A Study in Sherlock (with SPOILERS) - the stories (and celebrating Sir Arthur Conan Doyle)

Comments

• SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    It is often said that love cannot be explained. You love and that is all that matters. I am, however, a very rational human being and I do not believe love cannot be explained and I know it certainly isn't blind. There is a reason for everything, it is only difficult to find it. I have loved reading all my life, I think it is because a book can take you to places you have never been and makes you experience things you could never experience in real life. For me, books have always been a never ending source of amusement.
    I developed a taste for adventure books very young, although I might not have understood everything I was reading. I was 9 when I read The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas. At that age the only contact I had had with this story was through cartoons and film adaptations so when I read that book I was amazed by how different the story actually was! Most of the adaptations took the names of the characters and little else, they completely butchered the story. The book had danger, betrayal, death of beloved characters, intense drama. That was when I realised that books can take you places because there are no limits for one's imagination. Sometimes screen adaptations are better than the books, it is not often but it happens. Rare are the occasions when a film or series mirrors a books, keeps its spirit alive, but that is not what I am here to talk about. It happens that most of the times even the most beloved adaptations pale when compared to the real thing: the book. Just like the Bond in the books is a complex character that we only used to get glimpses of.
    I used to watch Sherlock Holmes on TV just like any other good detective series like Poirot or Miss Marple. Good, entertaining, but it didn't stand out for me in any way. Like in many other things in life my mother ended up having a pivotal role in this story. She loves reading and we always had an impressive library at home. Particularly, she had a massive collection of paperback detective and suspense books from her teenage years that she kept in a box in the attic. It included Raymond Chandler, Ian Fleming, Agatha Christie, etc. One sad day we had a flooding originating in the attic caused by a defective pipe and most of our library was ruined along with decades of photographs, letters (including love letters my parents wrote while they were engaged), memories in general. The only 3 books from my mother's paperback collection that could be salvaged were a Phillip Marlowe, another detective book that I can't remember the name (but I remember it was very bad) and an Arthur Conan Doyle one, A Study in Scarlet and The Seven Mysteries (in fact I found a photo of the edition online, apparently it's part of a collection that is coveted by collectors). My mother insisted that I should read it, that I would love it and indeed I did. It completely changed my image of Sherlock Holmes and Dr. John H. Watson. This was not what I was used to! I devoured every Sherlock Holmes adventure I could get my hands on. Holmes was more than a bit crazy (I thought), in fact he was a bipolar drug addict and he had great boxing skills. What can I say, I love anti-heroes, I just can't stand characters who have no faults, so for me this Holmes was so much better than the one on TV. And Dr. Watson was so much more as well, he was resourceful and intelligent (not quite as much as his friend, but still), with a good dose of fun. I had loved James Bond since I could remember myself, and now I loved Sherlock Holmes as well. Needless to say my teenage years were not easy (I can understand you so well @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7), my tastes didn't revolve around Backstreet Boys or Spice Girls, I was a skinny, smart and eccentric girl who wore green and blue nail polish, painted her hair red, liked James Bond, Shakespeare, Sherlock Holmes, Oasis, Blur... But I could relate to Sherlock (more than I could with Bond) he was smarter than most people around him, had an analytical mind, was a great observer, a bit eccentric and a loner. Yes, I was just a little bit like him.
    Many years have passed but I still enjoy these adventures as much as then. Now I can even appreciate the several screen incarnations of the character because I see a something different of Holmes in each one of them. I have found new and fascinating stories, writers and heroes elsewhere, and although I am first and foremost a Bond fan (let's not forget about it) that doesn't make me less of a fan of Sherlock Holmes, or other characters.
    So you can explain love if you take time think about it! You know a book is good when you read it several times and each time you find something new. You know you love a book when you not only find something new but you feel excited every time you read it. I have this with Holmes. It will be a pleasure to read some stories I have probably forgot about and revisit some of my favourites. So without further ado, let the game begin!
    smiley_sherlock.gif
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited May 2013 Posts: 28,694
    That was a very lovely story, @Sandy; very heartfelt. If only the girls I have met were more like you, who stood out from the crowd and embraced the things you loved that made you unique. :)
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    @Sandy, thanks so much for that! I am in a great hurry at the moment and experiencing computer problems, too; so it may be hours before I can post again. Just to say I loved reading about you and your interest in Sherlock.

I'll write more later, I hope, today. Cheers, everyone! :-bd
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    St.Barts has to be A Study in Scarlet... but crop? :-/
    ggl007 wrote:

Crop might be misleading, yes it's the hardest lead. But crop is there, probably you're thinking of a different kind of crop. In a few hours you'll know if you are right or wrong.
    Sandy wrote:
    ggl007 wrote:

Crop might be misleading, yes it's the hardest lead. But crop is there, probably you're thinking of a different kind of crop. In a few hours you'll know if you are right or wrong.
    (Just for the record: I´m Spanish
    :P )
    So, I´ve found that, apart from the "crop: product for harvest", there´s also a "crop for riding"... on a car... ;) :D
    STUD
    edited May 2013 Posts: 4,012
    OK, little more than an hour until I post the title of the first case to be reviewed.

Now another question: What is the importance of this very day for the Holmes canon?
    proxy.jpg?t=HBheaHR0cDovLzI0Lm1lZGlhLnR1bWJsci5jb20vMDkwNTI2MmE0YTI0MDliYWY0ODMzZGYxZDk4NWQzZDUvdHVtYmxyX21tOXUzbVVVNEwxcWtna293bzFfNTAwLmpwZxSQAxSsAgAWABIA&s=f7v-2FYEzfGRDfgN3DK5Xk5E93KVGrLrrLmPcpUj8To
    :D
    edited May 2013 Posts: 12,459
    Excellent indeed, @ggl007! And you gave us the answer in the best possible presentation - thank you for sharing this picture of the plaque!

Yes, it was at Reichenbach Falls, May 4th 1891, where Moriarty met his doom - one of the most memorable scenes in literature - in the adventure called The Final Problem. Well done indeed!
    Thanks, 4EverBonded. This one is very good too... and an alternative answer

parkhotel-du-sauvage.jpg
    Ah yes, they stayed there on those dates. :)
    I hope to visit this area of Switzerland myself some day. Some Holmes societies go there as a group, with a couple of them sometimes re-enacting the memorable scene (albeit no one really falls!).
    edited November 2020 Posts: 4,012
    And the first review will be...

It was the first Sherlock Holmes adventure, published in 1887 in Beeton's Christmas Annual.
    [img]http://jasobrecht.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Beeton’s-Christmas-Annual.jpg[/img]
    Yay! And I love that cover, @Sandy! Thanks for finding it. Yes, it is the original Beatons' version. I love looking at old illustrations; that's cool.

How could we not start with this one? Well, we could have ... so many stories are compelling ... but we will be beginning at the beginning - where Holmes and Watson first meet and their first adventure together. Logical, no?
    sherlock1.gif

Kudos to all who deduced that yes, it would be the Scarlet one we are doing first. =D>
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    A tribute to the courage and resilience of Mr. Sherlock Holmes:

And an informative video!
    Simply great - thanks, @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, in remembrance of this date way back in 1891.
    Oh wait, this was fictional, wasn't it? ;) Sometimes it is easy to believe in these stories, they seem so real, such a part of our culture now.
    Simply great - thanks, @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, in remembrance of this date way back in 1891.
    Oh wait, this was fictional, wasn't it? ;) Sometimes it is easy to believe in these stories, they seem so real, such a part of our culture now.
    Holmes is quite real to me. Hell, he already means more to me than most people I have met, save a few very dear friends and some family.
    It has come to my attention, my Sherlockian comrades, that there is one other event of some importance in one the Holmes stories associated with May 4th.

So go on, then, have a guess - in a different story, something that was substantial to the plot of that adventure happened on May 4th (and I'll give you the year, too: 1882).
    Anyone care to try to name that story and what happened on that date?

This may be a two pipe problem ...
    sherlock1.gif
    Maybe in Scandal where Irene escaped with the photos and ultimately beat Holmes?
    Not what I found - but I am looking up A Scandal in Bohemia right after I type this. It's a different story, 0Brady. But wouldn't it be interesting if Doyle used that date (May 4th) several times? Hmmm.
    Congrats, 0Brady, good videos. This piece is really good, by ACD himself!

tumblr_m4idqxTYXV1qd8mh6o1_500.jpg

Fourth of May is not a coincidence. Now, pay attention:

"There stood upon the fourth of May, eighteen hundred and forty-seven, a solitary traveller" STUD

"Upon the fourth of May, 1882--an advertisement appeared in the Times asking for the address of Miss Mary Morstan" SIGN

And, of course, Reichenbach. So, what´s the meaning?...
    @ggl007, I am sure that the other event on May the 4th that @4EverBonded is referring to is that bit about Mary Morstan. Though I have yet to read it, that is then obviously from The Sign of the Four and should be the answer she is looking for.
    Ah, congratulations are guessing the second and third story to feature May 4th, @ggl007! Yes, I noticed that is the day (different year) that Mary Morstan read the advertisement in the Times and she then responded, setting in chain the story The Sign of Four.

And you found the same day - May 4th again - in A Study in Scarlet!

I am now guessing that Doyle subconsciously liked this date. That's three instances right there. Coincidence? Hmmm.

Thanks to everybody who participated. And thanks for showing the "handwritten note" that Sherlock wrote to John as Moriarty awaited him. Good show, @ggl007 .
    =D>
    Well, now hold on your seats!!!

"On the fourth of May Sir Charles had declared his intention of starting next day for London, and had ordered Barrymore to prepare his luggage. That night he went out as usual for his nocturnal walk, in the course of which he was in the habit of smoking a cigar. He never returned." HOUND

@-) @-) @-)

Now we have in the three most important novels by ACD the date 4th of May: STUD, SIGN and HOUND. He was born on the 22nd of May, but why that date was important to him???

(By the way, you have to explain the clues ;) )
    Maybe the date had personal significance to Doyle? It is quite likely it was just coincidence, as you have to set out events at some time during a month when plotting a story and can write about events happening on a day numerous times without even realizing it, but you never know. Doyle based Holmes off brilliant men he knew like Joseph Bell, Watson likely after his own medical mind and apparently had a schoolmate named Moriarty, so we may never know how much he used of his personal life to inspire his fiction.
    Ooops! Consulting another two editions of HOUND, the date for sir Charles is "fourth of June". My mistake.

Anyway, we have STUD, SIGN and Moriarty... Perhaps the madam had something to do with this. I can´t find her birthday...
    Funny you should say that, I was trying to look up Doyle's family members' birthdays, too! But I had to leave the computer for a while. :) May 4th meant something to him, I think. Either that or he just liked the sound of it and unconsciously used it a bit. Interesting trivia, yes.
    Funny you should say that, I was trying to look up Doyle's family members' birthdays, too! But I had to leave the computer for a while. :) May 4th meant something to him, I think. Either that or he just liked the sound of it and unconsciously used it a bit. Interesting trivia, yes.
    Or like I said, coincidence. As Holmes states, we must form theories to suit facts, not facts to suit theories. But yes, we shall keep searching.
    I really enjoy reading the stuff on the Holmes books, even if I do not join in the discussios I find them fun to read.

I only own a complete boxset of the stories of Sherlock Holmes and The illustrated Sherlock Holmes treasury (which is easy to take with you on vacation) and a few non-Doyle SH books including the last one.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    With regard to the earlier posts from Brady and 4 Ever.
    May The Fourth Be With You.!
    @SaintMark that sounds impressive if you ask me. You are more than welcome to join the discussion if and when you feel like it.

@Mrcoggins that was funny.

Concerning the 4th of May, I had never noticed it! Perhaps he liked the date, when you say it out loud 4th of May does sound very good.