Would Albert Broccoli approve of Daniel Craig?

edited December 2011 in General Discussion Posts: 581
i was thinking what if Albert Cubby Broccoli was alive today would he have approven of Daniel Craigs casting as Bond?

Comments

Probably but I think a more debatable question is whether Ian Fleming would have approved of DC.
    Cubby would probably cast Craig as a thug. Cubby knew that Bond had an iconic look. He helped cast 5 other actors that had that look.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited December 2011 Posts: 4,399
    timmer wrote:
    Cubby would probably cast Craig as a thug. Cubby knew that Bond had an iconic look. He helped cast 5 other actors that had that look.

he thought Dalton was good enough didn't he? - he was after him for years... I think he would've approved of Craig.... Cubby wasn't always about the fantastical... it was obvious when casting Dalton, the direction he wanted to take the franchise.

this "Craig's Bond is a thug" nonsense really needs to stop... he is clearly not.... i guess people just got too used to the human stick Pierce... and it hasn't been since Lazenby that we really had someone put the same effort towards physicality

• St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    Quite frankly, after he'd seen Craig's audition for the role, which we've heard apparently blew Babs and Wilson's socks off, Cubby would've approved. He surely would have as soon as he watched the actor during CR's filming...

Dalton did look like Bond as did Sean Rog Laz and Broz.
    St_George wrote:
    Quite frankly, after he'd seen Craig's audition for the role, which we've heard apparently blew Babs and Wilson's socks off, Cubby would've approved. He surely would have as soon as he watched the actor during CR's filming...
    Of course he blew Babs socks off, but who cares, its Babs. She fell in love with his bare butt in Layer Cake and still lusts after him.
    Truthfully we have no idea what Cubby would have thought. But we do know what Babs likes.

timmer wrote:
    Cubby would probably cast Craig as a thug.

A thug? Craig is a VERY intelligent man. I'm sorry, Cubby may have cast a certain 'type' of man for Connery, Lazenby, and Moore, but that 'type' fit that period. Craig is a modern spy, physical as well as intelligent. Craig doesn't look or sound like a thug at all. He looks like a Special Forces soldier, which is Bond's root.

And Dalton and Brosnan did not look like Bond. Their long, dark hair (well Brosnan for Goldeneye appeared as so), as well as their body build completely changed the pattern between the first three portrayals. You cant say Connery looked like Brosnan.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    timmer wrote:

why? because they all had dark hair?... nevermind that Rog's was nowhere near dark by the end of his run..... i'm sick of the lousy Blonde argument as well - and it's known the producers asked him about dying his hair, and Craig refused... good for him.

but how could they all look like Bond, when none of them looked remotely close to resembling eachother ..... a pretty weak argument.

HASEROT wrote:
    timmer wrote:

how could they all look like Bond, when none of them looked remotely close to resembling eachother ..... a pretty weak argument.

Agreed. I can see Connery Lazenby and Moore fitting, but not the other three.
    Dalts and Broz were touted as Bond long before they were Bond. Why? Because they had the Bond look.
  • edited December 2011 Posts: 562
    I think Dalton and Brosnan fit the Bond 'look' quite well. To cite Fleming's description of Bond, he is 6' tall, roughly 170 lbs, black hair, blue-grey eyes, and looked somewhat like a tougher, colder Hoagy Carmichael. I'm of the opinion that Dalton came closest in appearance to the man Fleming imagined.

Edit: To bring my comment closer to the topic, I'll add that I think that Craig would have been in the same situation as Sam Neill was: Everyone was sold on him as Bond, save for Cubby. I'd bet that Cubby would have put in the final decision and cast Henry Cavill over Craig.
    timmer wrote:
    Dalts and Broz were touted as Bond long before they were Bond. Why? Because they had the Bond look.

looks only get you so far..... it truly boils down to acting...

not only did Dalton have the look, but his acting was top notch - classically trained..

Brosnan's popularity soared, only because he was staring as TV Bond-like detective, and became more of a household name than other candidates at the time... he had the look... but that was it... his acting is not on the same level as Connery, Moore, Dalton or Craig... Brosnan looked like a man trying to be everything, but wound up being nothing - he had no discernible trait that made him standout... he was just sort of, "there"...

• St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    timmer wrote:
    St_George wrote:
    Of course he blew Babs socks off, but who cares, its Babs. She fell in love with his bare butt in Layer Cake and still lusts after him.
    Truthfully we have no idea what Cubby would have thought. But we do know what Babs likes.

Like I wrote, it's said he <i>also</i> blew Michael G Wilson's socks off, not just (as you say, more predictably) Babs'. That truly says something, methinks, given the former's decades-long and hugely involved role in the Bond game...

Once Cubby Got over him being BLOND then yes, he and probably Fleming to would have approved.
    St_George wrote:
    timmer wrote:
    St_George wrote:

Like I wrote, it's said he <i>also</i> blew Michael G Wilson's socks off, not just (as you say, more predictably) Babs'. That truly says something, methinks, given the former's decades-long and hugely involved role in the Bond game...

and Wilson has been involved (in some form) with the franchise since 'Goldfinger'.... and if he was able to impress a man who had seen Connery, Lazenby, Moore, Dalton, and Brosnan... that is pretty significant..

• edited December 2011 Posts: 4,622
    Well at least Craig appears to have dyed his hair for SF. At least for the rooftop photos, that just came out. Every little bit helps.

MGW might be losing it. Babs wears the pants in that family now.
  • SharkShark Banned
    edited December 2011 Posts: 348
    Perhaps, perhaps not, but I'm certain Cubby would wish he wore a condom that night if he saw what his daughter had done to the series.
    Shark wrote:
    Perhaps, perhaps not, but I'm certain Cubby would wish he wore a condom that night if he saw what his daughter had done to the series.

yeah, Die Another Day was pretty bad..

Shark wrote:

You're opinion is noted but that is just tasteless
  • SharkShark Banned
    edited December 2011 Posts: 348
    HASEROT wrote:
    Shark wrote:

yeah, Die Another Day was pretty bad..

As has every Bond film since TOMORROW NEVER DIES.
    bondbat007 wrote:
    Shark wrote:

You're opinion is noted but that is just tasteless

Reaction noted, but that is just humourless.
    no... just Tomorrow Never Dies thru Die Another Day..... what a mess that was.... glad they cleaned it up - the stench was getting foul
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited December 2011 Posts: 13,894
    timmer wrote:

I've got to agree with timmer. If Cubby were still holding the reigns in 2005, I don't think Craig would have been cast. Going by how both Dalton & Brosnan came close to the role, only to bag it later on, I would not have been surprised if they had picked an actor that had earlier screentested. Dougray Scott was apparantly the frontrunner should Brosnan not return for DAD, so I can imagine Cubby going with Scott in 2004 (that is if Brosnan didn't get a 5th, and there was not delay/silly bandwagon jumping with the reboot).
  • edited December 2011 Posts: 11,189
    Shark wrote:

Wow!! Hardcore :o

I suspect whatever he ACTUALLY thought he'd be behind his daughter.
    Don't see why Craig shouldn't have Cubby's blessing, man was firstly a businessman, not an emo keeper of the Bond grail. Looking the part is an entirely subjective category as for example BAIN123's icon proves, a drawing commissioned by Fleming, hardly a composite sketch of Brosnan or Moore. The important thing is the performance and that is apparently to the liking of many, so Cubby would be rollin with it.
    The drawing Fleming did doesn't really (IMO) look like any of the actors who have played the role.
  • edited December 2011 Posts: 297
    Think it wasn't done by himself, only commissioned or something. But you're right, it surely doesn't look like any particular actor we've seen in the role. Point is, there isn't really a definite 'Bond look' that didn't get contradicted by the eon films at some point, so that's not a valid argument.

We've had blond Bonds and dark ones, young and old, athletes and flabby old geezers, full hair and widows peaks, all in the line of duty for HMSS. Neither is the thug argument a very good one. If you happen to have read the books there is the interesting scene from TSWLM where Vivienne Michel answers the door of the motel, the two thugs Sluggsy and Horror already cozy in her breakfast room or what it was and Bond stands there and her first thought is 'Oh god, not another of those thugs!' or something similar.

Craig in my opinion is as qualified as Connery was at his time as a 'type'. If it's true Cubby had to be persuaded of Connery's assets for the role, too.
  • He may have not been interested in pursuing Craig for Bond, but I think Cubby would have been won over by his performance in a screen test. Craig may not have the look, but he has the feel.
    would Cubby have approven of Daniel Craigs casting as Bond?

Since the man already gone far before 2005 we really don't know if Cubby approve Craig or not, what we do here is only blindly guess what Cubby would think about Craig, but based on the way he chose actor in the past i blindly guess he wouldn't approve it.

But honestly, i don't really think that what Cubby chose is always good for the franchise. Lets face it he already made mistake by casting Moore and Brosnan in the role. They were sure as a guarantee money makers for the producers and the studio, but with at the expense of the stories and characters IMO.

What Cubby chose doesn't necessary make him a good producers or kind of God that we must always agree with him. For me what important is how the actor can deliver the part or at least believable enough to carry the characters. Also with Cubby involvement doesn't mean he produce a good Bond movies either IMO. He recast Connery again in DAF although he knew the actor didn't have any enthusiasm to play the role or make Dalton still had Moore silliness in The LIving Daylight.

Since many of this member love to have an wild imagination what fleming would think if he saw Craig, Brosnan or anything, i would say (with my wild imagination) Fleming certainly would have second heart attack in the grave if he see Moonraker or DIe another day.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    [quote="chuck007"he already made mistake by casting Moore in the role.[/quote]

@-) Moore a mistake ?? Please ! He's the best thing that ever happened to the franchise ! Thank god we had Moore and his 7 epic, fun, entertaining films with his oh-so ever magnificient humour and line delivery.
  • edited December 2011 Posts: 11,189
    Fleming would have gone for the crowd pleaser - I'm quite certain about that. It would have ensured success and (for his benifit) guarenteed more book sales.

Both Cubby and Fleming knew that Bond was made primerily for the audience. Fleming would probably have had several heart attacks by now.