And the Bondie for inspired casting/under-rated performance for an actress...page 134

Comments

• j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I'm with the GF/DAF crowd. Not that I find the DAF PTS particularly bad, but bad enough in comparison here. Oh, yes, and Marie is found on the beach of the Hotel du Cap-Eden-Roc, Antibes, Alpes-Maritimes, France.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    peter wrote: »
    GF Bondie.

DAF Klebbie

Same for me. NSNA is also a bit disappointing (not really a PTS) but the DAF PTS is by far the weakest of all the Bond movies.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Goldfinger- Bondie
    NSNA- Klebbie
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    Bondie: TB
    Klebbie: NSNA
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    FRWL, GF and TB are all really strong imo.

FRWL is tense and claustrophobic with superb camera-angles. TB is a lot fun with both the jetpack and the DB5 making an appearance. Though for me it's also GF who takes the cake, it's just the right balance between quirky and thrilling.

The other ones are considerably less phenomenal, but YOLT does set up the main story well with poor Chris' fate being especially haunting. NSNA is okay, though doesn't really feel like a pts to me with the credits running over it.

Afraid I will have to give another Klebbie to DAF however. Much like with the title songs, I don't dislike any pts, though DAF has the single worst moment in any of them: "Cai, Cai, Cairoooooo!"
    Bondie: GF
    Klebbie: YOLT (Bad special effects)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    NSNA's isn't amazing but I tend to think it does little wrong: a little bit of action with a nice little twist at the end. YOLT's has the space sequence which is haunting and quite powerful and has one of the best pieces of music in the whole series- I think that's pretty great to be honest. DAF's has Bond pouring a load of mud over a guy in a dingy room, then lightly tapping Blofeld with a lamp: I think it's weird and quite rubbish. Plus Bond gets to strangle a woman- I'm worried about you, Guy Hamilton.
    I tend to rate TB's towards the bottom too- I don't think the fight is all that great and the jetpack and waterspray are weird gadgets used weirdly. But it is at least pacy and full of eye-catching things.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Bondie: GF and the seagull snorkel for the win. Number 1 or 2 on my list.

Klebbie: DAF, although I really like the mud bath scene. Connery does that awesome move of levering the guard into the other then they topple like bowling pins. I wanna do that move. The choreography has a nice flow to it here. And for someone apparently 'out of shape', Connery is bloody quick on his feet to dodge the thrusts of Nofeld's bone knife...

Everything before the mud bath scene is of little consequence, but I gotta award points to the inclusion of a character in a Fez hat. The Fez would pop up in later Bond adventures, namely worn by the character Mr Fez in one of the games, but this guy in DAF is probably the OG.

Yes, NSNA's PTS is the Orion logo in space...which always brings a smile to my face.
  • edited April 17 Posts: 2,911
    In DAF’s defence its main problem is that it’s badly made (bad dubbing, awful choreography etc - the later Hamilton films really have some atrocious filmmaking at times). The pace of the sequence itself is actually ok, and I think as a PTS it bridges the gap between OHMSS and this one quite well. It’s almost a ‘soft reboot’. I think it works despite its flaws, and is arguably better than TB’s. It even reintroduces Connery quite well (albeit with the ‘Bond, James Bond’ clearly sped up - again, another bizarre issue).

For the worst Connery PTS I’ll go NSNA. It’s a cool idea but everything about it is wrong - the theme tune is weak, we never quite get that good build up to reintroducing Connery, and all in all it’s just not a very exciting sequence.

Best or at least my favourite is FRWL.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    edited April 17 Posts: 1,691
    Best: GF
    Worst: YOLT. It's just so immensely stupid. Maybe not the very first time you see it, but once you have, it's clear that the death-faking makes zero sense.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Bondie goes to TB, as it is my favorite film and the jetpack actually worked, allthough picking it up by the exhausts may not be a good idea. But the flight was real, which makes it very Bondian.

Klebbie goes to YOLT. As has been said, the faking death has no added value whatsoever. And the space bit serves the story for sure, but things like that were done better by the Thunderbirds.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Bondie: GF
    Klebbie: DAF (but I love the cat at the end)
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    Bondie: Goldfinger
    Klebbie: Never Say Never Again (yet again!) :))

If I'm truthful, however, I actually enjoy all of the Connery PTS in some way.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Time to award the Bondie and Klebbie.

The Bondie for best PTS of a Connery film is Goldfinger Auric would be pleased to score a golden statue. (if any creative souls want to provide us with a mock up of what a Bondie might look like!)

The Klebbie for worst PTS of a Connery film is Diamonds Are Forever would Hamilton be pleased to win best and worst? LOL!

The voting for the Bondie reveals that GF received 16 votes, TB 2 votes and 1 vote for FRWL,

The voting for the Klebbie reveals that DAF received 8 votes, YOLT received 5 votes and NSNA received 6 votes.

Let us move to the Brosnan films and vote for the best and worst PTS. By this time in the series the BIG stunt was in for the PTS so these are rather large and excessive in their nature. Which one do people prefer:
    • Goldeneye Dam this is a great PTS! Hard not to jump and say this one starts with a bang and never seems to let up.
    • Tomorrow Never Dies Bond doing his job! Some things blow up and Bond asks where the Admiral wants his bombs.
    • The World Is Not Enough the longest PTS in history. Q makes an appearance as does M and of course the Cigar girl!
    • Die Another Day it hovers around and involves some diamonds and exotic cars. An anger management therapist gets fired!

All right dear academy, which one gets the Bondie and which deserves a kick in the shins?
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    edited April 18 Posts: 3,347
    Bondie: GE
    Klebbie: DAD

Closer than the normal GE is best DAD worst discussion though. Was a tight race for a Bondie with TND. And I actually don’t care much for TWINE as large as it is in scale it went on too long for me
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    edited April 18 Posts: 4,398
    The DAD PTS is a master piece compared to the DAF PTS but it gets the Klebbie in this round.
    TWINE PTS is too long but the balcony jump has style and the boat chase is over the top fun.
    TND has too many explosions but the build-up of the tension is great.
    Of course, there can be only one winner here: GE: the dam jump is perfection and the rest is great, too. I always love the line : " You can't win" and how Bond shows that the villain was too optimistic.

@ProfJoeButcher I wonder if you give the Klebbie to GE because this one doesn't make sense geographically and the fake death is once again far away from logic?

Klebbie to them all for me!! 😂
    edited April 19 Posts: 13,936
    Bondie: TND

TND is like...first or second on my overall list. That or GF. TND's all out and balls to the wall. I feel like this scene (and film) was tailor-made for ME. I feel like there should be a simple credit at the end of the PTS saying, 'For Andy'. Just a pity we didn't see Pierce unfold that rifle.

Klebbie: TWINE

I like the TWINE PTS a lot, but yeah, the duration - having the title sequence appear that late in the day gives it a little less impact for me. It screws with the flow. Imagine if the title sequence and Garbage's theme appeared later. Like after the ski scene. That's kinda how it feels to me, sometimes. Maybe it's just a case of me being too comfortable with what came before: the familiarity of a typical 5-10min PTS.

And showing Bond again directly after the gun barrel is a big no-no for me. It's like:

Gun barrel opens, and "Ta-da! Here's James Bond!" Then the iris opens up on the streets of Bilbao, and uh, "Ta-da! Here's James Bond! You just saw him a second ago, but here he is again! No wait- it's different this time - he's wearing glasses. Surprise!"

Bank scene and Q-Boat chase is flipping awesome though. Let's get a Q-boat for B26, EON.

GE and DAD are excellent.. Brosnan's PTSs were pretty consistent in quality, weren't they?
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    @ProfJoeButcher I wonder if you give the Klebbie to GE because this one doesn't make sense geographically and the fake death is once again far away from logic?

No, GE's fake death is also incredibly stupid, but it requires an extra moment's thought, significantly later in the film, for it to be apparent. It also looks and sounds pretty great, whereas YOLT's has no real positive qualities to it.

My Bondie, though, goes to TND, and my Klebbie to TWINE, which is just bloated and too obviously borrowed from the film proper.

The DAD PTS is a master piece compared to the DAF PTS but it gets the Klebbie in this round.
    TWINE PTS is too long but the balcony jump has style and the boat chase is over the top fun.
    TND has too many explosions but the build-up of the tension is great.
    Of course, there can be only one winner here: GE: the dam jump is perfection and the rest is great, too. I always love the line : " You can't win" and how Bond shows that the villain was too optimistic.

And James Bond flying!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited April 19 Posts: 14,963
    + TND. It's just such an elegantly designed action sequence; a superb concept, excellent stunts, builds and builds and with an original and properly funny feelgood pay off. The whole situation is just a great idea and I can't think of anything similar in any other action movie to this point- it's great. I think it's one of if not the best PTS in the whole series.
    Very close second place to GE though as that is an excellent sequence too, and is much more important to the story of the whole film; I just prefer the pace of TND.

- TWINE. Feels messy and slightly thrown together, seriously lacking in style (look at that dull, dull office set- imagine that in a 60s or 70s Bond movie), Bilbao looks miserable (why aren't we in Switzerland??), the window escape is just Bond jumping out of a window, serious pace issues as we move to London, then the boat chase is good fun but also very episodic (made of lots of little individual moments stuck together) and doesn't have the sort of sweep of the TND sequence.
    Best - GE. Despite the geography that makes no sense (although honestly, who cares) I think this is one of the best introductions to a new Bond.

Worst - TWINE. It’s not bad. I don’t even mind the length, it just lacks a bit of that Bondian vibrancy in terms of cinematography and action sequences.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    TND for the Bondie, no doubt in my mind.

TWINE for the Klebbie. Overlong, convoluted, and the yet-another-boat chase (while in itself quite nicely executed) doesn't really do anything for the story. Oh, wait, most of this could also be said about the entire film, so at least it fits perfectly.
    We should, sometime, do a Bondie/Klebbie for the many times Bond swings or hangs from something in TWINE, of which there are a whopping FIVE instances. I mean, he dangles from everything in this movie except actual twine.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    QBranch wrote: »
    We should, sometime, do a Bondie/Klebbie for the many times Bond swings or hangs from something in TWINE, of which there are a whopping FIVE instances. I mean, he dangles from everything in this movie except actual twine.

Lovely :D
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    QBranch wrote: »

LOL. Dang!
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Goldeneye- Bondie
    TWINE- Klebbie. It's just too long. The only long PTS that makes sense was NTTD
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    mtm wrote: »
    + TND. It's just such an elegantly designed action sequence; a superb concept, excellent stunts, builds and builds and with an original and properly funny feelgood pay off. The whole situation is just a great idea and I can't think of anything similar in any other action movie to this point- it's great. I think it's one of if not the best PTS in the whole series.
    Very close second place to GE though as that is an excellent sequence too, and is much more important to the story of the whole film; I just prefer the pace of TND.

- TWINE. Feels messy and slightly thrown together, seriously lacking in style (look at that dull, dull office set- imagine that in a 60s or 70s Bond movie), Bilbao looks miserable (why aren't we in Switzerland??), the window escape is just Bond jumping out of a window, serious pace issues as we move to London, then the boat chase is good fun but also very episodic (made of lots of little individual moments stuck together) and doesn't have the sort of sweep of the TND sequence.

I can't disagree with either of these @mtm

TND's opening has more solid one-liners than the whole of TWINE, including two of my all time favorites...

What the hell is he doing?
    His job!

White Knight to White Rook. I've evacuated the area. As the Admiral where he's like his bombs delivered....
    "With all due respect, M, sometimes I don't think you have the balls for this job."
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Bondie goes to TND
    Klebbie for TWINE

I like all of the Brosnan PTS, though. The one for TND is just a wonderfully put together mini-movie on its own, though.