And the Bondie for best real life setting featured in a climax is....page 139

Comments

I know its not on the list, but I do quite like Goldfinger's golden infused tuxedo that he wears during the laser scene.

But from the list, Largo easily has the best fashion of the listed villains.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    While Dr. No ‘s Nehru suit is iconic; Emilio Largo’s fashion sense is better rounded 😊. I could see myself buying his wardrobe if I wanted to impress a lady!
  • Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s
    Dr No, I reckon I could rock that look any day of the week!
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    The slapping (especially in TMWTGG) and the TB scene are unpleasant today.
    The Christmas joke never bothered me (yes, I know, I'm in the minority with this. ANd yes, I'm a Pepper fan, too!).
    I give my vote to DAF. A lot of this movie is cringeworthy, including these effects. It deserves a Klebbie.

The slapping in OHMSS bothers me the most, because it's a love story.

I've been rewatching the films in order and Bond slaps women in many of the early films: FRWL, GF, OHMSS, DAF, TMWTGG...
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    @echo yes Tracy is the one Bondgirl slapped not only by Bond but also by her father. Draco knocking out the own daughter is also too much.

I can't vote for the best dressed villai (but it nevertheless is a great idea for a Bondie). There are a few moments where I think Bond (when he meets Jill Masterson or his pink tie in DAF) or a Bondgirl (the brown thing Goodhead is wearing in Venice) are dressed strange/bad but I wouldn't recognize the best dressed person and leave the place for more fashion-concious fans.
    edited July 2020 Posts: 6,036
    I'll write in Kananga for the best-dressed.

And apropo of nothing, "I'm Alonso Mosley!"
    echo wrote: »
    I'll write in Kananga for the best-dressed.

And apropo of nothing, "I'm Alonso Mosley!"

Don't forget the shades.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    As the Bill Conti orchestra plays "I'm Too Sexy" I stride to the stage and strike a pose! The Bondie for the best dressed villain is Emil Largo from TB. The fashion academy voted this way:
    • Largo received 11 votes
    • Dr. No received 5 votes
    • Sanchez received 4 votes
    • Scaramanga received 3 votes
    • Le Chiffire received 1 vote

Okay time to swing back to Klebbie! This is the big one. This is for worst picture! The series has had it's fair share of clunkers. Lets see which one the academy decides is the worst of the worst. Lets Look at the nominees:
    • Diamonds are Forever...yes Connery returned but we have Blofeld in drag and some cheesy effects.
    • Quantum of Solace...expectations were high after CR and this film ended up confusing people. Crazy edits and a rather uninspired plot contributed to this ending up on our list.
    • The Man With The Golden Gun...Moore and Lee you would think this would not make the list. But we see cameras in mirrors, we have Goodnight being incompetent and the return of Sherriff Pepper shoehorned in to the film.
    • Die Another Day...Brosnan continued his uneven films. CGI surfing, a Bond girl that didn't resonate for some. Never mind the Ice Palace that clearly looked like a set.
    • Spectre...Craig and the long awaited return of SPECTRE! What could go wrong? A lot apparently, from script leaks, to having Blofeld be a step brother of Bond. This was a mess of a film.

Okay my dear academy members! What do you deem to be the worst film of the series.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    MR. Not nominated?Okay, DAD deserves it, too. (DAF is another disappointment...)
    I like all the Bond movies, even the non-EON ones. But I remember commenting that QOS was too generic for my tastes, so there it is.

I suppose I will have to vote for DAD although DAF deserves a Klebbie too...
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    For me, it's Diamonds are Forever. Aside from the issues mentioned in the nomination, it's the biggest crime against it's source material listed here. It also suffers, unluckily for itself, due to it being a totally inappropriate follow up to OHMSS (I know we shouldn't judge a film based on other films, but given how OHMSS ended, a dramatic follow up of the murder of Tracy is an enormous missed opportunity.

I like QoS a lot despite it's problems, as a more down to earth and exciting Bond film. I like the themes on revenge, and the climax at Perla de los Dunas.

I liked TMWTGG more the last time I watched it, love the conceit of the golden gun, love the assassin vs. assassin theme, love Christopher Lee of course.

DAD is another film I liked a lot more on my last viewing than I expected I would. It absolutely has it's problems, but I like Halle Berry here, I like Toby Jones as well (my problem is with the "gene therapy" plot much more than it is with either Colonel Moon or Gustav Graves, or their respective actors). It's over the top but it has a lot of fun moments. And I love the car battle (minus all the invisible stuff).

SP Is another one I love. It has a ton of problems and is also a big missed opportunity, but for me there is a lot to love here (I would have replaced this nomination with Octopussy, personally). I love the PTS, everything in Rome, the Spectre meeting (sans car chase which I didn't love), Bond's meeting with White, L'Americain in Tangier, the train fight with Hinx, everything basically with Blofeld in Nowhere, Morocco (except the step brother angle), the torture scene, and Bond's banter with big bad Blofeld in the basement of the blown up building.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    easily DAD.
  • DAF, TMWTGG, and DAD all have points in their "favor" for this competition... but SPECTRE is the absolute worst Bond film of all IMHO. The whole step-brother angle just ruined this one for me. SPECTRE for the "win" here.
    DAD is worse than DAF and TMWTGG, so DAD gets my vote.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited July 2020 Posts: 15,229
    It's between Quantum and Diamonds for me. DAF just falls apart, there aren't any set pieces of note, the locations are boring... it's just all rather dull. But it does have a nice score, some great lines, an occasional sense of fun and some memorable moments.

So it's Quantum for me. The least Bond-like Bond film, with no real idea of what it's trying to do or where to go, so devoid of inspiration it actually finishes early.
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    All criticisms of QoS not being Bondian are valid. But I can enjoy it. I like the music. I like the look. I like Craig and Wright.

I have to go with SP. It's one thing to be incompetent or a bit naff, but it's another thing entirely to introduce themes and ideas that harm not only the film itself, but also those that preceded it, and also infect those that come after. SP has been disastrous for the franchise as far as I am concerned. And it's not even remotely fun, interesting, or exciting.
    Die Another Day

Surprised not to see AVTAK in this, as it's commonly included in people's bottom-3.
  • jabalijabali Los Angeles
    edited July 2020 Posts: 43
    Have to say Diamonds Are Forever for this one.

Die Another Day barely escapes this one. It's wayyy over the top, but it is competent enough in its action sequences and has enough memorable moments to keep it afloat here. The disappointment of Diamonds as a follow up to OHMSS, combined with my opinion that there are very few moments that make it worthwhile, seals the deal here.

Write-in votes: TWINE and AVTAK, in that order if necessary. Soap opera Bond and tired, tone all-over-the-place Bond.

NSNA may also be a more appropriate candidate.

QoS may be disliked by a number of people, but it's hardly the worst film. Craig is solid and always watchable. People seem to not like QoS because it didn't stack up to the standard CR set.

SP is more disappointing than bad. DAD is a perennial worst pick, but I find it more entertaining than the two I wrote in, same with DAF and TMWTGG.
    As I am IGotABrudder (small world!) it is inevitable that I must defend DAF’s honour. It has never been out of my top three over the last forty years, and I have watched it more times than I have watched any of the others. What others see as its failings - its slapdash quality, its air of sleaze, Vegas, Tiffany, oil rig, paunchy Sean, Blofeld in drag, Ca-Ca-Cairo, to mention just a few - are all aspects that I enjoy. So there.

I like watching QOS and TMWTGG too. SP has problems, it’s not great, but it’s not terrible.

DAD for me please. An abomination of a film. A real shocker.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Diamonds Are Forever has always been my least favourite Bond film. So it gets my vote, here.
    DIE ANOTHER DAY...without question!
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    I know it's cliche, but DAD is the bottom of my rankings for enjoyment, so its pretty straight forward here.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    I like all these movies, so no vote for me. They're all better than TWINE, certainly.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Out of those DAD. My write in would be FYEO. Not in terms of being the worst, just my least favorite.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    The idea that DAD is worse than YOLT, absent nostalgia, is just plain baffling.
  • Tokoloshe2Tokoloshe2 Northern Ireland
    DAF gets my vote. Almost no redeeming features, it's a shockingly badly made film in so many ways.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    The idea that DAD is worse than YOLT, absent nostalgia, is just plain baffling.

YOLT may have gotten my vote as well, for its heinous crimes against the source material.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited July 2020 Posts: 6,816
    TMWTGG and QOS have no place in this one I'd say, it's SP v DAF for me. While they're both rather poor, DAF takes the trophy imo.