New Bond TV Show - 007: Road to a Million

123457»

Comments

• MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    The structure and edit is based on how all of the teams do I guess. And when half of them dont make it past round 2, it means you have to focus and pad out more the ones who do.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    I will be shocked if:

1. a season 2 actually happens
    2. it's anything like season 1
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    I don't think it's helped by the fact that Prime Video are notorious for releasing their programs, even their big IP, into the wilderness with hardly any promotion at all.

I'm not sure the many buses around where I live which have 007 all over the sides of them would agree with that!
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    edited November 2023 Posts: 4,974
    Little to no promotion on this side of the pond. I am in Canada. There has been nary a poster, billboard or anything mentioning this series.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I gave the series a go. It's not for me, as much as I enjoy listening to Brian Cox.

I'm sure there'll be plenty out there who'll enjoy it, though.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    thedove wrote: »
    Little to no promotion on this side of the pond. I am in Canada. There has been nary a poster, billboard or anything mentioning this series.

I guess it's really a British show rather than a global one, which I was surprised by.
    @CraigMooreOHMSS - I wonder how many days of actual work BC did on this show.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    thedove wrote: »
    Calvin Dyson reviewed it and stated that if you can make it to episode 3 you would enjoy the remaining ones.

The choice to have it not be a typically edited reality program makes you wonder what they were thinking. He said, I haven't watched so I am going entirely on his review, that really only 4 of the teams really feature in and even then one team gets most of the focus. That in some of the episodes the editing suddenly thrusts you back to Scotland to see other teams there and that it's quite jarring.

I wonder why they edited the program that way? I was envisioning a more "Amazing Race" style show with some Bond flourishes.

It's hard to say having barely seen some of the teams, but having worked in reality tv (thanks to the strikes) generally speaking, if the teams/contestants don't say or do much, there really isn't much footage they can include.

If you compare the nurses to the brothers or married couple, their approach was very calm and level headed, and they didn't say all that much. The brothers and married couple however were constantly talking through each challenge/question, almost explaining the show as they went along. Now this really is where Brian Cox should have come in and talked through the premise and goal of the show, rather than basically leaving that to the teams. This would have possibly allowed for a bit more even screen time amongst the teams, something I hope is tinkered with next season.

It is also possible that the teams eliminated early on where hopelessly lost in the Scottish Highlands and barely featuring them was the kinder option. I don't think EON would want to intentionally embarrass or make the teams look bad.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    So I just finished it and enjoyed it. I'll place the rest in spoiler tags from here on.
    So it's definitely true that no one in this show are Bond fans. They have no clue about any of the locations, cars, references etc. And there were plenty. D.R.A.X being the door code for the cable car scene that the brothers compete in straight out of Moonraker. You had all of the car references. The brothers hanging at Goldeneye. Hector Gonzalez, the desert train station from QOS, Crab Key/trespassers will be eaten. The list goes on.

For those who didn't get through the first episode, you can probably just start at the third and go from there. It's when it really kicks off.