A View to a Swim - sponsored swim at Max Zorin's château

Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
in Fan Creations Posts: 3,099
Hi friends! On Sunday 29th August, I'll be doing a 2.5km open water swim at the Château de Chantilly in France, otherwise known as Max Zorin's hangout in AVTAK.

I've held off posting about this because sporting events and foreign travel have remained uncertain. But at the time of writing the event is still on, and I'm going to do my damnedest to take part, with all appropriate safety measures taken and all government hoops jumped through. If it's absolutely impossible, I will swim the equivalent distance in the UK.

I decided it would be appropriate to fundraise for Unicef, since Roger Moore was their ambassador for many years. A little thank you for all the pleasure James Bond has given me.

For more information about the event, or if you'd like to sponsor me, visit my JustGiving page!

(Fancy joining me? There's still time to sign up for a swim, run or triathlon...)

Obviously I'll be posting a full report afterwards, with photos!

Comments

• That sounds truly fantastic, @Agent_99. As A View to a Kill is one of my favorite Bond films and I enjoy participating in these kinds of swim/foot races, I would normally be all over this, but I’m afraid I can’t take the plunge with the current state of things. I hope the event goes on though. Enjoy the swim and the Bond history and be sure to post pics! Will this be your first time there?
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    Thank you, @Some_Kind_Of_Hero! I haven't been before so I'm extra excited. Hoping to top up my motorbike at that petrol station :)

Hopefully they'll continue to run the event and one of these years you can take part.
    Oh, this is very cool!
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    That's awesome @Agent_99 Look forward to seeing some photos.
    The service station is still there. Quite unchanged by the looks of things. Just avoid the car wash. ;)
    https://goo.gl/maps/WjDX1CEW3wzPVMXx8
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Hi @Agent_99, that's lovely to hear. I visited Zorin's château only last Summer. Really got the AVTAK vibes when I was there. It's a marvellous place, I'm sure you'll love it. The horse race track from the movie, where Gogol tells Zorin that 'no-one ever leaves the KGB', is also situated on the castle grounds.
    Thanks all - really looking forward to it!
    Swim complete! I'm delighted to announce that the generosity of friends and Bond fans meant raising more than double my target amount for Unicef (JustGiving page is still open, just sayin'):

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/a-view-to-a-swim

There were just 12 of us taking part in the 2.5k swim, which meant everyone got their own spotter in a kayak to guide us round the course and yell ALLEZ ALLEZ ALLEZ!

It took me 1hr 36 minutes, placing me last by a considerable margin (I am not a speedster), but I'm very pleased with my achievement.

E-Rsxn-WEAEXbph.jpg

The next day I went back for a proper look around the chateau and took some photos of the bits you see in the film, including this step on hallowed ground:

E-Cd8XkWUAg1SNh.jpg

No kindly Roger bearing a glass of champagne, alas.

I rewarded myself for my efforts with a day at Parc Asterix, 20 minutes' drive away and a lot of fun! Inevitably, I brought a new friend home.

E-IuJuxWEAARkeB.jpg
    Very nice.

That bridge looks so different than in the film without a party going on.

Did you get to see the inside of the chateau? Must be quite a sight, especially that large room where Bond tells Scarpine the price for the horse "sounds quite reasonable."
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Glad it all went well @Agent_99 I visited Chantilly in the early 90's. Stunning location.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Did you get to see the BP garage?
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    An awesome performance and report, @Agent_99. Appreciated.

While there's still time I was wondering if you were aware of this one. Quite an event planned at Biggleswade, Bedfordshire.

Logo-main-wht.svg
    Bond Day: Auto Gyro Fly-in and Aston Martin
    Car Show
    https://www.shuttleworth.org/product/bond-day/

In cooperation with The British Rotorcraft Association,and Wallis Heritage Limited, Shuttleworth is delighted to announce on Saturday 25 September we will be celebrating “BOND DAY”. The visitor attraction and airfield will be the venue for the celebration of Ian Fleming’s 007.

DSC03901-002-scaled.jpg
  • Agent_99 wrote: »
    Swim complete!

E-Rsxn-WEAEXbph.jpg

What an experience! Always a cool thing to tread through a bit of Bond history.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    That bridge looks so different than in the film without a party going on.

Just needs the flower garlands!
    Thank you for all the good wishes! The whole trip was a memory to treasure.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Did you get to see the inside of the chateau? Must be quite a sight, especially that large room where Bond tells Scarpine the price for the horse "sounds quite reasonable."

I did! You couldn't see all the rooms - they were preparing for an exhibition - but I used the big spiral staircase where Jenny and Bond chat.
    Benny wrote: »
    Did you get to see the BP garage?

I did indeed, and even caught a car emerging from the car wash:

E-TOB8dXsAcHCfx.jpg
    While there's still time I was wondering if you were aware of this one. Quite an event planned at Biggleswade, Bedfordshire.

I was not, but I will definitely snag a ticket - thank you! Shuttleworth is easily reachable and a great venue.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Agent_99 wrote: »
    I was not, but I will definitely snag a ticket - thank you! Shuttleworth is easily reachable and a great venue.
    So the mission was well-received, @Agent_99, good.

Looking forward to the next trip report. Be careful out there.