Barryt007's News-sheet

Comments

• MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    edited September 2022 Posts: 2,056
    Eva Green, Martin Campbell to reunite on Millennium Media TIFF sales title ‘Dirty Angels’

https://www.screendaily.com/news/eva-green-martin-campbell-to-reunite-on-millennium-media-tiff-sales-title-dirty-angels-exclusive/5174221.article

Eva in a pure action role directed by Campbell? Sign me up! 😀😀
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/james-bond-corn-maze-is-10mi-long/

James-Bond-corn-maze-Richardsons-Adventure-Farm-SWNS.jpg

...there seems to be one guy missing. You know, that other fellow. :))
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    I just finished watching a great documentary on Turner Classic Movies about the life and career of Hollywood graphic designer Joe Caroff. BY DESIGN: THE JOE CAROFF STORY covers, among many, many things, his work on the Bond 007 logo. It was also the subject of a YouTube video.

• SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    Dwayne wrote: »

Who's James? There's no Bond (The surname).

What's 60?

I don't quite understand the artwork to be honest.
    I just finished watching a great documentary on Turner Classic Movies about the life and career of Hollywood graphic designer Joe Caroff. BY DESIGN: THE JOE CAROFF STORY covers, among many, many things, his work on the Bond 007 logo. It was also the subject of a YouTube video.

That's great! 👍 @Dwayne
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    @MI6HQ please edit your posts rather than double posting.
    Thank you
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    MI6HQ wrote: »

What's 60?

More to the point, where's Lazenby? 🤔
    edited October 2022 Posts: 3,390
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    MI6HQ wrote: »

What's 60?

More to the point, where's Lazenby? 🤔

True.....That's what disappoints me most really.

I've seen many artworks better than this (complete and had more clarity/clear) 😅.

No offence to who did this, still appreciate the effort though.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Reminds me a bit of those Lego Bond portrait mosaics that were displayed at Designing 007, where the image of Craig was actually one of his impersonators. Was it intentional, or was it a fail?
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Come on, people, you're too critical. I think it's fantastic what one can do these days on 24 acres of corn field. Below the "60", there is also a line of "y/s of", so it's sixty years of James, and everyone knows which James. I could imagine that most casual Bond movie watchers (below our level of sectarian cult followers) wouldn't even recognize Lazenby, so if there is limited room he is the obvious choice for being left out. As good as OHMSS may be, he did less for the franchise than the DB5. I think that maze is a-maze-ing as it is.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    Come on, people, you're too critical. I think it's fantastic what one can do these days on 24 acres of corn field. Below the "60", there is also a line of "y/s of", so it's sixty years of James, and everyone knows which James. I could imagine that most casual Bond movie watchers (below our level of sectarian cult followers) wouldn't even recognize Lazenby, so if there is limited room he is the obvious choice for being left out. As good as OHMSS may be, he did less for the franchise than the DB5. I think that maze is a-maze-ing as it is.

Yeah, truly. It’s probably very hard to make a massive corn maze. Still, Lazenby should be there. But I suppose he’s cancelled now.
    edited October 2022 Posts: 3,390

Yeah, truly. It’s probably very hard to make a massive corn maze. Still, Lazenby should be there. But I suppose he’s cancelled now.

Yeah, like what I've said, I still appreciates it for the effort, it's hard to do that.

But it needs a bit more clarity, and yes, Lazenby, it could still be a lot better than it is.

My guess is maybe that the creator of this corn maze hadn't seen OHMSS yet, so he may not be familiar with Lazenby yet.
    It is kind of interesting they elected to go with "James", rather than even just "Bond"...

Anyways, it is what it is, nothing really to get cobbed up about.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    It is kind of interesting they elected to go with "James", rather than even just "Bond"...

I wonder if they might have crossed a line making them liable to pay royalties to EoN or whomever if they had added "Bond". Maybe someone stalked them in that regard. But I'm all ears now.

They're not going to let the grass grow under their feet, that's for sure.
    As a next step, they could think of a "grass" maze...
    As a next step, they could think of a "grass" maze...

It's a kernel of an idea, that's for sure.
    "It's DOG shit, man! Labrador!"
    Stay Off the Grass!
    According to an old joke (actually, I think, Lenin said this or something similar), Germans will never make a revolution because that would require stepping on the grass.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    The maze creation as art is pretty superbly done real world.
    I'm just surprised no-one reacted to my Cheech & Chong reference here...
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Yeah I got that and resisted acknowledging @j_w_pepper. But now I have.
    According to an old joke (actually, I think, Lenin said this or something similar), Germans will never make a revolution because that would require stepping on the grass.

Not a Soviet style revolution perhaps but there were revolutions in Germany in November 1918 and in January 1933 in that they were both radical political changes from that which had went before.
    edited October 2022 Posts: 8,689
    Well, the really frightening thing about January 1933 was the fact that it was actually a sort of democratic election that ultimately made Hitler the Reich Chancellor, although his party didn't have a majority. Supported by nationalist, though not themselves fascist forces who thought they could sort of reign him in, but only enabled him to stage what was more of a coup d'état in the following months. Sounds familiar? Like something that could happen again in all sorts of places? That's the likely nightmare, not a revolution like in Russia.

PS: But we stray from the generally positive mood of this thread.
    edited October 2022 Posts: 17,804
    Well, the really frightening thing about January 1933 was the fact that it was actually a sort of democratic election that ultimately made Hitler the Reich Chancellor, although his party didn't have a majority. Supported by nationalist, though not themselves fascist forces who thought they could sort of reign him in, but only enabled him to stage what was more of a coup d'état in the following months. Sounds familiar? Like something that could happen again in all sorts of places? That's the likely nightmare, not a revolution like in Russia.

PS: But we stray from the generally positive mood of this thread.

Yes, you are of course correct. The NSDAP were the largest party in the Reichstag so that and the coming together of conservative elements arranged by Franz von Papen's intrigues brought Hitler to power. As Hitler wanted it, he was brought to power quite legally and the real Nazi revolution only fully occurred later when he was able to ditch his conservative coalition partners and rule by decree. By August 1934 and the death of the ancient Hindenburg he had assumed the powers of President as well and had become Fuhrer. By 1938 certain intrigues against Blomberg and Fritsch ensured that he was Commander-in-Chief of the German Armed Forces as well and the Nazi revolution was fully completed. This sadly made the horrors of World War II all but inevitable given Hitler's belief in Lebensraum and his associated aggressive foreign policy goals. The process of gradual Nazi revolution and the further seizure of power is known as Gleichschaltung in German.

Like you, I don't wish to stray too far into political matters in this thread. I think we're being perfectly civil though. I'm merely looking at it from a historical perspective.
    Like you, I don't wish to stray too far into political matters in this thread. I think we're being perfectly civil though. I'm merely looking at it from a historical perspective.

Yes, and I appreciate this.
    edited October 2022 Posts: 17,804

Yes, and I appreciate this.

Yes, it's good to talk here in civil terms about such history and politics that can cause high emotions even today. I've always been interested in Weimar and Nazi Germany, especially since I studied it at school and later at university. It helped that my late father was in the Home Guard as a young man and he had plenty of stories about that time and the World War II period. It brought it all to life and made you realise it was still all worryingly close to today's world.
    Yes, the funny thing is that when I was a child of, say 6 and first became conscious about WWII (small wonder, with places like Lübeck where I lived then still much in ruins), I felt that the war was ages away while in fact it had been only 17 years or so. I actually always envisioned the war period as black-and-white only and thought it was dark all day then.

The older I get, the more that war feels more recent and close to present. And that Russian war of aggression against Ukraine reminded me that it isn't necessarily all over. Although I'm happy that I'm probably among the first generation of Germans who have lived for 65+ years without their country being at war at any time.

But hey, this is supposed to be an upbeat thread, isn't it?
    Yes, I'm sure it was a lot closer to home for you. That reminds me that one of my Maths teachers at secondary school used to talk a lot about History and other non-Maths stuff (it might explain my grades!). Anyway I remember him saying that when he visited Belfast in the 1960s to study or whatever you could still see the rubble in certain places from the Blitz in 1941. Belfast was particularly affected by the Blitz as the Stormont government had given our anti-aircraft guns away to Malta, not anticipating that France would fall. So, just another example of how the past can still linger around literally decades later.

It was nice talking to you. Back to the news thread though...