Share your story ideas for BOND 26

Comments

• echoecho 007 in New York
    Bond goes after a serial killer and the mystery of whether the killer is acting alone or on behalf of an organization should be the main focal point. The killer will have a lot more screentime as they have none to share with any henchmen, so their creep factor can be emphasized upon while Bond is reached out by the family members of a victim who was killed in the crossfire to add the angle of how public civilians were impacted by the actions of 007 on his duty.

The villain's creep factor won't be established by a cliche scar, maybe a mask at most but otherwise would be a manipulative charismatic person. Bond is conflicted with following his own mission at work versus tracking down this killer. The subject brings M and Bond closer to one another in terms of building trust with another and also puts Q into a position of questioning the purpose of his work and gadgetry as the undeveloped detective aspect of his products are tested alongside his engineering skills as he learns the two must go hand in hand.

The film should end with Bond not truly finding out if the killer was really acting alone as he is immersed with evidence to the contrary. It would end at the funeral of the killer's last victim.

Serial killer is a bit too real-world for Bond to tackle for my tastes....I prefer the "cleaner' world of assassins.

I still think that Gardner novel where the bounty hunters (?) were chasing Bond across the continent could work as a higher-concept for Bond.
  • edited April 2022 Posts: 2,878
    The above idea reminded me of something I wrote in a 'pitch your own Bond film' thread where the agents in the 00 section were being killed by a mysterious assassin and Bond is the next target. Could perhaps be a potential concept, early days as it is. I think they'll go for something a bit more stripped back in terms of plot regardless - no nanobots, no world domination.
  • edited April 2022 Posts: 301

You're preaching to the choir! I really think TMWTGG opening chapters could be a great PTS and a brilliant way to introduce a new actor.

Brilliant idea for PTS and new 007. Rest of the movie should be new standalone mission (no reboots/remakes).

edited April 2022 Posts: 5,962
    Amnesia is a bit hoary as a plotline, but I could see how Eon might have it be ambiguous enough to please all fans: i.e. Bond is missing and he shows up and tries to kill M.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited April 2022 Posts: 14,935
    Yeah amnesia/brainwashing feel a bit too Man From UNCLE cartoon spy for me, I've never been desperate about that plot. And if you try to make it very serious then you get Jason Bourne.
  • astansillastansill London
    I really do hope that the beginning of bond 26 picks up where bond was being tortured by Blofeld in SP, albeit with a new bond actor but the same setting (emphasising that it’s the same James Bond character).
    Like TMWTGG book where bond has been brainwashed by Blofeld, it would mean the same Bond universe exists and gets us out of the current mess (as much as I’m not a fan of ‘it was all a dream’, I could live with Bond’s torture being the reasoning).

It would also mean that Blofeld lives on, the whole daughter thing goes away and the MI6 building wasn’t destroyed as it could have all being played inside Bond’s conscious. But maybe I’m being too hopeful?
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Well, Fukunaga supposedly suggested to EON that the whole of NTTD should take place in Bond's head during the SP torture scene, so...
  • edited April 2022 Posts: 3,279
    They need to go back to Fleming, back to gangsters for the next actor. Opening PTS introduces the new Bond at a temporarily closed down motel and rescues Viv Michel from 2 gangsters working for the Spangled Mob, then gets sent on a mission by M, introducing him to a political figure who is a suspected head of the Spangled Mob at Blades, over a game of cards where he cheats.

Bond goes undercover as Mark Hazard, and meets their deadly hitman Pistols S, and gets to know their inner workings, mud bath deaths, horse race gambling, etc. Anyone who knows their Fleming will know exactly where these ideas are taken from.

Keep it tough, violent, edgy, hardcore. No more family angst crap, far fetched nanobots, or retcon garbage. Just Fleming and gangsters!

This way they've adapted all the best unused Fleming scenes in one go, and given a different direction too for the next actor.

I wrote a blog on the subject here - http://broadcastingtechnologyindustry.blogspot.com/2021/
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    They need to go back to Fleming, back to gangsters for the next actor. Opening PTS introduces the new Bond at a temporarily closed down motel and rescues Viv Michel from 2 gangsters working for the Spangled Mob, then gets sent on a mission by M, introducing him to a political figure who is a suspected head of the Spangled Mob at Blades, over a game of cards where he cheats.

Bond goes undercover as Mark Hazard, and meets their deadly hitman Pistols S, and gets to know their inner workings, mud bath deaths, horse race gambling, etc. Anyone who knows their Fleming will know exactly where these ideas are taken from.

Keep it tough, violent, edgy, hardcore. No more family angst crap, far fetched nanobots, or retcon garbage. Just Fleming and gangsters!

This way they've adapted all the best unused Fleming scenes in one go, and given a different direction too for the next actor.

I wrote a blog on the subject here - http://broadcastingtechnologyindustry.blogspot.com/2021/

Agreed! 👍
  • edited April 2022 Posts: 12,837

I like the idea of Bond vs gangsters as a nice FYEO, back to earth sort of film, but I’m not sure mashing together all those unused Fleming scenes works very well. I think the Spangs could work, but it’s a fine line to walk. If you don’t modernise them enough then it could run the risk of seeming a bit naff and dated now personally, like when Adrian Brody tried to do the Brando Godfather thing in Peaky Blinders. It’s very hard to write those sorts of old fashioned mafia style gangsters without slipping into caricature, and I don’t think it’d feel very relevant to today at all. But if we are keeping them, why are we also doing the Blades card game and the stuff from TMWTGG? Is the idea of an old school American mob having that kind of power and influence a bit old fashioned? It’s not so much the implausability of the mob influencing British politics and having an outfit in the Carribean for me, I love a good implausible Bond film. It just seems a bit dated imo.

Maybe they could do something with Russian gangsters instead, with links to Putin’s inner circle that could be hinted at with just the right amount of vagueness (because EON will never show another country as outright baddies). I think that’d have a nice back to basics feel, Bond vs the Russians in a stripped down dirty crime thriller, while still feeling very modern and relevant.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I’m not sure Bond will be going anywhere near Russians or Russia for a while.
    As for gangsters, well that’s what Quantum and Spectre basically are isn’t it? Massive organised crime- that’s kind of all Bond can ever take on in the movies. So I don’t think there’s anything especially different about suggesting he goes after organised crime.
    edited April 2022 Posts: 3,390
    Give me SPECTREVILLE as the Bond villain lair! Along with that scary ghost town.

Rhyolite_Train_Station_20061124-1024x682.jpg
    The Rhyolite Train Station
    mtm wrote: »
    As for gangsters, well that’s what Quantum and Spectre basically are isn’t it? Massive organised crime- that’s kind of all Bond can ever take on in the movies. So I don’t think there’s anything especially different about suggesting he goes after organised crime.

Yeah maybe not, it might be a bit too political for Bond. And I think the difference there is “massive”. I’m thinking of lower level crime organisations rooted in a couple of locations, rather than a Quantum/Spectre type thing. Bond fought Mr Big’s organisation right after finishing his last round with Blofeld/Spectre, but I think the smaller scope of LALD is one of many things that helped to give it different feeling flavour. It’s not my favourite idea, but I do think we probably need something a bit more stripped down after how big and epic NTTD was.

I like the idea of Bond vs gangsters as a nice FYEO, back to earth sort of film, but I’m not sure mashing together all those unused Fleming scenes works very well. I think the Spangs could work, but it’s a fine line to walk. If you don’t modernise them enough then it could run the risk of seeming a bit naff and dated now personally, like when Adrian Brody tried to do the Brando Godfather thing in Peaky Blinders. It’s very hard to write those sorts of old fashioned mafia style gangsters without slipping into caricature, and I don’t think it’d feel very relevant to today at all. But if we are keeping them, why are we also doing the Blades card game and the stuff from TMWTGG? Is the idea of an old school American mob having that kind of power and influence a bit old fashioned? It’s not so much the implausability of the mob influencing British politics and having an outfit in the Carribean for me, I love a good implausible Bond film. It just seems a bit dated imo.

Maybe they could do something with Russian gangsters instead, with links to Putin’s inner circle that could be hinted at with just the right amount of vagueness (because EON will never show another country as outright baddies). I think that’d have a nice back to basics feel, Bond vs the Russians in a stripped down dirty crime thriller, while still feeling very modern and relevant.

It's a fine line to walk but could be done if you hire the right people. If they can come up with nanobots as plausible, and audiences buy it, organised crime with nasty people isn't that far fetched either.

And doesn't need to be American gangsters either, although they usually work best. A political figure with links to organised crime isn't that far fetched either. Watch the chainsaw shower scene in Scarface, or Carlito's Way when Pacino is setting up the pool table trick shot as he knows something bad is about to happen, and there is nothing dated about that. It's just suspense and good old tense moments on screen. I'd love to see moments like that in Bond again, like when Dalton is thrown onto the stone cutter conveyor belt in LTK.

Give me Sanchez over Safin any day of the week.
    MI6HQ wrote: »
    Give me SPECTREVILLE as the Bond villain lair! Along with that scary ghost town.

Rhyolite_Train_Station_20061124-1024x682.jpg
    The Rhyolite Train Station

Nice. You could easily incorporate those moments with the train scene at the end of TMWTGG.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    The TMWTGG train scene was basically the ending to LTK.

Yeah maybe not, it might be a bit too political for Bond. And I think the difference there is “massive”. I’m thinking of lower level crime organisations rooted in a couple of locations, rather than a Quantum/Spectre type thing. Bond fought Mr Big’s organisation right after finishing his last round with Blofeld/Spectre, but I think the smaller scope of LALD is one of many things that helped to give it different feeling flavour. It’s not my favourite idea, but I do think we probably need something a bit more stripped down after how big and epic NTTD was.

Maybe, I quite like 007 saving the world but I guess it all depends how it’s made: CR was pretty small-scale after all (and was basically about gangsters). Mr Big’s plan was to flood the whole USA with cheap drugs, so pretty big I’d say.
    All Bond films are basically about gangsters, there are only a couple of exceptions like Octopussy, and even there it’s a political plan associated with gangsters.
    I'd like to see more Fleming come through into the plot of Bond 26, but not necessarily from direct adaptation of the source material per say. People have mentioned DAF and TMWTGG and while I agree that adapting the amnesia subplot in the latter novel probably won't work I think there's something in the brainwashing element. Maybe a bunch of 00 agents are being captured/brainwashed to either reveal government secrets or assassinate people and Bond has to investigate. I'm a fan of having gangsters and something like Spectreville in a future film too.
  • I want less jokes and less gadgetry. Serious Bond to continue please. Who cares if it affects US box office. Bond is bigger than that

Not really. The ending to LTK is a truck chase, with Bond chasing the villain. The ending to TMWTGG is Bond on board an organised rail trip with a group of gangsters, with a plan to kill Bond as part of the entertainment. Little did they know Bond was in on it, or what they were dealing with.

Bond pursuing a bloody Scaramanga in the swamps to kill him does have very loose similarities to Bond and Sanchez final confrontation, but again its not a scene we have really seen adapted before.

A bloodied villain killing a snake for food while laying on the ground, wounded, Bond drawing his gun on the villain, knowing he has to kill a wounded man in cold blood, the villain saying his last prayer before Bond has to kill the man. There is a lot of potential still there with that final scene.

edited April 2022 Posts: 5,962
    The gangster scenes (including the Spangs) are some of the weakest Fleming there is, which is why they haven't been adapted. They also place the film in the US, which typically doesn't go well.

Anytime there's been a gangster in the film series (think GF or DAF), it's also been terrible. The best is probably the beginning of TMWTGG, but even that is cringeworthy (when the skeleton drops down).
  • edited April 2022 Posts: 2,878
    Even if the snake/swamp elements aren't adapted, the general idea would be great for a future Bond film. Bond and the villain badly wounded, Bond hesitating to kill him, and at the last moment the villain whips out another weapon and injures Bond before our hero shoots him. He collapses and wakes up in hospital having barely survived. Would have to foreshadow the villain's weapon and incorporate Bond's conflicted feelings on cold blooded killing (which would be great to see - the film Bond often kills in cold blood and it's not the most Fleming element of the character).
    echo wrote: »
    The gangster scenes (including the Spangs) are some of the weakest Fleming there is, which is why they haven't been adapted. They also place the film in the US, which typically doesn't go well.

Anytime there's been a gangster in the film series (think GF or DAF), it's also been terrible. The best is probably the beginning of TMWTGG, but even that is cringeworthy (when the skeleton drops down).

I still think there is a lot of potential there. LTK showed how effective gangsters can be, with Sanchez playing one of the best villains ever.

Kidd and Wint kicking Bond half to death sounds far more intriguing than anything we got in NTTD, as does Bond rescuing Viv Michel from a grisly rape and death moment at a closed down motel.

And it doesn't mean by adapting DAF, TSWLM or TMWTGG that the locations need to be adapted too. These scenes could play out literarily anywhere.
    I also visited this thread, maybe it can help?
    https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/8687/the-spangled-mob-for-bond-25
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Not really. The ending to LTK is a truck chase, with Bond chasing the villain. The ending to TMWTGG is Bond on board an organised rail trip with a group of gangsters, with a plan to kill Bond as part of the entertainment. Little did they know Bond was in on it, or what they were dealing with.

It's a very similar set up for a climax though: Bond gaining the baddie's trust by claiming to work for him, the baddie showing off his latest big innovation to a bunch of gangsters by taking them to it, Bond being revealed as a goodie and taking them down on the baddie's moving vehicle etc. It's an adaptation of that and is bigger and more cinematic.
    echo wrote: »

I still think there is a lot of potential there. LTK showed how effective gangsters can be, with Sanchez playing one of the best villains ever.

Pretty much all of them are gangsters. I guess the exception would be the ones who are heads of large corporations who are secretly planning something evil- they're not into organised crime per se.

• Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada
    With the recent Guardian article about Flemings Screenplay for Moonraker being back in the public eye, it has renewed my desire for a faithful adaptation. My feeling is that if Amazon wants to get a new film out quick why not start with that original screenplay for Moonraker. They could market this new Bond as being directly based in Fleming and bring in their preferred screenwriters to polish and update. For me marketing that this new Bond film partly written by Fleming would be fantastic. I also must confess I am a big supporter of a quick one off Bond film, with one of the many actors who are in thier prime right now. This would allow new money to come in while EON and Amazon continue to search for thier long term Bond.
  • I'd Like Bond on the trail of a top assassin.
    My worry is that Eon decides to remake DN. Literally. With Dr No and Honey Rider and Crab Key and Three Blind Mice. So we would have to start talking about DN62 and DN26 (or whenever it comes out) in order to differentiate the two films.
    Killing Bond
    in NTTD clears the slate for a completely new series. So they might think they could start all over again.

To anyone who says “Eon have never done that before” I would say that NTTD provides a textbook example of Eon doing something they never did before.

I don't think they'll explicitly do remakes, but I think what's more likely is what they've done for ~30 years which is pulling and recontexualizing elements of past films (TND being TSWLM, Skyfall having elements of GE + DAD seeped in more striaght-faced drama, Spectre/NTTD borrowing a lot from the novels OHMSS/YOLT as well as film OHMSS).

Wouldn't shock me if some plot ideas of book Moonraker, which they've never done, could get used as a beginning for 26 with a new one.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited May 2022 Posts: 2,925
    BMB007 wrote: »
    Wouldn't shock me if some plot ideas of book Moonraker, which they've never done, could get used as a beginning for 26 with a new one.

Fleming actually wrote an unproduced script for an MR film. Could any of that be repurposed? Be pretty good for PR if they could launch a new Bond with Fleming's name among the writers of the screenplay!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yes I was thinking that Moonraker feels a likely one for them to do in some fashion again. I think it's likely that Gala Brand will put in an appearance in some form finally.