I'd have had no doubt in choosing LALD. But, QOS is a film that has been growing in me and climbing my list every time I rewatched it. So QOS it is...
    12. Live And Let Die
    11. Thunderball
    10. Quantum Of Solace
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited August 2012 Posts: 28,694
    0iker0 wrote:
    This is really close. 4 years ago, after watching for the first time QOS, I'd have had no doubt in choosing LALD. But, QOS is a film that has been growing in me and climbing my list every time I rewatched it. So QOS it is...
    12. Live And Let Die
    11. Thunderball
    10. Quantum Of Solace
    Welcome to the club. I am a reformed QoS hater as well, and think greater of it than ever.
    Live & Let Die
    QOS gets worse every time I see it, LALD is classic, QOS "always did have an inflated opinion of itself". LALD all the way!
    Never been a big LALD fan, despite great song. And I seem to be one of the few who actually enjoyed QoS from the first viewing, so Question of Sport it is.
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 11,189
    I'd take Live & Let Die because of Jane Seymour and the aligator encounter. Never been a big fan of either to be honest but Live and Let Die is just the more rewatchable for me.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    Easy choice: Quantum of Solace the 2nd best movie in the series!
    MrBond wrote:
    Easy choice: Quantum of Solace the 2nd best movie in the series!

Jebus! I commend you for sticking to your guns in the face of a lof of hatred for this film!
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    What can i say QoS is a great movie, the fast paced editing is something i don't mind. I don't really understand why people hate the film, perhaps why some don't like it but not hate it.
  • LALD Good solid Bond film stuffed full of memorable moments. Superb debut from youthful looking Rog, and the whole thing is a peculiar combination of fun and menace. The villains are wonderful, as is the principle Bond girl.

Quantum of Solace was a crushing disappointment for me.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Quantum of Solace for me. Odds are, I'll always pick a Craig over a Moore.
    Am I detecting a general softening of attitudes towards QoS?
    what next? A DAD love in?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    MrBond wrote:
    What can i say QoS is a great movie, the fast paced editing is something i don't mind. I don't really understand why people hate the film, perhaps why some don't like it but not hate it.

He won't hear anything from me.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start

Difference: QoS good, DAD CG sh*tfest.

DING DING DING, we have a winner.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    I Hope QoS Will get better reception as the years go on!
    It's a fast paced little entry with some nice touches. Definitely going to grow in reputation as the years pass.
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 12,837
    MrBond wrote:

It's my least favourite, and I don't really hate it, if I hated any Bond film why would I be on a Bond fansite? I just like the other films more.

I don't like it that much because of the villian, the shaky cam/editing, the girl (Camille, I like Fields), the theme song, M being overused, the whole water story, the gunbarrel being crap and at the end and Mathis dying.

What I liked about CR is that it was a bit like Daltons films, it went dark and realistic but it still felt like a Bond film, it still had all these little Bond touches. I don't get that with QOS, I think it loses the whole Bond feeling.

I actually prefer DAD because I really like it up until Iceland, the problems I have with QOS start at the beginning and last all the way through.
    I don't see why you have to like all the films to be Bond fan. There are four films that I think stink and even though I dutifullly went to see them at the cinema I'd rather that they had never been made. The others I all enjoy in one way or another. If that means I'm not a fan then so be it.
    LALD gets my vote, it was the first one i see and i still love it despite its flaws.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Live And Let Die!
  • Getafix wrote:
    I don't see why you have to like all the films to be Bond fan. There are four films that I think stink and even though I dutifullly went to see them at the cinema I'd rather that they had never been made. The others I all enjoy in one way or another. If that means I'm not a fan then so be it.

Of course you don't have to like them all, I just think hate is a strong word when you're a big fan of something. I know you don't like the Brosnan films, but I'm sure there's some stuff in them that you enjoy.
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 11,425
    Getafix wrote:

Of course you don't have to like them all, I just think hate is a strong word when you're a big fan of something. I know you don't like the Brosnan films, but I'm sure there's some stuff in them that you enjoy.

The closing credits were always much appreciated! ;)

Hated GE from the first time I saw it, which may have been partly due to the fact I was a big Dalts fan and Brozza (who I had no preconceptions about as I had never seen him in anything previously) seemed like such an inferior Bond to me. To be fair I thought TND was the best of the 4 and thought parts of it were okay. Had they cast Monica Bellucci instead of Terry Hatcher and worked a bit harder on the ending it would have been approaching good. Michelle Yeoh definitely lifts the film IMO. I think they realised they'd made a mistake with the casting in TND and brought in some Euro totty to make up - it didn't quite work but Morceau was less appalling than D Richards and the unspeakable female performances in DAD.
  • Live And Let Die takes it for me, and not because QOS is as awful as people say. It did the job DAF failed to do.

@ Kerim- Craig did try to start plucking Olga's cherry but she turned him down. His best chance for that was earlier in the film when they first met and she invited him to go out for some drinks. I liked that they did that, it was different and gives the movie a little distinction from others. Will definitely make for a good trivia questions at the least.
    Live And Let Die takes it for me, and not because QOS is as awful as people say. It did the job DAF failed to do.

@ Kerim- Craig did try to start plucking Olga's cherry but she turned him down. His best chance for that was earlier in the film when they first met and she invited him to go out for some drinks. I liked that they did that, it was different and gives the movie a little distinction from others. Will definitely make for a good trivia questions at the least.

Mr No Kiss BangBang
  • There'll be plenty of shagging come fall :D
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 12,837
    There'll be plenty of shagging come fall :D

I'm hoping he gets laid at the end as well as during the film, nice happy ending, we haven't had one for a while.