And the Bondie for inspired casting/under-rated performance for an actor...page 134

Comments

• PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    edited May 2020 Posts: 3,262
    James Bond versus Che Che in a hotel room in On Her Majesty's Secret Service

• HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited May 2020 Posts: 4,399
    oh this is a no brainer for me...

Bond vs Grant in From Russia With Love

IMO, its not just solely about the fight itself - which is still very impressive, and holds up strong even after all these years - but it's more about the build up to it... i liken it to a perfectly crafted bit of suspense in a horror movie, that gives you a shocking payoff.. the whole time Grant is stalking Bond, killing Kerim Bay, then impersonating Nash and holding Bond at gunpoint for his own sick amusement - the suspense in all of that is so palpable.. and the fight itself is a beautiful crescendo to a master stroke of cat and mouse play that would give Michael Myers a run for his money..
  • I'm afraid this is going to be a blow-out. Bond vs. Grant on the train in FRWL.
    It's got to be Bond and Grant. One of the most influential movie scenes of the era.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    James Bond versus Che Che in a hotel room in On Her Majesty's Secret Service

+1. Although the one in FRWL is also up there.
    Bond vs. Red Grant easily
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    Bond vs Che Che for me!
  • Agent_OneAgent_One Ireland
    edited May 2020 Posts: 280
    Bond vs Red Grant, no contest.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited May 2020 Posts: 6,786
    DAF and TSWLM are fine but nothing special.

QOS a clear third place here.

FRWL and OHMSS are phenomenal, but I'll go with OHMSS.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited May 2020 Posts: 14,956
    The Jaws one is fine but a bit unconvincing, the DAF lift fight is pretty good, Mr Slate in QoS is nicely brutal but as I remember the editing makes it hard to follow (quite unlike similar scenes in the Bourne films), the Che Che OHMSS fight is also pretty decent and really energetic but again the editing harms it, in this case it's the rather cartoonish speeding up which makes it look silly.

It's obviously the FRWL fight that'll win it, it really is rather brilliant (despite that one quite funny bit where Bond does a really slow and telegraphed jump onto Grant, only for Grant to slowly roll out of the way :D ).
  • While the FRWL train sequence is of course the most iconic, I think that the hotel room fight from OHMSS is much better choreographed and therefore intense. Point goes to the Peter Hunt's movie.
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    FRWL and it's no contest. OHMSS is superb as well.
  • Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s
    The vote from the DRP goes to FRWL, although if the epic battle between Mary Goodnight and Bond’s expensive collection of silk dressing-gowns had been up for nomination it would have been the runaway winner!
    James Bond versus Red Grant in a train compartment in From Russia with Love
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    FRWL train compartment
    James Bond versus Peter Franks in an elevator in Diamonds are Forever
    &

these are both my favorites and not by accident both Connery both are really life and death fights with a lot of tension.
    i will chose the elevator even if I like both best but the train is bound to get the votes when this one is just as brilliant.
  • SaintMark wrote: »
    James Bond versus Peter Franks in an elevator in Diamonds are Forever
    &

these are both my favorites and not by accident both Connery both are really life and death fights with a lot of tension.
    i will chose the elevator even if I like both best but the train is bound to get the votes when this one is just as brilliant.

The elevator fight with Peter Franks is easily my second choice in this particular competition. But the Red Grant fight is totally iconic!
    Both are in my humble opinion. But then again I am Dutch and think that the action was supposed to be in the Netherlands even if it is probably filmed in London, I still go nationalistic on this one.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    We are seeing some variety in the ballots though one is heads and shoulders above the rest in terms of votes. Lets see how the rest of the academy votes.

I agree that the elevator fight has some good tension and both men being so big and fighting in a confined space is pretty cool.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    SaintMark wrote: »
    Both are in my humble opinion. But then again I am Dutch and think that the action was supposed to be in the Netherlands even if it is probably filmed in London, I still go nationalistic on this one.

I hope you have faster lifts in the real Netherlands :)
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Would the Bond-006 fight in the antenna room count. I'd change my vote for that in a heartbeat
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    I considered that one and also the fight in the stairwell for CR. But I thought they were a bit spread out and decided to keep in small. I can see them coming up in a future category. It was also why I didn't choose Hinx versus Bond as it goes through the train.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Tough choice to make, as usual. I love all these fights. My first instinct was to narrow it down to FRWL vs DAF, but now I think I'm going to go with OHMSS. That is one brutal, fast-paced, intense fight. I also love the sound, the energetic editing and the sped-up shots. FRWL and DAF are in second/third place, in whatever order.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    thedove wrote: »
    I considered that one and also the fight in the stairwell for CR. But I thought they were a bit spread out and decided to keep in small. I can see them coming up in a future category. It was also why I didn't choose Hinx versus Bond as it goes through the train.

Fair enough, I'd have been tempted to go with Hinx.
    Hinx versus red Grant is FRWL without a second thought, the Hinx fight was poorly choreographed. Perhaps only for Craig fans a highlight but I am not sure why.
    edited May 2020 Posts: 7,526
    Hinx versus red Grant is FRWL

That would have been some fight. ;)
    I like it because I like it, and I certainly don't need to defend it to you, @SaintMark. I am a Craig fan, as I am a Brosnan fan, a Dalton fan, a Moore fan... you get the point.
    for me it was not a fight in close confinement in a train were suddenly nobody else but 007, Hinx were and even the kitchen was totally empty, like all action scenes from SP there were empty streets and empty train, it is like the movie took place outside of any world. Sp was a piss poor action movie as the action-scenes lacked any tension.
    Except the PTS which felt like CGI in the chopper.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    The only fights that actually compete for me among the five mentioned are Bond/Grant from FRWL and Bond/Franks from DAF. They're both rather great. But I'll vote for the Red Grant fight on the Orient Express. Did I say that FRWL is the greatest Bond movie ever anyway?
    for me it was not a fight in close confinement in a train were suddenly nobody else but 007, Hinx were and even the kitchen was totally empty, like all action scenes from SP there were empty streets and empty train, it is like the movie took place outside of any world. Sp was a piss poor action movie as the action-scenes lacked any tension.
    Except the PTS which felt like CGI in the chopper.

I agree with you, that it was weirdly empty in both the train fight, and the car chase in Rome. I'd still say there was tension in the Hinx fight though.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    Bond vs. Grant. It's gotta be for me!