Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

MI Fallout. Most enjoyable action film since the last one.
    Overall, I think they have done a good job of keeping the overall quality high but, at the same time, giving each movie a slightly different feel. MI2 was a low point IMHO but it still was not a stinker. McQ has to be respected for sticking with the series but realising that each movie must not repeat the feel of another (he refers to this as "texture"). It must not become a "cookie cutter" series. Fallout does have a different feel than any of the previous films but it's still clearly a traditional MI film.
    It's all good.
    going to see it on weds
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Getafix wrote: »
    going to see it on weds
    You're in for a massive treat. Just leave all expectations at the door. It's quite different tonally from the last one, but just as good imho.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    1. Mission Impossible 3
    2. Mission Impossible
    3. Fallout
    4. Ghost protocol
    5. Rogue Nation
    6. MI:2

This.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    talos7 wrote: »
    But it's at least better than that awful Abrams film, aka MARRIAGE: IMPOSSIBLE.
    Spot on! :))
    Nah, that criticism is massively overblown
    Never really understood why people damn the flick for an aspect that is only takes up a small fraction of the runtime.

M:I-3 is a great flick, with great set-pieces, a great score, and the best baddie of the series so far.

+1

MI:3 gave the series heart and made Ethan a three dimensional character.
    With that said , future films wisely did not iwallow in the personal aspects, as some other franchises have done.
    [/quote]

Re: Number three: My thoughts to a "T", @talos7 ... It's the only one I actually remember. The others are like fast food: in they go, out they go.
    Rogue Nation was the only one I've actually thought was really good. The other's I've zoned out of.
    Fallout has dispatched Ant Man & The Wasp to take the # 6 spot for the year globally so far. Deadpool 2 is in its sights but could be too formidable to overcome. It will need $85M more to take it out.
  • I just came back from a second viewing of FALLOUT! This time on a Dolby theater screen. Superb entertainment!!

When I get this on Blu-Ray the helicopter finale will be mandatory daily viewing for me! :)

• edited September 2018 Posts: 11,425
    just seen it. highly entertaining nonsense. I didn't think it was as good as RN but still lots of fun and a step up from previous entries.

I'm not sure I see it as representing the direction Bond should go but the stunt work was amazing and the contrast with how London was used in Fallout versus SF and SP was striking. in Fallout London felt like a three dimensional place whereas Mendes use of it was totally lacklustre.

I have to say there were a few moments where I felt Fallout was riffing off recent (and older) Bond films. the bit where the helicopters crash seemed very reminiscent of the alpine plane crash in SP. and the villain escape from the sunken van has been done so many times now - good to see LTK still being ripped off all these years later. even the skydive made me think of TND although the Fallout one is done so much better.

loved the used of the old school nuclear bomb plot - still seemed to be in goood working order to me!

It had the kind of frenetic nonstop action vibe that I actually don't want to see in a Bond film. But since it was an MI film I was fine with it.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited September 2018 Posts: 2,541
    Rogue nation had much more tight script than fallout but this one seems more like mashup of scenes. That lift scene in Paris was ripped from skyfall Shanghai scene.That convoy scene remind of LTK/Dark Knight convoy.Boat scene from underground was SP. I have seen plutonium in TWINE. Bike chase/scene where he fall from helicopter were superb.
    yes also Cavill's damaged face at the end seemed another SP rip off. funny how much these films seem to cannibalize each other
    Dark Knight/avengers 1st/ skyfall- 3 of those villians get caught and later escape. There is video in YouTube named "completely originality doesn't matter" that says this trick first used way back in 95' in a movie called 'seven' of Brad pitt.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    M:I - Fallout's finale was more of a GoldenEye ripoff than a Spectre ripoff. Cavill's damaged face was pretty much an homage to Alec Trevelyan's burned face, and so was his fight on top of the precipice with Cruise.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I saw Walkers face being burned, as a reference to the second Nolan Batman film.
    Not just mi but dark Knight Harvey dent was also ripped off" Harvey two face" that half burn face from Alex trevelyan- "two face Roman God come to life"
    Dark Knight/avengers 1st/ skyfall- 3 of those villians get caught and later escape. There is video in YouTube named "completely originality doesn't matter" that says this trick first used way back in 95' in a movie called 'seven' of Brad pitt.

I think you'll find that trick was first used in a film called Licence to Kill in 1989...
    Sanchez didn't exactly get caught intentionally but joker/look/Silva did.
    fair point. but TDKR and Fallout both very clearly reference the break out in LTK. TDKR is basically a homage to the LTK sequence
    Agreed
    I agree that Fallout borrows from a lot of classics (including prior Bond films). I guess the point is it works, at least for me.

This is the way formula should be done in today's day and age. It unabashedly references prior eras (and scenes) while embracing modernity and feeling fresh/contemporary.

The same thing was done by Nolan in TDK/TDKR. Both those films and Fallout make one leave the theatre with the feeling of the past, when things were done for real with stuntmen rather than computer generated crapola. There's no better feeling.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 252
    Mission Impossible: Fallout has grossed $100.22M by 5 days in China.
    Thu - $1.50M
    Fri - $24.63M
    Sat - $28.82M
    Sun - $22.74M
    Mon - $8.71M
    Tue - $7.43M
    Wed - $6.40M

I wish B25 will have also those numbers, but it's more than unrealistic after the Chinese Box-Office from SF and SP

There have been so many action films that it's virtually impossible to do anything without fans looking for references to other movies.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I mean, many people also said the truck being t-boned into the water was nicked from The Dark Knight and it was used as criticism.

Because Chris Nolan invented t-boning vehicles in film.

You can't really win when it comes to making action films these days. As long as the action is exciting and sucks me in, I don't particularly mind whether it was done before.
    There are only so many modes of transport and only so many ways in which they can create action.
    Let me explain it another way- when we saw that free running scene in CR it wasn't the first time, but district b13 was the first film to represent it on screen... Still that scene from CR was called the best foot chase Because they didn't just ripped it but improvised it into a whole new level but I can't say the same about fallout especially that helicopter scene when tom was flying wasn't exciting at all... I remember that plane scene in QOS (which was the best in years)it was so paced & breathtaking and the reason behind that it was performed by an experienced stunt pilot. I would rather see a stuntman performing an excellent stunt rather than an actor performing an average one. Still I enjoyed fallout, as Walker said "no hard feelings".
    edited September 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Let me explain it another way- when we saw that free running scene in CR it wasn't the first time, but district b13 was the first film to represent it on screen... Still that scene from CR was called the best foot chase Because they didn't just ripped it but improvised it into a whole new level but I can't say the same about fallout especially that helicopter scene when tom was flying wasn't exciting at all... I remember that plane scene in QOS (which was the best in years)it was so paced & breathtaking and the reason behind that it was performed by an experienced stunt pilot. I would rather see a stuntman performing an excellent stunt rather than an actor performing an average one. Still I enjoyed fallout, as Walker said "no hard feelings".
    While I can appreciate and respect your opinion, my experience is entirely the opposite. I think Cruise and McQuarrie have improved upon and surpassed the scenes which they homage in these films. As an example, there is a lot of SP in that copter chase, and I'm far more impressed and enthralled by the MI one - particularly when Hunt gets into the helicopter and witnesses the surprised reaction of the occupants. Similarly, I've always felt that the bike chase in RN is reminiscent to a degree of the Lotus chase in TSWLM. There's that same crazy speed and danger to the whole thing, particularly up on the cliff. MI evokes the spirit of early Bond action, as did TDK/TDKR.

This is the opposite of my experience with SP for example, where I was aware that a scene was attempting to evoke a prior Bond sequence (plane chase similar to Lotus chase for example), but it just felt inferior and less thrilling. Hence I was disappointed and taken out of the proceedings.

Again, just my take on it.

• matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    As a mere compilation of action set pieces, Fallout is GREAT. Sometimes even astonishing. But as an overall movie is pretty mediocre. The script is super lazy, the characters flat, the overall acting is mediocre. The fact that they made a more serious film than the last outings didn't helped. It's more like a bombastic political thriller, with less gadget and mission impossible cliché. There are so many terribile/stupid scenes (Dream prologue with Mummy level CGI, Benji's lines before the meeting in Berlin, White widow's pointless monologue about paradoxes, Cruise's impersonation of John Lark, every Baldwin scene, the female good looking cop scene etc etc). Cavill was the biggest disappointment but his villain was written really badly. Rogue Nation was better. There is a scene where Ilsa says to Hunt that "they will never be free" and 20 sec later she says "I must kill Lane because he's my pass for freedom". WTF.

The action is great, the photography is beautiful, but I can't love a movie so silly and poorly written but at the same time so serious in tone.
    You are not alone I respect your opinion even I didn't like a lot of scenes in Spectre/ fallout but I did like RG especially -bike chase/opera/London fight scenes. Most real scene of whole mi series when CIA operatives barge in Havana safe house. & My favorite scene ilsa and mi6 chief conversation in front of big ben.
    You are not alone I respect your opinion even I didn't like a lot of scenes in Spectre/ fallout but I did like RG especially -bike chase/opera/London fight scenes. Most real scene of whole mi series when CIA operatives barge in Havana safe house. & My favorite scene ilsa and mi6 chief conversation in front of big ben.
    All wonderful stuff, which is why RN remains my favourite of the bunch for now. The Opera sequence in particular is just so stylishly done all the way to the rooftop escape. Superb direction and setup by McQuarrie.