A Study in Sherlock (with SPOILERS) - the stories (and celebrating Sir Arthur Conan Doyle)

Comments

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I would not have guessed that. I guess it's a true fan of Watson's who opened this place! Did you have some tea there? Was there a framed photo of Martin? ;)
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    :D I was in a hurry going somewhere else, could only stop to take the photo unfortunately.
    Conan Doyle was a real person clearly, and apparently he and another literary giant of the day, Oscar Wilde, supped together one evening, and supposedly influenced each other's writing.
    That's the scoop from Preston and Child, the authors of the Pendergast mystery stories. Pendergast btw, is a very Holmes-like FBI agent, with a Watson-like NYC police detective as sidekick.
    In their latest mailer promoting their next book, due in November, they dicuss the Conan Doyle-Wilde tete-a-tete. The authors will actually be fictionally re-creating the dinner and discussion, as an element of the upcoming Pendergast novel.

“One evening, about eighteen months ago, I was in my library, leafing idly through a series of books on nineteenth-century England. In one of them, I was astounded to learn that Oscar Wilde had dined with Arthur Conan Doyle in a London hotel in 1889. It seemed remarkable—almost too good to be true—that the flower of English decadence had supped with the author of the immortal Sherlock Holmes. I couldn’t imagine two more disparate people. And yet not long after that meeting, Wilde published The Picture of Dorian Gray. And Doyle’s nascent Holmes stories saw the detective morphing into a keener, cooler, more ineffable fellow—with a certain addiction. Could these two have possibly influenced each other’s writing?

http://e2.ma/message/23ihd/6m4dhc

Of course Conan Doyle was a real person, just out of curiosity he was an ophthalmologist, a noble specialty for which I hold the greatest respect. And not only did he write the Sherlock Holmes adventure but he also wrote the classic science fiction book The Lost World.
    Very interesting information @timmer, I would never have guessed! One can only wonder what they talked about. That book does sound interesting.
  • edited May 2013 Posts: 2,015
    Com'on, of course Sherlock Holmes was a real person, there's even a commemorative tablet at the place in Paris, the Hotel du Louvres, where he trapped Hugo Oberstein (as told in the Adventure of the Bruce-Partington Plans) :)

sherlock-holmes-sign.jpg

high def image here :

http://silencio.fr/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Hotel-Du-Louvre-Bar-Defender-Silencio-Hotels-Luxe-Paris-Sherlock-Holmes.jpg

(I don't know if it's still here right now though)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I am one of the most ardent Holmes fans around, and even I am not that thick as to think he was real. Granted, it is a nice thought. To be fair, there was sort of a real-life Sherlock Holmes, only he was named Dr. Joseph Bell.
    edited June 2013 Posts: 12,459
    A Study in Scarlet – Review (Warning: contains spoilers)

A Study in Scarlet was not my first introduction to Holmes, but I think it was the second story I read (after The Speckled Band). I was so eager to read the next story, so went back to the beginning when I discovered that A Study in Scarlet was first. How I loved reading about that first meeting of these two special characters! Actually, I never tire of reading that bit. So before I get into the categories and formal review, I'd like to quote from the end of the first chapter - as Watson and Stamford (Watson's old colleague and the one who introduced Holmes to Watson), walk out of Bart's hospital, after that initial meeting with Holmes:

We left him working among his chemicals, and we walked together towards my hotel.
    "By the way," I asked suddenly, stopping and turning upon Stamford, "How the deuce did he know that I had come from Afghanistan?"

My companion smiled an enigmatical smile. "That's just his little peculiarity," he said. "A good many people have wanted to know how he finds things out."

"Oh! a mystery, is it?" I cried, rubbing my hands. "This is very piquant. I am much obliged to you for bringing us together. 'The proper study of mankind is man,' you know."

"You must study him, then," Stamford said, as he bade me good-bye. "You'll find him a knotty problem, though. I'll wager he learns more about you than you about him. Good-bye."

"Good-bye," I answered, and strolled on to my hotel, considerably interested in my new acquaintance.

Needless to say, I was also considerably interested in this Holmes character. And that interest has continued all through the years, even though I have read all of the stories now. The Holmes stories are imminently re-readable, the mark of a truly great storyteller, which Sir Arthur Conan Doyle certainly was.

Now on to the categories for A Study in Scarlet ... (nice title, isn't it?)

Holmes – The world's first look at this self proclaimed "consulting detective" must have surprised everyone (certainly the original readers in 1887!) and intrigued most. Holmes is not the older, sage, detective in later years. Here he is younger, quite eager, excited to show off his solution for chemically determining blood, happy to share his new quarters, and doesn't mind acknowledging that he is indeed different - especially when it comes to reasoning. I think his personality shines well and his intellect, though not as sharply honed as in other stories, is definitely evident. Here is a man comfortable being what many would think of as an oddball, yet he has confidence in himself that is deeply settled already. He is not one dimensional - his annoyances, temper, and sense of humor and love of music; all that come through in this first tale. Not your ordinary character by any standards. Quite good indeed.

Watson –The genius of Doyle in having the stories told through Dr. John Watson is apparent by the time you finish this first story. We, the reader, have our "Every man" to relate to, one who can ask the questions we want asked or say the things we may want to say if we were on an adventure (or even just lodging) with someone as colorful and astonishingly brilliant as Holmes. In this story, we get to know the good doctor a bit. And let me say that Doyle is a great writer for giving a lot of information, flavor, nuance, and ambiance with only a few words. We learn so much about Watson in the first 2 pages alone that I felt that he was a good companion for me, someone I cared about already and wanted to see do well in life after his misfortune in combat. If Doyle had not created Watson, the stories would not have worked. I believe that strongly. Holmes is so unique he needs to be balanced by someone more ordinary, but hardly stupid. Watson is a doctor, an educated and intelligent man, a patriot - and I find him in this story to be interesting, charming, and above all loyal once someone has earned his loyalty. His great qualities are all here. And I loved his remark early on, as his read Holmes' article (but didn't know it was his): "What ineffable twaddle!" Spoken like a true Victorian gentleman. Yet he was, when shown how Holmes' reasoning and deduction worked, immediately big enough to stand down from that early wrong perception. A worthy friend and finely portrayed, right from the start.

Villain – Ah there is some mystery and twists in this category, and we are left wondering exactly how strongly to judge someone. So not a straightforward monstrous villain or slimy centerpiece villain, but yes evil is in this story - it lurks in deeds done to innocent travelers, enforcement/enslavement, abuse of people, and in punishment that is metered out. It is a revenge story years in the making.

Supporting Characters – Well this story abounds in great supporting characters. We meet the future regular members of these tales: Mrs. Hudson, Lestrade, Gregson, and the Baker Street Irregulars. Two other characters that are key to this tale may also deserve to be in the villains category, but I will leave them unnamed. I think this story is strong in good supporting characters. Indeed, if it wasn't, then readers would not have been so fully immersed in this intriguing tale. Doyle paints a rich canvas, even from the first.

Atmosphere – Great! This initial Holmes story gives us the foggy London streets, hansom cabs, the people, attitudes, and very smell of London in Victorian times. The latter middle part then takes us to America, to the State of Utah, in the desert, and it is so startlingly different from what we have just been reading as to be stunning. This change of pace is because the story is related to us, so we can see what developed and why, and Doyle describes the arid desert and the desperation of the people so well that you can read this story and have felt immersed in both worlds. The contrast is like a cozy yet foggy evening vs. blinding, chokingly dry desert daylight. Two extremes, very well done.

Suspense – Yes, there is real suspense and it does change a bit with the twist in the tale. A suspenseful yarn, not lacking.

Violence – Plenty, much of it bloody and some emotional/psychological. I think this is one of the bloodier tales, actually. The violence is palpable, you can feel it.

Humor – There is some nice wit, subtle humor, and you feel that some of the supporting characters are laughable or amusing, even if unintentionally.

Cleverness – Well, Holmes shows off a bit, but he makes at least one error and is fooled. So this is not Holmes at his blindingly brilliant best. But that still puts him light-years ahead of most of us. The story itself is mysterious and interesting, not startlingly clever.

Case – It is an emotional, character driven story that makes one think about ethics, morals, and what would we do if we were in that person's situation, had lived through that. One of the more emotional and moving stories, for me.

Doyle – A master just starting out, yet still a master of the short characterful story. This surely was different than most other short stories during that age (late 1880's). I was won over by his writing immediately; I do think Doyle is nothing short of brilliant when it comes to immersing the reader in an imaginary world that is so real you can smell the smoke curling from the pipe and hear the clop of the hansom cab's horse's hooves on the wet cobblestone streets. He describes characters in such pithy, yet fully drawn ways. Fine and a noticeably different writing style; assured from the start. To find just one small part that I particularly liked: On the very first page, when Watson is telling the reader about himself and after he describes being hit by a bullet in Afghanistan and nearly left for dead, he says: Worn with pain, and weak from the prolonged hardships which I had undergone, I was removed, with a great train of wounded sufferers, to the base hospital at Peshawar. Just that one bit, even - I love the phrase "great train of wounded sufferers" ... Can't you just see them? - the injured, the ill, barely sitting up, worn out from combat and sickness, barely making it back to England on the month-long sea journey. A great writer, in my opinion. His stories breathe life.

Final verdictI think this is a classic tale, and it being the first of the Sherlock Holmes stories makes it a rare gem indeed. It is one of my favorites because of the meeting and growing friendship of Holmes and Watson. I also love the atmosphere Doyle paints so vividly. Watson is more fully drawn in the books, even from this first story, unlike the previous many movies. It is a well written tale, moving, and adventurous and I enjoy re-reading it because parts of it will always stay fresh and interesting to me. As a reader, I was truly captivated and wanted more of Holmes and Watson and their adventurous, mysterious world. Fortunately, for me and all who love these stories, there is plenty more to come.

• edited June 2013 Posts: 4,622
    Good looking review, @4everBonded.
    I will eagerly read it when I finish the story. I got sidetracked. The bookmark says I'm about 2/3 through.
    Thanks, @timmer! I know there are so many Holmes stories, and we will be reviewing only every so often, but I hope to continue with this for a while. Please read and comment as you like. I look forward to hearing your views about the story; it is such a great one, the first one where Watson and Holmes meet.

Cheers!
    Lovely review @4EverBonded, let's keep this thread running. Oh, and yes, I'm back ;)
    Good show, my dear! (And thanks for the compliment; glad you enjoyed my review)

The kettle has just started singing - good timing! And here comes Mrs. Hudson with our boiled eggs and toast, with marmalade and Scottish honey.

Cheers!

sherlock1.gif

(Did you notice I refrained from smoking my beloved pipe until you returned, dear Sandy?)

holmesicon.png

ATTENTION, Sherlock and Conan Doyle fans: Are you anywhere near Haslemere, Surrey?

I just stumbled upon this upcoming CONAN DOYLE WEEKEND event:
    JUNE 15th, 16th and 17th ~

(All below info is copied from the event's website) -

The Haslemere Hall
    Bridge Road
    Haslemere
    Surrey
    GU27 2AS
    For more info, please call: 01428 645 425, visit: www.haslemere.com/vic,

FREE to enter, but donations donations to Haslemere Museum are welcome

***So I am copying only some of this info ***- the weekend is crammed full, with guest speakers and events all centered around Doyle and Sherlock. You can attend any of the events throughout the weekend, you do not need to attend all. You can pay for them separately.

http://www.haslemere.com/conandoyle/saturday.html

Friday, June 15th 7:00 to 10:15 pm
    The weekend opens at the Georgian House Hotel in Haslemere. After a welcome reception the evening starts with a magnificent three course dinner closely followed by a performance from renowned actor, Roger Llewellyn who in this opening act to our exciting weekend explores in character the mind of undoubtedly the greatest of Conan Doyle's creations – Sherlock Holmes's.

Saturday, June 16th

9:30 to 11:00 a.m. Local walking tour with local historian and author John Owen-Smith

11.00am-1.00pm
    Andrew Lane, author of the popular Young Sherlock Holmes series, will give a presentation at Haslemere Educational Museum, followed by a book signing session.
    (Note from Jackie: There was a short story contest, but the deadline is past ...)

2;00 to 4:30 pm
    Also, on Saturday is a showing of the 1959 film version of The Hound of the Baskervilles, introduced by author and Doyle biographer Alistair Duncan.

7;00 to 11:00 pm
    Murder Mystery Dinner Performance - Saturday finishes at the Georgian House Hotel with a three course meal and an exciting Sherlock Holmes, period costume, murder mystery evening.
    Written and performed by members of The Irregular Special Players, the murder mystery will gradually unfold over the course of the evening. All you have to do is follow the clues, question the suspects, find the physical evidence and solve the case before Sherlock Holmes makes his deductions.
    wvrhidingfrommora.jpeg

June 17th, Sunday

10:00am to 12:00 noon
    Conan Doyle and Music. Sunday starts at the Hindhead Music Centre with a talk by Catherine Cooke, the curator of the Sherlock Holmes Collection. Catherine will explore the part music played in Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's life and works. After coffee and cakes, this will be followed by the singing of some of Conan Doyle's ballads. (Note from 4EverBonded: This sounds different for sure, and fun!)

1:00 to 3:00 pm The whole weekend concludes with this banquet ~
    Baker Street Banquet'

The weekend's celebrations conclude at Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's favourite hostelry, The Fox and Pelican in Grayshott where you can enjoy a heart-warming Sunday lunch in the company of Roger Johnson, long standing member of the Sherlock Holmes Society and one of the worlds leading experts on Sherlock Holmes.

Although appreciating the prominent position of the Sherlock Holmes stories in Victorian literature, Roger also enjoys the latest modern interpretations via cinema and television.

COSTS ~

A breakdown of each event's costs: You can pick and choose what to enjoy ~

Event

Cost Per Person

Dinner and performance from Roger Llewellyn £35

Saturday morning with Andrew Lane* £5

Guided walk with John Owen Smith Free

'Conan Doyle and Haslemere' with Andrew Lycett £10

'The Hound of The Baskervilles' with Alistair Duncan £7

Murder Mystery Evening with the Irregular Special Players £35

Conan Doyle and Music £10

Lunch with Roger Johnson, in conversation with ... £35

AND Special Offer:

Full Package of tickets* (no accommodation)

£120pp

I do wish I could attend; neither can 0Brady or Sandy (I assume!!) - we are in different countries, alas. But I did want to give this info to all, so that our British Sherlockian comrades would know about it. I think many Sherlock buffs will be attending.

Cheers!

• edited June 2013 Posts: 4,622
    Finished A Study in Scarlett. That was quite the story, especially the second half relating the American back-story preceding the events in London. A tragic tale indeed. Doyle paints the early Mormon culture as positively monstrous, moreso even than European equivalents of secret societies and such, that the reader might be familiar with. Chilling.
    It was very deft of the author, that by the telling of the whole tale, the murderer gradually becomes a sympathetic, just and noble character, while the two victims are ultimately exposed as villains of the worst sort, who finally got their just desserts.
    This story should appeal to literary Bond fans, who are drawn to cheer on Fleming's protagonist, to mete out similar justice to the most wicked among us.
    Great review above @foreverbonded. I don't have much to add. You've certainly caught the appeal of the introduction the two main characters and their first meeting, as well as the atmosphere and settings contrived by Doyle for this first foray into the world of Holmes.
    Doyle does have fun mocking the limitations of the two Scotland Yard detectives. Surely in real life the detective profession, even in Doyle's time couldn't have been that slow-witted.
    But for Doyle's purposes, the combined denseness of Lestrade and Gregson does help to draw stark contrast with the brilliance of Holmes.
    Thanks for joining our reading and discussion group, @timmer!
    I appreciate your thoughtful comments. Yes, the infamous Mountain Meadows Massacre was (if I remember correctly) only about 30 years in the past when Doyle wrote this story. I won't go into details here; but anyone can look it up. So his harsh treatment of the Morman church was, I think, in general accepted by the public; they had only certain perceptions of the Morman church and the massacre was still fresh enough in their minds. I have read that he privately apologized to the church years later, feeling he was too hard on them (as a whole church). You make a good point about Bond fans very likely enjoying this story - it is one of revenge and personal justice given out. I hope more of our members, especially those who really enjoy reading, will give it a try. :-bd

This story gave us a really terrific, highly charged, suspenseful start to the series. When Doyle wrote it, surely he did not know there would be so many more stories to be published - he just wrote the best detective yarn he could.

I'm glad you enjoyed it, timmer! Later this week, we may be giving out hints of what our next story will be that we will review. But for now, some of us are still reading it and writing our reviews; I expect Scarlet will continue through June at least.
    Good to read your opinion @timmer. You make an excellent point about the twist of the revenge/victim becoming the villain question. I think it's one of the most fascinating things about this book.

@4EverBonded I didn't know about the Mountain Meadows Massacre but I've looked it up on the internet, thanks for pointing it. That was pure savagery, those initial years of Salt Lake City must have been tough.
    I think it is easy to romanticize our early history as a country, but it must have been really tough for many (and especially for the native Americans who were killed and driven out of their homes). So much of our past is gruesome, hardships, and violence. Not all, but there certainly was a lot of it.

I wonder if Doyle ever stated (in an interview or essay or anything) what inspired this particular story? I think many of us Holmes fans have read that Dr. Joseph Bell of Edinburgh was an inspiration for the character of Holmes. But I would have loved to ask him about how he thought up this murder/revenge plot. It may well have been his reading about the massacre decades earlier. I'll try to find more factual tidbits from the huge mass of info out there on Doyle.
    I am still shaking my head over what a great read A Study in Scarelett is. I had read it before, but years ago.
    I think I will plunge into The Sign of Four in the meantime (the next title in the chronology).
    However whatever you come up with for the next official read, I will dive right into that. I am not fussy about what order I re-read the stories in. It's been so long since I read any of these stories, they are all fresh again.
    timmer wrote:
    I am still shaking my head over what a great read A Study in Scarelett is. I had read it before, but years ago.
    I think I will plunge into The Sign of Four in the meantime (the next title in the chronology).
    However whatever you come up with for the next official read, I will dive right into that. I am not fussy about what order I re-read the stories in. It's been so long since I read any of these stories, they are all fresh again.

The Sign of Four is most definitely another of my favourites, and another in which the border between good and evil are fuzzy.
    @Sandy. That's good to know about Sign of Four (good and evil fuzzy).
    Again I am not going rogue here. I will switch over to whatever the next assigned read is when the time comes.
    Thanks very much for your enthusiastic participation, @timmer. :)
    Deerstalker hats off to you, kind sir.
    sherlock1.gif

I love The Sign of Four, one of my favorites! I think we are going to officially do a shorter story for this next one up, though. I'll post about that in a couple of days probably. (I recently re-read The Sign of Four anyway, just for fun; it's great!).
    Great Scott! While looking at some Sherlockian (as called in America) and Holmesian (as called in Britain) sites on the internet, it has become obvious to me that there arefar more than I ever realized.

And, as a bit of rather useless but fun trivia, I am sharing below just a few of the logos or emblems of some Sherlock Holmes societies around the world - and some of these names really made me smile. Starting today with just 3 from America.
    (And I'll include their website link out of courtesy for copying some of their info. Italics or bolding is mine, not the societies listed.)

gratlogo.jpg
    THE GIANT RATS OF SUMATRA
    Oh, the Giant Rats! This may be my favorite name ever! They are based in Tennessee, USA
    http://www.sherlock-holmes.com/giantrat.htm

~

Wish we could see this one better; it is an interesting coat of arms!
    Crest1-110x124.jpg
    THE SOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES
    ... from Puget Sound region of western Washington State, USA
    This group has an irresistibly named newsletter and affectionate moniker for their members ... as is stated on their website: "Club membership brings our members (affectionately called "SOBs" the monthly newsletter, Ineffable Twaddle, and a copy of our Beaten's Christmas Annual, as well as the incalculable benefits of association with a group of certifiable Holmes aficionados."
    http://soundofthebaskervilles.com/

~

adventuresheader.jpg
    Nashville Scholars of The Three Pipe Problem
    http://www.nashvillescholars.net/
    I love their logo's coat of arms!

~ ~ ~

Three hints to our next story that we will review will be posted in a couple of more days. Meanwhile, we are still enjoying and discussing A Study in Scarlet, the very first Sherlock Holmes story.

And here, to top of my evening's ramblings, is one of Sidney Paget's great Holmes illustrations. Holmes appears to be looking right at us:

Sherlock_Holmes_Portrait_Paget.jpg
    Holmes prides himself in only filling his brain with what is useful to his profession. He is blissfully ignorant on other subjects, and ruthlessly makes effort to keep non-useful info from cluttering his brain storage closets.
    Most of us don't have this discipline. We spread ourselves all over the place, knowing a little bit about a lot stuff, and more about stuff that we are most interested in.
    I've noticed this Holmes trait with a couple of other very smart people I've met. This tendency to fully immerse in one's area of expertise to the point of having no interest in stuff not related to the core interest.
    It's quite the discipline. The downside is one can be socially awkward, not even having a surface knowledge of broader societal top-of-mind cultural interests that regular schmucks kick around as part of day-to-day living.
    Such is the price of focused genius I guess.
    Holmes is looking at me above, saying don't even think about regaling me with your thoughts on the Stanley Cup final. My interest is less than zero.
    timmer wrote:
    Holmes prides himself in only filling his brain with what is useful to his profession. He is blissfully ignorant on other subjects, and ruthlessly makes effort to keep non-useful info from cluttering his brain storage closets.
    Most of us don't have this discipline. We spread ourselves all over the place, knowing a little bit about a lot stuff, and more about stuff that we are most interested in.
    I've noticed this Holmes trait with a couple of other very smart people I've met. This tendency to fully immerse in one's area of expertise to the point of having no interest in stuff not related to the core interest.
    It's quite the discipline. The downside is one can be socially awkward, not even having a surface knowledge of broader societal top-of-mind cultural interests that regular schmucks kick around as part of day-to-day living.
    Holmes is looking at me above, saying don't even think about regaling me with your thoughts on the Stanley Cup final. My interest is less than zero.

Accurate thoughts on Holmes' use of his brain indeed, @timmer.
    And I just especially love your last bit!

Holmes also thought that stopping work on a knotty problem, so to speak, and doing something else entirely (examination of tobacco ash, enjoying music in depth at the opera, etc.) was the best refresher for the mind. And then the solution would come to him more quickly when he returned to the problem he was trying to solve. I think there is good sense in that, too.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I can relate to Holmes in the knowledge storage department. I often sit in classes (both in the past during high school and now in college) where I know I will never use some of the things being taught ever again once my term is over. My mind seems to understand this too, as it wipes my mind pretty effectively of most things related to science and almost everything math-related after my need for knowing them is done. This is of course to make more space for important things, like historical knowledge, Bond, Sherlock Holmes and Batman knowledge, film and literary knowledge, and more.

If there is anything I find fascinating it is certainly the human brain. We can almost tell what we ourselves have a passion for learning about just by what kinds of things stay with our brains over time and what forms into our dearest memories. I have blanked on high school Math exams about problems I studied right before class began but can easily remember little events that happened in my childhood and the characters/plots of books/films that I experienced many months or years prior. I am a huge cinephile and my brain is almost like a sponge, absorbing film knowledge that I am sometimes not even aware of so that I can spill it out later when in a discussion with my friend or if I am being quizzed by other movie fans. It is amazing to think about just how much we pick up on and store away in our brains without realizing we are doing it. That is why the brain has always been a constant fascination of mine. We know so little about it (apparently we only use roughly 10%-20% of it), yet it is responsible for so many amazing things that it is hard not to be baffled and amazed by it processes.
    I'm addicted to knowledge, have an insatiable thirst for it, and I'm afraid I fill my brain with apparently useless things but then, I'm of the opinion that the brain should be exercised in multiple disciplines to keep it in shape ;)
    timmer wrote:

Accurate thoughts on Holmes' use of his brain indeed, @timmer.
    And I just especially love your last bit!

Holmes also thought that stopping work on a knotty problem, so to speak, and doing something else entirely (examination of tobacco ash, enjoying music in depth at the opera, etc.) was the best refresher for the mind. And then the solution would come to him more quickly when he returned to the problem he was trying to solve. I think there is good sense in that, too.

I agree completely, that actually has a name: concentration through distance. I do it in multiple ways: play the piano (not now, since I don't have one or even space for one), folding some complicated origami, cooking, watching some silly film/series...
    I walk my dog or read a different kind of book, analyze children's picture books and plan how I will tell that particular story (one of my favorite parts of teaching young children here), or watch a dvd (movie of TV series) I haven't seen in a while (or even better yet, a new one). I have friends who like to clean; I am not one of them. ;)
    Harken! It is time! Forthwith, is our announcement of the 3 Clues for the Sherlock Holmes story that we will be reviewing next!

NOTE: A Study in Scarlet will continue to be discussed through June.

Beginning July 1st, our intrepid Baker Street Bibliophiles will be reading and then later posting our reviews for the next story.

So, dear Sherlockian comrades, please read our clues carefully and let us know your best guesses as to which Holmes story is next.

The clues are:

Row
    Station
    Calligraphy

There you have it; our 3 clues for the next story. Let the guessing begin!

Cheers to all ~

sherlock1.gif
    I'm stumped, but that's to be expected. There are so many stories and it's been years since I read them.
    This one is a good one @timmer, think about it and you'll see the answer lies right in front of you ;)
    Just bumping this to the new page ...

holmesicon.png

Beginning July 1st, our intrepid Baker Street Bibliophiles will be reading and then later posting our reviews for the next story.

So, dear Sherlockian comrades, please read our clues carefully and let us know your best guesses as to which Holmes story is next.

The clues are:

Row
    Station
    Calligraphy

There you have it; our 3 clues for the next story ~ Let the guessing begin!