New Bond TV Show - 007: Road to a Million

Comments

• delfloria wrote: »
    Burgess wrote: »
    I don’t really understand how this idea is so disliked when fans spend hundreds, if not thousands, to dress, smell, eat, travel, train and look like Bond.

See, I tried doing this once. Then some random guy yelled at me, “You smell like an ashtray! And what’s with the dumb yellow bathrobe? And who brings scrambled eggs to eat at the opera anyway?!” It was then that I realized I could never be James Bond, not even with my impeccable approximation of an Australian accent.

Just wait til you try out the Blue Romper the next time you are in Miami.

Hope springs eternal.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Wait, this is reality TV? /:)
  • Damn. For a minute I thought this was a live action Bond TV series. My heart sank immediately when I saw it was yet more reality tv nonsense. I want a proper TV show.
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    I hope that they don't get to use The Bond Theme willy nilly. It's been diluted enough.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited March 2022 Posts: 3,382
    I'm really anxious about this one.
    Who will be the host? Calvin Dyson? David Zaritsky?
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I imagine this is EON’s way of throwing a bone at Amazon just so they get off their backs in creating a Bondverse TV franchise.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    edited March 2022 Posts: 1,351
    MI6HQ wrote: »
    I'm really anxious about this one.
    Who will be the host? Calvin Dyson? David Zaritsky?

Oh my god. It probably won't go there, but Zaritsky is probably furiously calling people at the moment trying to get in on the show in some way.

What I do wonder is how far the Bond cosplay element is going to go. Because in the releases I've seen so far, they only talk about Bond locations being the hook. There is mention of physical challenges and contestants having to answer questions. It seems obvious that both of those would be connected to the scenes taking place at the locations they visit, but it could still simply be an Amazing Race clone with a Bond skin on top and very little connection to the actual films. If they are actually going ahead and f.e. have people ski down from Piz Gloria or whatever, wouldn't there be more focus on contestants having to "Be like Bond" or something like that?

PS:
    mtm wrote: »
    Which locations do you think will appear? I’d imagine Piz Gloria and Phuket are safe bets.

Very likely those with the most active and best-funded tourism board or a big resort with a marketing budget next to it, to be quite honest. I'm quite cynical, but I do assume the locations will not be chosen on merit but rather by production necessities and budget probably plays into that quite heavily. If Eon knows one thing it's how to maximize tertiary budget streams...
    If Moonraker they'll do that in space!
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Even though this was in the works long before the MGM-Amazon deal, it may be enough to get Amazon off EON's backs for a while. A compromise of sorts between Amazon wanting to mine their newly acquired IP's and EON not wanting to do spin-offs. It's not ideal, or even remotely appealing, but might be enough to keep everyone satisfied while the true nature of this deal comes to light.
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    You'd think all energies applied to getting the next entry out in two to three years would have been an adequate substitute.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I doubt Michael and Barbara have any substantial involvement in this. At best, all they likely did was have an approval of this project while they were busy looking at bank statements.
  • edited March 2022 Posts: 440
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    Even though this was in the works long before the MGM-Amazon deal, it may be enough to get Amazon off EON's backs for a while. A compromise of sorts between Amazon wanting to mine their newly acquired IP's and EON not wanting to do spin-offs. It's not ideal, or even remotely appealing, but might be enough to keep everyone satisfied while the true nature of this deal comes to light.

Amazon has been trying to splash some serious cash around now in the TV department as so far they have had relatively few popular originals and those that have been (pre-2020s) were usually co-productions with other networks.

I honestly wouldn't be too surprised if this was mostly developed as a generic premise with the action franchise whose locations and iconography would be used, to be determined later.

And it being Bond, came about as soon as Amazon decided to buy MGM. Hence why it was announced so quickly.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    I'm curious to see if / how involved EON's regulars are in this. If we start seeing familiar names popping up among the crew, could they also be doing a little B26 location scouting on the side.
    See, that’s a hook I could get into. Chris Corbould comes up with some kind of stunt or Purvis & Wade (or whomever) pitch a scene and we follow the Head of Location Scouting (forgot his name) around the world trying to find the perfect fit for it. Or even re-do classics.: There are loads of luxury trains around the world, which one would be best for a re-make of FRWL? Something like that.

But I guess there’s very narrow appeal to that.
  • This could be fun. What's the harm?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited March 2022 Posts: 14,861
    I doubt Michael and Barbara have any substantial involvement in this. At best, all they likely did was have an approval of this project while they were busy looking at bank statements.

Yes it’s being made by 72 Films, not by Eon Productions, so I would have thought it will distract the producers from the next film about as much as any licensed book or documentary with the Bond name does.

It could be fun, who knows. If it’s like Race Across The World but they go to lots of Bond-style locations, showing off some super exclusive top hotels in stunning locations and that sort of thing, I think it could be worth a look. Hopefully they don’t end up doing naff things like driving a couple of Astons around an empty racing track though.
    Or they could even throw in a bit of Hunted on Channel 4: that show where people have to disappear anywhere in the country and a surveillance team are trying to find them using CCTV and the like, that show can actually be quite exciting.
    mtm wrote: »

Yes it’s being made by 72 Films, not by Eon Productions, so I would have thought it will distract the producers from the next film about as much as any licensed book or documentary with the Bond name does.

It could be fun, who knows. If it’s like Race Across The World but they go to lots of Bond-style locations, showing off some super exclusive top hotels in stunning locations and that sort of thing, I think it could be worth a look. Hopefully they don’t end up doing naff things like driving a couple of Astons around an empty racing track though.
    Or they could even throw in a bit of Hunted on Channel 4: that show where people have to disappear anywhere in the country and a surveillance team are trying to find them using CCTV and the like, that show can actually be quite exciting.

My wish are some of the Bond actors/actresses appearing as guest (whether they are a bond actor/bond girls or villains) or maybe appearing in the show to help one of the contestants, for example: Dalton, Lazenby, Craig, Brosnan, Britt Ekland, Maud Adams, Famke Janssen, or Rosamund Pike will appear on the show as guests, helping those contestants or giving challenges to them, or they can be the ones who will give the prize to the winner.
    Have any of you here watched the Running Man Show in Korea?
    I think something like that would be the best possible show (at least for us Bond fans), but they haven't even hinted in that direction in the press releases. They are still casting, so it's early days, but if they had former actors lined up, wouldn't they announce that? Same with the Bond style challenges. If they actually did something like racing in Astons or climbing up the rocks in Meteora or whatever, they would have put in something about "Being Bond" or "recreating breathtaking moments". Instead it's just sometihng along the lines of "there will be physical challenges and contestants have to answer two questions per location."
    This could be fun. What's the harm?

I don't think there is any harm. People say it cheapens the brand, but honestly they've done much worse things in the past. The other thing I've read is that people see this as the beginning of Amazon breaking open the franchise. The first step towards spin-off TV shows and all that. I don't really buy that, but we'll see.

The upside (aside from just more possibly interesting content) is probably something like Drive to Survive, the Formula 1 docu/reality series on Netflix. The comparison is a bit skewed. It's not the same thing (I'd love a 10-part making of for the next film, though), but that show has lead to a massive uptick in interest in the sport specifically in the US, even though hardcore fans say it's a pretty bad depiction of what is actually going on.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator

As others have said, tacky shit!
    This isn't my idea of something I'd want to associate with James Bond.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I think something like that would be the best possible show (at least for us Bond fans), but they haven't even hinted in that direction in the press releases. They are still casting, so it's early days, but if they had former actors lined up, wouldn't they announce that? Same with the Bond style challenges. If they actually did something like racing in Astons or climbing up the rocks in Meteora or whatever, they would have put in something about "Being Bond" or "recreating breathtaking moments". Instead it's just sometihng along the lines of "there will be physical challenges and contestants have to answer two questions per location."

Yeah I'd be surprised if any actors turn up. Well, maybe some lesser known Bond girl or two to ask a quiz question here or there, something like that; but I think you're right, they probably won't lean on the Bond thing too hard.
    Is this show related to the MGM-Amazon deal?
    MI6HQ wrote: »
    Is this show related to the MGM-Amazon deal?

Not really. 72 Films, the company producing the series, reportedly started developing it 4 years ago. So way before the merger. They are also independent. It's not an Amazon Studios show.
    But on the other hand, I think we can safely assume that Amazon now being in the Bond business helped in them greenlighting the project.
    So it most likely isn't the product of some big Amazon-MGM-EON meeting where they mapped out the phases of the Bond universe to include all kinds of spin-offs, but there might have been a meeting about Bond and they decided that this thing they've had in the pipeline anyway can go ahead now that the merger is through..

Two asides:
    I just took a look at the 72Films website and in the casting call there it says "Do you and your teammate have the skills and general knowledge to win?" I really don't think the challenges will be Bond heavy.
    When trying to apply, they ask you whether you will be able to take time off over 7 periods within a year and whether one is flexible between now and the end of Feb 2023. So I'd say we're looking at up to 7 locations (maybe one or two of the timeslots are for briefing and training?) and with shooting done by February next year probably a release in late summer?
  • quantumspectrequantumspectre argentina
    edited March 2022 Posts: 61
    wonder how will be, looks like the amazing 007 race
    I think this sadly will cheapen the brand and franchise? How about creating a James Bond world/Theme park. Amazon definitely has the money! Look how popular the Harry Potter attraction is!
    Don't give them any ideas.

But I just had an idea that is only tangentially related to Road to a Million:
    Do we think there is a chance Amazon will get Eon to licence a bit more down to earth merchandise? Because that's a part of the brand that could do with some cheapening.
  • TheSkyfallen06TheSkyfallen06 Buenos Aires, Argentina.
    I imagine this is EON’s way of throwing a bone at Amazon just so they get off their backs in creating a Bondverse TV franchise.
    Nope, Barbara Broccoli Already Said That They're Not Making Any Bond TV Shows, Just "Movies For The Cinemas".
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

Do we think there is a chance Amazon will get Eon to licence a bit more down to earth merchandise? Because that's a part of the brand that could do with some cheapening.

Even the "simpler" bits of merchandise and props and whatnot are at ludicrous prices. Think I saw a new 007 cologne that was a small bottle for a few hundred dollars. Who's buying this stuff?
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Even the "simpler" bits of merchandise and props and whatnot are at ludicrous prices. Think I saw a new 007 cologne that was a small bottle for a few hundred dollars. Who's buying this stuff?

I had seen that they had put out a perfume together with Floris. I had not seen that they sell it for 200 pounds. Bloody hell.