"It's gone berserk!" ~ Diamonds are Forever appreciation

1235»

Comments

• Yeah that finale on the ship is pure class from Bond. Would like more of those 'public school refinement' moments.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Yeah that finale on the ship is pure class from Bond. Would like more of those 'public school refinement' moments.
    Agreed. They don't do that any more and it's sad. This, again is a clear differentiator of Bond compared to the pretenders, and either the writers don't get that (uncultured perhaps), or they are ashamed of it, which they shouldn't be imho.
  • Both probably.
    Plus if you think of real stand out Bond moments, Connery getting on top of that lift (or perhaps I should say elevator) is right up there.
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 1,386
    bondjames wrote: »
    What this film demonstrated to me more than anything else was that an overweight, out of shape Connery with a bad toupee is still the original and the best.

@bondjames Ha. Well put. You can't keep a hairpiece down.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Its #7 for me. Second favourite Connery film because its just so damn fun. Its one of the few that I never get tired of.
    "I was referring to the original vintage on which the sherry is based, sir."

"Unmistakable."

"Precisely."
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Its #7 for me. Second favourite Connery film because its just so damn fun. Its one of the few that I never get tired of.

Was it the rat that did it?
  • I can appreciate the elevator fight (very brutal and very well conceived due to it being in close quarters) and that one 'more cheek than usual' line.

I will not speak about the rest since this is an appreciation thread...
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I'm going through an evolution regarding my fandom towards the Bond franchise.

I never cared much for DAF. Never. Up to last year.
    When I saw DAF finally in High Definition last year I enjoyed it quite a bit. The second viewing last year was even more enjoyable. Finally I appreciated the dark humour and the priceless dialogue.

Now after seeing it again (last week) I already really want to see it again.

Tiffany Case might just become on of my favourite Bond girls. I always considered her hot but unlike Goodnight, Tiffany really isn't dumb at all.

The fight in the lift (that I really only discovered last year) simply is the best fight in the Connery era, so I said it. And I mean it. Go watch it.

On the Blu-ray in the Special Features, you can watch the fight in different angles. They filmed the whole fight with various cameras.

In the movie, the final version is a work of editor's art.

But seeing it in different camera angles just made me realise who truly amazing that fight is.

I have to seriously consider taking DAF away from the bottom spot of my rankings list.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I'm going through an evolution regarding my fandom towards the Bond franchise.

I never cared much for DAF. Never. Up to last year.
    When I saw DAF finally in High Definition last year I enjoyed it quite a bit. The second viewing last year was even more enjoyable. Finally I appreciated the dark humour and the priceless dialogue.

Now after seeing it again (last week) I already really want to see it again.

Tiffany Case might just become on of my favourite Bond girls. I always considered her hot but unlike Goodnight, Tiffany really isn't dumb at all.

The fight in the lift (that I really only discovered last year) simply is the best fight in the Connery era, so I said it. And I mean it. Go watch it.

On the Blu-ray in the Special Features, you can watch the fight in different angles. They filmed the whole fight with various cameras.

In the movie, the final version is a work of editor's art.

But seeing it in different camera angles just made me realise who truly amazing that fight is.

I have to seriously consider taking DAF away from the bottom spot of my rankings list.

Bravo! :-bd
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Watched DAF last night with my youngest dove and we thoroughly loved it. Maybe it's a guilty pleasure, maybe it's just an entertaining movie. My youngest hadn't seen it in a while and got a kick out of the dialogue.

He enjoyed the fight in the elevator, he caught that Bond caused the problem by breaking the glass. The foam from the extinguisher brought a laugh from him. Younger Dove declared that Willard Whyte is one of his favourite characters.

He especially liked the part of him saying he will take the call from Washington "in the john." The Baja line is a favourite of both of us and is often quoted for laughs.

Yes it is jarring after the heaviness of OHMSS, but it's an entertaining movie!
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    BAH HAH? I don't have anything in Bah Hah!
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Though it leaves one wanting in many regards, count me in among those who find it eminently watchable for probably the funniest dialogue of the franchise (the only real competition being Drax's lines in MR).
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited November 2022 Posts: 3,390
    Where does DAF rank in terms of the final movie of each actors (barring Dalton and Lazenby)?

It's 4 movies (DAF, DAD, AVTAK, NTTD), how would you guys rank it?
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    MI6HQ wrote: »
    Where does DAF rank in terms of the final movie of each actors (barring Dalton and Lazenby)?

Second, after NTTD.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà

I’d say first of those four. AVTAK would be my runner-up.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    j_w_pepper wrote: »

Second, after NTTD.

Same.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    My ranking:

NTTD
    DAF
    LTK
    AVTAK
    DAD

Maybe controversial to have DAF above LTK in certain circles, but it’s one of those films I can enjoy any day. It puts me in a good mood.
    My ranking:

NTTD
    DAF
    LTK
    AVTAK
    DAD

Maybe controversial to have DAF above LTK in certain circles, but it’s one of those films I can enjoy any day. It puts me in a good mood.

Yes, though I might pick LTK over DAF, but MI6-HQ restricted her question to the other four ("barring Dalton and Lazenby").
    Imagine that a Bond movie that puts you in a good mood, as opposed to one with a downer of an ending. The dailogue in the movie is spot on and quite funny. Little Dove doesn't get all the jokes (he's just 11) but the ones he gets he loves.

I am not sure where the LGBTQ+ community stands on Kidd and Wint. But I find both of them to be playing the part of homosexual hit men to be quite good. They certainly manage to kill a great many people, even some innocents, along the way.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I can’t say I ever felt NTTD was a “downer”. In a lot of ways, LTK feels more like a “downer”.

DAF only ranks second because I can acknowledge its production flaws.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    DAF is obviously flawed, but with a whole bunch of eccentric characters, its witty dialogue, its laidback atmosphere and that phenomenal John Barry score, it is one of my favourite easy-going Bond films.
    edited November 2022 Posts: 3,390
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    My ranking:

NTTD
    DAF
    LTK
    AVTAK
    DAD

Yes, though I might pick LTK over DAF, but MI6-HQ restricted her question to the other four ("barring Dalton and Lazenby").

Thanks @j_w_pepper I don't consider LTK a final film for Dalton, for me, for a Bond actor to have a "Proper" final Bond film, it needs to be at least 4 or more films.

Dalton's tenure was cut shortly, and it's obvious that it's still not his final film, so I don't consider it, I've only limited it to four actors (Connery, Moore, Brosnan and Craig), they were the ones who had got a "Proper" send off, because of their long tenures.
    One could argue that only Moore and Craig had a true sendoff movie. Connery was coaxed back by the studio and not the producers, Brosnan was dumped after delivering tremendous box office in DAD.
    thedove wrote: »
    One could argue that only Moore and Craig had a true sendoff movie. Connery was coaxed back by the studio and not the producers, Brosnan was dumped after delivering tremendous box office in DAD.
    I guess I'd let myself be coaxed back, even without having had a true sendoff movie, for the conditions that Connery got...probably not even inflation-adjusted.
    Yes, although Connery wanted more creative control, I don't believe he ever got any. One wonders if he had said he'd return but only if the character died would the studio had him come back?

Fast forward 50 years and Babs and Michael give in to Craig's demand that Bond die. Interesting times and you can see how producers used to rule, and now the talent does.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited November 2022 Posts: 5,979
    Oh, I'm pretty sure Connery was in complete control of DAF. He was--maybe not even arguably--the biggest international star at the time.
    echo wrote: »
    Oh, I'm pretty sure Connery was in complete control of DAF. He was--maybe not even arguably--the biggest international star at the time.

I thought it's Clint Eastwood?
    echo wrote: »

I thought it's Clint Eastwood?

Probably not until Dirty Harry came out. Which was after they filmed DAF. Until then, Clint was mainly known for his spaghetti westerns that were not taken seriously by the majority until later. (Correct me, but this is how I remember that time,)