Bond 26 Title

Comments

Ian Fleming's James Bond 007 in: Never Die Twice
    007HallY wrote: »

How about: ALWAYS TIME TO DIE...hey...you know, I started out trying to a fool and make some sort of lame attempt at a joke, but, gee, now I've gone and made up a title which I actually rather like !
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Operation Phoenix

Diamond from the Ashes

The Storm After the Calm

Coming up with a good title is impossible...Fleming always did it best.
    Since62 wrote: »
    007HallY wrote: »

How about: ALWAYS TIME TO DIE...hey...you know, I started out trying to a fool and make some sort of lame attempt at a joke, but, gee, now I've gone and made up a title which I actually rather like !

James Bond 007 in: ALWAYS TIME TO DIE TWICE

The thing I love about all these titles is that when you briefly glance at them they actually seem plausible. It's when you actually read them that you go 'hold on, that's not right'.
  • edited August 2022 Posts: 784
    ’Risico’ is a good name but the story itself is a bit too meagre to base a truthful adaptation on.
  • edited August 2022 Posts: 2,887
    ’Risico’ is a good name but the story itself is a bit too meagre to base a truthful adaptation on.

That's the beauty of it. It could relate to anything - a mission, a weapon, a place etc. That and I guess FYEO has basically adapted that story for screen.

FAVTAK, on the other hand, is still game for adaptation. can see it being the set up of a film in the way the short story TLD was for its film adaptation.
    A rose bush and a motorcycle?
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited August 2022 Posts: 7,526
    echo wrote: »

Could be the title of a Sherlock Holmes story.

Those titles are all a little more literal than Bond titles, could be a fun game to “Holmes-inate” the Bond titles.

Dr. No becomes:
    James Bond and the Case of the Man with the Steel Hands

TB: “A Study in Water”
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com

Sounds like Never Send Flowers too....
    Death To Friends
  • Agent_Zero_OneAgent_Zero_One Ireland
    edited August 2022 Posts: 554
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    James Bond v Teletubbies

Let me guess, one of them has David Dragonpol inside?

I have no idea. I just went with that comment about reinventing the series.

In John Gardner's Never Send Flowers (1993) there is the following passage:

"Now, as [Bond] wandered around the park, he smiled with pleasure to see Chip and Dale, or Minnie, signing autograph books for clamouring children, while Pluto and Goofy played the fool with kids of all ages. Then the chill struck him. What if the man inside the hot stuffy Goofy suit was Dragonpol himself?

He banished the thought quickly. It was not impossible, but the idea smacked of paranoia, so he took himself off to pass the time on some of the rides."

I've always thought that there are shades of Jaws in Moonraker in disguise at the Rio de Janeiro Carnival there too.
    That's the greatest passage I've ever read.

I want to see Bond at Disneyland onscreen! I wonder if Dalton would be interested...
    James Bond v Teletubbies

Let me guess, one of them has David Dragonpol inside?

I have no idea. I just went with that comment about reinventing the series.

In John Gardner's Never Send Flowers (1993) there is the following passage:

"Now, as [Bond] wandered around the park, he smiled with pleasure to see Chip and Dale, or Minnie, signing autograph books for clamouring children, while Pluto and Goofy played the fool with kids of all ages. Then the chill struck him. What if the man inside the hot stuffy Goofy suit was Dragonpol himself?

He banished the thought quickly. It was not impossible, but the idea smacked of paranoia, so he took himself off to pass the time on some of the rides."

I've always thought that there are shades of Jaws in Moonraker in disguise at the Rio de Janeiro Carnival there too.
    That's the greatest passage I've ever read.

I want to see Bond at Disneyland onscreen!

I've been lobbying for it for years. ;)

It is a good novel though. Well worth a read if you like a different sort of Bond story.
  • Agent_Zero_OneAgent_Zero_One Ireland

Could be the title of a Sherlock Holmes story.

Those titles are all a little more literal than Bond titles, could be a fun game to “Holmes-inate” the Bond titles.

Dr. No becomes:
    James Bond and the Case of the Man with the Steel Hands

TB: “A Study in Water”
    A Study in Gold for GF actually has a nice ring to it.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    edited August 2022 Posts: 2,353
    "JAMES BOND: MAVERICK"
  • edited August 2022 Posts: 784
    What about using the names of old video games and then re-releasing them as next gen remakes with the new actor.

Everything or Nothing
    Nightfire
    Agent Under Fire

Otherwise it seems like word play on phrases and idioms and/or cool sounding words are the criteria.

Might Quantum of Solace have done worse at the box office because it’s too difficult for casuals/foreigners to remember/pronounce?
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    The title is important in a marketing sense but the general public ,at least in the UK, refer to them as "the new Bond film" most of the time anyway
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited August 2022 Posts: 2,925
    I remember people being utterly stumped by QOS's title when it was announced - and some just laughing in disbelief and bamboozlement. Not even kidding. Even after explaining that it was the title of an Ian Fleming short story, you just got 'But what does it mean?' or ' But it doesn't make sense!', etc. Casuals - pffft! None of that would've happened if EON had just called it, say, 'Quantum' - but I'm not sure it stopped anyone actually going to see it, tbf.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yeah they can pretty much be called anything as long as they’re a Bond film (they called one Octopussy after all!), but it’s nice to get a good title.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited August 2022 Posts: 2,925
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    The title is important in a marketing sense but the general public ,at least in the UK, refer to them as "the new Bond film" most of the time anyway

That is so true, actually. Thinking about it, I don't even remember anyone even referring to SF by name and that was really popular among general audiences - it was, indeed, always 'the new Bond film'!
    mtm wrote: »
    Yeah they can pretty much be called anything as long as they’re a Bond film (they called one Octopussy after all!), but it’s nice to get a good title.

Octopussy is lucky that they chose that title when they did, drafting off the '70s and just missing the extreme cultural conservatism of Reagan's second term.
  • TheSkyfallen06TheSkyfallen06 Buenos Aires, Argentina.
    "Bond: Codename OO7"
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    mtm wrote: »

Octopussy is lucky that they chose that title when they did, drafting off the '70s and just missing the extreme cultural conservatism of Reagan's second term.

It is quite amazing that it wasn't even the last Fleming title to be used :D
    "Dead End"
    "Dead End"

DEAD END

Good title !

For a film subsequent to NTTD, methinks. I think Bond 26 likely would not have another Die/Death title.

Speaking of which, it is funny how the titles - between books, stories and films - wind up seemingly contradictory. Of course, many of them are quite meaningless, and are just to sound cool and Bond-ish.

In the Negative as to Death occurring (ie, as in Not Now):
    Tomorrow Never Dies
    Die Another Day
    Never Dream of Dying
    No Time to Die (ironically, as it turned out, but this is focused on titles)

In the Positive (as in, someone will die, now or soon):
    Live and Let Die
    From a View to a Kill / A View to a Kill
    Nobody Lives Forever
    Win, Lose or Die
    License to Kill
    Death is Forever
    High Time to Kill

Uncertain
    The Facts of Death..rather depends on just what may be those facts. Never mind the story - focusing only on the title ! Considering the only two certainties are death and taxes, though - and, yes, this means going a bit deeper than the title alone, I suppose this one goes in the "Positive" column...

Apologies for any I may have missed...
    "Resurrection"
    "Life Of Lies"
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited August 2022 Posts: 4,441
    SAND IN THE EYES

Bond26-17augustus2022.jpg

Quantum-of-Solace-0115.jpg

eyes_story_01.jpg

nclock-01-12_33666_sm.gif

2819.jpg?width=700&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&s=06a97bd25b6e00210ff4154c6ffb4590
    Scene ''Words Are People Best Friend'' from QOS when Dominic Greene trow sand in everybody's eyes.

skyfall-movie-screencaps.com-12170.jpg

Spectre-0182.jpg

Spectre-0196.jpg

No-Time-to-Die-0353.jpg

cinesite_delivered_vfx_for_no_time_to_die_b25_37151_rc2-1280.jpg?itok=moEW_oIN
    This is the end
    Hold your breath and count to ten
    Feel the Earth move and then

depositphotos_395315314-stock-photo-glossy-orange-clock-blue-wall.jpg?forcejpeg=true

depositphotos_395328898-stock-photo-glossy-blue-clock-orange-wall.jpg?forcejpeg=true

No-Time-to-Die-0374.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTVrGrRYwTtCAvFX4eTKIpoRKRWPNUCJv1pDA&usqp=CAU

ComplicatedBrokenInchworm-max-1mb.gif

notimetodie-movie-screencaps.com-2811.jpg
    Life is gone with just a spin of the wheel (spin of the wheel)

240_F_413296389_t6kEJbt5eFuCH2NA4nEDUiRAFgpqUgWD.jpg

Quantum-of-Solace-1611.jpg

oliefantskyfall.png

360_F_273001920_cObV9LxpXFxt6VBJSzw588vkAHsqK57m.jpg360_F_485391088_20YTNpgB7IQfZ15pnHFjvHlgcYtkTk20.jpg
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    M_Balje wrote: »

I hadn't seen this photo before. I love it.
    I'll have what he's having.
    edited September 2022 Posts: 17,798
    @M_Balje - I take it the main villain will be Sandor? Maybe Emeli Sandé could do the title song? I'll get my coat...
    mattjoes wrote: »
    M_Balje wrote: »

I hadn't seen this photo before. I love it.

That's because it only exists in Balje's mind.
    "NEXUS"