Would you rather have a video game based on LALD OR TSWLM?

thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
edited April 26 in Trivia & Games Posts: 4,974
My oldest just got a game where you are posed with two scenario's and have to choose which one you would rather do. Thought it might lend itself to a thread. I will pose the two and then everyone weigh's in with their answers and why they chose what they did. Sound simple enough?

Would you rather watch Roger playing it light in Moonraker, or delivering a more grounded performance in For Your Eyes Only?

Consider just Moore's performance and not the film as a whole! Which film do you prefer Roger's performance? (side note, will we ever see a future Bond actor play the character different ways within their films?)

Comments

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I prefer Roger Moore’s performance in FYEO. It suits the film, and Rog appears to be enjoying it too. It’s one of his best performances imo
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited June 2023 Posts: 23,550
    I'm struggling as I like Moore's performance in both. However, I'll probably go with MR. Here's why. His performance in that film is constant. In FYEO, it's slightly more uneven. He's cold and deadly serious when taking on Loque and borderline parental when lecturing Melina on the cost of taking lives, but almost guffawing at wheelchair Blofeld and all but bursting into laughter when introducing himself to Melina during the car chase. Please understand that I'm not really criticising Moore here. It's the film, after all, that ping-pongs between these tonal extremes. In fact, kudos to Moore for navigating these flipping emotions so well. But MR benefits from an overall strong Roger.

Also, Moore helps to elevate MR. His charming presence is one of several awesome elements in that film that mask the silly plot. He was dealt a weaker card with MR, but he at least knew what to do with it and turn it into an ace.

And, @thedove, great idea for a thread! I hope it spawns some good debate without being flogged to death with over-analysis and over-intellectualization. Let’s just have some fun! :-D
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited June 2023 Posts: 3,390
    I'll go with MR, and to be honest, if that would be his last film, would've been great, it's probably his last Bond film where we saw him in his prime.

He's also great in FYEO, but that film was obviously made for a new Bond and younger Bond actor, it's different from the Moore Era, it's grounded and a bit gritty, and especially that PTS.

Even the Bond Girl (Melina) was meant for a younger actor, with Moore, especially his age was very uncomfortable to look at, Melina was almost like his daughter.

And it's different to see Moore in FYEO, it's a bit out of character for his Bond too, especially that it's already established by the time FYEO was released, it's just felt different compared to the other Moore Era Bond films.

Whereas in MR, it's Moore in his prime, the film that really fits his Bond, it's tailored for Moore, with FYEO it's really written for a new and younger actor.

I think MR would've been a better exit for Moore really, and especially that the film was a success at the time, it would end his Bond tenure in a high note.

I think FYEO would've been an excellent intro for Dalton.
    SIS_HQ wrote: »
    I'll go with MR, and to be honest, if that would be his last film, would've been great, it's probably his last Bond film where we saw him in his prime.

He's also great in FYEO, but that film was obviously made for a new Bond and younger Bond actor, it's different from the Moore Era, it's grounded and a bit gritty, and especially that PTS.

And it's different to see Moore in FYEO, it's a bit out of character for his Bond too, especially that it's already established by the time FYEO was released, it's just felt different compared to the other Moore Era Bond films.

Some may even wonder of Dalton being in FYEO as some scenes in the film looked like it's written with him in mind, the most obvious example was the scene of Bond warning Melina when she followed him in Cortina, after Bond saved her from the motorcycle attackers and when they're in that carriage, it felt like it's written for Dalton's Bond.

It didn't even helped that Moore's already old by FYEO

Whereas in MR
    , it's Moore in his prime, the film that really fits his Bond, it's tailored for Moore, with FYEO it's really written for a new and younger actor.

54 versus 52 doesn't really count as a big difference, now does it? ;-)

But I get what you're saying. In truth, I think Moore's age didn't really show that much until AVTAK due to what I now understand were unfortunate cosmetic choices.
    DarthDimi wrote: »

Some may even wonder of Dalton being in FYEO as some scenes in the film looked like it's written with him in mind, the most obvious example was the scene of Bond warning Melina when she followed him in Cortina, after Bond saved her from the motorcycle attackers and when they're in that carriage, it felt like it's written for Dalton's Bond.

It didn't even helped that Moore's already old by FYEO

Whereas in MR
    , it's Moore in his prime, the film that really fits his Bond, it's tailored for Moore, with FYEO it's really written for a new and younger actor.

54 versus 52 doesn't really count as a big difference, now does it? ;-)

But I get what you're saying. In truth, I think Moore's age didn't really show that much until AVTAK due to what I now understand were unfortunate cosmetic choices.

Yes, might not that far off, but the change in Moore's look from MR to FYEO was really big and obvious, the difference.

In MR, he still looked a bit young, with FYEO, he really aged fast, I don't know if it had something to do with his skin, his hair, I don't know, but he really looked old in FYEO, compared to MR.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    I would choose Moore in MR, I find FYEO to be the better film, but Moore hits all the right notes in his performance in MR. From the quail hunt scene, to the fight in the glass works, Moore plays to his strengths. I find the portrayal in Eyes to be good but I sense his heart isn't in it. The scene with the kick off the cliff is jarring and yet I don't feel the sense of danger or the ruthlessness of the scene. Picture Connery or even Dalton doing that kick and it would have more gravitas.

My pick is MR! Thanks for the love @DarthDimi lets hope this thread can stay fun and entertaining!
    While neither are Moore's best performances as Bond, I'd personally take his efforts in MR over FYEO. I have a number of issues with that film and the writing of Bond anyway, but for me it's not necessarily a case of Moore delivering a more 'grounded' performance. He's actually rather comical at times, especially when he has to evade Bibi's attempts to sleep with him. By contrast there's much of MR that he plays 'straight'.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    FYEO. Moonraker grows on me last years, i have movie now higher then Goldfinger.
    Okay lets have another fun would you rather!

Would you rather have dinner with Francisco Scaramanga or Dr No?
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Scaramanga. Better location, Nick Nack on the cooking duties and Maud & Britt there too.
    Dr. No, because he treated his guests better, gave them shower, coffee and decent clothes to wear, pure hotel service!
    Dr. No was courteous and welcoming.
    Dr. No was even inviting Bond to join SPECTRE, so he's just being friendly and kind.

And that Dinner scene wasn't that scary or threatening as with Scaramanga where the guy's holding a gun while we're eating, and we're not that sure if the food is safe, because he's really menacing in the way he talked to us, I couldn't eat well, I would get scared and nervous, even Bond was anxious in that dinner scene.

Compare it to Bond in Dr. No's dinner, he's still cool and relaxed, he could talk to Dr. No with so much ease.

With Scaramanga, Bond was really nervous and uncomfortable.

Scaramanga was a very scary man to be with, he would challenge you, and there's a strong sense of betrayal against his supposed calmness.

So I would go with Dr. No's dinner.
    I feel Dr. No’s the kind of guy who will give you dinner and then just kill you regardless.

With Scaramanga on the other hand unless you get in his way or pose a threat I can imagine him letting you live.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Scaramanga seems like a more fun guy to hang out with. I'd rather have dinner with him. Also, as mentioned, Andrea and Goodnight might be there on the island with him. And after some mushrooms (I mean dinner, not drugs), Scaramanga, Nick Nack, the girls and me could hit the streets of Macau or Bangkok, and discover what the nightlife has to offer. Then Scaramanga and me would have a duel. I could die but I'd rather die getting shot at than drowned like Honey Ryder. Also, I'd have a chance to win against Scaramanga, small as it might be.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I just made myself a Bloody Mary and thought of "Nicknack! Tabasco!". So I guess I'll pick Scaramanga.
    I will sit down with Dr No, join him (since I am not a stupid police man) and wonder about that one million dollar aquarium. I want him to teach me all he knows about radioactivity. I will even run his obstacle course. But all of this on one condition: a hot blonde in a phenomenal bikini by my side.
    I was thinking that Dr. No has a monotonous voice and might bore one to tears. However the dinner is elegant and he has style and grace. Scaramanga also has style bt he has an underlying threat that might un-nerve a guest. I think I am with @DarthDimi give me a date the likes of Honey and I will put up with Julius No!

Good answers so far! Lets see if others chime in!
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    Definitely Dr No. Elegant surroundings, fish to watch, nice clothes on loan.

But both of them talk about themselves way too much to make conversation interesting.
    Agent_99 wrote: »
    Definitely Dr No. Elegant surroundings, fish to watch, nice clothes on loan.

But both of them talk about themselves way too much to make conversation interesting.

@Agent_99. I misjudged you. You have damaged my organisation and my pride. You are nothing but a stupid police man.

DrJuliusNo.jpg
    What a conundrum Dr.No has a cool underground lair, with an awesome aquarium.
    Scaramanga has a cool island, with fantastic views from the dining room.
    Both have blondes in bikinis.
    Both hosts wouldn’t hesitate to kill me, but I think Dr.No would be less hesitant to kill me, he’s very intelligent, and I’d have Honey to….admire.
    Dr.No gets my vote.
    Benny wrote: »
    Both hosts wouldn’t hesitate to kill me, but I think Dr.No would be less hesitant to kill me, he’s very intelligent, and I’d have Honey to….admire.
    Dr.No gets my vote.

Plus a free hotel service style with free shower, coffee, blue robes, free clothes, man! What more could you ask for?

Dr. No was very caring towards his guests.

Scaramanga never did that to his guest! Plus I'm afraid that he would also likely to have my vehicle destroyed with his Solex Agitator, yeee, I mean look at what he'd done to Bond's plane?
    Benny wrote: »
    Dr.No gets my vote.

Plus a free hotel service style with free shower, coffee, blue robes, free clothes, man! What more could you ask for?

Dr. No was very caring towards his guests.

Scaramanga never did that to his guest! Plus I'm afraid that he would also likely to have my vehicle destroyed with his Solex Agitator, yeee, I mean look at what he'd done to Bond's plane?

The shower was too 'clean off' the radiation from the swamp. Though, Bond and Honey did seem to enjoy it. The coffee however was drugged. Not really a nice thing too do to guests.
    He also chained Honey up in room, that would've seen her drown if she wasn't saved by Bond.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited June 2023 Posts: 6,788
    Give me Scaramanga's sunny view over underground lairs. Also Nick Nack is a good cook, I heard. And that Dom Pérignon at arrival sounds just the right kind of starting point for interesting conversation :))

Given my nickname, I'm sure he'll see me :p
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    Give me Scaramanga's sunny view over underground lairs. Also Nick Nack is a good cook, I heard. And that Dom Pérignon at arrival sounds just the right kind of starting point for interesting conversation :))

Given my nickname, I'm sure he'll see me :p

Oh no, he's here! @GoldenGun I'm afraid! 😧
    @GoldenGun
    Didn't Dr No serve up a Dom Perignon during dinner? And that dinner, by the way, looked delicious!
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    @GoldenGun
    Didn't Dr No serve up a Dom Perignon during dinner? And that dinner, by the way, looked delicious!

You got me there, mate. Seems I'm more forgiving towards Scaramanga than towards the dear old doctor :))

I did notice an extended collection of wine too though, and a junk :p
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    @GoldenGun

You got me there, mate. Seems I'm more forgiving towards Scaramanga than towards the dear old doctor :))

I did notice an extended collection of wine too though, and a junk :p

"That's a Dom Pérignon '55. It would be a pity to break it."
    "I prefer the '53 myself."
    "Clumsy effort, Mr Bond. You disappoint me."
    I must say I love all the thought and fun that is going into these answers. I miss the days of Bond villains having style and class. There was a snobbery to them that always made Bond needling them more interesting.

Okay lets take this into another direction:

Would you rather report to Bernard Lee's M or Judi Dench's M?
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    Bernard Lee. Judi is definitely more likely to send me on a death mission and I prefer cognac to bourbon.
    Bernard Lee M, by a landslide!

Judi Dench M is a terror and arrogant, and would be hesitant to save me alive! Remember in Skyfall: "Take The Shot!" and I don't want to work with a boss who have a secret past and personal problems that would later involve me in! (See: Elektra and Silva).

And as Tanner described her: "The Evil Queen of Numbers" :-SS
    I too will go with Bernard Lee’s M.
    For 11 films he was one of the few people who could tell 007 what to do, and someone for whom Bond had respect for.
    He knew what Bond was capable of, and trusted his best agent to do his job.
    I love Judi Dench, but she never really seemed believable to me as James Bonds boss M.
    It kind of felt like Judi Dench in a Bond movie.
    Maybe that’s unfair. She certainly gave a lot to the series. But Bernard Lee is my favourite.