And the Klebbie for worst model work in a film....page 137

Comments

• thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Yes! Controversy strikes again and I couldn't be happier. I really love when the academy quibbles with my choices. I had to remove my bias when I selected. DAF would not be the worst Bond film in my opinion. Neither would TMWTGG but I know some have different opinions. I was tempted to put TWINE in for DAD but decided to stay conventional. I was surprised that 2 Craig films ended up on the nominees. I don't dislike QOS. The editing of the film drives me nuts. I also think the director was a bit pretentious with the staging and thoughts.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    DAD gets my vote. Although it's enjoyable enough like most Bond film's are. Some of the dialogue really is bottom of the barrel.

What QOS is doing here is a mystery. A lean mean Bond thriller with a superb performance from Daniel Craig.
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    DAD and QoS battle hard for the ‘coveted’ spot. QoS just barely manages to ‘win’ because as bad and ridiculous as DAD is, it is still unmistakably a Bond film whether QoS is something else... and whatever it is it’s quite forgettable and drab - plus it’s got the worst theme song in the franchise.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited July 2020 Posts: 15,108
    jabali wrote: »
    Have to say Diamonds Are Forever for this one.

Die Another Day barely escapes this one. It's wayyy over the top, but it is competent enough in its action sequences and has enough memorable moments to keep it afloat here. The disappointment of Diamonds as a follow up to OHMSS, combined with my opinion that there are very few moments that make it worthwhile, seals the deal here.

Yeah, DAD is naff and feels style-less and tacky, but it does at least hold the attention and isn't terrible, with a few decent thrills and spills; whereas DAF has more style and a bit of class (to the dialogue mainly), but it rather bores me. Worse, because I've seen it before, when I try and watch it again I know there's nothing coming up to keep my interest. At least with Golden Gun there's the promise of the car chase or another Chris Lee bit or even just a nice bit of set design or pretty location something like that to keep you watching, but DAF doesn't really offer anything to the Bond fan who's seen it before. Tame Mustang chase or rubbish Bambi and Thumper fight? Dreary oil rig? Nah you're alright thanks :D
    BT3366 wrote: »
    Write-in votes: TWINE and AVTAK, in that order if necessary. Soap opera Bond and tired, tone all-over-the-place Bond.

NSNA may also be a more appropriate candidate.

QoS may be disliked by a number of people, but it's hardly the worst film. Craig is solid and always watchable. People seem to not like QoS because it didn't stack up to the standard CR set.

No, I think it's a very ordinary film, with nothing to it beyond the action scenes, and they vary from 'fine if uninspired' to 'unintelligible'.

I agree with your TWINE nod though. It's one of the dullest ones, and if you watch a bit of, say, TMWTGG (which I think is one of the poorest) just before you watch TWINE, you'll notice all the wit and sparkle even a bad older Bond film had just drain away. Give me DAD over TWINE any day because at least it has a bit of life about it.

AVTAK though? No way, I'll defend that with my life. Love it :)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    thedove wrote: »
    I was surprised that 2 Craig films ended up on the nominees. I don't dislike QOS. The editing of the film drives me nuts. I also think the director was a bit pretentious with the staging and thoughts.

I've often said Craig has had really weird luck as his films vary between some of the very best (CR, Sf) and the very worst (QoS). I don't count Sp as the very worst as, although it has big 'ol issues, it's not that bad.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    If TWINE was on the list, it would win hands down for me. As it is not, it's between DAD and QOS. I saw DAD with a non-Bond fan friend and he along with most of the audience enjoyed it. But at the time, I didn't. It languished at the bottom of my ranking for years.
    As to QOS, it's a film that I also had issues with. I also saw it with non-Bond fan friends and no-one liked it. I remember we all came out and went, 'Is that it?' After the excellent CR it was something of a let down. Both films have major issues for me, but DAD at least has some fun and style. Albeit completely over the top and silly. However Pierce seems to be enjoying himself, with tongue firmly in cheek. QOS has a few redeeming features, but the story just lets it down for me. Far too dour and bleak.
    QOS gets my vote.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    edited July 2020 Posts: 3,262
    Definitely QOS. At least the other nominees entertain me. TMWTGG features my favorite Moore-era villain, DAD has Brosnan's best performance as 007, DAF has terrific and quotable dialogue while SP gives Craig his Moore/Brosnan style entry(I consider CR his Dalton/Lazenby style entry). But QOS is such a letdown after the magnificent CR. If you're going to make a direct sequel to a previous entry at least plan to use the same director in advance.
    mtm wrote: »
    So it's Quantum for me. The least Bond-like Bond film, with no real idea of what it's trying to do or where to go, so devoid of inspiration it actually finishes early.

+1
    BT3366 wrote: »
    Write-in votes: TWINE and AVTAK, in that order if necessary. Soap opera Bond and tired, tone all-over-the-place Bond.

+1. They're my 002 and 003rd weakest Bond film pics respectively after QOS.

@thedove I'm very happy to see my beloved MR and OP didn't make that bottom 005 list!

For me, from plot to pacing, SP wins. It's just so grating (and I'm not just talking about the filters). Just a lazy effort and it shows.
  • LocqueLocque Escaped from a Namur prison
    QoS: It's not just a bad Bond movie, it's a bad Jason Bourne movie.
    Cant believe the hate for QOS!
    It deserves reappraisal!
    DAD, on the other hand, is an abomination!
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Quite surprised at the QoS dislike myself. It's a big step down from CR for sure, but I never thought of it as the worst.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I'd still watch all of these over many other movies though! :)
  • edited July 2020 Posts: 7,506
    I think every film should be judged on its own merits, not by comparison to its predecessor.
    jobo wrote: »
    I think every film should be judged on its own merits, not by comparison to its predecessor.

Okay - on its own merits, it's still not the worst!

My point is that many have mentioned the fact that QOS was a particular let down after CR, and therefor even worse. That is not a valid argument in my opinion.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    QOS is in my top five.

As TWINE isn t nominated, I will vote for DAD this time.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

My point is that many have mentioned the fact that QOS was a particular let down after CR, and therefor even worse. That is not a valid argument in my opinion.

I think we all judge them in relation to the other Bond films, don't we? I think it's not as good as most, if not all of them.
    It's better than lots of other films.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    edited July 2020 Posts: 5,016
    Interesting debate raging on! I quite enjoy certain aspects of all the nominations. I wonder what people are using as the worst film criteria. As I didn't spell it out I guess people are using their own yardsticks.

Is it entirely on the Bond actor? Is it the music? The story? Direction? People say DAD is an abomination but I find there are certain aspects I quite enjoy. DAF I simply love the snappy dialogue and colourful characters. TMWTGG I enjoy seeing a harder nosed Moore and Lee is marvelous.

I haven't started to do the tally but I am pretty sure that every nominee has at least 1 vote. I wonder if a future category should be worst follow-up?

Well, in fairness to those type of comments, QoS does have the distinction of being an explicitly direct sequel to the CR narrative. The two are so strongly linked that it's inescapable that they will be compared more so than other successive films.

But as I said, for me, QoS is a very flawed film that I happen to like a lot more as time goes on and for me, it doesn't deserve to be here.
    There are Bond movies that are brilliant every time you watch them and there are some you have to be in the right mood, and then there are a few that never improve! QOS us always a satisfying watch for me, there is lots of good stuff in it, and it arguably has Craigs best performance!
  • jobo wrote: »

I can understand and even agree to some degree. BUT: Bond films are often constructed by Eon in response to the successes and failures of the preceding film. FYEO was the "down-to-Earth" Bond film after the excesses of MR. Etc. If Eon judges their offerings in light of the public response to the immediate predecessor, then why shouldn't we?
    I’m not sure that it’s possible to describe why something is ‘worst’ because it’s so tied up with people’s individual tastes.

For instance I have read many reasons, all very eloquently expressed and rationally argued over many years, for why DAF is a terrible film.

Yet I love DAF, and often the reasons that people give for why they dislike it are the exact same reasons why I enjoy it so much.

What I will also say is that I am happy to watch any Bond film whenever it’s on. Unlike the ‘fans’ who moan about Star Wars films or Predator films or DC films or Star Trek films or whatever, I am happy watching any Bond film.

Even DAD, which is an atrocity, is still a very watchable atrocity.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    My obvious choice is DAD. To paraphrase the great movie critic Waldorf, "I've seen detergents leave a better film than this."
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    DAD isn't the worst because of Brosnan (I always like this guy on screen), it's not the dialogue (I understand the hate of some but it is at least okay for me). It is simply the fact that DAD is the most over the top film, it is a sci-fi comedy (with crap CGI) and this isn't my genre.
    As mentioned by others: Even the weakest Bond movies for me (MR, DAD and DAF) are films I like to watch again. They are all much more entertaining than most of the stuff on TV.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited July 2020 Posts: 16,334
    Spectre. On multiple rewatches it just gets so boring and the recycled soundtrack doesn't help.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Spectre, no question. The only film in the series I can almost never bring myself to return to, a complete waste of time and money and painfully boring to boot.
    Some suggestions for future Bondies/Klebbies:

- Best final scene as Bond: e.g. Laz in the car, Connery looking at the stars, Moore in the shower, etc.
    - Most/least believable performance playing a Russian character: e.g. Barbara Bach, Sean Bean, Ronnie Coltrane, Jeroen Krabbe, Izabella Scorupco, etc.
    - Best/worst product placement: e.g. Ford Mondeo, Omega, Perrier, Dom Perignon, etc.
    - Best MGW cameo
  • Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s
    The DRP vote goes to Qo.... *drops off perch in boredom*
  • OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.
    I feel that Diamonds Are Forever and Quantum of Solace are similar in the sense that they both followed such highs of the series and were completely utterly underwhelming. Both were missed opportunities to have a genuine revenge-driven follow up film. I'd say The World Is Not Enough is the worst Bond film, but seeing as that isn't on offer, I'm going to have to go with Die Another Day. While Brosnan provides his most self-assured performance in the role and it does have moments of promise (such as the sword-fighting sequence) the rest of the film is an utter mess filled with terrible CGI. It feels like a generic action film in the same ilk of XXX or The Fast and The Furious, IMO. The idea that General Moon is now Gustuv Graves is idiotic and the CGI surfing along with the endless cringeworthy dialogue, particularly shared between Bond and Jinx is too much to bare, unfortunately.
    Out of the list provided, it would have to be Die Another Day. All of the others, I would be happy to watch and really enjoy. DAD, I feel, I would struggle with, though it does have some redeeming elements.