Best Bond movies... that aren't Bond movies

George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Not a red herring
I thought I'd be interesting to highlight some of the non-Bond films that are very Bond-like in style and/or contain Bondian elements.

These can range from obvious things like exotic locations, gadgets, action scenes, music, humour, etc., to more abstract elements like themes, subject matter, etc.

I think we should limit this to films that are not outright parodies or anything that openly riffs on Bond.

Comments

• TheSkyfallen06TheSkyfallen06 Buenos Aires, Argentina.
    edited October 2023 Posts: 988
    The Rock (1996)
    MV5BZDJjOTE0N2EtMmRlZS00NzU0LWE0ZWQtM2Q3MWMxNjcwZjBhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDk3NzU2MTQ@._V1_.jpg
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Yeah that automatically came to mind. Still thinking on the OP.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQPXosfROhRac2BwZdh0Vg5P77jUsDZLP_u0MqlXP4-x_56XWuT
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    jwsvrmiueyod.jpg

True Lies
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited July 2023 Posts: 4,442
    The Italian Job (2003) and Sahara (2005) are uncredit written by Neal Pervis & Robert wade. You can see inspiration from Twine. When you watched Spectre with Car chase and villian lair possible get a bit of that vibe. And Oberhouser feels like villian from Sahara. Scene in Batman begins, Raoul scene in DAD and chacter in Mi4 looks very much think about Sahara.

Sahara-25.jpg
    Screams DAD and CR.

sahara_samsung_x30_2.jpg

There also be creaters of Johnny English where you can see same humor from Twine.. 3th movie refer to Goldeneye PTS.

I also have seen honest trailer about Spectre that claim the movie is very similar to Captain America 2 and startrek movie.
    How about the Fantômas series with Jean Marais, Louis de Funés and Mylène Demongeot ? Not only are the sets (especially the villain's lairs) reminiscent of early Bonds, but the second movie is strangely prescient : in it, we see a) a cigar pistol (like in YOLT), b) a car that turns into a plane (like in TMWTGG), and c) a parachute stunt where the hero attempts a rescue in freeflight (like in MR). And the third movie sees an early version of a portable DVD player. These three movies were filmed in the 60s.

• Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    MV5BNjNhOGZkNzktMGU3NC00ODk2LWE4NjctZTliN2JjZTQxZmIxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDk3NzU2MTQ@._V1_.jpg

Spy Game, 2001. This is the direction they should have gone in DAD after Bond's torture. It's a tense, thrilling cold war style film. There's a ticking clock running throughout the film and a great story. Redford and Pitt are both on top form and have great chemistry
    M_Balje wrote: »
    The Italian Job (2003) and Sahara (2005) are uncredit written by Neal Pervis & Robert wade. You can see inspiration from Twine. When you watched Spectre with Car chase and villian lair possible get a bit of that vibe. And Oberhouser feels like villian from Sahara. Scene in Batman begins, Raoul scene in DAD and chacter in Mi4 looks very much think about Sahara.

Sahara-25.jpg
    Screams DAD and CR.

sahara_samsung_x30_2.jpg

There also be creaters of Johnny English where you can see same humor from Twine.. 3th movie refer to Goldeneye PTS.

I also have seen honest trailer about Spectre that claim the movie is very similar to Captain America 2 and startrek movie.

That guy on the first picture looks almost like Craig.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    I love The Rock but never thought it felt like a Bond movie. Yes, there is SC and he was a former agent...and there is a car chase. But the rest differs a lot, doesn't it?
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited July 2023 Posts: 23,367
    "Who Dares Wins" Trailer (aka The FInal Option)

Awesome movie, LewisCollins is proto Daniel Craig Bond.

Final_Option_1983_original_film_art_1200x.jpg?v=1569045085

Who Dares Wins 1982 The SAS Raid in 4K HQ

Finale of the movie.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Gerard wrote: »
    How about the Fantômas series with Jean Marais, Louis de Funés and Mylène Demongeot ? Not only are the sets (especially the villain's lairs) reminiscent of early Bonds, but the second movie is strangely prescient : in it, we see a) a cigar pistol (like in YOLT), b) a car that turns into a plane (like in TMWTGG), and c) a parachute stunt where the hero attempts a rescue in freeflight (like in MR). And the third movie sees an early version of a portable DVD player. These three movies were filmed in the 60s.
    I have the Fantômas trilogy on Blu-ray and need to watch those films again. They are funny but they are spoofs, just like the Austin Powers and Johnny English and OSS-117 films (I think the latter are the best Bond parodies of them all). And as @George_Kaplan as the initiator of this thread said: "I think we should limit this to films that are not outright parodies or anything that openly riffs on Bond."

I love The Rock but never thought it felt like a Bond movie. Yes, there is SC and he was a former agent...and there is a car chase. But the rest differs a lot, doesn't it?

Keep in mind this film was, essentially, Michael Bay's dream Bond movie.
  • George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Not a red herring
    edited July 2023 Posts: 565

Finale of the movie.

This was actually the film that gave me the idea for this thread. I quite agree about Collins. This was the same year he was passed over for OP. I think he could've made a good Bond in the mold of Daniel Craig, and he had real-world credentials having served in the Territorial Army.

As for the movie, it's probably one of the most right-wing films I've seen, but it was pretty fun all the same.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland

Interesting, didn't know that. It is definitely the closest to Bond he ever made. The Rock is one of my favourite movies of all time. SC and Harris are splendid, Cage is Cage (which works fine here), the action is intense and much easier to follow than in many other similar films and I love the score and setting. Epic popcorn movie.

I never heaed of The Final Option before. Sounds interesting.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

Finale of the movie.

This was actually the film that gave me the idea for this thread. I quite agree about Collins. This was the same year he was passed over for OP. I think he could've made a good Bond in the mold of Daniel Craig, and he had real-world credentials having served in the Territorial Army.

As for the movie, it's probably one of the most right-wing films I've seen, but it was pretty fun all the same.

The film certainly pulls no punches, the narrative does not create much sympathy for the antagonists, being based on real life events influences perception.

The film itself has some great practical stunt by...

Bob Simmons also worked on the film.

Interesting, didn't know that. It is definitely the closest to Bond he ever made. The Rock is one of my favourite movies of all time. SC and Harris are splendid, Cage is Cage (which works fine here), the action is intense and much easier to follow than in many other similar films and I love the score and setting. Epic popcorn movie.

I never heaed of The Final Option before. Sounds interesting.

Its better known as 'Who Dares Wins' and I love it too. It has a cracking score from the always excellent Roy Budd. Apparently Collins could have been Bond, but if I recall, he met with EON, but didnt ingratiate himself with Cubby, and that was that!
    Roy Budd - Nature Of The Beast

I own the soundtrack it awesome, well the action tracks are.
  • M16_CartM16_Cart Craig fanboy?
    edited July 2023 Posts: 538
    Austin Power movies were better than a sizable portion of Bond films.

Not only that but Fat Bastard is a better henchman than the majority of henchmen.
    M16_Cart wrote: »

Not only that but Fat Bastard is a better henchman than the majority of henchmen.
    I think we should limit this to films that are not outright parodies or anything that openly riffs on Bond.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    edited July 2023 Posts: 8,692
    M16_Cart wrote: »

Fat Bastard was when the Austin Powers movies, while being mildly funny here and there initially, actually opted for completely toilet-potty humor, which then made Goldmember an absolute chore to sit through.

This is not to say that I like all Bond henchmen, especially not those in the Brosnan era.
  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    edited July 2023 Posts: 1,006
    I suppose it’s inevitable that someone bring up the M:I films, which, yes, are quite different - the emphasis being more on stunts and heists.

That being said, Rogue Nation is probably the most Bond-ish for me: the Vienna opera scene is straight one-upping Tosca in QOS and the Morocco scenes feel quite Bondy.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    The Inspector Clouseau films are quite Bond-like. Exotic locations, stories of international crime, danger, mystery, some intrigue, and a different leading lady each time.

And, unlike Austin Powers, Johnny English and OSS 117, the Clouseau films are not spoofs nor parodies. They're just comedies that happen to have Bondian elements.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    The ESCAPE FROM films with Snake Plissken are a variation on Bond.

Former military, very capable. More than a little world-weary. Working for the government (in this case, pressed back into service or it's jail/execution), who do not respect him and are ready to write him off, but appreciate his abilities. Receives a mission brief plus issue of clever gadgets and equipment. Works his way through very formulaic stories with a sacrificial lamb (a woman who expires VERY quickly on their first meeting), folks who've heard of him, folks who know him for better or worse, assaults on lairs, car chases, countdowns involved. Colorful villains and henchman. Hero is put to a (less than) sporting challenge. Surfing. Does things his way beyond orders. Enjoys a good smoke.

Entertaining action and character deaths. Shootouts. One-liners. Stunt (= celebrity) casting.

https://www.dexerto.com/tv-movies/escape-from-new-york-sequel-kurt-russell-rumored-to-return-as-snake-2070247/

giphy.gif
    escape-from-new-york-kurt-russell-movies-snake-plissken-wallpaper-preview.jpg
    tumblr_mh2jyxfcXn1qfr6udo8_400.gif
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    North by Northwest - haven't watched this in many years but definitely needs a mention. You've got the architecture like the Vandamm house, plane swooping that inspired FRWL, microfilms, Cary Grant who, from memory was Fleming's first choice to play Bond? Maybe many other elements, need to watch this one again.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    QBranch wrote: »
    North by Northwest - haven't watched this in many years but definitely needs a mention. You've got the architecture like the Vandamm house, plane swooping that inspired FRWL, microfilms, Cary Grant who, from memory was Fleming's first choice to play Bond? Maybe many other elements, need to watch this one again.

Yes, that's the one that I had in mind as well. It was a clear proto-Bond film and, as you say, the crop duster scene inspired the helicopter chase scene in FRWL. It's highly appropriate too that this thread was started by a certain @George_Kaplan. ;)
  • George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Not a red herring
    edited July 2023 Posts: 565

Certainly does deserve a mention. I think many Hitchcock films qualify as proto-Bond films, but especially NBNW. I know Cary Grant was Cubby Broccoli's first choice, but he was too expensive and unlikely to commit to more than one film.
    Dragonpol wrote: »

Yes, that's the one that I had in mind as well. It was a clear proto-Bond film and, as you say, the crop duster scene inspired the helicopter chase scene in FRWL. It's highly appropriate too that this thread was started by a certain @George_Kaplan. ;)

Very appropriate. Only I don't have dandruff and I'm only an inch shorter than Cary Grant!
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited July 2023 Posts: 4,442
    The Departed (2006). Cinematography/Production design in Skyfall and some scene's feels like this movie. Always get feeling John Logan working it. 2 years earlier he working on The Aviator from same directer.

Funny thing is that he does not official atleast working on NTTD whyle ''Children'' and ''people with thing'' be his theme. Example both lead chacters in The Aviator and Wolf Of Wallstreet bad child hood and are over worked. Get feeling he was responsible for Blofeld thing and Madeline/Oberhouser be worked much better in NTTD.

When there hired Bourne Ultimatum writer (Scott Z. Burns) for NTTD i must think about quistion aka DONE scene from Skyfall look like taken over from Bourne and X-men series with both starring Brain Cox in simalar chacters (In Wolverine and Deadpool be his X-men 2 chacter played by younger actors because of flashbacks). He also wrote Side Effects and in 2021 made fames again: Contagion (2011) about a (Corona) Virus. Quistion is what he contribute to NTTD, it was not enough for official credit. For Skyfall and Spectre there also inspyred by X-men first class. Example is None English parts. In X-men firstclass where speak French and German, whyle in Spectre it be German (The meeting), Spanish (Mexico) and French (Marocco). In NTTD there even go one step further and starts in French with a song of remake from 2020 (Because of delay of the movie till movie was released in 2021 we not even know it was offical made for movie who is based on a English song from 1968.)

Funny enough i use original in my Bond suport list and in to my 2019! list of Dutch Top 2000, the remake i at in my Top 2000 list of 2021 and 2022. I refer to Day Of Death in The Netherlands on the 4th of May (Spectre refer twice to Day Of Death, in Mexico and Italy with car chase) and Day of Freedom/Celebrating Life (5th May in The Netherlands) and Adele (Born on 05 May). 05 May = 09th May in French and UK.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    MV5BMGRjMjJlNTItNTljYi00ZjYwLTlmODQtMzQ1NTU4ZjA0ZmRlL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzc5MjA3OA@@._V1_.jpg

deadlier-than-the-male-3.png
    f4e7deb8a37876a965a75c808eb9feaa-e1520092237323-1132x509.jpg
    deadlier-than-the-male-2.png
    12009_5.jpg

My favourite Bond film knock off that isn't a Bond film.
    edited October 2023 Posts: 988
    Cars 2 (2011)
    Cars_2-593734717-large.jpg
  • Alfred Hitchcock's Secret Agent (1936)

On 10 May 1916, during World War I, British Captain and novelist Edgar Brodie returns home on leave, only to discover his obituary in the newspaper. He is brought to a man identifying himself only as "R", who asks him to undertake a secret mission: to identify and eliminate a German agent on his way to Arabia to stir up trouble in the Middle East.

I'd add Notorious and To Catch A Thief as the Hitchcock/Cary Grant trilogy.