Would you rather watch OP OR TLD?

19899101103104119

Comments

  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited May 22 Posts: 4,486
    Civilian with also no connection to villian or alies.

    I like to see more local guy or woman will return to help Bond. Nomi was part of Mi6 and not from there, don't count. Paloma was, Ana is from Cuba and send by Felix.
  • Posts: 229
    A civilian who gets thrust into the story like Kara or Honey is best.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Posts: 5,126
    Great discussion as always! Love the thinking of the choices and I must admit there were some new angles in here.

    Lets move on to another question. Bond actors have had varying degrees of success in other roles. Connery won an Oscar and perhaps had the career with the most mainstream appeal. In one movie there are even suggestions that he was still playing James Bond. Course I am talking about the movie The Rock.

    So lets do a non-Bond would you rather.

    Would you rather watch Sir Sean in The Untouchables OR The Rock?

    You can decide whether it's the full movie, his performance alone or any other determining factors for your selection.
  • ThunderballThunderball playing Chemin de Fer in a casino, downing Vespers
    Posts: 814
    Oh, absolutely The Untouchables. Partly because it's a far better film, partly because I think Connery is better in it.
  • edited May 23 Posts: 7,002
    The Untouchables
    One of the best cinema experiences, the audience I was with were really loving it!
    Despite Seans dodgy Irish accent ("ah, Jaysus!") He's great presence and it's still an entertaining watch, with a wonderful Ennio Morricone score!
    Coincidentally I just purchased it in 4k, only got it on Tuesday, looking forward to viewing it! again!
  • Posts: 978
    The Rock.

    I love both but The Rock is a Bond movie.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Posts: 14,253
    When untouchable force meets unmovable object.
  • Posts: 1,465
    Oh, absolutely The Untouchables. Partly because it's a far better film, partly because I think Connery is better in it.

    Agree, The Untouchables is terrific, but I do also enjoy The Rock for all its insane energy, madcap plotting and OTT characters.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Posts: 2,605
    The Rock
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Posts: 8,823
    The Rock. While The Untouchables is grandiose (and The Rock is quite ok), I hate to see Connery
    dying
    .
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Posts: 9,034
    The Untouchables. The only fault I have with Connery in this film is that I wish there was more of him before he "bows out"...
  • BennyBenny Shaken not stirredAdministrator, Moderator
    Posts: 14,954
    Both are great, I always like the line from Connery to Cage about losershhh and prom queens, in The Rock.
    It's a good action film, with Sean in fine form.
    But The Untouchables is the better movie, and gets my vote.
  • mattjoesmattjoes DAY OF THE BROSNAN
    Posts: 6,927
    The Rock, but I love both.

    "Welcome to the RocKKKK." A shot probably made with the trailer in mind!
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Posts: 6,853
    The Untouchables for me, it's an elegant film by a fine director.

    The Rock, while it's probably Bay's best film (which doesn't say a lot I must admit), is fine but I'm not too crazy about it. Without Sean I wouldn't even consider watching it.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Posts: 9,034
    The Rock, while it's probably Bay's best film (which doesn't say a lot I must admit), is fine but I'm not too crazy about it. Without Sean I wouldn't even consider watching it.

    Very good point @GoldenGun . I probably wouldn't have watched it if Connery wasn't in this film (just like I managed to miss most of Bay's flicks).

    Goes to show what star power did for films when we actually had, you know, stars.

    We are now down to just a handful of them and, the two biggest stars-- Denzel and Cruise-- are already in their 60s!
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Posts: 8,091
    I don’t enjoy THE ROCK like I used to. In all honestly, I rather watch BAD BOYS II because it’s not only better made but it is RIDICULOUS on every level that I get a lot more entertainment out of it. It’s an exercise in excess. THE ROCK is more respectable, but more dull.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Posts: 5,126
    Both films feature a great pairing.

    Cage and Connery work quite well and play off each other nicely. I like how Cage is the wimpy nerdy dude over his head and Connery is the wise man who brutally kicks butt. The ending as a nice send off and a sign of mutual respect. The Rock is a popcorn movie. Leave your brain at the door and just enjoy the ride. I think the cast is pretty strong so that elevates everything. Harris makes for an entertaining villain.

    Costner and Connery work in a similar fashion. Though Ness is more idealistic and I love how Malone slowly warms up to him. The line about wishing he'd met him years and pounds earlier is a great one. The banter is great and the church scene stands as a great scene. Malone likely realizes he's signing up for his own death but that is what makes the scene so powerful.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Posts: 9,034
    thedove wrote: »
    Both films feature a great pairing.

    Cage and Connery work quite well and play off each other nicely. I like how Cage is the wimpy nerdy dude over his head and Connery is the wise man who brutally kicks butt. The ending as a nice send off and a sign of mutual respect. The Rock is a popcorn movie. Leave your brain at the door and just enjoy the ride. I think the cast is pretty strong so that elevates everything. Harris makes for an entertaining villain.

    Costner and Connery work in a similar fashion. Though Ness is more idealistic and I love how Malone slowly warms up to him. The line about wishing he'd met him years and pounds earlier is a great one. The banter is great and the church scene stands as a great scene. Malone likely realizes he's signing up for his own death but that is what makes the scene so powerful.

    “That’s the Chicago way, and that’s how you get Capone” speech, 🤯…. I’m guessing he won his Oscar with that little monologue. So powerful, and yes, he must’ve realized he was marching towards his death.

    And what a brave death it was. When I was a kid, his final scene gave me a wicked case of popcorn-salt in the eyes, a terrible condition, lemme tell ya…
  • Posts: 14,910
    Although I find The Untouchables very flawed, I'll chose it. Because of Ennio Morricone's music, which lifts a rather average film. Because of the casting as well,,with the notable exception of Kevin Costner. Not that he's terrible as Eliot Ness. Bit he's just not very good and so bland compared to the others.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Posts: 9,034
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Although I find The Untouchables very flawed, I'll chose it. Because of Ennio Morricone's music, which lifts a rather average film. Because of the casting as well,,with the notable exception of Kevin Costner. Not that he's terrible as Eliot Ness. Bit he's just not very good and so bland compared to the others.

    Very true on both the soundtrack and Costner’s somewhat weak performance. I thought Garcia had great energy and if they gave him a few more scenes, he’d have stolen the film from Costner/Ness.

    When Malone pushes/tests him, the controlled rage from Stone-Garcia was perfectly played (as was Connery’s reaction).

    I may have to watch this this evening, 😂
  • Posts: 7,002
    The speech in the church "He sends one of yours to the hospital, you send one of his to the morgue!" Always reminds me of 'Mad' magazines spoof comic strip "He chops off a finger, you chop off a head!" 😂😂
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    Posts: 4,411
    I honestly don't remember much about The Untouchables. I have only seen it once a long time ago. I believe you all that it is the better made film but I have to chose The Rock.
    It was one of my favourite flicks as a +/-16 year old. And I'm still always in the mood for this popcorn action movie. I have watched it almost as often as the Bond movies. Great three main actors, awesome action, very good soundtrack and also two (a bit) dramatic scenes that gave it (at least a bit of) seriousness (the bathroom shooting always sticked in my mind).
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Posts: 5,126
    peter wrote: »
    thedove wrote: »
    Both films feature a great pairing.

    Cage and Connery work quite well and play off each other nicely. I like how Cage is the wimpy nerdy dude over his head and Connery is the wise man who brutally kicks butt. The ending as a nice send off and a sign of mutual respect. The Rock is a popcorn movie. Leave your brain at the door and just enjoy the ride. I think the cast is pretty strong so that elevates everything. Harris makes for an entertaining villain.

    Costner and Connery work in a similar fashion. Though Ness is more idealistic and I love how Malone slowly warms up to him. The line about wishing he'd met him years and pounds earlier is a great one. The banter is great and the church scene stands as a great scene. Malone likely realizes he's signing up for his own death but that is what makes the scene so powerful.

    “That’s the Chicago way, and that’s how you get Capone” speech, 🤯…. I’m guessing he won his Oscar with that little monologue. So powerful, and yes, he must’ve realized he was marching towards his death.

    And what a brave death it was. When I was a kid, his final scene gave me a wicked case of popcorn-salt in the eyes, a terrible condition, lemme tell ya…

    A great example of how a characters death can move you. I felt none of these salty tears when Bond passed and yet I have a 40 year relationship with the character. Yet this character I knew for 60 minutes I was crying. LOL!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Posts: 24,204
    The Untouchables its one of my favorite films, The Rock is fun though I rarely rewatch it.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Posts: 9,034
    thedove wrote: »
    peter wrote: »
    thedove wrote: »
    Both films feature a great pairing.

    Cage and Connery work quite well and play off each other nicely. I like how Cage is the wimpy nerdy dude over his head and Connery is the wise man who brutally kicks butt. The ending as a nice send off and a sign of mutual respect. The Rock is a popcorn movie. Leave your brain at the door and just enjoy the ride. I think the cast is pretty strong so that elevates everything. Harris makes for an entertaining villain.

    Costner and Connery work in a similar fashion. Though Ness is more idealistic and I love how Malone slowly warms up to him. The line about wishing he'd met him years and pounds earlier is a great one. The banter is great and the church scene stands as a great scene. Malone likely realizes he's signing up for his own death but that is what makes the scene so powerful.

    “That’s the Chicago way, and that’s how you get Capone” speech, 🤯…. I’m guessing he won his Oscar with that little monologue. So powerful, and yes, he must’ve realized he was marching towards his death.

    And what a brave death it was. When I was a kid, his final scene gave me a wicked case of popcorn-salt in the eyes, a terrible condition, lemme tell ya…

    A great example of how a characters death can move you. I felt none of these salty tears when Bond passed and yet I have a 40 year relationship with the character. Yet this character I knew for 60 minutes I was crying. LOL!

    Very true!!

    And in my case, I did bawl when Bond shuffled off this mortal coil. So cosmically, @thedove for every tear you didn’t shed for James, I took care of twelve buckets worth (yes, I’m sentimental— just don’t tell my kids!).
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Posts: 13,344
    The Untouchables is on a higher level and stands up over time. Very satisfying.

    The Rock is fun and once it gets moving it becomes better and better. But becomes dated today and has some unnecessary crass content in poor taste early on.

  • mattjoesmattjoes DAY OF THE BROSNAN
    edited May 24 Posts: 6,927
    The Rock is so cool, I love that they got Cage and Connery, so one's eccentric and histrionic and the other is cool-headed and suave. Reminds me of Connery and Rowan Atkinson in NSNA.

    I also love the scenes with Ed Harris. The film might be an OTT action movie, but his character has some very interesting dimensions to him, and they got just the actor to bring them out.

    Despite preferring The Rock, I also love The Untouchables, and don't find Costner unsatisfactory. I think he makes the character's nobility and heroism as compelling as they can be.

    I could go on, but I don't have time right now.
  • edited May 24 Posts: 978
    The Rock is an an interesting movie because the stakes are serious but the film is effortlessly funny.

    Yes, the actors elevate the whole thing but it is their job after all.
  • Posts: 684
    Seeing as Connery in The Rock is Bond in disguise then that swings it for me.
  • BennyBenny Shaken not stirredAdministrator, Moderator
    Posts: 14,954
    I do like the Bondian nods in The Rock, but I’ve never thought that the character of Mason IS James Bond.
    It’s just a couple of winks to Connery’s past, but nothing more.
    Connery’s mentor role as Malone in The Untouchables is a far better character, with Sean deservedly winning the Oscar for his work.
    Whilst his death scene is hard for many fans to watch, it’s a bloody good bit of acting.
Sign In or Register to comment.