How fantastical should Bond 26 be?

2»

Comments

I've always said that QOS feels Fleming-esque in some places, intentional or not. The water supply plot seems on the surface a bit bland for a Bond story, but it acts as a vehicle for Bond to slowly uncover these characters/schemes, much as the gold coin plot in LALD does, or the diamond smuggling operation in DAF. I rather like Green as a villain with his bug eyes, short stature and streak of sadism. Again, he feels more akin to a Fleming villain with his appearance and twisted personality.

That said, I do wish QOS had leaned slightly away from that 'grounded realism' and embraced that good old fashion Bond absurdity a bit more. Even the LALD novel had all these references to voodoo and fortune tellers, and DAF had a renovated Western ghost the villain used.
  • EmilioLargoEmilioLargo Dublin, Ireland
    Back to a 60's setting my friends. No modern stifling etiquette to deal with just cold hard espionage with a tinge of the fantastical. The recent remake of Ipcress File had great style and appeal and I think that's what's lacking today. Bond needs to be the trendsetter again and not try to carbon copy MI movies which seem to have cornered that market. A new Bond, a new era and perhaps a change of writers. The anticipation for Bond 26 is already there. All they have to do is deliver.
    I've never seen the appeal of setting a new Bond film in the 50s/60s if I'm honest. Just on a purely practical level it won't happen (the sponsorships often hinge upon modern brands/items).

Creatively, I'm not even sure it'd give us that escapist, fantastical adventure that a lot of people want from a Bond film. More likely it'd be very referential to the time period, full of superficial nostalgia, very self-conscious about the changing social trends starting to appear, Bond's place in the world, how he treats women, his attitudes towards a myriad of things which aren't seen as acceptable anymore but are in this time frame etc. So more Mad Men than the 60s Bond films.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    While not dealing with cloning, as was speculated, some feel that NTTD veered into the realm of science fiction. The technology in many of the Bond films has often been a step ahead of what was possible when they were made; NTTD was no exception. No doubt future films will continue to push the envelope.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11042835/House-intelligence-committee-speaks-new-DNA-bio-weapons-target-single-person.html?fbclid=IwAR2rc8yPYaRXQ_Rakc2WPNJ2aQuXIqKzpDPfrK3TUPfxqHFFxwB8JE2H9_A
    Agent Under Fire and even CR'67 had cloning plots, so why not? Much like the concept of nanobots it's not an uncommon premise for a spy story anyway even outside of Bond.

I would say that NTTD did do something different with the nanobot concept though. They weren't just these things that destroyed buildings/material objects etc. but acted as a sort of weaponised virus. So while it's vaguely absurd, it has just enough basis in reality to be plausible, albeit in the universe of the film.

If anything I'd like to see a brainwashing type plot, perhaps with some sort of tech included. So not unlike TMWTGG's opening or the Ipcress File.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    For Bond 26: robots named Connie and Goldfinger's twin. Nothing more, nothing less.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Clones. Androids. Time travel. Space aliens. Zombies. I don't expect or want any of these in the next film. Though Zombie Bond is my longtime idea. Nanobots, smart blood, and the bionic eye worked fine.

At this point I do trust the producers for how fantastic or otherwise they plan to make it. Fantastic is cooked into their formula.

Clones. Androids. Time travel. Space aliens. Zombies. I don't expect or want any of these in the next film. Though Zombie Bond is my longtime idea. Nanobots, smart blood, and the bionic eye worked fine.

At this point I do trust the producers for how fantastic or otherwise they plan to make it. Fantastic is cooked into their formula.

Bring all the Bond actors in. Those who've passed - or those who still live and breathe but are in no mood to break a bone or spend the time - can appear by CGI if their heirs kindly would consent. Group mission, a la an MI group mission, except the members of the group all are Bond or colleagues. How ? Benedict Cumberbatch shows up and makes one of those swirly portal thingies appear. Oh, hell - YES bring in all the Bonds from CR '67 and Barry Nelson, too ! As well as the voice - somehow, just the voice - of Toby Stephens. Wanna REALLY get trippy ? (As if this were not enough) How about we look to the perhaps the most famous video of Bond theme performer aHa, and have animated Bond appear among all the "real world" people ? Ok...too much ? as Dr. Evil might ask. Fine, then produce it as a Teaser for when the next movie is soon to release. Sure, it might cost more to produce than the next film, but, y'know, as Dr. Kananga might say, Go Big or Go Home !
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited July 2022 Posts: 3,382
    I'd liked Bond 26 to have these:

1. Balanced in tone, there's thrill, mystery, drama, action, and fun.
    2. Good story and plot
    3. Beautiful cinematography and colorful palettes.
    4. It should not just be fantastical, it should be captivating.
    5. Engaging characters

That's what all I asked for a film (not just Bond films, but any other films in general).
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    MI6HQ wrote: »
    I'd liked Bond 26 to have these:

1. Balanced in tone, there's thrill, mystery, drama, action, and fun.
    2. Good story and plot
    3. Beautiful cinematography and colorful palettes.
    4. It should not just be fantastical, it should be captivating.
    5. Engaging characters

That's what all I asked for a film (not just Bond films, but any other films in general).

I’m sold.,