Your first Bond Movie/Bond actor: Is it/he your favorite? Has your opinion changed?

edited December 2011 in Bond Movies Posts: 4,762
If I can remember correctly, the first Bond movie I saw was From Russia with Love, and I have always had a strong liking to FRWL and hold it safely at #2 in my rankings. My opinion really will never change about FRWL! It is a downright classic all the way! As for my first Bond actor, it was really Pierce Brosnan with his likeness in Nightfire, so when it comes to Brosnan, I'm a little biased in his direction because of those great NF memories and memories of GE, which was one of the first Bond movies I saw after FRWL. How about all of you? Is your first Bond movie/Bond actor still your favorite or close to it?

Comments

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited December 2011 Posts: 16,330
    GoldenEye was my first Bond experience. The opening music of the Gun-barrel will forever be burned into my memory. I love everything about GE. Pierce is great in the role, the villain is played by the excellent Sean Bean. The Girls are good, I absolutely love the soundtrack to this movie, I don't care what anybody says. Eric Serra's score was nostalgic to me. I was 6 years old when I first saw this movie. I loved GE then and I love it now, my opinion will never change. :D
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited December 2011 Posts: 13,935
    Back in '94, I remember watching Bond films for the first time. I can't remember exactly which one I watched first, but what I do remember is there were three Bond films on TV within a two-week period. Now my first one was either FRWL, or a double feature of FYEO and TSWLM. Out of these last two, I know I watched FYEO first, because I fell asleep half way through TSWLM (not because I was bored, but because 10:30pm was a late night for me back then!) I never really chose between Connery and Moore as I felt they both did a shplendid job. Funnily, I do rank those three films FRWL/TSWLM/FYEO in my top 10- maybe even top 5. As I said above, FRWL was one of the first three I ever saw, and it remains my overall favourite for the time being. Having first discovered Bond at the impressionable age of 11 back in '94, I was just in time to see Brosnan step into the 007 shoes. My first cinema Bond was TND, and ever since then it's been tradition to see every subsequent film at the cinemas (sometimes twice, as we fans do). However, I don't regard Brosnan my favourite- or the best Bond, but I do have a soft spot for him having grown up with his films.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    my first Bond film - the one that got me into the franchise was Goldeneye (back when I was about 11 years old)... i then i saw Tomorrow Never Dies in the theater (my first ever Bond film in the theater).. so just breaking into the franchise, I thought Goldeneye and Brosnan were the absolute best - he was the essential Bond and played the role flawlessly...

the more i grew into the franchise, having then gone on a spending spree, buying all the VHS tapes i could find - my love for Pierce as Bond started to shift towards Connery, especially after watching From Russia With Love (which quickly cemented itself as my favorite Bond movie)... ever since, i started to notice more chinks in Brosnan's Bond armor - he wasn't so perfect anymore in my eyes, when watching actors like Connery and Dalton - they really took command of the role, and had a presence on screen.. where as i noticed Brosnan just seemed to casually strut along from scene to scene.... and now after watching Craig - who seems to have taken ahold of the role and made into his own in 2 films, my opinions on Brosnan have dropped again...

i try not to remain so concrete with opinions on Bond, because they can fluctuate depending on a mood i am in.... i prefer the more straight laced no nonsense thrillers like FRWL and CR - but i can also sit back and find enjoyment in the absurdity of the poorer films - i only rip apart and criticize when i am trying to explain why it sits so low on my list... even DAD is a decent background flick (meaning when i am busy doing something else, i'll usually throw it on - because it doesn't command that you pay attention lol).... but Brosnan does now reside on the lower end of the Bond totem pole for me - i still enjoy his movies.. but i feel like others before him, and a certain guy after him are much better in role....... but Goldeneye still remains as one of my top Bond films... i think the last ranking i did, i had it at #6
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    My first was GF, and Sean is my favorite. That isn't because GF was my first Bond viewing though, it's because he simply is supreme! >:D<
    Great topic.

My first Bond film was Licence to Kill (I believe I was about 8). It was on a TV marathon in the US when TBS Superstation ran the '15 Days of 007.' Needless to say I was immediately pulled into the film.

Ever since then LTK has had a nice sweet spot in my heart...I've noticed its faults over the years, but there's still something there that I really enjoy and still rate it somewhat highly. Timothy Dalton is still a Bond that I rate very favorably as well!
    Mine Connery in NSNA! I still love it and Connery is my favorite.
    Goldfinger was my first. It's still one of my favorite films in the franchise. It was such a perfect film to thrust me into the fandom. My next one was one of Moore's films, I think Moonraker.

I still like both actors take on the role.

TND was my first Bond in the cinema, and Brosnan was my first Bond seen on the silver screen. Not my favorite anymore. Although I do like all my Bonds-
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    GE was my first Bond film. Still holds a special place in my heart. But yes now my favorite Bond is Sir Rog.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    DN was my first and yes, Connery established himself in the role to such an extent I was worried at first that I'd never accept any other actor as Bond. It didn't help of course that after DN I saw GF, TB, YOLT then GF and TB again. Luckily though, my first non-Connery Bond was TSWLM. I say 'luckily' because I was plus or minus ten years old and what ten year old boy wouldn't be thrilled by all the action, spectacle and fantasy-ish elements (such as Jaws)? I grew into Moore's Bond with only this one film and from there on I faced little difficulty in accepting Dalton and Brosnan (later on). The only 'problem' I had - initially - was Lazenby. Though I consider him nowadays as a great Bond, I had to watch OHMSS twice just to come to terms with Lazenby. As for Craig, no issues whatsoever. The minute they announced him as Bond - well, five minutes after they had announced him - I went with the idea and I've been a supporter of Craig's since then.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited December 2011 Posts: 13,894
    YOLT was my first Bond film, and for a time, Connery was my favourite Bond. That was until I got to Dalton, whom knocked Connery of the top spot, and that how it's has been since. Connery's good, but he's no Dalton. B-)
    YOLT was my first Bond film, and for a time, Connery was my favourite Bond. That was until I got to Dalton, whom knocked Connery of the top spot, and that how it's has been since. Connery's good, but he's no Dalton. B-)

...and thats the sound of the worm can being opened up ;)
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    My first Bond movie was Live and Let Die, and thus first Bond was Roger Moore, however since Craig's smashing (the bathroom) introduction, he has definitely become my favorite Bond. I'm still not sure if I've ever actually had a favorite movie, though. I generally like them all equally, except when it comes to Goldfinger, Diamonds are Forever, Moonraker, Octopussy, A View to a Kill, The World is Not Enough and Die Another Day.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    The World is Not Enough

Finally we agree on something. ;)
  • Excellent topic...

My first Bond films were a double feature of GF and DAF on TV when I was 11 or 12. For a long time GF was my favourite Bond film, then it wavered between GF and FRWL, then FRWL and OHMSS (all the while DAF kept plummeting in my opinion - incredible to think that it was my second favourite for quite some time). Then it eventually settled down to OHMSS, FRWL, and then GF. Once CR came out it shot to my favourite, then OHMSS and then FRWL.

Connery was instantly cemented as Bond to me and while I acknowledge the possibilty that he might one day be displaced as my favourite Bond although it seems very unlikely (Craig certainly got a great start with CR; he's the one guy I could see surpassing Connery depending on the rest of his run). Quite simply Connery embodied everything about the man I wanted to be when I grew up and none of the other actors even came close. Moore especially was a "pretender" to me when I was around 13 years old - not cool, not tough, and women in the films only seemed to fall for him because the script demanded it (I've yet to meet any women who found Moore sexy and wanted to bed him - charming, yes, and even suave, but never a sexual being like Connery or Craig).

Since I was young my tastes have become a bit more inclusive - when you're young the things that are important to you are REALLY important to you and and I suffered from the "there can be only one!" attitude that a lot of 13 year old fans have (the actor I prefer rules! The actor you prefer sucks!). These days I can better appreciate the types of films and Bond performances that aren't to my own personal tastes but I'm sure I'm fairly set in my opinions. Interesting, though, that the more fantastical elements of the series have less interest for me the older I get...
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    The World is Not Enough

I think I need to explain myself here before you go patting me on the back: These are the films I like less than others.
    The World is Not Enough

I think I need to explain myself here before you go patting me on the back: These are the films I like less than others.

I understood that - I don't like TWINE myself, but I disagree with you on DAF, MR, OP and DAD - I love those outings.

• edited December 2011 Posts: 2,107
    Before Daniel Craig, in the tender age of 5 , I used to call Sir Rog as the Blonde Bond. That's why it hasn't bothered me, that Craig has blond hair. At least he doesn't have a surfer / platinum blond color. Just like Moore didn't have Connery's darker hair color.

I remember even drawing a comic "adventures of blonde bond" where I drew him to resemble Lucky Luke with Moore's blond hair and hairstyle from TSWLM :p
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 12,837
    I saw TLD 1st and its 2nd in my rankings, and dalton is still my fave bond
  • I don't remember which was the first Bond I saw, since my mother was a Bond fan when I was a kid, and we would watch whenever a Bond film was on TV. In the 70s/80s that was an event. My first in-theater Bond was Octopussy, and even though I'm generally a fan of the Connery/Dalton/Craig flavor of Bond, I've always had a soft spot for Octopussy.
    Murdock wrote:
    GoldenEye was my first Bond experience. The opening music of the Gun-barrel will forever be burned into my memory. I love everything about GE. Pierce is great in the role, the villain is played by the excellent Sean Bean. The Girls are good, I absolutely love the soundtrack to this movie, I don't care what anybody says. Eric Serra's score was nostalgic to me. I was 6 years old when I first saw this movie. I loved GE then and I love it now, my opinion will never change. :D

COMPLETELY AGREE!
    DAF was my first Bond movie. BUT, Roger is my favorite. As a young guy growing up, Rog's suave, smooth way with the Bond girls really appealed to me. And being that I appreciate a good sense of humor, that made Roger even more my favorite. Sadly, I don't think there will ever be a Bond like Roger, again. BUT the future really is hard to predict. So maybe the time will come when a Roger-type Bond will be right for the times. I hope I'm around to see it.
    Ellis wrote:
    DAF was my first Bond movie. BUT, Roger is my favorite. As a young guy growing up, Rog's suave, smooth way with the Bond girls really appealed to me. And being that I appreciate a good sense of humor, that made Roger even more my favorite. Sadly, I don't think there will ever be a Bond like Roger, again. BUT the future really is hard to predict. So maybe the time will come when a Roger-type Bond will be right for the times. I hope I'm around to see it.

Ah, we have a Moore fan in the house! Welcome to the club, I myself am a Roger Moore fan! I agree with you, he has a way with the ladies that makes him absolutely unmatchable in that field, and his humor cannot be topped by any other Bond to this day. No wonder he had the most Bond movies! He's a legend!
  • I can't remember which film I saw first because I watched them on t.v. as a kid. The first one I saw in theaters was DAD. I know the support of DAD is very slim, but as a first Bond experience it was awesome. Brosnan had a great performance and I still have a soft spot for the film. After many years of being engrossed in the Bond universe my opinions haven't changed much. I still love Brosnan and DAD is still a fun, albeit flawed, adventure.
    My first cinema Bond was TLD, which I loved. It's still one of my favourites, particularly the first half, which feels very Cold War, even tho its made only a couple of years before the wall came down. I rate Dalton still and wish he'd returned for GE. However, Sean and Rog' still battle for top spot imo.
    First movie I ever saw was DR NO
    and Sir Sean will always be my favorite Bond (despite the fact that he is not in my favorite films: OHMSS, LTK. CR)
  • edited December 2011 Posts: 11,425
    OHMSS and LTK? I like your style.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    My first film was Dr. No. I think Connery is great but also really love Dalton and Craig. I don't think I have 'favourites' to be honest.
    i feel sorry for the kids who grew up on brossa, the cardboard bond.
  • edited December 2011 Posts: 11,189
    Getafix wrote:

Don't. I did and I'm pleased he got me into 007. From what I remember a lot of longer term Bond fans liked him. Graham Rye for one.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Getafix wrote:

I bet the Connery kids said the same thing about people who grew up with Moore. It matters not. The Brosnans were the first I watched in the theatre but I had already watched most of the other Bonds on video or TV prior to seeing GE in '95. That said, had GE been my first Bond ever, I wouldn't have been a different Bond fan today.
This discussion has been closed.