Craig: 'Politicians Are Sh*theads & Backstabbers' also meets Cameron at Pinewood.

Comments

I saw that interview some time ago. Great clip and you've got to love his laugh.
    Daniel speaks the truth. Our politicians are just as greedy and corrupt (professionally and morally) as politicians in third world countries. The only difference here is those bottom feeders never try to hide what they are while our jerkoff sodomites and crooks pretend to be holier than thou.
    they can all go urinate up a rope and eat Apollo's jock strap.
    Daniel Craig: correct
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 886
    Might have been a little "strained' shall we say?
    http://www.politicshome.com/uk/article/44025/dave_meets_bond.html

The PM got plenty of coverage for his preview of the shake-up of funding for British films, with a new emphasis on 'mainstream' rather than uncommercial prospects.

Pix also emerged of him sitting in a directors' chair alongside Downton Abbey's Julian Fellowes.

The Fellowes photocall was fine, but the 'money shot' would obviously have been the PM on the set of the new Bond movie - alongside Bond himself.

Sadly, no such record exists.

I hear that Dave did indeed meet Daniel Craig, but the moviemakers didn't want any publicity at all and Downing Street kept their word not to mention it. The contents of their conversation are, ahem, strictly classified.

It was all very, very hush-hush. If I told you any more, I'd have to shoot you.

It is curious, though. Not many movies would want to turn down a chance to have a publicity pic with the British Prime Minister.

Clearly Skyfall is different, possibly nervous of any press or TV being allowed anywhere near their highly-secret set and leaking details of their plots.

It's a shame, given that Cam is a big Bond fan (Roger Moore is his era, rather than Sean Connery).

He could also have shared his expertise on budget cuts. After all, we learned today that Skyfall is having to shoot in Bognor Regis because it simply lacks the cash for far-flung overseas locations...

• edited January 2012 Posts: 401
    It would be nice if he knew what he was talking about. But, of course, everyone on here treats it as if it was the greatest political viewpoint of all time, just because it's Craig. Also a pretty classless way to show your views on something, with half the words in the interview being curse words. I love that Timothy Dalton interview forgotmyusername, it's nice to see at least one Bond talks with some intelligence.
    Dr_Metz wrote:
    It would be nice if he knew what he was talking about. But, of course, everyone on here treats it as if it was the greatest political viewpoint of all time, just because it's Craig. Also a pretty classless way to show your views on something, with half the words in the interview being curse words. I love that Timothy Dalton interview forgotmyusername, it's nice to see at least one Bond talks with some intelligence.

^^that.
    I also wanted to add that if Daniel Craig wants to curse a million times in private with his friends, I really don't care. I curse, everyone curses. But if I was giving an interview to a magazine, I would try to sound more intellectual, or at least try to not swear every second (actually, even if you did actually take the swears out of that interview, he would still sound pretty dumb). If he didn't swear as much (and by that I mean every other sentence), and sounded more intelligent when talking about politics, I wouldn't be as irked.
    Dr_Metz wrote:
    I also wanted to add that if Daniel Craig wants to curse a million times in private with his friends, I really don't care. I curse, everyone curses. But if I was giving an interview to a magazine, I would try to sound more intellectual, or at least try to not swear every second (actually, even if you did actually take the swears out of that interview, he would still sound pretty dumb). If he didn't swear as much (and by that I mean every other sentence), and sounded more intelligent when talking about politics, I wouldn't be as irked.

I like the way the Craig-dislikers suddenly become all prissy and mother superiorlike because he curses.

As for CallmeDave going to Pinewood - shrieks of publicity stunt by Downing Street. Julian Felowes is of course an old establishment Tory who probably was fag to Cameron while they both dodged the headmasters cane at Eton.

Good for Eon not letting CallmeDave anywhere near Bond. They obviously dont want their product tarnished.
    actonsteve wrote:
    I like the way the Craig-dislikers suddenly become all prissy and mother superiorlike because he curses.

It's not that he curses, it's that he curses a lot in that interview, and it was unneeded. He just generally came off as a uninformed weirdo in the interview.
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 4,622
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Dr_Metz wrote:

^^that.

^^double that. Well said Metz.
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    edited January 2012 Posts: 1,699
    timmer wrote:
    I'd agree with you if you could point to other mature big name actors that routinely drop f-bombs in every interview they do, which are generally conducted in civilized, relaxed environments.

How do you know they don't? For all we know their publicists probably make sure any swear words are removed by the interviewers they meet. Think it's fair to say Craig would have no truck with that sort of thing when it comes to interviews, which is to his credit for me.

As to politics and actors... well, all politicians are actors to a certain extent, given that all populist politics is altruistic to a certain extent. And those that are good at it often go far - look at Reagan and Blair. The reality is - whether you live in a democracy or a tyranny - you'll never be able to remove from politics the capacity for an individual to claim power. It's the nature of the beast.

And the Bond people - and especially Craig - not wanting to be seen with Cameron? Well, given how controversial the proclamation on the UK film industry was that the latter made with his cohort Fellowes at Pinewood, I'm not surprised Eon didn't want to appear to be associated with it/ backing it. Eon, I'd imagine, would want to appear politically impartial in the UK anyway. And methinks it's clear Craig wouldn't want to be seen dead with Cameron... ;)
    Those, who oppose that remark - are you saying then, he is wrong? That politicians are NOT VERY often exactly that? I also think the UK hasn't been blessed with great politicians lately or am I wrong?

And whatever one might think of the swearing - at least he doesn't tries to change for the sake of being politically correct. With him you get what you see and whether one likes it or not, its at least honest - something you cannot say of THAT many people in the biz, I assume. I feel, there are many things he brings to Bond in terms of personal dedication, that can make the fans proud, so maybe those fans can forgive some flaws the man has.
    Germanlady wrote:
    And whatever one might think of the swearing - at least he doesn't tries to change for the sake of being politically correct.
    He doesn't have to come across as a bitter old man either.

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I don't see why he has to swear so much. I grew up on a council estate in Swansea. Ok, I do swear, but when i'm being interviewed (not for a film, of course but it's the same difference), i'm aware of how I might come across, so I choose my words carefully. Craig has been acting since I was in school, so he must surely be aware of how he must come across when he's swearing like a dock worker while being interviewed.
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 6,601
    Dr_Metz wrote:
    Germanlady wrote:
    Those, who oppose that remark - are you saying then, he is wrong? That politicians are NOT VERY often exactly that? I also think the UK hasn't been blessed with great politicians lately or am I wrong?
    "The fact that a guy who'd been in a band, owned an electric guitar and has probably had a spliff was Prime Minister really meant something, after years of John Major and Margaret Thatcher." He likes a politician because he maybe smoked pot once. It's not a clever opinion.

But that quote is from Oasis's Noel Gallagher, who ripped Blair for being manipulative after having met him..go back and read again.
    He doesn't have to come across as a bitter old man. And I can't think of much he brought to Bond that was very good.

OK, so you are not a fan in general. Fair enough, but as I see it, having a negative oipinion about a topic and voicing that, even angrily, doesn't make someone an angry old man. It makes for a person, who isn't afraid to express, how he/she sees it and is rather deeply effected by something. Nothing wrong with that in my book..

I don't see why he has to swear so much. I grew up on a council estate in Swansea. Ok, I do swear, but when i'm being interviewed (not for a film, of course but it's the same difference), i'm aware of how I might come across, so I choose my words carefully. Craig has been acting since I was in school, so he must surely be aware of how he must come across when he's swearing like a dock worker while being interviewed.

Yes, I am sure, he does know and chooses not to care, which, of course, sets him up for negative comments, which is fair enough also. He will never win a prize for best diplomat. Sure as hell, he is not.
    Germanlady wrote:
    Dr_Metz wrote:
    Germanlady wrote:
    "The fact that a guy who'd been in a band, owned an electric guitar and has probably had a spliff was Prime Minister really meant something, after years of John Major and Margaret Thatcher." He likes a politician because he maybe smoked pot once. It's not a clever opinion.

But that quote is from Oasis's Noel Gallagher, who ripped Blair for being manipulative after having met him..go back and read again.

Crap. I read it as "The fact that a guy who'd been in a band, owned an electric guitar and has probably had a spliff was Prime Minister really meant something, after years of John Major and Margaret Thatcher, Craig asserted." I have no idea why, considering they appear in different sections. I apologize, that was a giant mistake on my part. It's still a bad opinion however, no matter who says it, and I still stand by my other points. I'll leave it at this; Craig could have conveyed his opinion in a politer manner, there was really no reason for the swearing.
  • Just with regards with this here 'Bond uses profanities in interview' issue I can understand why some people may take issue with it, James Bond could well be seen as a role model to kids, well maybe not so much these days, and parents don't want to see their kids screen heroes sitting through interviews giving off 'colorful metaphors' here and there, I don't know Craig that well as an individual, I've seen some of his other work including swearing throughout such as Layer Cake for instance but that's no excuse really, maybe that's just him, he seems like a bit of a casual profanitist actually

Was going to add some more but I keep getting added replies involving rock group members, British politicians and things, all I can add is that maybe Craig has an intransigent characteristic where he seems justified in letting off some colorful language now and again, maybe what he does is his own business but can understand some peoples frustrations. No need to really add anymore to it
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 6,601
    I don't know Craig that well as an individual, I've seen some of his other work including swearing throughout such as Layer Cake for instance but that's no excuse really, maybe that's just him, he seems like a bit of a casual profanitist actually

Let me add just this: After following him for about 6 years now, I know as much about him as you possibly can without "knowing" someone and I think, the best, you can say about him is, that everybody, who ever worked with him or met him for a bit, keeps saying, what a real great guy he is. So - obviously he succeeds, where it really matters. He is said to be very intelligent (yes, but not good with words, which may give another impression) and hilariously funny, much to the surprise of people (but that is his own fault, as he seemed to be destined to keep that fact away from general knowledge for whatever reason).
    I have met him a couple of times and he always comes across as very down to earth, very likable and not big headed at all.
  • SharkShark Banned
    actonsteve wrote:
    As for CallmeDave going to Pinewood - shrieks of publicity stunt by Downing Street. Julian Felowes is of course an old establishment Tory who probably was fag to Cameron while they both dodged the headmasters cane at Eton.

Who knew George Galloway was a Bond fan?
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 4,622
    Germanlady wrote:

And whatever one might think of the swearing - at least he doesn't tries to change for the sake of being politically correct. With him you get what you see and whether one likes it or not, its at least honest - something you cannot say of THAT many people in the biz, I assume.
    What does constant swearing and cursing in media interviews have to do with being not-pc or honest.
    Answer: Nothing. It's just swearing. Its not deep. Nor is it reflective of some edgy character. It's just cursing. Any moron can swear. :ar! :ar! :ar!

timmer wrote:
    Germanlady wrote:

And whatever one might think of the swearing - at least he doesn't tries to change for the sake of being politically correct. With him you get what you see and whether one likes it or not, its at least honest - something you cannot say of THAT many people in the biz, I assume.
    What does constant swearing and cursing in media interviews have to do with being not-pc or honest.
    Answer: Nothing. It's just swearing. Its not deep. Nor is it reflective of some edgy character. It's just cursing. Any moron can swear. :ar! :ar! :ar!

I agree everytime he opens his mouth the language gets more noticed instead of the message. Which is perhaps a shame.
    But he makes a very bad ambassador for EON and 007.

Dr_Metz wrote:
    [

Crap.

Oh the irony of the poster berating Craig for swearing.
    I'm sure the man is a nice bloke to talk to and I'm far from a Craig disliker but it just seems a bit pointless and unnecessary swearing a lot in interviews. It's like he's showing off. I suppose Pierce did the same too - still, not good.
    If after 6 years the worst thing DC has done is utter some F bombs I don’t think Eon have anything to worry about regarding him being their Ambassador. May I add that the double standards being employed here is rather laughable as we fans haven’t exactly covered ourselves in glory considering how awash the forums are with the personal and vindictive war waged against this man which were much more denigrating than anything DC has said and done.

There are many more interviews and articles absent of swearing than there are with, but they don’t seem to register or attract the same attention, perhaps you can’t really carry out character assassination by mentioning the good.

To put things into perspective, the amount of tripe filled and less than stellar discussions on here, I doubt whether others reading our comments can be anymore impressed by us than the posters harping on about DC’s intellect and class.
    SaintMark wrote:

If that was so, EON would have stepped on his feet a long time ago. Obviously they don't feel, the Bond name is threatened by the way he acts. They probably feel, that whatever he brings to the role and how he makes it easy for them to have a successful colaboration more then makes up for whatever flaw there is.

Having said that, I don't mean to step on your point of view.

Germanlady wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:

If that was so, EON would have stepped on his feet a long time ago. Obviously they don't feel, the Bond name is threatened by the way he acts. They probably feel, that whatever he brings to the role and how he makes it easy for them to have a successful colaboration more then makes up for whatever flaw there is.

Having said that, I don't mean to step on your point of view.

Well compared with Sir Roger Moore we all look less than what we would like to.

I actually want DC to play the part well and finaly get a 100% (or as close as) good 007 movie. And when he talks about the movie I am interested (or any other movie) and for the rest I find his views the same as any Joe or Mary in the street. Only if they curse I kinda lose interest in listening and mostly walk away. If he had chosen his words more carefull I would have listened perhaps, but with the use of this language he does himself more a disservice than anything else.

And you don't step on my point of view. I just said that DC risks that his message is lost due to the choice of his wording/language.

St_George wrote:
    timmer wrote:
    I'd agree with you if you could point to other mature big name actors that routinely drop f-bombs in every interview they do, which are generally conducted in civilized, relaxed environments.

How do you know they don't? For all we know their publicists probably make sure any swear words are removed by the interviewers they meet.
    But we don't know. It's all speculative.
    But Craig's full-out B-52, f-bomb sorties are quite loud, quite clear, quite tangible, quite real - thus quite addressable. ~O)

• St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    edited January 2012 Posts: 1,699
    timmer wrote:
    St_George wrote:
    timmer wrote:

How do you know they don't? For all we know their publicists probably make sure any swear words are removed by the interviewers they meet.
    But we don't know. It's all speculative.
    But Craig's full-out B-52, f-bomb sorties are quite loud, quite clear, quite tangible, quite real - thus quite addressable. ~O)

To be honest, I'm a little surprised there's peeps on here who appear so irritated by it. Many things irritate me in life and swearing in public sometimes is one of them - but it's most certainly not top of my list. For me, there's really bigger fish to fry in the world right now... ;)
    Well I don't know if people are so much irritated by it, (maybe they are, he does use pretty strong language). I think people take notice and shake their head and wonder why he feels compelled to express himself like that, especially at his age and in such a public manner. It's just rather off-putting.