TV Music themes, is it me?

Comments

• thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    A cast of 2 and a long intro. Well edited to show you what was about to come! Some laughs and some action!

This one always got me smiling! Loved the ending with the hat throw at the end.

• DwayneDwayne New York City
    As several of you have noted, the economics of the industry means that it is very unlikely that we’ll ever have such riches again. Some of these show openings are like works of art. We might as demand Overtures and Intermissions be added to movie screenings 😊 but like those lost artifacts, I don’t think this era will return. It’s life I guess ☹.

Since we’ve already posted The Avengers (series 5) and The New Avengers, for (near) completeness:
    The Avengers (series 3 w/Honor Blackman as Cathy Gale)

The Avengers (series 4 – B/W w/Diana Rigg as Emma Peel)

The Avengers (series 6 w/Linda Thorson as Tara King) the “rare” opening.

The Avengers (series 6 w/Linda Thorson as Tara King) the “traditional” opening.

BTW: While Diana will always be tops with me, I thought that Linda was very cute. I’ve
    often wondered would the show have worked with stronger scripts or if the relationship between her (Tara) and Steed was just too much of a change for some viewers.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Loved this as a kid. Still do.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    thedove wrote: »
    Compare the re-boot opening to Hawaii 5-O. We have a synth sounding theme that runs 35 seconds. The original was 1 minute and had much more style and panache.

SWAT one is 30 and 34 seconds, but les nerves..

• thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    That is a classic! Iconic and yet so simple.

This one always brings a smile to my face!

I saw this one in reruns! Didn't realize that it had the same creators as Columbo. I loved Mannix. This opening feels a bit cinematic!

Dwayne wrote: »
    As several of you have noted, the economics of the industry means that it is very unlikely that we’ll ever have such riches again. Some of these show openings are like works of art. We might as demand Overtures and Intermissions be added to movie screenings 😊 but like those lost artifacts, I don’t think this era will return. It’s life I guess ☹.

Since we’ve already posted The Avengers (series 5) and The New Avengers, for (near) completeness:
    The Avengers (series 3 w/Honor Blackman as Cathy Gale)

The Avengers (series 4 – B/W w/Diana Rigg as Emma Peel)

The Avengers (series 6 w/Linda Thorson as Tara King) the “rare” opening.

The Avengers (series 6 w/Linda Thorson as Tara King) the “traditional” opening.

BTW: While Diana will always be tops with me, I thought that Linda was very cute. I’ve
    often wondered would the show have worked with stronger scripts or if the relationship between her (Tara) and Steed was just too much of a change for some viewers.

The dagger that did in The Avengers was ABC in the U.S. scheduled it directly against Laugh-in, one of the biggest hits of the late '60s and since they decided to leave it in that same slot the whole season kind of made it a sacrificial lamb. It was U.S. sales that kept The Avengers going from what I've read as I guess Linda Thorson was pretty well liked in places like France. I really don't think if Diana Rigg had stayed that the series could've lasted in that time slot.
    A few oldies but goodies from France :

First (and last) season of Les Chevaliers du Ciel :

And the second season :

Corsaires et Flibustiers :

Les Saintes Chéries :

WWII drama Quand la Liberté venait du Ciel :

• GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Belgian, French and Quebecer audiences will no doubt recognise this TV theme:

Oh the memories...
    edited April 2020 Posts: 2,598
    I'm really dating myself here. But as a child of the late 1960s/early 1970s.... :-) At one point in 1972-1973, this was ABC's Friday night line-up (US).

The Brady Bunch (ABC 1969 – 1974) BTW, Member of “Team Jan” on the rare occasions when I watched the show.

The Partridge Family (ABC 1970 – 1974) Oddly, I actually brought a couple of “their” albums back in the day (I know, I’ll hand in my “Man Card” now).

Room 222 (ABC 1969 – 1974)

The Odd Couple (ABC 1970 – 1975)

Love, American Style (ABC 1969 – 1974) The version of this theme was sung by “The Cowsills” for the first season only. And yes, “Happy Days” did originate as a segment on LAS.

• edited April 2020 Posts: 17,241
    GoldenGun wrote: »

Oh the memories...

Don't have to be Belgian, French or Québécois to recognise that theme! No doubt one of the most thrilling animated series I used to watch as a kid.
    Dwayne wrote: »
    I'm really dating myself here. But as a child of the late 1960s/early 1970s.... :-) At one point in 1972-1973, this was ABC's Friday night line-up (US).

The Brady Bunch (ABC 1969 – 1974) BTW, Member of “Team Jan” on the rare occasions when I watched the show.

The Partridge Family (ABC 1970 – 1974) Oddly, I actually brought a couple of “their” albums back in the day (I know, I’ll hand in my “Man Card” now).

Room 222 (ABC 1969 – 1974)

The Odd Couple (ABC 1970 – 1975)

Love, American Style (ABC 1969 – 1974) The version of this theme was sung by “The Cowsills” for the first season only. And yes, “Happy Days” did originate as a segment on LAS.
    I was there with you. I started kindergarten that season, but these were burned into my mind. I own DVD seasons of Odd Couple and Partridge Family. They actually still hold up. Brady Bunch episodes I know by heart.

Oh the memories...

Don't have to be Belgian, French or Québécois to recognise that theme! No doubt one of the most thrilling animated series I used to watch as a kid.

I'm very glad to hear that @Torgeirtrap! :)

Now that we're on shows I used to watch as a kid, I obviously can't leave out the Thunderbirds:

If I had to list all the iconic TV themes of yesteryear it would take forever. So I’ll just mention the 3 that I consider all-timers!!

1. KNIGHT RIDER (1982)
    2. AIRWOLF (1984)
    3. HAWAII FIVE-O (1968)

P.S. I would pick FIVE-O as my all-time favorite TV show. At one time it was “24” (powerful show!) but these days I’m tired of serialized shows. I long for the days of simpler entertainment and the stand-alone format. I can’t just watch an episode of “24” without starting a full season rewatch and these days I’m just not in the mood for it. My favorite decade for TV was the 60s, 70s, and 80s. I can reach for an episode of numerous shows from those decades no problem and enjoy them no matter how many times I’ve seen them. FIVE-O in particular! Book ‘em Danno!
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited May 2020 Posts: 17,727
    One of the greatest TV themes of all time (in my humble opinion) is Ron Grainer's Tales of the Unexpected. It's also one of my favourite TV series. Here is the theme in full:

And here are the accompanying titles and end credits as you would normally see them in an episode:

An oldie but goldie. All my youth :

And in the same vein, from Down Under this time :

Gerard wrote: »
    An oldie but goldie. All my youth :

And in the same vein, from Down Under this time :

I used to watch those as a child.

Oh the memories...

I'm very glad to hear that @Torgeirtrap! :)

I used to watch Tintin during the 90's, but I believe they aired episodes here much later than that, as well. Looks like some episodes are available on Youtube; perhaps it's time to watch Tintin again!
    This will mean nothing to anyone outside of the UK but, especially on Sunday afternoons, brings back great memories........

Thanks @Gerald. Now I have that darn “Skippy” theme song stuck in my head 😊. In the US the TV was shown on Saturday mornings (?), but I remember almost nothing about it…other than that darn song. That said, now that I see Youtube clips of Liza Goddard (“Clancy”)…….
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited May 2020 Posts: 23,102
    patb wrote: »
    This will mean nothing to anyone outside of the UK but, especially on Sunday afternoons, brings back great memories........

Jim Bowen Legend, Sunday 'You can't beat a bit of Bully'

God knows where people put the motor boat they won if they were not on the coast or near a river :)) Joking aside I always assumed they were offered the cash equivalent of prizes.
    You know that you’re old when the cartoons you love are too retro for the Boomerang Network, but they had memorable theme songs.
    “Speed Racer” (1967)

…ah, my first childhood crush – Trixie

And I’ll add four more:
    “Underdog” (1964 – 1973)

“Dudley Do Right” (1969 -1970)

“George of the Jungle” (1967)

Super Chicken” (1967)

"...When you find yourself in danger,
    When you're threatened by a stranger,
    When it looks like you will take a lickin', (puk, puk, puk)
    There is someone waiting,
    Who will hurry up and rescue you,
    Just Call for Super Chicken! (puk ack!)

Fred, if you're afraid you'll have to overlook it,
    Besides you knew the job was dangerous when you took it (puk ack!)

He will drink his super sauce
    And throw the bad guys for a loss
    And he will bring them in alive and kickin' (puk, puk, puk)
    There is one thing you should learn
    When there is no one else to turn to
    Call for Super Chicken! (puk, puk, puk)
    Call for Super Chicken! (puk ack!)…."

On a dare, a girl that I once worked with sung this in a staff meeting…just like Jerry Steinfeld (I added the chicken sounds!).
    In watching these cartoons, the thing that stands out, especially in the case of those of Jay Ward, is just how funny and subversive they were (and are).
  • edited May 2020 Posts: 17,241
    I must admit I didn't know George of the Jungle was a cartoon series. I'm only familiar with the 1997 film starring Brendan Fraser.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    The Man From Thrush (From The TV Show “The Man From U.N.C.L.E”)
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    While commercial tv's theme tunes have effectively disappeared some of the pay and streaming services have long intros - HBO specifically have minute long intros and shows like The Sopranos and Game of Thrones have opening title sequences that are works of art with iconic music. Netflix too has long intros (they created the 'skip intro' button for it!). While some of the theme music may not be as unbiqutious as it once was the visual intros are still long and beautiful. Babylon Berlin and True Detective are good examples.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Some of my favorite TV show intros.

Back to France with Arsène Lupin. Here's the main theme :

And the two songs, both sung by Jacques Dutronc :

I loved Arsene Lupin. Here is another iconic theme from a bit later.
    I loved Arsene Lupin. Here is another iconic theme from a bit later.

Wow, amazing theme, amazing show.