And the Klebbie for worst action sequence in a film....page 141

Comments

• RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    I'd call Sheriff Pepper part of the crowd-pleasing nature of the first two Roger Moore films that contributed to their success. The films wouldn't automatically be improved by his absence in my opinion.

Christmas.
  • I think J.W. Pepper WAS a necessary component in LALD. If I must defend him here, then consider this: racism was an inherent ingredient in the storyline of LALD (both the novel and the movie.) Sorry, but it's just THERE and we're not being honest with ourselves if we try to deny it. There's plenty of black > white racism in the movie (Bond being called a honky at several points) and the film needed some off-setting white > black racism to even things out. Pepper is the embodiment of a very real element in American society ... and he allows us to see the foolishness of racism quite plainly. I would argue that the character of J.W. Pepper is appropriate to LALD but not to TMWTGG.

Now then, as regards the question before us here: I might be inclined to vote for the overall sloppy film-making in many of the special effects of DAF... but as others have pointed out, this is merely embarrassing/cringeworthy, not full-out objectionable/cringeworthy. Bond slapping the ladies in several different films gets the kick from me in this category.
    Oh okay. And what’s the obvious Gilbert & Sullivan gag in the Q scene?

"I never joke about my work, 007 !"

"What, never ?"

"No Never !"

"What, never ?"

"Hardly ever !"

• goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    The slapping (especially in TMWTGG) and the TB scene are unpleasant today.
    The Christmas joke never bothered me (yes, I know, I'm in the minority with this. ANd yes, I'm a Pepper fan, too!).
    I give my vote to DAF. A lot of this movie is cringeworthy, including these effects. It deserves a Klebbie.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    edited July 2020 Posts: 5,070
    The Bill Conti orchestra stops playing "Make it Last All Night" and I clear my throat to announce the Klebbie for most cringeworthy scene(s) goes to...Bond gets slap happy with his women! It received 7 votes!

The academy shows the following:
    • DAF and the shoddy special effects received 2 votes
    • TWINE and Christmas coming twice received 6 votes
    • TB Bond keeping silent received 4 votes
    • AVTAK Roger dropping the soap received 2 votes

We shall now turn back to the best of Bond and award a Bondie! This one comes to us by a regular member of the academy: @R1s1ngs0n submitted this category and the nominees!

We've looked at the clothes of our man Bond now lets turn it to the villains. Time to award a Bondie to best dressed villain. The nominees are:

• Dr. No he elevates the Nehru suit and compensates for no hands!
    • Emilio Largo he rocks the eye patch with some wonderful fashions!
    • Francisco Scaramanga he wears one outfit for most of the movie, but damn he makes it look so elegant and cool!
    • Franz Sanchez who says the Miami Vice look is dated! Franz shows off many great fashion choices!
    • Le Chiffre if you are going to be at the biggest poker game, you better look the part!

Dear academy members! Time for us to vote, who takes home for the Bondie for most stylish and fashion forward Bond villain!
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    edited July 2020 Posts: 2,033
    Largo is often overlooked in these parts but considering he has a disadvantage due to his stockier build, his sense of style is all the more impressive and he both wears casual chic and white dinner jackets extremely well. And of course that eye-patch is just the icing on the cake.
    Emilio FTW
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    R1s1ngs0n wrote: »
    Largo is often overlooked in these parts but considering he has a disadvantage due to his stockier build, his sense of style is all the more impressive and he both wears casual chic and white dinner jackets extremely well. And of course that eye-patch is just the icing on the cake.
    Emilio FTW

+1

Definitely Emilio Largo. Clothing wise he's the Don Draper of the Bond villains.
  • OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.
    R1s1ngs0n wrote: »
    Emilio FTW

+1

Definitely Emilio Largo. Clothing wise he's the Don Draper of the Bond villains.

+1

Thunderball is hands down one of the most stylish Bond films to date, IMO. The films tropical settling means Connery's fashion is on another level and Largo's follows in similar vain.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Dr. No kills them all.
    Dr. No set the standard for Nehru-jacketed super-villainy, and his white shoes are an alabaster cherry on the sundae of style.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Largo and Scaramanga dress very well, but I've got to with Sanchez. Some say LTK has a MV vibe going on at times, but since I love MV I actually find that a good thing. Launder it!
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I was tempted to go with Le Chiffre, however on reflection he wears pretty much the same all black suit's throughout the film.
    Sanchez is certainly a smart dresser, however I have to give my vote to Emilio Largo.
    Always immaculately attired throughout TB.
    No nomination for Blofeld in drag then? :))

Dr Julius No please
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited July 2020 Posts: 4,476
    Kamal Khan from Octopussy. But i understand that he is not nominated, because he easy won from the other ones. Thanks to clash/style of Louis Jourdan. So my vote go to Francisco Scaramanga or as i prefer to use TMWTGG.
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    Kananga would have been a good shout.

I go for Sanchez, just about over Largo. Though it is close.
    Though I love Sanchez, and think he looked stylish, have to go with Scaramanga, Lee looked fabulous in the white suit!
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    edited July 2020 Posts: 5,131
    Sanchez and Emilio Largo by far. But I’ll go with Sanchez.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Emilio Largo.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Largo, then Le Chiffre, who looked immaculate.

Goldfinger may not be the best dressed, but the use of gold in his suits is worth a mention.
    Largo is the most stylish villain, from the moment he steps out of his car on the Paris street with the coat draped over his shoulders to rocking the black Spectre scuba suit. He even slips on a double-breasted jacket after helping recover the bombs as he talks with Kutze and makes his report to Blofeld. Now that's a classy bad guy.
    Le Chiffre
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    I like the shout out @FatherValentine about Kanaga! He does look well dressed throughout the movie. Even when entering a pimpmobile! LOL!

Yes @QBranch the shades of yellow and gold that are used on Goldfinger's wardrobe are a great way to add dimension to the character. I recall Breaking Bad and how Walter White went from Green and Beige to black and dark shades. Don't discount the added character value from the wardrobe a character wears.
  • marcmarc Universal Exports
    Sanchez
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    Give me the ever screen present Christopher Lee and his wardrobe for Scaramanga.
  • Now THIS is a competition! Scaramanga's white suit is excellent -- but he's only wearing the one look throughout most of the movie. Dr. No's Nehru jacket is excellent -- but don't forget, he ALSO dons the see-through radiation suit! Extra points for him there. Le Chiffre's sombre black doesn't do much for me. Sanchez's color sense is much more to my liking. But really, Largo's fashionable duds take this category as far as I'm concerned. Thunderball doesn't get enough respect around here if you ask me -- I'll give & Largo & TB my vote.
  • And oh yes: props to @IGotaBrudder for the nomination of Blofeld in drag...
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Now THIS is a competition! Scaramanga's white suit is excellent -- but he's only wearing the one look throughout most of the movie.

Yeah, and my memory of him is him wearing a lot of leisure suit looks, from stealing Bond's safari suit look right down to his tracksuit look. I'm not getting a huge amount of style vibes from the guy! :)
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Scaramanga
    Hm... Dr. No marked the basic aestethics of about 50% of all cinema's evil megalomaniac villains, so, my vote goes for him.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    I'll go with Largo here. We're it not for that blue track suit I may have gone Scaramanga...